PaJamieez--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I CHOOSE YOU! -- PSP!
I CHOOSE YOU! -- PSP!
I feel bad for my PSP. Before my hour long commute to work this morning I had a decision to make: PSP, DS or COWON Portable Media Player. It's a tough decision because that hour is precious! Like the last two Persona games, deciding what to do has several benefits! I could boost my expression with the COWON or I could increase my understanding with the DS. The PSP however, is kind of collecting dust and I don't know why? Maybe the console on portable aspect doesn't grasp me, but it seems as if games on console should be made where you can sit down for a longer period of time where as portables should have a pick up and play aspect. One example that really sticks in my head is my play time with Final Fantasy Tactics and Big Bang Mini (man that game is awesome). I've played both to completion and really enjoyed them! The difference between the two games is where I play them, and not how good they were. It turns out that I played Final Fantasy Tactics mainly at home, and rarely on the go, unless I was staying over night in a different location or waiting for someone in the car for extended periods of time. On the other hand, I never played Big Bang Mini at home! When did Big Bang Mini get some play time? -- On those long train rides back and fourth from work!

Just Kidding DS...
Just Kidding DS...
Of course there are tons of exceptions to this idea, most of which are mainly aimed at the game design. Lumines for Instance was with me 24/7 untill I maxed out the score count, and there was a time when I'd miss a train or two playing Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles on my way home. It's not to say that PSP is lacking in quality games, because it's not. With great original titles like Patapon, Loco Roco, Work Time Fun, The Monster Hunter Series, the PSP has alot to say and deserves to be heard. However, try playing Patapon while switching trains in a crowded New York City Subway and you're destined for orphaned patapon children or a verbal smack down from the boss cause you're thirty minutes late. Games like Patapon require your full attention and lack on the spot saving because it's a rhythm based game. Even with the quick sleep option, some of these games are so engaging that putting the system to sleep is a bit difficult or when forced to cut it short leaves you unsatisfied with your gaming session.

It's hard to resist games like Shin Megami Tensei: Revelations Persona, and the remake of Shadow of Memories on the PSP. (Two games that I happend to miss in the last two console generations.) And I will infact, end up purchasing them. It's sad however that I'm mostly going to play them at home, when a perfectly capable PS2 can play the same games on a bigger screen. The aspect in which portable game designers have to consider is the play time actually spent on the road, and how much excitement and allure one can pack into 25 - 30 minutes of gameplay without stifling quality. I think developers are getting the hint though, Echochrome, is a recently released puzzle game that's deep, innovative, and portable! On the horizon, Holy Invastion of Privacy, Badman! What did I do to deserve this?'s dungeon creation / tower defence game play and the Little Big Planet Port's custom user level design look as if they can guide the Playstation Portable to be a true portable game player!

Avatar image for pajamieez--defunct
PaJamieez--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I CHOOSE YOU! -- PSP!
I CHOOSE YOU! -- PSP!
I feel bad for my PSP. Before my hour long commute to work this morning I had a decision to make: PSP, DS or COWON Portable Media Player. It's a tough decision because that hour is precious! Like the last two Persona games, deciding what to do has several benefits! I could boost my expression with the COWON or I could increase my understanding with the DS. The PSP however, is kind of collecting dust and I don't know why? Maybe the console on portable aspect doesn't grasp me, but it seems as if games on console should be made where you can sit down for a longer period of time where as portables should have a pick up and play aspect. One example that really sticks in my head is my play time with Final Fantasy Tactics and Big Bang Mini (man that game is awesome). I've played both to completion and really enjoyed them! The difference between the two games is where I play them, and not how good they were. It turns out that I played Final Fantasy Tactics mainly at home, and rarely on the go, unless I was staying over night in a different location or waiting for someone in the car for extended periods of time. On the other hand, I never played Big Bang Mini at home! When did Big Bang Mini get some play time? -- On those long train rides back and fourth from work!

Just Kidding DS...
Just Kidding DS...
Of course there are tons of exceptions to this idea, most of which are mainly aimed at the game design. Lumines for Instance was with me 24/7 untill I maxed out the score count, and there was a time when I'd miss a train or two playing Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles on my way home. It's not to say that PSP is lacking in quality games, because it's not. With great original titles like Patapon, Loco Roco, Work Time Fun, The Monster Hunter Series, the PSP has alot to say and deserves to be heard. However, try playing Patapon while switching trains in a crowded New York City Subway and you're destined for orphaned patapon children or a verbal smack down from the boss cause you're thirty minutes late. Games like Patapon require your full attention and lack on the spot saving because it's a rhythm based game. Even with the quick sleep option, some of these games are so engaging that putting the system to sleep is a bit difficult or when forced to cut it short leaves you unsatisfied with your gaming session.

It's hard to resist games like Shin Megami Tensei: Revelations Persona, and the remake of Shadow of Memories on the PSP. (Two games that I happend to miss in the last two console generations.) And I will infact, end up purchasing them. It's sad however that I'm mostly going to play them at home, when a perfectly capable PS2 can play the same games on a bigger screen. The aspect in which portable game designers have to consider is the play time actually spent on the road, and how much excitement and allure one can pack into 25 - 30 minutes of gameplay without stifling quality. I think developers are getting the hint though, Echochrome, is a recently released puzzle game that's deep, innovative, and portable! On the horizon, Holy Invastion of Privacy, Badman! What did I do to deserve this?'s dungeon creation / tower defence game play and the Little Big Planet Port's custom user level design look as if they can guide the Playstation Portable to be a true portable game player!