• 160 results
Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Are you buying a next gen console this year? (393 votes)

PS4 35%
Nextbox if it's out 6%
No 39%
Also yes 20%

I've decided to be an early adopter this time around, and will be buying a PS4. Anyone else already decided? I don't take Microsoft very seriously anymore so it's pretty much a lock.

#1 Posted by LiquidPrince (15632 posts) -

Aside from Wii U you mean? Yep, most definitely a PS4.

#2 Posted by StarvingGamer (7582 posts) -

99.9% sure it's going to be a PS4. I still don't regret buying my 360 for Vesperia but I haven't had much use for it since. Plus I really don't like that controller. Or the interface. Or anything about it other than Vesperia really. Alan Wake was ok.

#3 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

Nope, I am happy with my PC for now. I will wait until there is a healthy lineup of exclusives and a price drop or two before I bite. Same strategy as with the Wii U.

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (7582 posts) -
#5 Posted by Andorski (5114 posts) -

Nope. Never seen a console that was worth owning at launch or within the first year. The Gamecube is an exception because Super Smash Bros Melee was the greatest launch title ever.

#6 Posted by Daveyo520 (6598 posts) -

No, I think waiting at least a year to see how things turn out is a good idea. Don't want to bet on the wrong horse. I will probably get the next Xbox eventually but who knows. I also have a PC and might not get one ever. It really depends on exclusives.

#7 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5122 posts) -

Yup, I think I might go with the PS4 this time around, which would make it my first Sony console. Microsoft has repeatedly fucked me this generation so I think I'm giving up on them unless Durango somehow blows me away.

#8 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I dunno maybe? Some of the shit they talked about looked and sounded cool and inFamous dogg, but I feel like I don't know enough about the PS4 yet to say for certain. Maybe when people start getting their hands on it and we know how it all actually works I'll be able to make a verdict.

Microsoft is something of a question mark for me right now. I got the 360 early on and it seemed hell of dope at the time, but MS has burned a lot of their good will with me. If the 360 loses the advantage of better multiplatform titles, superior online functionality and doesn't deliver some good non-shooter exclusives I'm probably out.

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19179 posts) -

Definitely, and it will be the PS4. Even though I'm not sure I'll be all tat satisfied in terms of available software, I don't care.

#10 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I'm really worried my arcade stick won't work on the PS4. I hope I'm wrong.

Not that it matters too much, I'm sure Capcom won't be releasing Street Fighter V or Marvel vs. Capcom 4 for a while.

#11 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2168 posts) -

I'll definitely be getting whatever console hits in Australia by the end of the year whether the PS4 or next gen Xbox but if they simultaneously release I'll be picking the PS4 first.

#12 Edited by big_jon (5660 posts) -

I will wait and see but I assume I will be too poor.

But damn, that PS4 stuff sounded AWESOME! I want the nextbox as much as I hate to admit it, becuase i am bought into that platform, but if the thing is not as good, who knows, PS4 could be my primary.

But I will get a Wii U one day regardless because I love Nintendo games, that will not be his year though.

#13 Posted by BoFooQ (624 posts) -

I think its very hard to say at this point. If these systems come out at $300 sure, most likely they'll be more. Am still waiting to see nextbox till deciding which system to go with, I will only end up buying one .

#14 Posted by StarvingGamer (7582 posts) -

@sooty said:

I'm really worried my arcade stick won't work on the PS4. I hope I'm wrong.

Not that it matters too much, I'm sure Capcom won't be releasing Street Fighter V or Marvel vs. Capcom 4 for a while.

Maybe Darkstalkers IV though, seeing as how processing power was one of the biggest hurdles in the way on current-gen systems according to Capcom.

#15 Posted by Jay_Ray (1013 posts) -

I will get one of them, most likely PS4 but if the Xbox will blows me out of the water I will grab it or both.

#16 Edited by Pr1mus (3527 posts) -

Really interested in the PS4 but it will probably not be until next year. It's either that or a graphics card upgrade.

In the case of the console depending on price i may wait for the first price cut or if it's not something crazy like 600$ then i will wait to see if the thing catches fire if you look at it funny like the 360 in its early days.

#17 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Dude I don't know I have a dilemma... I just bought a Dell XPS 8500 special edition, it has a AMD 7870 which according to Rock Paper Shotgun its pretty much a PS4. In the other hand, that control its pretty sexy, and the share button its quite possibly the most badass feature in a console ever.

So.. I torn, My brain says GO PC don't waste time and money, my hearth says.. you know you want that sweet control and the next Uncharted..

So whatever, I still have 9 months to make up my mind... I don't even know why this tread exist, and why am I typing all this.

Ohh yeah whiskey

#18 Edited by iceman228433 (505 posts) -

I love it 41% no can't wait till it's just all Ipad, and facebook games.

#19 Posted by stryker1121 (1242 posts) -

Doubtful, will depend on the price point, launch software and word from early adopters. I'd probably go for the NextBox but I'd consider going Sony for the time evah.

#20 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4036 posts) -

@iceman228433 said:

I love it 41% no can't wait till it's just all Ipad, and facebook games.

This whole console revival thing is to stop that from happening. If Facebook kills the game market, its gonna slaughter PC games along with it. : /

Oh right, I'ma buy Xbox ∞. I'm pushing my friend to get a PS4, but he only buys FIFA anyway. Its not like we really play now, so I have no reason to get on the PS4 side.

#21 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2161 posts) -

I never bought a console first hand without there being games I want to play on it. Usually that takes between a year or first revision.

#22 Posted by awesomeusername (4060 posts) -

I'll be getting PS4 definitely. It's just a matter of when. I want it at launch but I'm going to have to scavenge sofas & sell my butt for it. Or get a job.... But I really want the PS4 because inFAMOUS! Also Killzone, Knack & Watch_Dogs look great. Fudge the Xbox because I never was an Xbox person and Halo & Gears are incredibly boring imo. So bring on the PS4!

#23 Posted by MeganeAgain (123 posts) -

I'll wait for these next gen console game libraries to mature first before I make my decision. I don't mind waiting a year or two; there are plenty of games I have yet to play from this current console generation. I have more than enough material to keep me entertained for a while.

#24 Posted by Time_Lord (713 posts) -

As soon as I as I can I will pre order the PS4 I will need that long to save up for how ever much it's going to cost and Sonys hardware has been if nothing else very reliable at least for me.

#25 Edited by Hippie_Genocide (511 posts) -

I plan on preordering a PS4 ASAP. I've always owned all consoles, but now with 95% of the games being multiplatform I don't really see the point. I still want to see what MS has in store, but I'm really getting tired of MS' XBL shenanigans. Also, I recently built a new PC, so that along with a PS4, I should be good for a while.

#26 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Yes, Xbox.

#27 Posted by bluefish (376 posts) -

Why is there never a "maybe" option anymore...

#28 Posted by Capum15 (4574 posts) -
@bluefish said:

This is my sentiment, and option.

#29 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

PS4 probably and maybe a WiiU.

#30 Posted by Icemael (6271 posts) -

Definitely. Probably two, maybe even all three.

#31 Posted by hidys (1028 posts) -

Maybe. I'm not entirely sure yet.

#32 Edited by Fynnius66 (6 posts) -

I probably will because I think there will most likely be more innovation on the new hardware, but to be honest I don't feel a need to move to a new generation yet. I think the PS3 and 360 still have a couple of years left in them and that developers could create great new content for the consoles. I guess though it is important to get new hardware out to revitalise the market and increase console and software sales.

#33 Posted by VoidProd (90 posts) -

Getting a PS4 (provided it comes out in Europe this year...)

Might get a Wii U once there are more than one or two interesting games on it.

#34 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@bluefish said:

I was being lazy because I was on my iPad, just wanted to get the thread out the door. Like Gearbox with Colonial Marines.

Kappa

#35 Posted by Nekromantix87 (40 posts) -

Really doubt it, but who knows? Peer pressure's a bitch, and my friends, family and co-workers mostly look at PC gaming as some foreign, hard to get into thing.

As of late, my time's been around a 85/5/5/5 split between PC/3DS/360/PS3, and I still own a lot of great console games that I've yet to touch for the Wii, 360 and PS3. Feels like I've spent a lot of this generation playing stuff from the previous two generations, and on top of that, I don't know if there's much upside to being an early adopter of new video game hardware. If I do blow any money on hardware, it'll probably be upgrading to an SLI setup while I wait it out for a handful of exclusive games I'm interested in for the PS4 are released and an awesome Black Friday scale bundle.

#36 Posted by rentacop (107 posts) -

Definitely getting a PS4 unless they do something horrible before launch. Already set aside $600 which is theirs to lose. I'm yet to buy a Playstation at or near launch (closest was Ps2 August 01) so this will be a new experience that I'm very much looking forward to.

#37 Edited by Cincaid (2948 posts) -

Hard to tell, since we haven't seen Microsoft's reveal yet. I was a Xbox owner this entire generation, so I'm sort of leaning towards that since I have an account attached to it. If MS totally drops the ball and PS4 blows it away, I guess I'll jump ship this generation. Seems a lot of poll-voters have inside information on the NextBox, or just prefer the PS4, considering how the voting looks (or, they just press PS4, since that's the only console we know anything about).

But I doubt I'll be dropping $700+ (which is likely the Swedish price will be for either console) on a PS4 or NextBox this year, considering I'm a poor student. But I'll most likely pick one up once the price has calmed down a bit.

#38 Posted by Mirado (954 posts) -

If they can come up with three games that I'd want to play at launch (and cannot do so other than a new console), I'll throw my hat in with whoever meets that criteria.

Since I doubt any of them will, probably not.

#39 Posted by BrandonPckrfn (68 posts) -

Yeah, plan on getting the xbox unless their reveal is really disappointing. I waited almost 2 years to get the 360 and it sucked.

If Naughty Dog comes out with some snazzy shit for the PS4 I'll pick up that too.

#40 Edited by bitchypixels (67 posts) -

I've had my clunky Xbox 360 Arcade for close to six years now, so I'm going to get a new gen console no matter what. Seeing as how I've only had an xbox, that's what I'll be buying.

#41 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

Aye, provided the PS4 comes out this year in Europe. Don't think I'll buy an Xbox unless some really attractive exclusives come out for it. My opinion of Microsoft has only gotten worse as this generation has come to a close.

#42 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

I think so. I like that these consoles are actually powerful now. Eight cores for a PS4 sounds like a beast. I need to know the XBOX specs before choosing one though. I don't really buy consoles based on one or two exclusive games, so I just want to know which have most potential for good graphics in terms of what hardware they're packing.

#43 Edited by Marzy (674 posts) -

I bought one last year, the Wii U. I don't plan on buying the next PlayStation or Xbox though this year.

#44 Posted by Hunter5024 (5187 posts) -

I'd really like to, but I have to see price points and launch line ups first. If none of the features they mentioned require PS Plus, Infamous is a launch game that's anything like the first game, and there is a model that hasn't been stripped of features for $500 or less, then I will buy a PS4 on launch day.

Honestly it might take less than that to get me to buy it though, as long as they don't do a shitty job, I'd like to support them. Consoles going away is the last thing I want.

#45 Edited by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

I'm buying a Xbox no doubt, I LOVE halo and will continue to love it. Alan Wake 2 is in the can it just needs to be announced by Remedy as launch title. So yeah, my wallet is ready.

#46 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

I really hope games are cheaper this time. I doubt it. I do want options to buy everything digitally though, that sounds like a revolution for consoles.

#47 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

@liquidprince: Oh hey you're back

So, what about Hiz -. . . shush, quiet.

Glad everything got sorted out for you :)

#48 Posted by DarthOrange (3499 posts) -

Hell yea PS4. PS3 is my main console right now and the only exclusive I enjoyed on 360 was Alan Wake and even that was just a timed exlusive.

#49 Edited by Tajasaurus (663 posts) -

If the new Xbox launches this year I will be getting both. I have never bought a new console at launch before, so I am super excited about it. I almost did it with the WiiU just so that I could do it, but I reeeeally don't want to play anything on it currently, so I decided against it. I'm all in for the PS4, though.

#50 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

Possibly a Wii U. Other than that, I don't see any reason not to stick with the PC and wait for the PS4/Xbox to come down in price and build up a better library of games.

The Wii U will still depend on the price and the games that are out, but I imagine there's going to be a lot more I want there.