Posted by benspyda (2030 posts) -

I thought I'd share my new project with a blog post. It's been a good long while since I did much painting, but it is a lot of fun. Now I'm no pro and I'm pretty rusty but it's just for myself so it doesn't really matter. I'm planning on painting all my favorite games from my childhood.

I started with my most memorable, Sonic. Over the past decade, the franchise has severely degraded but it doesn't lessen my love of the originals any. Perhaps Sonic the Hedgehog 2 isn't the best 16-bit game of all time but it is far and away my favorite of that era and of my childhood.

Next I am thinking of doing either Resident Evil 2 or Soul Reaver which should be tonally very different from this one.

#1 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

Pretty neat, mang. What kind of paint did you use?

#2 Edited by GunstarRed (5022 posts) -

Hehe. This is great. I had this idea late some time last year, but I didn't manage to finish a single picture.

Failure!

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

Hehe. This is great. I had this idea late some time last year, but I didn't manage to finish a single picture.

Failure!

Ha, I really like your hedgehog-ass-hedgehog representation of Sonic, though. Hopefully that was intentional because I think it looks really cool.

#4 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@gunstarred: I like the stylistic approach to sonic there!

You just gave me and idea for the next sonic. It could be a return to its roots just with some hot okami cel-shaded style graphics. Now, that's a sonic I would love to see for no reason!

#5 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

Great :D

#6 Edited by benspyda (2030 posts) -

@aurahack: Just your standard Acrylic paints.

@earlessshrimp: That would be pretty neat. A new art style would be a cool idea to shake up a pretty stale franchise. Although I did really enjoy generations so I would be up for a sequel to that.

@gunstarred: That's not your everyday sonic!

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -

Failure!

I don't know why, but your post has reminded me of this.

#8 Posted by benspyda (2030 posts) -

@gunstarred said:

Failure!

I don't know why, but your post has reminded me of this.

Oh god, that links terrifying!

#9 Edited by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -

@benspyda:

And like any Tumblr, it's hard to escape.