Are wii games rated on a lower scale?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Now I don't mean to say that wii games suck and there's none htat are good, but what I have noticed is that even me, whenever I play a wii game that is even remotely fun, I think highly of it.   Just about any good wii game is one of the consoles strongest games too. I don't think it's an intentional thing, just subconcious.  I went out and bought warioware the other day...no way in hell would that be acceptable on the 360 or ps3...it's short and such of a limited scope.

I guess to put it recently, ExciteBots on gamespot, 8.0.   Now while I'm sure this game is fun, it really just doesn't seem like it'd exactly be called too great of a game had it been on the 360 or ps3 there.  Look at PGR4 (same score about) and Motorstorm (scored lower).  Do you really think ExciteBots competes with these guys? 
Onto my next example, No More Heroes on gamespot.  I played it and I actually liked it.  That being said, going off of gamespot's scores, they gave it AAA.  Is this game even close to that?  Need I remind you that DMC, NG2, Dead Rising,etc. aren't that high?   Do you actually believe that NMH is above that quality?  I really don't.

Edit: and ever notice that wii games never have more features than the core game really?   Look at Halo 3 or PGR4, those games have all the features you'd expect and more.
So what do you think? 

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By EvilTwin

I think the games on the Wii are rated against the Wii's library as opposed to the library of its contemporaries.  So, in a way, yes.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

I guess it's just rare for a good wii game too come along so when one does it's rated highly high.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HazBazz

From Gamespot's review guidelines:

"We Rate Games According to the Current Standards of Their Platforms and Genres

Every gaming platform is different, especially in terms of its technical features. However, we believe high-quality gaming experiences are possible on all the gaming platforms that we cover. So we review games against the standards of their respective platforms by implicitly comparing them to other games on that same platform and, to a lesser extent, to other games in that genre. As a result, our ratings of games on different platforms are not intended to be directly compared to one another. However, relative comparisons do apply, so a game that scores poorly is a poor game by any standards, while a game that scores extremely high is an outstanding game by any standards."

So, in short, yes.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crunchUK

I think that wii reviews value different things to other consoles

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Hmm...I guess maybe the motion control adds something that you couldn't do on other consoles, I don't know.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

ExciteBots on gamespot, 8.0.   Now while I'm sure this game is fun, it really just doesn't seem like it'd exactly be called too great of a game had it been on the 360 or ps3 there.  Look at PGR4 (same score about) and Motorstorm (scored lower).  Do you really think ExciteBots competes with these guys?   
Onto my next example, No More Heroes on gamespot.  I played it and I actually liked it.  That being said, going off of gamespot's scores, they gave it AAA.  Is this game even close to that?  Need I remind you that DMC, NG2, Dead Rising,etc. aren't that high?   Do you actually believe that NMH is above that quality?

Wtf?
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By get2sammyb

I think you're kinda onto something Smug actually. I'm sure they do have to take into account that a Wii game can never compete on sheer detail graphically, etc. So it would be unfair for them to score all Wii games lower on terms of graphics simply because the console can't handle anything better, so I'm sure they review it under the basis of the system it's on.

So in essence, yes.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

So you're assuming that Wii games are rated higher just because they're on the Wii?
I like that. It's fun seeing how different people always manage find completely different (often opposite) ways to criticize a site's reviews.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#10  Edited By TobyD81

A good game is always judged on its own merits. Should Mega Man 9 be rated lower in comparison to other games on the 360, PS3, or Wii? I don't think so.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero
EvilTwin said:
"I think the games on the Wii are rated against the Wii's library as opposed to the library of its contemporaries.  So, in a way, yes."
Yeah, I would agree. I think it's pretty sad that Wii Sports, while basically a pretty shallow tech demo, is still one of the best games the Wii has to offer.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By AgentJ

Smug, the title of your thread does not at all match your statements in the OP. You imply with the title that WIi games are not rated as well as games on other consoles when they deserve a better grade. In the OP you say that some Wii games dont deserve the grade they are getting. I couldn't disagree more. I feel like most of the time some great wii games get the shaft from certain sources (cough Gameinformer cough). For example, you said that No More Heroes didnt deserve the 9.0 it got?(I did) Then maybe you would enjoy game informers rating of the game of a 6.0. The idea that this game is only slightly better than mediocre is laughable to me. But that is hardly the only time that Game Informer has barfed on a game i love. Its gotten to the point where I know i'll like a game if they give the game a 7.0 or lower.

As for Excitebots, they are really different games. PGR and Motorstorm are racing SIMs, while Excitebots is more of an arcade racer. but even if they were to be compared, I wouldn't be shocked if Excitebots is pure fun, as Excitetruck was.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
TheGreatGuero said:
"EvilTwin said:
"I think the games on the Wii are rated against the Wii's library as opposed to the library of its contemporaries.  So, in a way, yes."
Yeah, I would agree. I think it's pretty sad that Wii Sports, while basically a pretty shallow tech demo, is still one of the best games the Wii has to offer."
Disagree. Super Mario Galaxy is in my opinion the best game this generation. That's a Wii game.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm gonna have to say that I think Super Mario Galaxy may be the most overrated game this generation. I found it to be flawed and shockingly mediocre.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Geno

Wii games have no way in competing against the other 2 machines or PC, that's all there is to it. There are some good games but they are all relative to the rest of the Wii's dismal library.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead

Cue a million post thread.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Meowayne
HandsomeDead said:
"Cue a million post thread."
Wii games are generally rated very, very low. Even the great ones. This thread doesn't make any sense!
clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By clarke0

Well most sites base their scores based on the other games on the system. Most Wii games are shovelware so there are obviously lower standards for the platform. A game like Excitebots is really great compared to the other games the Wii has.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Meowayne
clarke0 said:
A game like Excitebots is really great compared to the other games the Wii has.
Excitebots is great compared to the entire genre of fun/arcade racers on any consoles. Have you even played it?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Jayge_
TheGreatGuero said:
"I'm gonna have to say that I think Super Mario Galaxy may be the most overrated game this generation. I found it to be flawed and shockingly mediocre."
THANK YOU. My GOD I thought I would never find anyone else who thought that :-/

As for the premise of the thread, yes, obviously Wii Games are not held to the same standards as HD consoles when it comes to online integration, graphics and other things. Wii games get rated according to the system's perceived maximum ceiling of technological power. 
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead
Meowayne said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Wii games are generally rated very, very low. Even the great ones. This thread doesn't make any sense!"
I'm sure that won't stop a few of you.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Meowayne
HandsomeDead said:
"Meowayne said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Wii games are generally rated very, very low. Even the great ones. This thread doesn't make any sense!"
I'm sure that won't stop a few of you."
Stop a few of us of doing what exactly?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead
Meowayne said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Meowayne said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I'm sure that won't stop a few of you."
Stop a few of us of doing what exactly?"
I'm anticipating an essay or two from Al3xand3r and maybe a few multicoloured charts, graphs and statistical analysis from oldschool to prove why we're wrong, but hey, it's just opinion.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By OmegaPirate
AgentJ said:
"Smug, the title of your thread does not at all match your statements in the OP. You imply with the title that WIi games are not rated as well as games on other consoles when they deserve a better grade. In the OP you say that some Wii games dont deserve the grade they are getting. I couldn't disagree more. I feel like most of the time some great wii games get the shaft from certain sources (cough Gameinformer cough). For example, you said that No More Heroes didnt deserve the 9.0 it got?(I did) Then maybe you would enjoy game informers rating of the game of a 6.0. The idea that this game is only slightly better than mediocre is laughable to me. But that is hardly the only time that Game Informer has barfed on a game i love. Its gotten to the point where I know i'll like a game if they give the game a 7.0 or lower.

As for Excitebots, they are really different games. PGR and Motorstorm are racing SIMs, while Excitebots is more of an arcade racer. but even if they were to be compared, I wouldn't be shocked if Excitebots is pure fun, as Excitetruck was.
"
I really wouldnt call motorstorm a racing sim mate
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meowayne
HandsomeDead said:
I'm anticipating an essay or two from Al3xand3r and maybe a few multicoloured charts, graphs and statistical analysis from oldschool to prove why we're wrong, but hey, it's just opinion."
But wrong in what way? I don't understand this thread, it's nonsensical. It's like saying: "Maybe it's the economies fault that apples are blue" because, well, they aren't.

Wii games get low scores by default, regardless of quality. If they were somehow rated on a lower scale, it should be the opposite. Smug arguments for something that doesn't exist.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Claude

The Wii is its on genre, call it what you will, Gamecube 1.5, Last Gen, Shovelware Station, PS2 Port Machine and hate all you want, but it still lives. I live with it and enjoy the games I enjoy.

Super Mario Galaxy is not my favorite Mario game, nothing has come close to Mario 64 for me and that's counting the 2D versions. I think the ratings have fulfilled their duty, crap exists and a lot of it is on the Wii, so the scores and reviews reflect that. 

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Godwind

I am going to disagree with you Smug.  It is an interesting theory but falls short on other demonstrations.  The games you are pointing is what you would, in your opinion, consider overrated.  There are people out there that are going to call the Halo series overrated.

Perhaps we could easily compare some titles that are multiplatform.

Dead Rising

Site
 Xbox 360 Score
Wii Score
 Metacritic8562
 IGN8369
Gamespot
Cheat Code Centeral
Games Master UK

Call of Duty: World at War

Site Xbox 360 Score
Wii Score
Playstation 3 score
 Metacritic 8483
 Gamespot 8585
Cheat Code Central
3DJeugos
IGN
GameDaily

Guitar Hero 3

Site Xbox 360  Score
Wii Score
Playstation 3
 Metacritic 8586
 Cheat Code Central
Daily Game
IGN
Gamespot

Sonic Unleashed
Site
Xbox 360 Score
Wii Score
 Playstation 3 Score
 Metacritic60
 Games Master UK
 N/A
Gamer 2.0
Gamezone
N/A
IGN
Gamespot
Cheat Code Central
Game Informer

Notice that the same games that have been on multiple platforms have neither been higher nor especially lower?  It isn't that games are being scaled down or scaled up on the Wii.  They are looking at the game itself.

A Game that generally scores well is suppose to represent a game that is suppose represent a game, on general terms, a good game.  Contrast to that, a game that scores poorly ,on general terms, represents a poor standard in gaming.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AgentJ
OmegaPirate said:
"AgentJ said:
"Smug, the title of your thread does not at all match your statements in the OP. You imply with the title that WIi games are not rated as well as games on other consoles when they deserve a better grade. In the OP you say that some Wii games dont deserve the grade they are getting. I couldn't disagree more. I feel like most of the time some great wii games get the shaft from certain sources (cough Gameinformer cough). For example, you said that No More Heroes didnt deserve the 9.0 it got?(I did) Then maybe you would enjoy game informers rating of the game of a 6.0. The idea that this game is only slightly better than mediocre is laughable to me. But that is hardly the only time that Game Informer has barfed on a game i love. Its gotten to the point where I know i'll like a game if they give the game a 7.0 or lower.

"
"
Fair enough, but it certainly isn't an arcade racer. 
Avatar image for existentnighthawk
existentnighthawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I think Wii is fun, cant believe so many haters on nintendo.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By CoolDrMoney
AgentJ said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"AgentJ said:

"
"
Fair enough, but it certainly isn't an arcade racer. 
"
I would definitely consider Motorstorm an arcade racer. Excitebots just happens to be even crazier.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
LordAndrew said:
"So you're assuming that Wii games are rated higher just because they're on the Wii?I like that. It's fun seeing how different people always manage find completely different (often opposite) ways to criticize a site's reviews. "

Well look at things--- warioware was rated favorably.  It's a 2d platformer that lasts about 3 hours.  No extras except a couple of secret levels.   Full priced.
Compare to Uncharted.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Meowayne

What are you fucking talking about, smug? Wario Land was rated significantly lower than Uncharted.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Claude
SmugDarkLoser said:
"LordAndrew said:
"So you're assuming that Wii games are rated higher just because they're on the Wii?I like that. It's fun seeing how different people always manage find completely different (often opposite) ways to criticize a site's reviews. "
Well look at things--- warioware was rated favorably.  It's a 2d platformer that lasts about 3 hours.  No extras except a couple of secret levels.   Full priced. Compare to Uncharted. "
If I'm not mistaken WarioWare is made for fun... with friends, that's where you get the longevity of the game. Uncharted is a single player game, one I would like to play. 
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LordAndrew

Uncharted was also praised by critics. In fact it received more praise than Wario Land Shake It. What was the point of that comparison again?

Edit: You'll note that I referred to Wario Land instead of WarioWare. Since you said "platformer", that's what I assumed you were talking about. WarioWare is not a platforming game.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AgentJ
SmugDarkLoser said:
"LordAndrew said:
Well look at things--- warioware was rated favorably.  It's a 2d platformer that lasts about 3 hours.  No extras except a couple of secret levels.   Full priced. Compare to Uncharted. "
Again, you are comparing apples to oranges. Werent you just talking about how much you like the 2-d art of games more than the 3D graphics? Warioware is completely hand-drawn, and while i havent played much of it, what i have played has been very entertaining.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
LordAndrew said:
"Uncharted was also praised by critics. In fact it received more praise than Wario Land Shake It. What was the point of that comparison again?"
Because they scored not far from each other while Uncharted is obviously much, much better?
Shake it is more comparable to Castle Crashers.  Even so, Castle Crashers is better and on a bigger scale.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By Video_Game_King
SmugDarkLoser said:
"LordAndrew said:
Platformer? I think you're confusing games there, especially since WarioWare had some 3D moments.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Video_Game_King said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"LordAndrew said:
Platformer? I think you're confusing games there, especially since WarioWare had some 3D moments."

warioland, my bad.   warioland: shake it.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LordAndrew

There's a fairly large gap between the scores Uncharted and Wario Land received. The only real similarity in those scores is that they are generally positive.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Godwind

It has already been deemed official that Smug is a Dumbass and this topic has just pushed it forward.  To make a reference to one game that is critically praised and be holding a different game all together.

In fact, they are considered two completely different series.
Warioland Franchise
WarioWare Franchise

Godwind
said:

"I am going to disagree with you Smug.  It is an interesting theory but falls short on other demonstrations.  The games you are pointing is what you would, in your opinion, consider overrated.  There are people out there that are going to call the Halo series overrated.

Dead Rising

Site
 Xbox 360 Score
Wii Score
 Metacritic8562
 IGN8369
Gamespot
Cheat Code Centeral
Games Master UK

Site Xbox 360 Score
Wii Score
Playstation 3 score
 Metacritic 8483
 Gamespot 8585
Cheat Code Central
3DJeugos
IGN
GameDaily

Guitar Hero 3

Site Xbox 360  Score
Wii Score
Playstation 3
 Metacritic 8586
 Cheat Code Central
Daily Game
IGN
Gamespot

Sonic Unleashed
Site
Xbox 360 Score
Wii Score
 Playstation 3 Score
 Metacritic60
 Games Master UK
 N/A
Gamer 2.0
Gamezone
N/A
IGN
Gamespot
Cheat Code Central
Game Informer
Notice that the same games that have been on multiple platforms have neither been higher nor especially lower?  It isn't that games are being scaled down or scaled up on the Wii.  They are looking at the game itself.A Game that generally scores well is suppose to represent a game that is suppose represent a game, on general terms, a good game.  Contrast to that, a game that scores poorly ,on general terms, represents a poor standard in gaming."
Since no one has taken the time to criticize my charts or anything, I will assume I am right.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HandsomeDead
Godwind said:
"Since no one has taken the time to criticize my charts or anything, I will assume I am right. "
Don't confuse disinterest with victory.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Godwind said:
"It has already been deemed official that Smug is a Dumbass and this topic has just pushed it forward.  To make a reference to one game that is critically praised and be holding a different game all together.

In fact, they are considered two completely different series.
Warioland Franchise
WarioWare Franchise

Godwind
said:
"I am going to disagree with you Smug.  It is an interesting theory but falls short on other demonstrations.  The games you are pointing is what you would, in your opinion, consider overrated.  There are people out there that are going to call the Halo series overrated.

Dead Rising

Site
 Xbox 360 Score
Wii Score
 Metacritic8562
 IGN8369
Gamespot
Cheat Code Centeral
Games Master UK

Site Xbox 360 Score
Wii Score
Playstation 3 score
 Metacritic 8483
 Gamespot 8585
Cheat Code Central
3DJeugos
IGN
GameDaily

Guitar Hero 3

Site Xbox 360  Score
Wii Score
Playstation 3
 Metacritic 8586
 Cheat Code Central
Daily Game
IGN
Gamespot

Sonic Unleashed
Site
Xbox 360 Score
Wii Score
 Playstation 3 Score
 Metacritic60
 Games Master UK
 N/A
Gamer 2.0
Gamezone
N/A
IGN
Gamespot
Cheat Code Central
Game Informer
Notice that the same games that have been on multiple platforms have neither been higher nor especially lower?  It isn't that games are being scaled down or scaled up on the Wii.  They are looking at the game itself.A Game that generally scores well is suppose to represent a game that is suppose represent a game, on general terms, a good game.  Contrast to that, a game that scores poorly ,on general terms, represents a poor standard in gaming."
Since no one has taken the time to criticize my charts or anything, I will assume I am right. "

Okay.... you're comparingDead Rising--- different game.  Unleashed-- different game. Call of Duty--- not as good on wii (4 vs 4 and poor graphics), and Guitar Hero 3 which is the exact same thing on all consoles which probably recieved one review for all of them
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By Gmanall
Godwind said:

Dead Rising

Site
 Xbox 360 Score
Wii Score
 Metacritic8562
 IGN8369
Gamespot
Cheat Code Centeral
Games Master UK

Site Xbox 360 Score
Wii Score
Playstation 3 score
 Metacritic 8483
 Gamespot 8585
Cheat Code Central
3DJeugos
IGN
GameDaily

Guitar Hero 3

Site Xbox 360  Score
Wii Score
Playstation 3
 Metacritic 8586
 Cheat Code Central
Daily Game
IGN
Gamespot

Sonic Unleashed
Site
Xbox 360 Score
Wii Score
 Playstation 3 Score
 Metacritic60
 Games Master UK
 N/A
Gamer 2.0
Gamezone
N/A
IGN
Gamespot
Cheat Code Central
Game Informer
My question is should the graphics between 360 and WII be rated againts each other?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LordAndrew
SmugDarkLoser said:
"and Guitar Hero 3 which is the exact same thing on all consoles which probably recieved one review for all of them"
Did you look at the table? It didn't.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
LordAndrew said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"and Guitar Hero 3 which is the exact same thing on all consoles which probably recieved one review for all of them"
Did you look at the table? It didn't. "

More or less.  You can't be too precise considering many sites only review xbox/ps3/wii games
Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kinarion

It's worth mentioning that Wii games usually cost slightly less than other platforms' titles.