Are you a fanboy of or do you have bias towards particular franchises?

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By edgaras1103

Listening to recent bombcasts and watching latest videos got me thinking. What are the franchises and particular game series that you are a fan? No matter the general reception or some glaring flaws you can still like a game because it does what others do not. Or giantbomb community is more mellow and just a fan of great games?

For me there are few series.

1. Witcher games. Before the reviews hit W3 I knew even if it got mediocre reviews and general public won't like it I will still enjoy it. I enjoyed W1 far more than sequel who got great reception so I knew I like it no matter what. Glad W3 turned out the way it did and it sits on the top of all time favorites.

2. Splinter cell series. The original introduced me to stealth and I have been a fan ever since. I just like light and shadow gameplay mechanics, fantastic visuals and pretty memorable soundtrack, funny banter and interriogations and obviously Michael Ironside. The biggest let down was Conviction in nearly everything except mark and execute mechanic. Blacklist redeemed itself with superb level design, mission structure and great presentation. The voice change was jarring at first.

There are probably more game series that I adore but it's enough for now. When I talk about these games I can't help but get excited, obviously people who listen to me should take it with a large grain of salt.

So what say you? Have any biases towards particular series?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't really have a bias towards any brand, if a sequel is bad I will give it appropriate amounts of shit no matter what the legacy is. I do however have a bias for settings and some minor traits in games that will heavily make up for any flaws, glaring or otherwise.

I'll forgive and enjoy a bad game like Gun, because I get to run around cowboy land. On the same note I liked RDR even though it's just another Rockstar game in the same formula I normally dislike. There's more stuff along those lines, but Western games are an obvious example for me.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

I guess I am more accepting of flaws in Star Trek games because I'm a pretty big fan of that property, so I've enjoyed many of it's less well received games as well. I can certainly still see their flaws though, but I guess I'm more willing to look past that in something Star Trek themed than a generic military shooter or something like that.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Command & Conquer and Wing Commander games as well, but those are series with few lesser entries in general, so not sure if I'd say I'm all that biased in my love for them.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't know whether it could be considered fanboyism but criticism of certain games makes me think the people playing are somehow doing it wrong, not skilled enough, or just don't know a good thing when it's right in front of them. OK, now that I just wrote that I'm almost certain it's fanboyism. In my defense, I can only think of one game that brings this out in me.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favourite series all have games I hate in them and, if anything, the fact that I didn't like a game in my favourite series made me hate them even more through sheer disappointment.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MindBullet

I guess I'm enough of a fan that I'm willing to give Assassin's Creed the benefit of the doubt with Syndicate despite not liking Unity at all. This is probably the series I'm the biggest sucker for, because I know it's been on the decline in the last few years (with Unity being something of a breaking point), but I can't help but enjoy the core concept of the thing.

I'm a big fan of the "Tales of" series, and am currently struggling with the urge to pre-order Zestiria (you get COSTUME DLC!!1!).

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo, Elder Scrolls and Battlefield are probably my favorite franchises ever

qnnplmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Samurai Gunn. I have a friend that doesn't like that game and now I think he's an idiot.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Fanboy is such a derogatory term I wish it would just die already. Never heard anyone in real life say it but its everywhere on the net...

That said, on topic...not particularly.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout but my secret fanboy desire is Dark Cloud 3

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

I have a preference?

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By Entreri10

I used to be super heavy into the Halo franchise, I would read all the novels, comics and anything else related to it.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I'm a huge SMT/Persona fan. At this point I pretty much played every SMT and Persona game that has been released outside of Japan.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

It's not necessarily something that applies to the whole franchise, but I'm still such a fan of StarFox 64 that reviews for Zero will have to tank HARD for me not to pick it up.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tekken

Mortal Kombat (Mortal Kombat X was disappointing to me but I'm still gonna get the next game ... and the next ... and the next)

Soulsborne games

MediEvil (From Soft should do a reboot!)

Onimusha

Unreal Tournament

Max Payne

Avatar image for vampiriclunatic
VampiricLunatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not a have a bias towards a game but I do have preference for certain video game franchises.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThePanzini

As soon as Fallout 4 was announced I pre-ordered the game, next year I'll do the same with Battlefield 5. I've never cared or bothered with reception or consensus regarding games I don't even read reviews until after I finished the game.

awalkawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By awalkawesome

I gotta say looking at the topic makes me super happy so many times people try to demonize being a fan of something and over looking flaws because you're a fan which is perfectly fine to do.

It might not be video game but I absolutely love the A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise every single one of them including the incredible divisive 2nd film despite it's flaws.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone mentioned Onimusha. And heck yeah these games are my jam. It is so weird that Capcom did not released in ps3 /x360 era and even god damn remastered versions are nowhere to be seen. What gives? At least Nioh looks really good. We need more samurai games.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ninnanuam

Yakuza, Rock Band, GTA and Street Fighter. They have never let me down so they get the benefit of the doubt.

Saints Row would have been up there but after the middling IV and Gat outta Hell the series has lost a lot of shine for me.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#23 FinalDasa  Moderator

Bias? Sure. There are a good handful of franchises I like seeing do well and almost always enjoy playing even when they aren't perfect. And I always hope the next entry in whatever series will do well and improve upon itself.

Fanboy? Eh. That term always conjures up fanaticism as its worst. I wouldn't yell at or endlessly argue with someone who disliked a favorite game or franchise of mine. And I wouldn't continue to buy into a franchise if it suddenly went downhill. *cough* Assassin's Creed *cough*

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a real soft spot for (and buy religiously in order to support them):

• Musou games (Dynasty Warriors / Warriors Orochi / Samurai Warriors / other Warriors spin-off titles)
  • "Euro-jank" games (for example, stuff like Focus Home Ent. games from Cyanide or Spiders such as Mars War Logs, Of Orcs and Men, Styx, Bound by Flame, etc)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

• "Euro-jank" games (for example, stuff like Focus Home Ent. games from Cyanide or Spiders such as Mars War Logs, Of Orcs and Men, Styx, Bound by Flame, etc)

Yup, that's something I enjoy a lot too, as well as the in the shoot 'em up fanbase much reviled euroshmups from the Amiga and Atari days.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#26 riostarwind  Moderator

The 4 pillars of Bias:

1. Kirby, I own just about every Kirby game since he first came out on the Game Boy.

2. Persona, the fact that I really enjoyed Persona 3 and the bolted on love of P4 thanks to the endurance run most likely made me a fan for life.

3. Dynasty Warriors, I just gotta get my fix man. I need to KO thousands of Chinese warriors during the Romance of the Three Kingdom's period or I don't feel alive each year. (Anime pirates or Gundams also work.)

4. Metal Gear Solid, so I own 3 copies of of MGS2/3. Including the original games plus the fact I bought both the essential collection to get a physical copy of MGS and the HD collection for Peace Walker. The over the top narrative just keeps me coming back for more.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Atelier series. The Copy/Paste annual Dynasty Warriors of JRPGs, love em' to death.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I love a bunch of franchises, but only a few of them I can get kinda fanboyish about. Monkey Island is one example. In my younger days I got a little bit angry if someone said Curse was the best game in the series. Nowadays I just let it slide, even if I think they're super-fucking-wrong.

kmfrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@svenzon: God, who would ever think that? I don't know if I could necessarily choose between The Secret of Monkey Island or Le Chuck's Revenge, but both clearly surpass anything that came afterwards! You make me want to puke!