Are you planning to buy a next generation console?

• 125 results
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Edited By Jeust

Poll Are you planning to buy a next generation console? (532 votes)

Yes 57%
No 15%
Maybe 25%
I want to see the results! 4%

Personally I'm thinking against it. I can't see gaming get any cheeper or even equally expensive, and with the load of unethical strategies employed by both the publishers and developers to earn bigger profits, and the desire to broaden the audience of the games developed, I'm not feeling it.

What about you?

• 
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By toowalrus

I'll buy a new console if there are exclusive games I want to play. That's really the whole story for me.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Of course

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jeust

@toowalrus said:

I'll buy a new console if there are exclusive games I want to play. That's really the whole story for me.

No matter the hindrances to play them?

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By FakeKisser

At the beginning of this year, I was super excited about getting one or both of the new consoles this fall. However, I was underwhelmed by both of the announcements. I'm still holding out hope on being excited, but I'm now thinking I may wait until next year to pick up one or possibly both of the consoles. It will obviously be about the games, but, on the hardware front, I'm definitely much more interested in the PS4.

That being said, I'm still primarily a PC gamer, and I'm thinking I will be building a new PC this fall. I'd love to see the PC being treated more like the "3rd console" this generation, in regards to the PC getting almost all of the same games this generation, just as I expect the PS4 and Xbox One will be getting mostly the same games. (I'm not counting WiiU, because I think will not get the 3rd party support the other consoles will get.)

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It'll very much depend on the exclusives, if there's enough I care about, I might in a couple of years.

But the more we see of them, the more I'm convinced I don't need anything besides a PC (and maybe a Wii U).

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

No matter the hindrances to play it?

Hindrances? For example? Having a persistent internet connection wouldn't be an issue for me. I wouldn't be interested in playing any motion-control heavy games. I already don't partake in the used market. If I can buy a PS4, pop in a copy of Second Son and play, that's really all I'm looking for.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fakekisser:

Maybe, but aren't developers concentrating on the consoles, and leaving the PC market?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeust

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

Hindrances? For example? Having a persistent internet connection wouldn't be an issue for me. I wouldn't be interested in playing any motion-control heavy games. I already don't partake in the used market. If I can buy a PS4, pop in a copy of Second Son and play, that's really all I'm looking for.

Yeah, and what about DLCs and season passes? The whole side-business generated around a game, to demand a few more coppers.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Of course. PS4 ftw. The only thing that could mabye destroy it would be if the PS4 would be region locked but I hope not.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust:It's definitely possible that this generation will see the same exact trends as we saw in the past (developers switching back over to a primarily console-based "economy"). However, there are a few things PC gamers can hold onto for hope...

1. PC gaming took advantage of aging consoles, and some publishers/developers have been able to see, first hand, the money that is up-for-grabs in the PC gaming market.
  2. PC gaming now has a lot of DRM that most gamers accept, such as Steam, Origin, UPlay, et cetera. I know there is still pirating and still some controversy around that sort of DRM, but it still doesn't negate that a lot of paying PC gamers find the ease-of-use of Steam to be worth the price of admission.
  3. Console games are going to be built more like PC games than ever before. Since the PS4 and Xbox One are basically just PCs with closed software platforms, it will be even easier for porting. Essentially, if a developer is making a game for the PS4 or Xbox One, they are making a PC game. So, there is little technological deterrence to putting it out on the PC.

I honestly think it will come down to deals that Sony and Microsoft can afford to make to Publishers/Developers to get their games exclusive. I'm thinking we'll see less of that, all around, but I could be wrong.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By sixpin

There's a strong possibility that I'll get a PS4 for exclusives. I might get a Xbox One at some point if there is some exclusive that I can't do without. Aside from that I'll probably be focusing on my PC more this gen. I don't care about TV/Sports/CallOfDuty or Kinect. The used games issue doesn't effect me directly (not much anyway), but I dislike it out of principal.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By THRICE_604

Yeah, I'm going to pick up a PS4 at launch. The Xbox One was an unmitigated disaster in terms of my personal tastes. I don't watch live TV I DVR everything or order piece meal from Amazon. I have absolutely no desire to use Kinect for any reason and don't even want it hooked up and being this big odd thing on my entertainment center.

I enjoy almost all of Sony's exclusives so that will be my first choice going in. The only thing Microsoft has managed to put out that I enjoyed was Halo, Gears, and Fable. Halo 4 was a quick burn, and I didn't even try Fable 3 or Gears Judgment. My 360 was solely for third parties because they were just better on a technical level. Sony is rectifying that mistake with PS4. Perhaps by the time Halo 5 comes out there will be a price drop and I'll pick an Xbox up and pick the bones of the 15 exclusives and see what managed to not suck. If its one thing Microsoft has shown with OG Xbox and 360 is that it can't cultivate first party success to save its life outside of the obvious. Hey you kids remember Grabbed By The Ghoulies or Perfect Dark Zero?

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am considering a PS4 but there's plenty of time for Sony to talk me out of it yet. Consoles are secondary platforms for me at this point so I am looking for something with few drawbacks and requiring of minimal involvement or commitment on my part. The PS3 on my desk represents the maximum level of bullshit that I am able to deal with in terms of forced installs, firmware and store app updates, and subscription fees - if the PS4 can avoid adding any additional hassle on top of that then it will be my console of choice.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SeanFoster

I'm not sure I'll get one initially, but I'm willing to. At this point, I lean toward getting a PS4 based on how much more I enjoyed Sony's exclusive titles (Journey, Uncharted series, inFamous, Heavy Rain, God of War 3) but it remains to be seen when the PS4 will get some titles of that calibre.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

Yeah, and what about DLCs and season passes? The whole side-business generated around a game, to demand a few more coppers.

I avoid the somewhat shady business practices by not buying DLC or season passes. The way I play games hasn't really changed with the evolving tech. I buy a game, play it, and move on. As long as the game feels complete, I'm satisfied.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably buy a new graphics card this year, or maybe at the start of next year. I cannot fathom a situation where I would buy a PS4 or a Xone.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DeF

I already have one.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeust

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

I avoid the somewhat shady business practices by not buying DLC or season passes. The way I play games hasn't really changed with the evolving tech. I buy a game, play it, and move on. As long as the game feels complete, I'm satisfied.

Yeah. I try to do that also. But will there be an Asura Wrath's trend growing, with games giving the real ending via DLC, or even part of the story, like Resident Evil 5 and the raid into the Spencer Mansion?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

Yeah. I try to do that also. But will there be an Asura Wrath's trend growing, with games giving the real ending via DLC, or even part of the story, like Resident Evil 5 and the raid into the Spencer Mansion?

That stuff definitely sucks. Though I did really enjoy that Jetstream Sam DLC for Metal Gear Rising, and I'm looking forward to that Blade Wolf DLC, so when it's done right I really appreciate it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

Yeah. I try to do that also. But will there be a Asura Wrath trend growing with games giving the real ending via DLC, or even part of the story, like Resident Evil 5, and the raid into the Spencer Mansion?

Out of the last 3 years I can think of maybe 2 games that used DLC to showcase the real ending to the game. I don't think it's really widespread issue at this point. Season passes also not an issue. I never bought a Season Pass for Borderlands 2 but I still had a ton of fun with it.

Also in the past 2 years I've had maybe one period of no internet for 2 days. I don't have caps and my internet speed is good. So I have no issue with the new Xbox One online requirements. I understand others might, but for me personally it's not an issue so I'm all set for the new Xbox experience. I still prefer console gaming to PC games which have inconsistent performance depending on your hardware and sometimes technical glitches that prevent you from playing the game at all. PC gaming has gotten a lot better in those terms but I still prefer putting the game in and playing it rather than going in and out of menus, moving sliders around, turning shadows on and off until I can reach some halfway point between desirable graphics and performance.

So yah, I totally will buy a next gen console and I can't wait for them to come out. I'm excited and pretty positive about the whole thing.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jeust

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

That stuff definitely sucks. Though I did really enjoy that Jetstream Sam DLC for Metal Gear Rising, and I'm looking forward to that Blade Wolf DLC, so when it's done right I really appreciate it.

The Blood Dragon DLC for Far Cry 3 looks awesome too!

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously at some point in time, I will. Right now though I'm wary. It'll either be the Wii U or PS4 at this point but the long focus for me is on the PC

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By baldgye

Yeah, but it's looking like a PS4 at this point...

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

a better pole might be are you going to buy a new console before the end of the year? I'm currently leaning towards getting PS4, but unless I come into extra cash or the systems com out under $300 I probably will not buy one this year. More than likely I get one this time next year or christmas 2014.

Orbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this moment in time I can safely say that I am not looking to buy either of the next-gen consoles from either Sony or Microsoft. I'm really not stoked about either of them and it would take something extraordinary to change that.

I'm also not looking to buy a Wii U.. because I already did, around launch, and gave it to my younger brother.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@def said:

I already have one.

Forget consoles, I want a time machine :O

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Toxeia

I skipped last generation - and I'm glad I did. Xbox red-rings, scary loud PS3's. It looks like the materials going into this generation's consoles are a higher quality which is good because I don't want to buy a console and have to replace it a year down the road. And then low on the list is that whole no backwards compatibility (I don't trust cloud gaming, sorry Gaikai) thing. Not a real consideration, but my wallet's glad I didn't buy into it.

I'm a member of that silly PC master race by the way, but I understand that developers focus more on that console for various reasons. That's fine, but at least this generation I won't have to miss out on the decent console exclusives.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@def said:

I already have one.

Forget consoles, I want a time machine :O

Don't tell the others, but I have one of those two. It's a little wonky though.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I'll probably get a PS4, if it's cheap enough.

I've considered getting a PC, but at the moment none of the advantages are important enough to me that I'd be willing to save up and get one.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I said maybe because I am waiting for more details on both consoles...currently, I'm planning to upgrade my pc this year.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Nictel

Yes but probably not this year.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am in the mabee, i need a new graphics card but if the last guardian definitely gets announced for the ps4 then i know were my coin will go to. but then i really do like the look of the new infamous game, ahhh if only i was rich.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By zaccheus

Probably, I'll wait 3-6 months to see how it goes.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thebunnyhunter

While i would like to keep with the pc for my main platform i dont think my current pc will take me that far into next gen and i dont see myself getting the money for the pc i want to build (could probally scrape enough for a console a bit after launch). If the games for PS4 are good and well optimized then ill choose that until i build a pc in the tail end of the generation to reap in all the rewards.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By spraynardtatum

I think I'm going to get a PS4. I want to see what happens at E3 though.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Superkenon

Ask me again after E3.

posh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i'm pretty excited about the PS4, especially since there's a big chance it's coming out in europe this year. i'm gonna be living and working in france at the end of this year so i'll finally have a wage with which to buy it on launch

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm going to skip this next generation of consoles. I don't really care about the exclusives or anything like that. Looking back on the exclusives from this past generation, there wasn't really anything that I wouldn't have been able to live without.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's the option for buying all next gen consoles? I'll have choose that one. I'm pretty excited to play things like Infamous: Second Son, Forza 5 and all sorts of stuff, I just haven't decided which one to get immediately.

fiberpay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will probably get both, although i'm more interested in the Xbox One so I will probably try to get that day 1 and pick up a PS4 whenever I can find one.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

You're asking people on a video game website if they are gonna buy next gen consoles?

Anyway I plan on picking up a ps4 hopefully sooner rather than later but of course that is yet to be decided based on pricing

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, definitely a PS4, unless Sony royally screws things up by announcing some BS like Microsoft is proposing. As long as the console is below or around $500 I will be a day 1 buyer. But if things go south I plan to upgrade the GPU on my PC and continuing gaming the way I choose without much of a problem.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not planning on buying any new console. I'm kind of done with that. I don't know if I've refined my tastes a little too much (to my detriment) or most games aren't just that fun anymore. So I'll stick with computers and computer games for the time being. If there's a game that comes out on the consoles that I would really want then I'll probably get one.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'll be getting a PS4 most likely unless they end up doing something really stupid like Xbox. I'm tired of this generation, I'm ready for something new.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't yet know enough about what these consoles offer us. I really would like to play inFamous though.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Probably a PS4 a year or two later. At least after the first price drop.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Marcsman

PS4 day one. FTW.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I already have a WiiU so yes? *cue "WiiU is not next gen"*

Depending on the whole DRM situation, I want to pick up a PS4 and I would love to see Microsoft backpedal on the issue because that and the whole regular online check-in thing are all that's keeping me from wanting to buy an Xbone.

Dangerloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Probably not. I didn't buy a PS3 till late 2011 and was really disappointed with the overall experience. (So far), none of the games that I specifically bought as reasons to own a PS3, performed or felt as great as their predecessors on the PS2. Using this thing feels like a chore. Horrible lengthy waits for installs, updates, load times, convoluted UI system etc. I just don't have the time, I haven't even put a 100 hrs total doing anything with it. Gone are the days of plug and play.