Art in "small" games

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By trylks

I wonder if someone else noticed that "small" games, those that are cheaper and can be found in XBLA among others, are the ones that more often offer a more artistic design, more beautiful and original visuals, etc. Examples are outland, limbo and bastion. The only standing example of a big game with a more artistic approach may be okami.

I guess that when you are managing greater budgets there is less room for exploration, experiments and risks, innovation is focused on technical details that are hard but safe, as graphics and physics. Examples are crysis, battlefield and many others, the aim is to make bigger and more polished games, but without risks, an exception could be brink to some extent since character design is more cartoony than realistic.

In this sense, it is interesting that there is this new niche for games, as the industry gets more mature and bigger games get greater budgets and stable wrt innovation, but I wonder which great games with great artistic value may never come true for the direction the industry has taken.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, why does art need to take risks to be art? If you look at heavily respected artists like da Vinci and Michelangelo, and then compare them to what everybody else was doing, you'll quickly see that they never really took any risks. "Another painting of Jesus? Fucking awesome. Lemme guess: baby, and he's with Madonna? Yea, I'll be done in a week or two."

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Video_Game_King said:
" If you look at heavily respected artists like da Vinci and Michelangelo, and then compare them to what everybody else was doing, you'll quickly see that they never really took any risks.  "
No risk but high reward....similar to Call of Duty, am I right?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" If you look at heavily respected artists like da Vinci and Michelangelo, and then compare them to what everybody else was doing, you'll quickly see that they never really took any risks.  "
No risk but high reward....similar to Call of Duty, am I right? "
I guess? Rock Band would be more apt, as I don't remember them fucking up on Rock Band 2 (why was the story more action packed and shallow-patriotic?).
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Video_Game_King: Or EA Sports' series such as Madden, FIFA, NBA, NCAA, etc....that would be the best example.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures:

Yea, pretty much. Were any more games even necessary after 05? I only say that because that was the first one for the 360.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By DystopiaX

I think it's more because the less realistic art styles are cheaper to make than realistic ones...with realistic ones you need to liscence out the expensive ass engines and generating assets take more time and money as well.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By AURON570

I think you need to re-evaluate what you take to be "art" and what makes something "more artistic" than something else. Just because something is unconventional or "takes more risks" doesn't make it more artistic, or has more artistic merit than something that is just as well-made and interesting but adheres in some ways to a type of form or genre. With that said, you should also keep in mind the limitations of a certain form of art, and also how analyzing something, like a game, or any piece of art, with a particular genre in mind affects the way we judge it.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Video_Game_King: Absolutely not....basically, your paying for updated rosters and player stats....which is why i wish they would make it so you bought the game then could buy the roster and stat updates as DLC.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By crusader8463

Most games have to do what the corporate overlords tell them to do, and they think all games have to looks like Gears of War or they won't sell.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures:

But you know for a fact that they're not gonna do it. They love money too much.

@crusader8463 said:
" Most games have to do what the corporate overlords tell them to do, and they think all games have to looks like Gears of War or they won't sell. "
Why do I feel like that's a gross oversimplification? What about the decent sales of Super Mario Galaxy? Or the recent Renaissance of adventure games?
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Video_Game_King: Yeah of course, video games are a business after all.....that's why franchises get milked so much.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures:

I have at least two responses to this. Choose which one will promote discussion:

1. Nothing wrong with milking a franchise as long as the milk pouring from the corporate teet does not curdle as soon as it hits the bucket. (Man, I really chased that to its ultimate conclusion, did I not?)
  2. There's a reason why they continue to milk franchises: it fucking works. Sucks, and you can do something about it.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crusader8463
@Video_Game_King said:

" @Unknown_Pleasures:

But you know for a fact that they're not gonna do it. They love money too much.

@crusader8463 said:

" Most games have to do what the corporate overlords tell them to do, and they think all games have to looks like Gears of War or they won't sell. "
Why do I feel like that's a gross oversimplification? What about the decent sales of Super Mario Galaxy? Or the recent Renaissance of adventure games? "
There are obviously exceptions to the rule, but generally most games go for the "make it look like real life" rule of game design rather then a "let's make it look awesome" one. Obviously some games look real because that's the point of them, but a lot of the time there are games that just scream generic that could have used a coating of artistic design instead of realism. 

Just look at what they did with Borderlands. They started out with "lets make it look real, because that's what the kids like!" and no one gave a shit about the game. They let the artist do his thing, they took a chance and he came up with something different and everyone suddenly went nuts for the game. It was the exact same game as before, but simply changing the art style suddenly made everyone want to play it.

Some genres of games can get away with doing something artistic, like your adventure games, while other genres seem to always have to be realistic or no one will green light it. When was the last time you saw a shooter go nuts with it's art style? Some genres just naturally appeal to certain demographics, and unless you are making something that can appeal to a different audience, Mario games are made for all ages so of course they are going to go nuts with the design, 99% of the time it's going to be "lets just make it look real". Some times they can do cool stuff within that limit to make stuff look interesting like the look of stuff in Heavy Rain or L.A. Noir, but not always.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crusader8463
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Unknown_Pleasures:

I have at least two responses to this. Choose which one will promote discussion:

1. Nothing wrong with milking a franchise as long as the milk pouring from the corporate teet does not curdle as soon as it hits the bucket. (Man, I really chased that to its ultimate conclusion, did I not?)
  2. There's a reason why they continue to milk franchises: it fucking works. Sucks, and you can do something about it.
"
Milking is fine as long as they change it up from time to time and not just pour out the same kind again and again and again. I love me some milk, but from time to time I want some chocolate milk to spice things up a bit. When I'm feeling really saucy I might even go for some strawberry milk. After a while though you just get your fill of all milk, and then you find yourself reaching for a nice glass of pop or orange juice instead.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Video_Game_King: I know it works which is why companies do it because its a good business decision.....why do you think I used it as an example to explain how video games are a business?....milking franchises makes money.....and I really wish capcom would have milked onimusha some more....but I can understand why they stopped making them because dawn of dreams sold over 200 million less units over a 10 week period than Onimusha 3....a shame.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
@crusader8463 said:
" When was the last time you saw a shooter go nuts with it's art style? "
Borderlands? Like you just said?

Also, I'm not sure that as many games as you think go for the realistic look. Did Rock Band 3? Or any of the Rock Bands or Guitar Heroes? Or Epic Mickey? Or Epic Yarn? Or Lufia, Meat Boy, Final Fantasy XIII, Catherine, and a shitload of other huge games? Granted, a lot of those aren't cover-based shooters, which seem to go for uber realism, so let's go for one that doesn't really try that out: Brink or Vanquish or Bulletstorm. One of those. I can't remember which because none of the press has left an impact in my mind about any of them. The point I'm trying to make is that at least one of them went for the non-realistic, cartoony art style, and it got a ton of press coverage, which usually leads to financial success.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures:

Didn't they milk Onimusha? They're the king of milking. Or maybe I'm thinking of Samurai Warriors or Dynasty Warriors.

@crusader8463:

Then go drink some chocolate milk or strawberry milk or something. Don't expect people known for making high quality milk (I know I'm assuming quite a bit, but I don't see anything wrong with it for the sake of argument) to make soda just because you got tired of milk which has in no way changed. It has pretty bad consequences.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@Video_Game_King said:

" Wait, why does art need to take risks to be art? If you look at heavily respected artists like da Vinci and Michelangelo, and then compare them to what everybody else was doing, you'll quickly see that they never really took any risks. "Another painting of Jesus? Fucking awesome. Lemme guess: baby, and he's with Madonna? Yea, I'll be done in a week or two." "

Yeah I took a Renaissance Art class in college. You wouldn't believe how many works of art are just baby Jesus and Madonna. It's insane. And pretty much all of them have 'Madonna and child' in the title. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King
@PrivateIronTFU:

Just a cursory glance of medieval art shows that it's pretty much just Jesus doing shit. Hell, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Jesus was the most common image in all of Western art. The only images that aren't of Jesus are either of other Bibley scenes or just portraits of rich people.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@Video_Game_King said:
" @PrivateIronTFU: Just a cursory glance of medieval art shows that it's pretty much just Jesus doing shit. Hell, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Jesus was the most common image in all of Western art. The only images that aren't of Jesus are either of other Bibley scenes or just portraits of rich people. "
Yeah, pretty much. Every once in a while you'll see a painting where the artist clearly said 'Fuck it' and just painted a picture of a vase full of flowers or a bowl of fruit. But yeah, it's either Jesus, Bible scenes (interpretations of Hell, usually by Bosch), and tons of portraits of ugly rich people who never smile.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King
@PrivateIronTFU:

The worst part? Modern art is the fad, if we're talking about how long it's been around. Go back in history, and you'll see the same shit being done in the Renaissance, only with Zeus or Ra instead of Jesus. Seems humans have always been into unoriginal shit, or at least art has always been unoriginal shit. Hooray for completely dismantling this entire discussion and creating a black hole of pure logic!
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@Video_Game_King: Good work. I think I just may paint a portrait of you. It won't be original, seeing as how you are a king.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By nintendoeats

I'm not sure that I agree with OP...but here's my experience.

I'm working on an indie game and the team is...two people, designer/writer and programmer. Neither of us has any visual arts skills. So, we thought, what can we produce a lot of (I won't get into why we need so much art) that anybody could do? Stick figures in paint.

The difficulty then becomes not creating the stick figures, but thinking about that style. We have to figure out how to best take advantage of the pros of stick figures (e.g. simple changes like a hat or glasses can be used to differentiate characters from each other) and downplay the cons (making small changes to a character over the course of the game could make them appear to be a different character). By doing this the style becomes our own and the thing that we did to cover a deficiency becomes a distinctive feature of the game.

On the other hand the game isn't done yet. So maybe I'm just insane.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25  Edited By JasonR86

I think this 'what is art? are video games art' bullsh*t is pretentious as hell. 

Art is defined by the one looking at the piece not by the creator, third parties to the one looking at the piece or anyone or anything else.  Anyone who attempts to determine clear cut, solidly defined and absolute criteria for art are full of sh*t. 

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By yinstarrunner

I think a lot of it has to do with team sizes, as well.  When you have over 50 people generating textures, models, and other assets for a game, it's probably very hard to come up with some sense of cohesive "stylistic" art initiative.  It would be much easier to stick to what your people know.  Although some bigger games do go with a unique artstyle, I think in that case it's less about trying to make the game appear artistic and more about making a game stand apart from the competitors.  Realistically, it seems like it would be too much trouble.  There are still plenty of games out there with amazing art that don't have to pigeonhole themselves into being fully stylized.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By trylks

I wasn't expecting people would be so sensible about the "art" word.

Forget that I said art and pretend that I simply said "original visuals", graphic styles, whatever is the term you prefer, once the point is clear, the discussion finished and the agreement reached we can write a dictionary if you feel like that.

I even wrote some examples to make the point clearer, it cannot be that hard to understand my point despite of the fact that we may not fully agree on what does "art" mean, being "art" one of the most subjective concepts ever.

Replying:

@Video_Game_King & @AURON570: 
What's the difference for you both between art and craft or engineering?

@nintendoeats: 
There is a definition of art that says it is to make the most with the least. Certainly you are doing something with very little. Maybe you can use  http://xkcd.com/ for inspiration source :)