Are you excited for Ash vs. The Evil Dead?

absolutelybri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By absolutelybri

Are you excited for Ash vs. The Evil Dead? Because I am.

Ash vs. The Evil Dead is a TV Show coming to Starz this fall. Yes, you read that right an Evil Dead TV Series. Sam Raimi will direct the first episode. Bruce Campbell will star as Ash a middle aged monster hunter. Who is mentor to Kelly and Pablo. Dana DeLorenzo will star as Kelly, and Ray Santiago will star as Pablo. Lucy Lawless is also a member of cast. Lucy Lawless and Bruce Campbell on the screen together isn't something we have seen since Xena Warrior Princess.

It seems this will take place after Army of Darkness, but this hasn’t been stated explicitly. The above teaser does imply the chainsaw hand, and the middle age timeline works out with post Army of Darkness.

They made a reboot movie in 2013, and as a long term Evil Dead fan I never even got around to seeing it. Probably mostly of fear of ruining something I love. I will see this. I do hope it is more than pandering to Evil Dead fans such as myself. I hope this provides an interesting new look into the world that is the Evil Dead world.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No. I suspect it will be super disappointing.

What makes the original Evil Dead films so special is they had nothing to lose, and everything to gain. There's a passion there that I don't think Sam Raimi has in the same way anymore.

It's normal for that to happen- everyone grows and evolves as they age, but that means Evil Dead had a time and place and it can't ever be so good again.

I'd prefer someone else with that kind of passion doing something new and cool like that. There have been a few over the years, but people are so cynical these days and just want the stuff they cared about 30 years ago again (for a lot of good reasons- don't get me wrong). It's hard for newer things to stand out.

I have really low expectations for this. That's kind of the same reason I didn't see the reboot- also because that movie SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN REBOOTED!

I'll just watch the originals again. I think that'll make for a better time. Especially Evil Dead 2.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

No. I suspect it will be super disappointing.

What makes the original Evil Dead films so special is they had nothing to lose, and everything to gain. There's a passion there that I don't think Sam Raimi has in the same way anymore.

It's normal for that to happen- everyone grows and evolves as they age, but that means Evil Dead had a time and place and it can't ever be so good again.

I'd prefer someone else with that kind of passion doing something new and cool like that. There have been a few over the years, but people are so cynical these days and just want the stuff they cared about 30 years ago again (for a lot of good reasons- don't get me wrong). It's hard for newer things to stand out.

I have really low expectations for this. That's kind of the same reason I didn't see the reboot- also because that movie SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN REBOOTED!

I'll just watch the originals again. I think that'll make for a better time. Especially Evil Dead 2.

^^This, this, and this.

I don't know about anyone else, but bringing back old franchises only speaks trouble for me. There was a reason they were good the first time around. I'd probably hate what they'd do to Twin Peaks too. Again, like this man said, now that the limitations are off, people are going for the 'more is better' philosophy, which isn't good.

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll be the dissenting voice I guess and say I'd really like to see it but not enough to get a Starz subscription for. I feel like Mad Max has shown that it is possible to bring back a franchise in a way that's great especially at the hands of the original director. As it is I'll end up waiting for reviews and the inevitable Netflix/Blu-ray release but cautious optimism!

Also the Evil Dead remake wasn't that bad! It's a little souless like I feel a lot of mid-high budget horror is today but I felt it was a semi-successful attempt at a 100% serious retelling of that premise without the low budget campy charm the original had and the gore was more subdued in a super grisly way in a way that was kinda like the pencil to the ankle bit from the original.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Hell yeah I am. I don't have high expectations for it, but I'm excited to see how it turns out.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm excited af

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Tom_omb

I'm super excited! I adored Sam Raimi's last horror movie, Drag Me To Hell, he's the master at visceral, comedic, gothic horror. At the very least I'm in for a pilot that re-teams Raimi with his original leading man.

I feel like expectations aren't so weighty as there's plenty of room to be the good kind of cheesy here. I'll yield to the argument that Evil Dead 2 is the better movie, but I think Army of Darkness is the most re-watchable for it's wacky campiness.

The TV shows Raimi produced in the 90s aren't far from Army of Darkness's brand of guilty pleasure. The Spartacus TV series might be a better comparison for a modern Sam Raimi produced show. People seem to like it, but I've never seen it, so I can't say either way.

With Raimi involved it can't be as bad as Bruce Campbell's directorial efforts.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, there is no way in hell this is any good.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@syce300:

I feel like Mad Max has shown that it is possible to bring back a franchise in a way that's great especially at the hands of the original director.

Mad Max isn't a reboot. It's a sequel. Mad Max works because it continues to build on pre-existing lore while being accessible to people that haven't seen it before. It does everything right by everybody. There's no reason those people can't go back and watch the old films, either, if they want to know more about Mad Max, but it also stands on it's own as a great Mad Max story.

Also the Evil Dead remake wasn't that bad! It's a little souless like I feel a lot of mid-high budget horror is today...

You're contradicting yourself which is because really you want to like it- and that's fine. I don't think we should settle just because this is the best we're gonna get, though, and that's what you're doing. Soulless is exactly the problem with so many films these days. Not that this is actually a new problem, but it doesn't have to be either.

The real problem here is Evil Dead was still open at the end of Army of Darkness for another sequel. There was no reason to reboot it. They could have done the same thing as Mad Max and told another story. It doesn't even have to have Ash in it because we know this demon problem is something that can happen anywhere- we've seen that. The moment they decide to reboot it and then "be serious" they've failed to make an Evil Dead movie. The world is open to them, they just have to be willing to tell another story. But they took the "easy way out" and just decided "Hey let's reboot this classic film." Why that has to be the option these days I just don't understand.

Sorry. This thinking really bothers me. Mad Max proves that it isn't necessary to think this way. Mad Max was a sequel 30 years later. It proves it can be done and still be great.

Sure this show could potentially be that, but I don't know. I have low expectations of them being able to do this any real justice if it's going to be on TV. It feels like it's too late now for me, but I'm happy to be wrong about it. We'll see.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Moved to Off Topic. General is for stuff about games and the site.

Thanks

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

You have no idea. You have no fucking idea how excited I am for this. It's going to be fucking awesome and there's no way for anyone to convince me otherwise. Screw the naysayers.