• 88 results
#1 Edited by xSuperGirl (20 posts) -

If the next Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo was announced to be released in a few days, do you think it would be the 'right' time? In todays hard economy, prices going up, people losing jobs etc and also with our current consoles, have they been used to their full potential?

Personally I am quite happy with my current consoles for the next 3 years or so.

#2 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

Well my body is ready.

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

Yes, now stop asking.

#4 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

No love for Nitendo?

#5 Posted by Gamer_152 (14050 posts) -

We're reaching the technical limits of what current consoles can do, and while the economy may not be in the best shape it's ever been, most people still seem to have no problem buying up luxuries when they want them. I think most will be able to afford the new consoles fairly comfortably, and I think we're more than ready for a new generation.

#6 Posted by LikeaSsur (1487 posts) -

@xSuperGirl said:

Personally I am quite happy with my current consoles for the next 3 years or so.

3 years? Ugh, I'm dreading having to shell out $500+ for a new system and games as much as the next person, but it's about time. The games are becoming stagnant and it's just more of the same at this point. Our hard drives are full and our systems are on the verge of breaking. When this generation started, I was a sophomore in high school and has the worst haircut ever.

Bring on the new generation.

#7 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

No love for Nitendo?

I welcome them to the current gen. Better late than never.

#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10352 posts) -

It's long overdue, if you ask me.

#9 Posted by Marcsman (3094 posts) -

No

#10 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

I was ready years ago. That's the main reason I switched to pc gaming.

#11 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I can't find the motivation to buy a next gen console when my PC is already awesome. I bet the next Xbox's dash is somehow even worse...

#12 Edited by wastedcolumbo (66 posts) -

My PC should be powerful enough to see me through the next gen even if I don't upgrade it, so I can wait until I see enough quality 1st party stuff before I decide to take the plunge. (hopefully by then any hardware issues that the first batch of consoles might have will be ironed out.)

#13 Posted by BaneFireLord (2907 posts) -

Yes, I am ready. However, short of the next Bethesda RPG or Just Cause game being a console exclusive, I don't see myself buying a 720 or PS4 while I still have a gaming PC.

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (14518 posts) -

I don't wanna shell out the money for it but its about damn time. Its nearly been 10 years since the consoles have launched specifically in the case of the 360. The hardware is about tapped and since the console market is the largest market the base specs for PC games haven't increased by that much we need forward progress.

#15 Posted by Kidavenger (3486 posts) -

My backlog is getting so long, I need a new generation so I can stop pretending i'll ever go back and finish all these games.

Yes I realize this is probably the dumbest reason for new consoles but what can I say, it's the truth.

#16 Posted by gabha (354 posts) -

I've been ready for a few years now.

#17 Posted by adam1808 (1355 posts) -

I'm not, but this industry needs it in order to keep itself afloat. I like having games to play, so I guess the new consoles should come sooner rather than later.

#18 Posted by falserelic (5276 posts) -

Hopefully when it launches it won't become like a misfire.

#19 Edited by Willtron (242 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

@xSuperGirl said:

3 years? Ugh, I'm dreading having to shell out $500+ for a new system and games as much as the next person, but it's about time. The games are becoming stagnant and it's just more of the same at this point. Our hard drives are full and our systems are on the verge of breaking. When this generation started, I was a sophomore in high school and has the worst haircut ever.

Bring on the new generation.

This, so hard.

Year? Year and a half? Sure.

But for a console generation to last TEN YEARS? Eat a dick.

And the games industry needs it real bad. Consoles are old now. There's only so much that can be done with lighting to make these archaic games look better. Graphics have gotten as good as they're gonna get. It's just tweaking existing engines now. I wanna see new engines. Anddddd new systems means new, more advanced AI. That's what I'm most excited about, to be honest. And new consoles means radder ports to the PC. So everyone wins.

#20 Posted by CaLe (3897 posts) -

From the Watchdogs trailer to the recent MGS trailer, I'm pretty sure I need new consoles. I feel completely done with the 360 and PS3.

#21 Posted by Akeldama (4236 posts) -
#22 Posted by AndrewB (7439 posts) -

A new console with a single noteworthy launch release could be on the market today and I'd probably buy it. My 360 is a loud, power-hungry, underpowered, ugly brick just waiting to fail at any moment. Anything would be an improvement. I just spent a tidy sum upgrading my computer, but there's no denying that a new console released with the lessons learned from this previous generation could be amazing.

#23 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

Why wouldn't we be?

#24 Posted by RE_Player1 (7545 posts) -

I just bought a 360 so I'm good :P Seriously though I'm excited for next gen but I won't hop on the first year. Let them iron out the problems, drop the prices, and have more than just launch shovel-ware out and I'll bite.

#25 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

@xSuperGirl said:

If the next Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo was announced to be released in a few days, do you think it would be the 'right' time? In todays hard economy, prices going up, people losing jobs etc and also with our current consoles, have they been used to their full potential?

Even in hard times, people will always pay for entertainment.

Hell, when people are down they'll pay more for entertainment to keep their spirits up.

#26 Posted by Lost_Remnant (98 posts) -

I think so. I'm still fine with my 360 since some pretty great stuff is coming out this year, I have a pretty immense back log and there are still older games I never picked up that I'll get on the cheap. Alas, it feels like it's time you know? Hopefully with Nintendo ushering in the new console arms race at the end of this year, Sony's and Microsoft's new consoles will be around the corner. It'll probably be awhile until I pick up a next gen console because of previously mentioned backlog but the new tech for consoles needs to be out there. The 360 will be seven years old this November, I may not personally be completely weary by the current console cycle but plenty are and I want to see what can be done with a new console cycle.

#27 Posted by MikkaQ (10263 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

@xSuperGirl said:

In todays hard economy, prices going up, people losing jobs etc and also with our current consoles, have they been used to their full potential?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Modern_Warfare_3#Sales_and_revenue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Rises#Box_office

http://blogs.computerworld.com/18550/apple_2011_ipad_sales_hit_40_million

Pretty hard economy we have, guys.

Entertainment always does best during economic hardships. That's how Hollywood got off the ground.

#28 Edited by RE_Player1 (7545 posts) -

@MikkaQ: Yup. Entertainment as a whole has never taken a huge hit when the economy has been in the crapper and in most cases actually generates more revenue.

#29 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I'd need one hell of a motherfucking warranty to buy any new console within the first few years.

#30 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

This generation has gone on for too long as is, bring on the new systems now please.

#31 Posted by Akeldama (4236 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Akeldama said:

@xSuperGirl said:

In todays hard economy, prices going up, people losing jobs etc and also with our current consoles, have they been used to their full potential?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Modern_Warfare_3#Sales_and_revenue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Rises#Box_office

http://blogs.computerworld.com/18550/apple_2011_ipad_sales_hit_40_million

Pretty hard economy we have, guys.

Entertainment always does best during economic hardships. That's how Hollywood got off the ground.

Add video game consoles.games and extremely expensive electronic consumer devices to that list.

#32 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

The old-ass hardware in current-gen consoles is holding back so much potential. Even though I probably won't buy a new console, I'm ready for the next generation because it means better games for my PC. Everyone will benefit.

#33 Posted by Superkenon (1352 posts) -

I am not prepared!

#34 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1017 posts) -

I started buying everything for PC now so I think I'm ready for a new console now.

#35 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@Sooty said:

I can't find the motivation to buy a next gen console when my PC is already awesome. I bet the next Xbox's dash is somehow even worse...

Pretty safe bet. They managed to make it continually worse and less functional. At this point, I'm sick of paying for this ad-infested and confusing piece of shit interface. I let my gold subscription lapse a month ago. Too bad I might be semi-forced to subscribe again when Borderlands 2 comes out. :(

#36 Posted by GunstarRed (4996 posts) -

I was born ready.

#37 Posted by RE_Player1 (7545 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@Sooty said:

Pretty safe bet. They managed to make it continually worse and less functional. At this point, I'm sick of paying for this ad-infested and confusing piece of shit interface. I let my gold subscription lapse a month ago. Too bad I might be semi-forced to subscribe again when Borderlands 2 comes out. :(

The problem is that MS sees the Xbox as a way to get their do everything box into the living room. They got the core gamers at the start of this generation and think they'll jump on anything they release next so they are blatant with their ads and needless fees. The problem is that the core gaming audience needs to be catered to regularly with much more than timed exclusive dlc and games. Hell look at the GB staff from 08 to now. The Bombcast was pretty heavily dominated with 360 talk for years but now they've all made or are making the jump to PC and other platforms.

I have a feeling roles will be reversed come next gen with Sony being ahead of MS or in a tie right out of the game, Nintendo is still a big question mark. While Sony also wants to be that family room box they are still investing heavily on developing new and interesting IPs. Look at the exclusive list of the PS3 compared to the 360. Sony has more quality and quantity year after year.

Hopefully MS has a ton of secret games in development because looking forward to what we know they don't have much.

#38 Edited by Kombat (2205 posts) -

It's been 7 years since the Xbox 360 was released. It's likely that a lot of gamers have gotten extremely comfortable with their devices and we might see a lot of resistance to the next generation of hardware. Whatever Orbis and Durango wind up being will have to be dramatically different for there to be an expedient rate of adoption, or at least that's my prediction.

I am ready for another generation of hardware though, even if my financials aren't quite as prepared for it. I'm really tired of this cycle. Games can look and feel so much better after this amount of time. I'm sick of blocky textures and less-than-ideal draw distances. It's time. It has been time for a while now.

#39 Posted by Sanity (1890 posts) -

@falserelic said:

Hopefully when it launches it won't become like a misfire.

I love how the second guy doesn't notice right away =P

Personally i dont think im going to get any of the new consoles until theres a price drop and a decent amount of games i want on it that i cant get on my pc. Im running a 6970 which will be plenty for at least another 2 years yet im guessing.

#40 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

Unlike last generation I'll hold out a while, maybe even wait for hardware revisions. In the interim I'm looking to build a mid-level gaming rig.

#41 Posted by Baillie (4026 posts) -

You all realise with the next generation of consoles, there still won't be any innovation, right? Well, at least not for the first year or two.

#42 Posted by Hells (68 posts) -

We should have been getting the new console generation this Holiday season...

I am ready for games with quicker load times and smoother faster frame rates, but I think devs for the most part are going to keep graphically pushing the limits instead of pushing better gameplay experiences ... I think I'm going to stay primarily PC for this coming gen.

#43 Posted by Schmollian (259 posts) -

@Sooty said:

It will probably just have windows 8 (at least the metro part) on it lol

#44 Posted by TyCobb (1944 posts) -

I just hope the launches are staggered like they were for the current generation. I really don't want to be buying a new Xbox or PS around the same time. I am still debating on if I even want to bother with the Wii-U. I tell myself "no", but more than likely I will still get it >.<

#45 Posted by Khann (2763 posts) -
@Baillie said:

You all realise with the next generation of consoles, there still won't be any innovation, right? Well, at least not for the first year or two.

It'd be nice to have that process underway, though.
#46 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I clearly remember buying a Wii with one of those stimulous checks that good ol George W. Bush sent me, so I'm pretty sure the recession won't deter me from buying at least one of the next gen consoles during the first year. It might take me a little bit longer to save up for one, but I won't blink at the checkout counter. I'm definitely not including the WiiU on my list of must haves at this point though, and either the Sony or Microsoft camp will have to pump out some pretty impressive exclusives to pry me away from buying most of my games for PC at this point.

#47 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

I'll probably stick with my 360 for awhile.

#48 Posted by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -

I want a new PC before the new consoles, so I'm happy with the reveal in 2013 and potential release in Holiday 2013 or 2014. If a new system dropped on the market this month (and I don't mean the Wii U), I'd have a hard time trying to justify picking one up at launch. Now, next year or the year after, it's a no-brainer.

#49 Posted by wrecks (2197 posts) -

I still have a launch 360 so yes, I am ready.

#50 Posted by Peanut (953 posts) -
@Baillie said:

Which becomes three to four years when the consoles aren't out there to begin the process.