• 68 results
Posted by bigjeffrey (4173 posts) 7 months, 18 days ago

ARE you a Midnight Launcher Duder? (93 votes)

YES, I need the Game/Console DAy 1 28%
No i can wait for amazon and i am noy crazy 82%

I think I'm going to go to get GTA5 at midnight, don't really do midnight launches. In the past few years I've only gone to Gears 3 and Halo 4 launches. I find it to be awkward since its mostly teenagers thinking they are the shit peeling out in their shitty cars once they get the game or little kids with their parents which, Why are you buying Halo or Gear for your kid?

#1 Posted by Marokai (2639 posts) -

I always love the idea of being a person that waits in a midnight launch, but I never actually do it.

#2 Posted by ShaggE (5996 posts) -

I've been tempted, but I've never done it. I do want to do it someday just for the experience, though.

#3 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

No, because I have work the next morning and my time is worth too much to be standing around in a line.

#4 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4033 posts) -

I used to do midnight launches. Now I just do Best Buy and wait for Mr. Amazon's brownies. Maybe digital from now on soon, might be the case here. We'll see.

#5 Posted by xGryfter (6 posts) -

I did the midnight launch thing for the 360 but now I just stick with Amazon's launch day delivery.

#6 Posted by Ezakael (871 posts) -

I have to wake up pretty early so I don't go to midnight launches. I do want to go to one someday but now is not ideal.

#7 Posted by smcn (675 posts) -

I did midnight launch for Wrath of the Lich King. It's pretty much a waste of time unless you treat it like an event (bring a group of friends/cosplay/talk with random people) instead of just a way to play the game a few hours sooner.

#8 Posted by jiggajoe14 (515 posts) -

I did it for madden once and will never do it again. I either have to a) work in the morning, b) pleasure myself, or c) both.

#9 Posted by Fredchuckdave (4493 posts) -

Did for Dark Souls; game's like top 2 or 3 this generation but it's not like I gained anything from doing that; could've just done it later that morning. Would have done a digital download for the Last of Us if it wasn't so damn gigantic.

#10 Posted by SgtSphynx (944 posts) -

I only ever did a midnight launch once, for Skyrim. Don't plan on ever doing it again.

#11 Edited by Zeik (2117 posts) -

I don't even get consoles within the launch year.

#12 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

I used to do it for WoW (standing in line for hours in the middle of winter with a thousand WoW nerds is a strange experience), I couldn't care less about stuff like that now.

#13 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

108%

#14 Posted by bigjeffrey (4173 posts) -

SITE BROKE

#15 Posted by OurSin_360 (755 posts) -

No, half the time i buy games they sit in the case for days or weeks before i even open them.

#16 Posted by Zeik (2117 posts) -

SITE BROKE

Giantbomb knows the correct answer.

#17 Posted by Chaser324 (5982 posts) -

I used to do midnight launches quite a bit, but Amazon Prime with free release day delivery has been working well for me for the past few years.

Moderator Online
#18 Posted by GreggD (4449 posts) -

Should've been an "Occasionally" option. Which is what I would've picked, because I've only done it once before with Max Payne 3, and I plan on doing the same for GTAV.

#19 Posted by GorillaMoPena (1693 posts) -

I used to live across the street from a Gamestop that basically no one went to. It made midnight launches involving putting on flip-flops at 11:55 and walking across the street.

It was amazing.

#20 Posted by Random45 (809 posts) -

Considering I wake up at six to head to work, I don't think I'd be able to manage a midnight release, nor would I want to even if I didn't work. What's the point of getting the game early only to fall asleep immediately as you get home?

#21 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4033 posts) -

I used to live across the street from a Gamestop that basically no one went to. It made midnight launches involving putting on flip-flops at 11:55 and walking across the street.

It was amazing.

#22 Posted by Slag (3365 posts) -

I used to do that kinda stuff. It's definitely fun to do a couple of times.

Now my backlog is too big and my wallet too light.

#23 Posted by TooWalrus (12986 posts) -

ARE!

...but no. I did experience that kind of thing hanging out outside of a GameStop all night in December so my friend could get his hands on one of five Wiis that were being stocked that night- but I don't plan on going to any midnight launches for these new consoles.

#24 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2157 posts) -

I did it twice with Halo 2 and Halo 3, but now that we have same day delivery and I'm not an impatient teenager anymore I can just order online and wait for a game to show up at my doorstep.

#25 Edited by BisonHero (5682 posts) -
#26 Posted by Hailinel (22741 posts) -

I'm just fine waiting for Amazon, thank you.

#27 Posted by Gamer_152 (13976 posts) -

I did it once, for Halo 4, and that was kind of fun, but I don't feel the urge to get any game the second it comes out.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (22741 posts) -
#29 Posted by Milkman (16233 posts) -

I think Skyrim is the only game I've gone to a midnight launch for and it was completely on a whim. I walked in and I said "I want Skyrim", he said "what version?", I said "360", I paid for it and then I left. It was quite the experience.

#30 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

I slept in a parking lot for a PS2 and have gone to midnight releases for a couple games just because I happen to be out at the time. But now it would have to be something really amazing to get me out, probably something like Fallout 4 would do it for me. I just don't get as crazy about games as I use to.

#31 Edited by Nightriff (4381 posts) -

I wish I could do it but I have a kid now and just can't do it, so I'm just going to wait for Amazon to show up with my console on the 15th. And I look at the possibility of watching the duders play the games on a live stream and then see what games are worth getting so it isn't so bad to wait a few extra hours.

#32 Edited by meaninoflife42 (467 posts) -

The only midnight thing I went to was for Halo 4. I did it to see what it was like. It was dumb so I shant do it again.

Also the poll is now at 112%

#33 Posted by Nev (535 posts) -

I've never been to a midnight launch for anything. Granted, there is literally only Walmart's around here, but I'd see no need to go to a midnight launch even if there was a store holding one. I can wait for an Amazon delivery.

#34 Posted by MegaLombax (384 posts) -

Is the voting broken? Answering the question tho, no, never been to midnight launches. Pointless.

#35 Edited by TruthTellah (7684 posts) -

I'm not a crazy person, if that's what you're really asking.

#36 Posted by bigjeffrey (4173 posts) -

Is the voting broken? Answering the question tho, no, never been to midnight launches. Pointless.

GB is on the Dragon Ball Z percentage system

#37 Posted by Kedi2 (229 posts) -

I did midnight launches for Skyrim and Mass Effect 3, but I went to 20-30 minutes after midnight so there was pretty much no line left.

#38 Posted by BisonHero (5682 posts) -

@hailinel: I thought we were all in on the joke where the guy who made this poll thread allowed for multiple answers, so hilariously everyone was choosing the bottom answer, and sometimes both answers.

#39 Posted by _Chad (957 posts) -

I've only gone to a couple of midnight launches at gamestop. I show up at 10, pay if I still owe money and go home, then come back at midnight and pick it up.

#40 Posted by supamon (1328 posts) -

Poll has been infiltrated by the mythical 10 percenters.

The only game I can think of right now excluding next gen titles that I would pick up day 1 is Dark Souls 2. Yes I'm eager for punishment...

#41 Edited by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

First thread I see after I get home from a 12 hour shift and I read the title as "Are you a Midnight Lucha Deer"

holy shit it's been a long day

Also poll's not broken you guys; it's because it's a multiple-option poll.

#42 Edited by Hailinel (22741 posts) -

@hailinel: I thought we were all in on the joke where the guy who made this poll thread allowed for multiple answers, so hilariously everyone was choosing the bottom answer, and sometimes both answers.

Oh, is that how that works? Shit, I am a moron.

#43 Posted by bigjeffrey (4173 posts) -

So that is what that little box is for, was on my phone so did not realize i check marked it.

#44 Edited by BisonHero (5682 posts) -

@hailinel: @bigjeffrey: Yes to both of you, that is indeed how the "allow multiple answers" option works with polls. Occasionally someone makes a poll without mutually exclusive options, but most of the time someone clicks it, hilarity ensues. It's almost as awesome as when there's a livestream poll in the chat that only has one option for viewers to click on.

#45 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19175 posts) -

Quebec doesn't do midnight launches, but if they did I probably would only go for console launches.

#46 Posted by BaneFireLord (2880 posts) -

Hell. No. I am not a crazy person.

#47 Edited by Demoskinos (13907 posts) -
#48 Edited by mlarrabee (2761 posts) -

I went to Halo: Reach since it was Bungie's last Halo release and Halo PC was a terrific game.

Now that I get up at 4 AM, and I'm not into playing video games as much, there's not a snowball's chance I'll do it again for anything less than a sequel to System Shock 2.

#49 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

I went to every major midnight launch in '07 and '08, as I worked at a Gamestop at the time. I went to the Skyrim launch, and my friend and I were the only ones there over the age of 18. I went to the SR4 launch a couple weeks back where I got that game and XCOM. The guy at the register told me I was the only one there that got a SR4 PC copy, only one that got XCOM, and the only one that even knew what XCOM was. He gave me a poster.

#50 Edited by rentfn (1267 posts) -

I pre-ordered the PS4 at Best Buy. I had a ton of gift cards and reward zone points. So I'm going there at midnight to pick it up. Amazon is sending me the Day One x-box thou.