• 84 results
#1 Edited by realph (263 posts) -

I know 2007 set a pretty high bar, but what do you think? Q4 is still around the corner, and let's assume for a second that The Wolf Among Us, GTA V, Beyond, Rain, Puppeteer are at least-half decent, not mentioning the hidden gems that might pop up before we close out the year.

The Last of UsSuper Mario Galaxy
BioShock InfiniteBioShock
DmC: Devil May CryPortal
Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of RedemptionCall of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Gone HomeHalo 3
Brothers: A Tale of Two SonsGod of War II
Animal Crossing: New LeafGuitar Hero II
Year WalkMass Effect
The SwapperMetroid Prime 3
Tomb RaiderUncharted

Looking good, video games.

Note: By no means am I comparing these title side by side, it just felt easier to lay them out... side by side.

#2 Edited by csl316 (9514 posts) -

I've been enjoying it more due to consistency all year (rather than just a heavy second half). You listed different games than I would've, so there has been good stuff for everyone.

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -

Watch someone lose their mind because you put DmC on that list (I think it deserves to be. It's a great game.)

#4 Posted by ThePickle (4169 posts) -

You lost me at Ridiculous Fishing to Call of Duty. The "starting 5" of Mass Effect, BioShock, Portal, Super Mario Galaxy, and Call of Duty 4 has yet to be eclipsed. The closest I can think of is 2008 with Fallout 3, GTA IV, MGS 4, Braid, and Rock Band 2.

#5 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I have no recollection of Halo 3 and CoD 4 releasing in the same year. Weird.

Also, holy shit they've basically been iterating on Modern Warfare for 6 fucking years.

#6 Posted by Giantstalker (1729 posts) -

imho, none of the indie games on the left compares at all to the big releases listed on the right. When the year closes with its big upcoming shooters (BF4, COD:Ghosts, I'd even include ArmA3) it'll look better though and compare more favorably.

There's no doubt this is going to be a great year for many, though, regardless of taste. Something for everyone.

#7 Posted by Jimbo (10007 posts) -

No.

#8 Edited by Jimbo (10007 posts) -

No.

#9 Posted by Animasta (14730 posts) -

2007 was lame.

2010 is where it's at, yo!

#10 Posted by Animasta (14730 posts) -

2007 was lame.

2010 is where it's at, yo!

#11 Posted by BigJeffrey (5111 posts) -
#12 Posted by BigJeffrey (5111 posts) -
#13 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6164 posts) -

2010/2011 were the best years of this generation so far; 2013 has a handful of extremely good games but probably doesn't win on an overall scale yet.

#15 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1917 posts) -

You lost me at Ridiculous Fishing to Call of Duty. The "starting 5" of Mass Effect, BioShock, Portal, Super Mario Galaxy, and Call of Duty 4 has yet to be eclipsed. The closest I can think of is 2008 with Fallout 3, GTA IV, MGS 4, Braid, and Rock Band 2.

Are we just going to ignore 1998, the best year in gaming history?

• Half-Life
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Nigt
  • Pokémon Red & Blue
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
  • Thief: The Dark Project
  • StarCraft
  • Xenogears
  • Grim Fandango
  • ...and many, many other games?

Also, to the original poster: NO.

#16 Edited by RecSpec (3948 posts) -

Nah, out of the 2013 list I only see Infinite and The Last of Us being somewhat relevant past the end of 2014

#17 Posted by csl316 (9514 posts) -

@viking_funeral: 1998 is legendary. But this gen I think '07 and '13 have to fight to the death.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Why are we double posting?

Why are we double posting?

#19 Edited by csl316 (9514 posts) -
#20 Posted by Cameron (607 posts) -

I think only Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, and maybe Tomb Raider compare to most of the games from 2007. That was the year this generation of consoles really hit its stride, hell, even the Wii had a few great games that year. This is the swan song year, so we are going to see a few great games, but I don't think it will match the quantity of 2007. Hopefully 2015 or 2016 will be a great year.

#21 Edited by Milkman (17341 posts) -

Should I play The Swapper? I'm really dumb and really bad at puzzle games.

#22 Edited by NoobSauceG7 (1258 posts) -

No. A lot of disappointing games and the games that the majority of the critics have liked have been "games" like Brothers, Gone Home, and even the big stuff like TLOU and Bioshock have been disappointing on the gameplay side of it. Maybe everything this year has been pushing games in a story sense, but there hasn't been anything yet gameplay wise which has pushed anything. There has definitely been good games like Fire Emblem, Ni No Kuni, Animal Crossing, Shin Megami Tensei 4, Injustice, Pikmin, but they have just been solid, fun games for me.

#23 Edited by BaneFireLord (2958 posts) -

It's no 2010, that's for damn sure.

#24 Posted by BisonHero (7073 posts) -

"Ridiculous Fishing: Pretty Fun for a While" and "Animal Crossing: It's Still the Same!" especially don't deserve to be on that list. Of the other entries, I don't really think very many of them compare to any of the 2007 games you listed.

#26 Posted by Korwin (3041 posts) -

No. Plenty of excellent games, but none of them are total game changers for the industry.

#27 Posted by Dalai (7074 posts) -

The games of 2007 you listed were generation-defining games while 2013's games are basically building on that model, more or less. There's no comparison.

#28 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1258 posts) -

No. A lot of disappointing games and the games that the majority of the critics have liked have been "games" like Brothers, Gone Home, and even the big stuff like TLOU and Bioshock have been disappointing on the gameplay side of it. Maybe everything this year has been pushing games in a story sense, but there hasn't been anything yet gameplay wise which has pushed anything. There has definitely been good games like Fire Emblem, Ni No Kuni, Animal Crossing, Shin Megami Tensei 4, Injustice, Pikmin, but they have just been solid, fun games for me.

#29 Edited by SunBroZak (1381 posts) -

It's quite subjective. So in that regard:

I actually enjoyed the year of sequels 2011 a fair bit. Deus Ex: HR, LittleBigPlanet 2, InFamous 2, Dark Souls, L.A. Noire, Mortal Kombat, Dead Space 2, Uncharted 3, Arkham City, Rayman Origins. The list goes on.

#30 Edited by gaminghooligan (1483 posts) -

It's looking good by my account, GTA V has the potential to solidify this year as a great one.

#31 Edited by Hunter5024 (5981 posts) -

I never felt like 2007 was as amazing as people made it out to be, I already think this year kicks that years ass. Probably one of the best years in the last decade at least. Though after the shit show that was 2012, maybe my expectations were just low.

#32 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Animal Crossing: It's Still the Same!

NOPE NOPE NOPE.

New Leaf is legitimately awesome.

#33 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

There's only one semi decent game listed on the 2013 side and that's Bioshock. Then we'll have Madden, FIFA, NBA and Call of Duty. Pretty typical year.

#35 Posted by bmehlers (134 posts) -

Also add potentially great games like GTAV, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed IV, Beyond: Two Souls and you could have an argument.

#36 Edited by TyCobb (1975 posts) -

I must be out of touch with something. I've only played 4 games that actually came out this year. Prison Architect, Shadowrun, Rise of the Triad, and Animal Crossing.

#37 Posted by Ares42 (2800 posts) -

Most of the games in the 2013 list are not even close to most of the games in the 2007 list. Hell, I would say most of the games in the 2013 list isn't even close to the best games this year =)

#38 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

I think we should wait until 2014 to give a report card on 2013.

#39 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

#40 Posted by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

@realph said:

Looking good, video games.

Really? A couple of weird indie games and some sequels and reboots, and "looking good?"

Either I've become jaded or you're not making much sense.

#41 Posted by believer258 (12211 posts) -

Ain't no 2011. Man, 2011 was great.

Where are the 3DS games in that list? SMT4, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Etrian Odyssey IV, Luigi's Mansion... the 3DS went from "kinda OK" to "pretty damn good" over this summer.

#42 Edited by Zeik (2783 posts) -

There's barely anything on that 2007 list that I think is particularly noteworthy, but I do vaguely remember 2007 being a decent year. I'll have to look up what else came out then.

Edit: Nevermind, 2007 was pretty unremarkable. Ace Attorny: Trials and Tribulations was probably the best game that came out that year. 2006 was way better.

#43 Edited by Willin (1285 posts) -

2013 is the new 2007 which was the new 1998

#44 Edited by kpaadet (413 posts) -

@viking_funeral Pretty sure SoTN was '97. But I'll agree that '98 still was the best year.

#45 Posted by benspyda (2051 posts) -

Skyrim and Dark Souls came out it 2011 right? So that year is the bestest!

Actually not many games this year have done much for me. I really liked Bioshock Infinite a lot, but everything else has been just ok for me personally. Also your list is severely missing Blood Dragon, Ni no Kuni and Heart of the Swarm.

#46 Posted by ShaggE (6724 posts) -

2007 was my 2007 Year of the Year. 2013, so far, seems to be a shoo-in for this year's Year of the Year.

So... maybe?

#47 Posted by BigJeffrey (5111 posts) -

Also is that suppose to be a comparison chart?

Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemptionvs. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

LOL

#48 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

For me 2007 was a weak year. 08, 10,11 were much better. Even 12 and and 09 were better. So far 2013 is a weak year too. I have fallen off keeping up with games this year and have only played a few.

#49 Posted by TyCobb (1975 posts) -

Also is that suppose to be a comparison chart?

Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemptionvs. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

LOL

"Note: By no means am I comparing these title side by side, it just felt easier to lay them out... side by side."

No.