Aren't PS3 owners willing to switch sides if PSN stays ...

• 71 results
H7O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By H7O

.. indefinitely down?

How long are you willing to wait for sony to fix their network isssues before switching to x360?

was wondering about that after reading the below excerpt from a WSJ article regarding some PS3 owners threatening to jump ship over the PSN issues

"Last week's outage came at a particularly bad time for the videogame giant. Many of its teenage customers were hoping to virtually punch, kick and choke each other in new videogames, including Warner Bros entertainment's Mortal Kombat, over the three-day Easter weekend.

Instead, many of them griped on Facebook, Twitter and even the Digits Blog. Many of the upset gamers said they wanted more transparency from Sony as the process of rebuilding its service continues.

Others threatened to switch sides, as it were, and join Microsoft's Xbox Live service, which largely offers the same features as the PlayStation Network"

(link: 
Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Thoseposers

In my mind sony fanboys are like apple fanboys, they'd rather not play video games than go to the rival company. Or they'll go over and complain about how Sony was better at everything :P

but really, things will get fixed and people will forget

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Andorski

It always comes down to games.  I really wanna stick this shit to Sony, but inFamous 2 and Uncharted 3 look awesome.  Also, I'm trying to stick it to Microsoft for charging people to play online multiplayer.

sigh... I need to get into PC gaming again.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777

I love single-post topics! You know it's a quality one when it's their first post...

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By canucks23
@thoseposers said:
" In my mind sony fanboys are like apple fanboys, they'd rather not play video games than go to the rival company. Or they'll go over and complain about how Sony was better at everything :Pbut really, things will get fixed and people will forget "
You could say that about fanboys of anything...
Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Liquidus

Why would it ever stay down indefinitely? Sony completely rebuilding their network but it's not going to take forever. Besides, using Xbox Live means buying a 360 and as a person who doesn't care for either Gears or Halo, I see no point in "switching sides". Furthermore, I have a decent gaming PC so that's what I'm doing my gaming on at the moment. AND even furthermore, the PS3 still works, playing offline is totally fine.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Thoseposers
@canucks23:  yeah i guess you're right :)
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pibo47
@thoseposers said:
" In my mind sony fanboys are like apple fanboys, they'd rather not play video games than go to the rival company. Or they'll go over and complain about how Sony was better at everything :Pbut really, things will get fixed and people will forget "
Sony fanboys arent like apple fanboys. Because there is nothing worse than apple fanboys. I dont think sony consumers are going to rush out and buy 360's and shit. Itll just be a few weeks, im sure the majority of sony peps can wait. Hopefully nobody lost their financial info.
xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By xpgamer7

I WAS pro-360. I became pro-PS3 when heavy rain came out. then motion controlled Heavy rain made me even more of a fan. Team Ico games are gonna make it my new wonder console.

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By willylo

Why jump ship when you can have both? Both have issues, doesn't matter.

Also, what's this indefinitely down? They said hopefully in the next week. There's other things to do then play videogames and it does suck for sure. But when XBL went down for 2 weeks, I didn't gripe about it back in 08. Shit happens, and yes this is more extreme with the information being taken. But that's the risk we all take putting our information on the internet.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GJSmitty

I mostly play games on my PC anyways, I can wait as long as needed.  Plus, there's plenty of great single player games.  The only way I see someone switching is if they have been looking at getting a 360 for awhile.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By kashif1

I'm not spending 290 to play gears

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

i would not jump to playing xbox 360 online. i stopped playing 360 online when i played ps3 online. i said damn this is the same thing so why am i paying to get the same service. i stopped paying for live and played ps3 online. it was pretty sweet to play it online.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By luce

For that I'll just save up for a kickass PC. I didn't pledge allegiance to Sony or anything I just don't have the funds to justify getting both consoles. If PSN indeed stays down than I'll probably just ride out this gen playing singleplayer games and portable stuff. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

PS3's first party outing is composed mostly of good singleplayer. The question is do you feel risking someone getting your info and draining your bank account just to download a new LPB level or play Motorstorm online.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By C2C

While I like playing online on my PS3 every once in a while, most of the time I play offline.  So the outage doesn't really affect me that much.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By awe_stuck
@Xpgamer7 said:
" I WAS pro-360. I became pro-PS3 when heavy rain came out. then motion controlled Heavy rain made me even more of a fan. Team Ico games are gonna make it my new wonder console. "
I'm a pro fan of playin with people who dont suck. Also, my DLC comes out way earlier :D
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By spazmaster666

Considering I really only use my PSN account for watching Netflix (which I could just as easily watch on my 360), this outage didn't really affect me other than the fact that my info may have been stolen by some asshole hacker . . .

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does there have to be sides?  Fanboyism is dumb.

Also this seems like just a promotion for your blog.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By regularassmilk
@thoseposers said:
Fanboys are that way, period. And they are terrible people all around.

In response to the OP, no. As bad as this is, I don't think anybody has really lost anything besides piece of mind yet. Its a big problem that shouldn't have happened. Then again, the internet and online anything is still a toddler concept. We have a long way to go and grow, obvious by changes and advancements in the technology. The internet might be my life, but it isn't like its an infallible tool. The people who are going to play their 360's already own them.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By frankxiv
@awe_stuck said:
" @Xpgamer7 said:
" I WAS pro-360. I became pro-PS3 when heavy rain came out. then motion controlled Heavy rain made me even more of a fan. Team Ico games are gonna make it my new wonder console. "
I'm a pro fan of playin with people who dont suck. "
so pc then?
awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By awe_stuck
you cut the comment off. obviously, i'm implyin the 360
TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By TepidShark

I have mostly no choice but to wait. All my Rock Band DLC is on PS3.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SSully

I am not capable of playing PSN currently  anyways so it doesnt affect me. Unless either i have info stolen, or the network is still down by the first week of may then it will never affect me. I play games on my PC and ps3, so I still have a means of playing games. I would never go to 360 because it doesnt have enough exclusives that interest me to  bring me over. The main reason i own a ps3 are for the exclusives. So sony wont be losing me unless my personal info was stolen during this whole deal. 

wildmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By wildmatt
@thoseposers: People have already forgotten that XBL went down for A LONGGGGGG ASSSSS time during the holidays of 07... Remember getting Undertow for free? That was worth it right? :P
p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By p_p_o_d

meh I got a pc so I ok.

sony have said that some of PSN should be back next week so I guess that means logging in and playing games 

that being said a xbox 720 seems like a safe bet for me next gen right now.....   
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@wildmatt said:
" @thoseposers: People have already forgotten that XBL went down for A LONGGGGGG ASSSSS time during the holidays of 07... Remember getting Undertow for free? That was worth it right? :P "
It wasn't completely down. There was a lot of trouble, but many were still able to play online multiplayer and most were just experiencing dashboard lag. This case isn't very similar as users' personal information has been compromised and practically no one is able to log in to PSN at all.
halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By halberdierv2

well, Im not switching sides. but at least this will force Sony to improve security. i just hope all this info that was available to hackers wasn't taken, and it just was something to bring down PSN and that's it.

of course, if wishes were horses, then beggars could ride.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@H7O: Are you serious? There's more important things to consider when "switching sides" than simple brand loyalty or fanboyism. Namely the not insignificant cost of buying a new console and having to pay for an online service instead of getting it for free.

Personally I'm not bothered by the inability to play my games online as much as the theft of my personal data...

I'll probably stick with the PS3 mainly because as far as console exclusives are concerned it's got the ones I want to play. Wherever a game is available elsewhere though I buy it on Steam, it's got the best service of the lot and it's also free.
PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By PixelPrinny

Good thing I have both a PS3 and a 360 and enjoy separate games on each console. JRPGs alone are enough to keep me loving my PS3 and I don't need online for those :)

(Though I really do hope PSN comes online soon, I have Portal, MK, and Arcana Hearts 3 to play online ; ;)
N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By N7

Nope. I don't see that happening. The PS3 has a certain level of quality that I'm used to that doesn't have some sort of multiplayer focus that most 360 games have. Uncharted, God Of War, inFamous, Gran Turismo, Resistance, LittleBIGPlanet. There are others, but I'm never going to leave a console just because of multiplayer or online when there are games like what I've listed out there and coming out in the future that I wouldn't be able to resist.

Also, the Team Ico Collection. I'm not leaving any time soon.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By CountRockula
@gunslingerNZ said:
" @H7O: Are you serious? There's more important things to consider when "switching sides" than simple brand loyalty or fanboyism. Namely the not insignificant cost of buying a new console and having to pay for an online service instead of getting it for free."
This.  I really don't understand the logic behind asking if PS3 gamers are going to switch sides.  Switching consoles isn't like switching your preferred brand of shampoo; it entails dropping at least $200 on another piece of hardware which you don't already own a bunch of games for. 
DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DAFTPUNK

of course i will stick to them, jeez give them a break they are trying their best to fix the problem, patience is the key.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@CountRockula said:
" @gunslingerNZ said:
" @H7O: Are you serious? There's more important things to consider when "switching sides" than simple brand loyalty or fanboyism. Namely the not insignificant cost of buying a new console and having to pay for an online service instead of getting it for free."
This.  I really don't understand the logic behind asking if PS3 gamers are going to switch sides.  Switching consoles isn't like switching your preferred brand of shampoo; it entails dropping at least $200 on another piece of hardware which you don't already own a bunch of games for.  "
Plus I forgot to mention the hundreds if not thousands many already have invested in their software library for their respective system.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ravensword

It wont be down indefinetly, dont be crazy. IF anyone switches their gaming allegience because of it being down for a week or two then they probaly werent happy with the product to begin with.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Xeiphyer
@H7O:  Does everyone really need to pick sides? I think you need to do some growing up.

If PSN went down indefinitely, which is impossible simply because a multi-million dollar company isn't going to allow a major source of income to be decommissioned, but if it were to happen, I would just continue playing games on both consoles.

I play some on each, depending on the game and which friends are getting it.

This whole concept of 'sides' is the reason we get stupid fanboys talking shit about the other console. Just because your parent's didn't buy you both consoles doesn't mean you have to defend yours by attacking the other.
m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By m1k3

if they are taking their time trying to get it back up, they might as well improve the infrastructure.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Sooty

To be honest I don't really care, I never play online on PS3 because I just don't find it as well integrated and functional as Xbox Live is. I don't like the XMB at all, makes inviting friends a chore.

I'm happily playing God of War III, connected to PSN or not.

Ever since I got my original Xbox with Live I've always thought of the Playstation as my offline console and the Xbox as my online one, which is the same thing that has happened this generation. (well I play my PC more but still!)

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By aurahack

Everyone seems to be over-thinking this a whole bunch and it's kind of weird to watch. PSN will come back up and all will resume as normal because people will get to play games online again. 

We'll look back on this in a year, realize that it sucked but we moved on and, once again, come to the realization that everything was blown way out of proportion.
mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By mosdl
@aurahack said:
" Everyone seems to be over-thinking this a whole bunch and it's kind of weird to watch. PSN will come back up and all will resume as normal because people will get to play games online again. 

We'll look back on this in a year, realize that it sucked but we moved on and, once again, come to the realization that everything was blown way out of proportion.
"
Its the internet, everything is overblown.  Kinda like having a twitter post cut a company's stock in half for a few minutes.
Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Daroki

To paraphrase what was said during the Bombcast, you know that PSN is going to be the most secure system on the Internet once it comes back up right?  As if they're not going to have people eyeballing every light on their servers for the next six months...

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By KaosAngel

Versus XIII is staying PS3 exclusive because Nomura hates the Xbox so Square Enix fans will stay on PS3.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By theguy

Great now we have people joining to make these threads.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By theguy

Anyway fuck xbox. I'm movin to Wii

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Back in my day, we didn't have online play. We had local modes, AND THAT WAS IT!

And if that's what it turns into, then so be it. Single player games will be unaffected! 

Also, it's going back up. Eventually. 
Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Portis

I enjoy gaming on both the PS3 and Xbox 360, and this will do nothing to my mind on either consoles. Hell, I've stuck with them after one broken PS3, and 2 broken Xbox 360's. Why? Because I enjoy gaming, and these are pieces of plastic -- inanimate objects.  

What it did do is make me more cautious of tying my credit card to these sorts of services, as Sony obviously wasn't fully prepared for the worst case scenario. I was extremely careful with this type of thing with the PS3 up until a 2 weeks ago when I ended up tying a credit card to the service after 2 years of using pre-paid cards and I won't be doing that again.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bybeach

I already have a 360 and have nothing but contempt for fanboys. Only sympathy I have is that others cannot afford both, so you want the system you got to get the most good games. human nature.

Right now I could not advise someone to get a PSN account, would be my answer. That in turn could very well affect their decision if they want it to.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DeShawn2ks

Switch sides what is this? I ain't no damn fanboy and I go where the games are. I also mostly play single player games so when services go down I am still good for the most part. None of these companies are cutting me a check so I have no loyalty to any of them.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By JJOR64

Hope they do.  I'll have more people to play in Street Fighter.   :)

Mechabolic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mechabolic

Well, if psn stays down guess I'm stuck playing with my local friends!  I'm not about to pay 60 dollars just to use my own internet connection to connect to a p2p network.  Anyways, if I want to play online, I have steam for that.  The only thing that really cheeses me off about all of this is the possible information leak sony created and the fact that I waited to use my MK9 classic costumes. >:(