Are you guys getting sick of open-world games?

• 64 results
AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Are you guys getting sick of open-world games? (217 votes)

Yes 26%
No 74%

After playing GTA V I began to think about open-world games and how many are going to be coming out. Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4, The Crew and a few others I seem to be blanking on. Are you guys getting sick of open-world games?

• 
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hamst3r

I don't like open-world games at all and haven't played one in a long time. Fortunately, there are plenty of other games for me to play. If you're sick of them, play something else.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. I've never been that big on them to begin with, but I think they're still a genre with a lot of potential. We have for years had to accept many problems with open-world games to make up for their ambition, and until I start seeing open-world games that really match many options with a similar level of polish and quality, I will feel that there is more to be found in the genre.

They still aren't there yet, and maybe there's some hope on next gen consoles. For the moment, though, open-world games still have a lot to achieve before I'll feel like developers have little left to get out of them.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I avoid genre fatigue by playing different types of games. Prior to GTA V, the last open world game I played was probably...Sleeping Dogs.

Variety is the spice of life, homie.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Not at all. The trick to playing open world games is playing the good ones. GTA Five, Saints Row, Just Cause 2, Skyrim, they're all fun and engaging. They leverage the open world format to create interesting settings with plenty of detail. Rockstar and Bethesda in particular focus on creating a living, breathing world to inhabit. It adds to immersion when you can see the world outside of the missions acting and reacting to itself without any player input. It's fascinating, actually.

On the other hand titles like The Saboteur, AssCreed, and Mafia 2 do nothing to leverage their open world design. Mafia 2 is so schizophrenic in its design one must wonder how many times the developers changed their minds about whether or not to make Empire City "open" at all. There sure as hell wasn't a point to it.

TL;DR - no, I'm not getting sick of open world games. When handled properly, they can provide the best experience one can find in gaming. It's the shitty runts like Sleeping Dogs you need to watch out for.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, actually Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3 & 4, the AssCreed, etc have made me really happy because these games are starting to live up to their potential instead of going "here's a big space; it looks ugly, plays badly, and is kind of bland and empty, but it sure is big!"

This is why I have found GTA so disappointing overall, as the series has not evolved in interesting, meaningful ways, fun ways. It is a really stark difference after playing the games that released between 4 and 5... Hell, maybe even SA and 5.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

They make about three a year. I mean how can you get sick of something that isn't that common? And are they all really that much alike? Does Assassin's Creed IV really compare to GTA V fairly?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure the last legitimately open-world game I played was Skyrim, so I don't know if I can say I'm "sick of them", since I don't play that many in the first place. If I were to play all of the recent ones I'm 100% sure I would be though.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Fuck no. Open-world games is my favorite genre these days, honestly.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By kerse

im gettting sick of the same open world games, would love to see more open world rpgs besides mmos and the elder scrolls, but im kinda bias, i want more rpgs period

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Funkydupe

Sick of them?

If you're sick as a result of open-world games: Don't play them. Surely you can allow them to exist?

UpsideDownAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest problem with open world games is when navigating the world becomes tedious. GTA V was definitely that for me. I enjoy games like Infamous that give me a fast and fun way to navigate the world. I don't normally finish open world games because I get so burned out just walking around or getting to the good parts.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iceman228433

Better not be next gen is going to be nothing but open world games.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By morningstar

Not really. I didn't really play GTA 5 as an open world game anyway, just doing missions and story stuff was good enough for me.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think GTA V was kind of boring, but then again I had a great time with Sleeping Dogs, so I guess it depends. Hong Kong was just so much more interesting than fake LA and the emphasis on hand to hand combat also made it more fun. Also the shooting was better than GTA although that doesn't mean much.

The story and characters also appealed to me more, although neither game really does anything very new or interesting with it. It also looked much better on the PC which isn't really a fair comparison, but that's where I played it.

So what I'm trying to say is that Sleeping Dogs is a better game than GTA V.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I go through spurts of encumbrance with any genre, open world being one. I'm not there yet though.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Nodima

No, but I am not a "gamer", at least not in the way I was when I was in school and renting from Blockbuster or Gamefly. The only open world games I've played this generation that I'd call open world from memory were GTA4, Just Cause 2 and GTAV. I've played a couple hours of Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row III and basically had to turn them off because they felt like a Grand Theft Auto game without all the atmosphere and realism that draws me in (and the ridiculousness just wasn't as fun and insane at every given moment like Rico's infinite parachute).

I also played several hours of Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed II, the former on release and the latter this summer, and I definitely wandered around aimlessly more than I did the missions...but those games didn't actually strike me as open world for some reason. And while they had the atmosphere I look for they just weren't fun games to me, especially after I got my hands on inFamous.

Oh, do we count inFamous and inFamous 2? I suppose we totally do! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the original inFamous and inFamous 2 was alright but Second Son sure looks incredible. I'm planning to wait for and buy my next-gen console based on the release date of an open world game, so...

Can't say I'm tired of 'em. But it could be as much because I have a 50% success rate with finding either the games on top of the world any fun to play or the world any fun to play a game in and just put the controller down before it has a chance to wear me down.

Oh, Red Dead of course was incredible and perhaps the game of the generation. Fallout 3 was also incredible, my only mistake was renting it from Blockbuster rather than owning it so I had to accept I wouldn't have time to beat it by the 30ish hour mark. I could not get into Oblivion at all, I returned it the day I rented it.

I don't consider Arkham City an open world but I really, really like that format as far as action games go. It felt so tight and condensed and focused but with just enough freedom for you to feel like a guy wreaking havoc in a small town.

Borderlands I may not have even played for an hour, but that's more because it's an FPS and I realized I didn't want to accidentally play an FPS for 60 hours.

L.A. Noire: the lifelessness of the open world, that was definitely NOT a highlight of the game for me in any way. The cars weren't that fun to drive and having never been to Los Angeles I wasn't drawn into the sight seeing others were. Unlike GTA 5 I feel like that's the open world game that would most benefit from losing the open world.

If I can include Skate 2 as my final open world game after scrolling through trophies (at least the ones I've played since trophies debuted), damn it I will! We need a new open world extreme sports game!

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By Castiel

I honestly think a lot of open-world games don't need to be open-world games. A lot of times the world just doesn't seem alive enough or filled with enough fun side activities besides the main story missions to justify it. Another problem is travel time between missions, and this was also a slight problem in GTA V even, where I stopped doing the strangers and freaks missions when I had to go too far out of my way to play them.

The older I get, I'm still in my early twenties though, the faster I want to get through the story. Everything around that don't really capture my attention the same way it used to do.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Hunter5024

Yeah I'm pretty sick of them at the moment, but it's not like I'll never play another one, I just need a bit of time to recharge my Open World tank. It's the same with RPG's, even though I love both genres. They just take a lot out of me.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I am totally starting to get sick of them and I haven't even played a lot of the recent ones. That said The Crew looks great because of just how monstrous that map is.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think more games should strive to open their worlds instead of closing them down as long as it doesn't effect their story telling.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm sick of open world games that don't justify their need to be an open world experience. Some titles simply don't need to be open world, ending up hollow and empty.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I seldom play open world games; I also rarely find myself interested in them anyway. Although, it does depend on what you consider an open world game...

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely love them. For me their is nothing like the feeling of being able to choose your own path in a game, rather than be pushed down a corridor. You get a real sense of exploration and discovery which is harder to find in other genres. For me, there is nothing in gaming like the feeling I get when I hear the noise that tells me I have discovered a new location and see its name come up on screen. Or the feeling the first time I look at a map yet to be filled in with all my discoveries.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@zaccheus said:

I think GTA V was kind of boring, but then again I had a great time with Sleeping Dogs, so I guess it depends. Hong Kong was just so much more interesting than fake LA and the emphasis on hand to hand combat also made it more fun. Also the shooting was better than GTA although that doesn't mean much.

The story and characters also appealed to me more, although neither game really does anything very new or interesting with it. It also looked much better on the PC which isn't really a fair comparison, but that's where I played it.

So what I'm trying to say is that Sleeping Dogs is a better game than GTA V.

This is not an untrue statement. Sleeping Dogs is a better open-world game than GTA V. V's world has more detail but it is held down by the baggage of trying to be a lot like the old games. GTA V is a really fun game, I won't deny that, but none of its characters are as identifiable as Wei Shen nor is anything in its gameplay is fun.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, since those other games you mentionaren't out yet I haven't had a chance to get sick of them yet

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By Seppli

I'd love to get more fantasy open world games. Something like the setting of Baldur's Gate 2, just in an open world format. A dark fantasy open world game set in a major city, for the most parts.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#27  Edited By alistercat

Not at all.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, because open world games aren't really a genre. GTA V, Skyrim, Infamous, and Arkham City are open world games, but they have very little in common from a design, gameplay, and even world construction perspective.

Maybe if all someone played were urban open world games that focused on shooting and driving I could see some fatigue, but there are so many different varieties of open world games that offer vastly different experiences that I can't see any possible fatigue setting in for me.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more so getting sick of boring, generic, undetailed worlds in open world games.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I haven't played AC games since AC2 and won't plan on buying one either. I didn't buy GTAIV either since I lost interested after hating San Andreas.

Watch Dogs looks awesome, and GTAV is awesome. Yes, there are a lot of open world games coming up but nobody forces you to buy them, there are a lot of options to choose.

Current trend of open world games is nowhere as bad as WWII shooters were in PS1/PS2 era.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it depends on what the game has to offer.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By MEATBALL

I'm not sick of them, mostly because there's a huge variety of other stuff to play and so I've still enjoyed spending 100 odd hours with GTAV.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No I have always loved open world games, especially the ones with super powers

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By emprpngn

I don't really see the market as being saturated with open-world games, actually. Maybe we've had a few more in recent times than usual, but there's enough variation in theme and setting that I don't see it as being a problem.

I hope more and more games of all genres get made. You don't have to play everything, and it's better for the industry if people are gainfully employed and makin' stuff.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Jeust

I'm still waiting for the perfect zombie apocalypse open-world game!

One that isn't RPG-centric, detailed, and with a lot of depth, full of nooks and crannies.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@flappy said:

I avoid genre fatigue by playing different types of games. Prior to GTA V, the last open world game I played was probably...Sleeping Dogs.

Variety is the spice of life, homie.

Same here. Right now playing a linear shooter Alien Rage, God of War clone Blades of Time, simulation Game Dev Tycoon, with a mix of GTA V. Too much of one thing becomes boring.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get tired of good open world games

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main problem with open worlds was always the watered-down gameplay systems that comes with them. You always get some form of problem with its systems, since the game world is unfocused and less polished than a normal level. You always end up with so-so fighting systems, so-so shooting, so-so driving, so-so everything.

Exploring a world can be fun, but only when there is something to... explore and discover. When there's nothing to see, it kills the whole idea of running around and discovering stuff. Also, they need to make the gameplay elements of said open worlds comparable to linear games in order to make them more appealing. For instance, even though GTA5's shooting is greatly improved from GTA4, it's still pretty bad.

AC's combat was interesting in 2007, because it was one of the first game to introduce pseudo-realistic sword fights (where your sword clash with the enemy's and when you actually hit him, a finisher triggers and you kill him ), but the whole thing got stale very fast and they haven't done shit to improve it since.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Samaritan

I don't think I'm getting sick of open world games in general, I'm getting sick of modern-day, urban, open world games.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spraynardtatum

Not in the slightest.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By shirogane

Technically Dark Souls is an open world game...

But clearly you're talking about a very specific type of game and not just games with a world that you can freely explore yourself. In which case there aren't actually that many that get released per year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No, I'm getting sick of games that want to tell a linear story with all the focus on crafted, specific missions and events masquerading as open world games. If there's nothing to do in your open world besides collect orbs in between what may as well be instanced missions, then why bother? I'm looking at you, Assassin's Creed. The only thing there is to do in their open world is collect doodads to get a hundred percent. There is no reason to interact with anything, and there is no reason why you would have to run to your next mission instead of just launching it from a menu.

GTA5 has more sandbox elements than most of its style, but it's still mostly a themepark with various rides.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Nope. Actually playing Far Cry 3 again had me thinking they can only be the future of video games. Far Cry 3 does it so well!

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's been a strange experience; i've been kind of sick of open-world games from the start. I've played every single home-console GTA game post-3, and every single time i've gotten bored halfway through and stopped. Then I played GTAV, really enjoyed myself and beat it to the end. Then I started Saint's Row The Third and I like it way more than GTAV.

So I guess i'm just now getting on the open world train.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This year I've played Sleeping Dogs and Saints 3. Now that I'm in GTAV I'm pretty much done with driving EVERYWHERE. Still pretty good though.

I worry because both Assassins Creed and Watch Dogs kinda look like must plays...

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted no - open world doesn't mean much for the style of game you're playing. They can be very story-driven (Sleeping Dogs) to barely story-driven (Skyrim) and take place in literally any setting - that setting just requires more fleshing out. However, if you were to revise that question to "Are you sick of open world games where you play a criminal in a modern city and the primary mode of transport is stealing other people's cars"... then yes. I believe I am done with that for the moment, and am only considering playing SR4 once the price goes down for the humor.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

It really depends on what you do within the open world. There's a real cookie cutter feel to the open world genre that i think things like Saints Row The Third fall into (...was the last open world game i played that bored me to tears) , but then you take something like Sleeping Dogs, take out the gunplay, focus on melee and suddenly you have a good open world game again.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By hermes

Not really. To be fair, I am not a fan of the genre, but I think some of the ones you mention are actually pretty good games. We already suffered through an open-worldness hype, where everything was open world. And not very good, since they just limited to imitate GTA 3 and be done with it. They didn't add to it, and didn't have nearly the same level of polish. Think of the oversaturation of modern military games we still have because of COD, and apply it to open world games.

Compared to those times, this year offers feels kind of conservative.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm a bit tired/uninterested in "open world" games as we know them. But there are definitely room for games with a large open world. As long as they put more into the world part and not the large part.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm not getting tired of open-world games in general, but apart from the Saints Row games none of the recent ones have really done anything for me.

I guess I just prefer all-out-craziness when it comes to open world games. GTA V had some real potential but it just felt so bland riding around San Andreas.