As A GB Fan, I Gotta Say That The Last 2 Years Haven't Been Great

AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#401  Edited By AndyAce83

@Kaiserreich: Never learn how the marked works have you? Dont know much about Customer service and how to keep interest up? I am not a new user, and I have the right to point out my disinclination with this site as is both the theme of this thread and my opinion. You may enjoy the BS talk, I dont. I find nothing funny or enlightening in the minutes upon minutes of nonsense I am forced to hear on giantbombs videos. I have stated it, and moving on. Either use giantbombs other features or using other online choies. It is not to much to ask that people be a little smarter in their comments. That is a perfectly valid opinion. If they choose to listen to me (which I doubt as people like you obviously enjoy their idiotic gibberish and this is a forum thread and not an official complaint mailed to the crew) I for one would enjoy giantbomb more.

Questions? No? Then keep your smug-assed remarks to yourself :-)

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#402  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@AndyAce83 said:

@Kaiserreich: Never learn how the marked works have you? Dont know much about Customer service and how to keep interest up? I am not a new user, and I have the right to point out my disinclination with this site as is both the theme of this thread and my opinion. You may enjoy the BS talk, I dont. I find nothing funny or enlightening in the minutes upon minutes of nonsense I am forced to hear on giantbombs videos. I have stated it, and moving on. Either use giantbombs other features or using other online choies.

Go somewhere else if it's bothering you that much, in all honesty. Nobody is forcing you to use the website.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#403  Edited By prestonhedges

@bunnymud said:

WAY too much Patrick is my only beef. I like the guy, but that one just talks and talks and talks and talks. And he has a terrible habit of cutting people off--

"But this game's resolution has a narrative justification for video game mechanics! Speculative nonsense behooves ample runtime errors!! I'm saying stuff!"

Okay, now pitch that up a bit, make it louder so it'll sound like I'm ordering a sandwich in a crowded bistro, and we're done.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#404  Edited By Willy105
@PulledaBrad said:

@Willy105 said:

I completely agree, GoranP.

Being fun is great and all, but this site has gradually degraded to a source of actual misinformation; and the cast doesn't care at all. Patrick is the absolute best of the personalities in Giantbomb, he actually knows what he's talking about and takes an effort to get things right.

It's unbelievable that some here think he's the problem; he was the best thing to come to Giantbomb since the removal of the omnibar at the bottom of the screen.

@bunnymud

said:

WAY too much Patrick is my only beef. I like the guy, but that one just talks and talks and talks and talks. And he has a terrible habit of cutting people off and/or interrupting.

He really has to. Otherwise a lot of the Quick Looks would be total nonsense.

He dose't have to. He could take all that minutia that he goes on an on about and put it in the wiki, rather than talking while running his character around in circles for 15 minutes.

Why would you want to remove information from Quick Looks? Just...why? Information isn't some secondary fluff that should be streamlined whenever possible, if you watch Quick Looks to learn more about whichever game you're playing then you will want that whatever people say there is in any way correct.  

Not that Patrick is always right (he can only do so much research for one guy), but he actually is doing research.
AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405  Edited By AndyAce83

@SirOptimusPrime: Didnt say so either. Why do you think I say so? I gave my opinion and it is simple: I find the comments on the videos to be annoying borderline aggravating. That is my opinion with a follow up wish for something more insightful. I never said I ha... in fact I said so in the quote you posted.

Beltsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406  Edited By Beltsu

I can see your point. Considering the Halo 4 quicklook, they do focus a lot on the negative points, but I wouldn't give it a 3* review. For me, it's a 4.5* game, but when I watched the quicklook, it brought my expectations down a little. But also, it's a bit easier to highlight bad stuff then good stuff, imo. That said, I don't think that the quicklooks are too long nowadays. They show a lot of gameplay, which is something that I tend to look for a lot when I'm interested in a game. Another point that someone mentioned, and that I completely agree, is that the Bombcast crew is having a hard time to keep focus on videogames. It's normal to divert a bit on a podcast and speak about non-gaming related stuff (like tv shows, babies, etc.), but they do tend to talk about off-topic stuff for too long, which is boring (specially for a non-American like me, who doesn't know about much of the stuff the guys talk about). But I wouldn't say that GB is worst. It's just different. It evolved. I must say that the most that I've dedicated myself to GB has been the last year. Before that, I rarely checked it out, and now I do it on a almost daily basis. If you are watching bombardiers, whatever is the direction you go, I'll be there with you...

SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@AndyAce83 said:

@SirOptimusPrime: Didnt say so either. Why do you think I say so? I gave my opinion and it is simple: I find the comments on the videos to be annoying borderline aggravating. That is my opinion with a follow up wish for something more insightful. I never said I ha... in fact I said so in the quote you posted.

I don't understand what you are talking about. I think you said that because you factually said that you are "forced to hear on giantbomb videos." Commenting on the guys is fine, hell I have no reason to defend them so it's more than fine, but hey... be logical and don't say you're forced to consume content that you're not.

sam1am7000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408  Edited By sam1am7000

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@AndyAce83 said:

I don't understand what you are talking about. I think you said that because you factually said that you are "forced to hear on giantbomb videos." Commenting on the guys is fine, hell I have no reason to defend them so it's more than fine, but hey... be logical and don't say you're forced to consume content that you're not.

Exactly, the guys here are just saying that if you find the format/content of the videos that annoying then maybe the site isn't for you... None of them is saying that your opinion is invalid.

@AndyAce83 said:

@Kaiserreich: Never learn how the marked works have you? Dont know much about Customer service and how to keep interest up? I am not a new user, and I have the right to point out my disinclination with this site as is both the theme of this thread and my opinion. You may enjoy the BS talk, I dont. I find nothing funny or enlightening in the minutes upon minutes of nonsense I am forced to hear on giantbombs videos. I have stated it, and moving on. Either use giantbombs other features or using other online choies. It is not to much to ask that people be a little smarter in their comments. That is a perfectly valid opinion. If they choose to listen to me (which I doubt as people like you obviously enjoy their idiotic gibberish and this is a forum thread and not an official complaint mailed to the crew) I for one would enjoy giantbomb more.

Questions? No? Then keep your smug-assed remarks to yourself :-)

The reason i think that the content of the videos is as it is now is because most of the audience here enjoys it... Hey, I don't agree with many of the things that happen here (content/format wise) but i visit this site because the rest I really enjoy.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@AndyAce83: You have the right to ask anything you want, it doesn't mean anyone will listen.

And if my comment bothered you so much, maybe you need to grow a thicker skin and not make such smug-assed(whatever that means) remarks.:3

kunoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410  Edited By kunoh

I suppose they can't please everyone, but I think the Quick Looks are generally good. Yea, maybe they don't get all the info right, or show you everything you might want to see.. but for the most part, the GB satisfies my needs as a gamer. In most of the quick looks that seem to have gone awry that I have seen, I've ended up laughing out loud, or generally found it entertaining regardless.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#411  Edited By rachelepithet

Too much last minute stuff. Not that Trackmania or Starcraft 2 are bad games, but you get the feeling that during that little shaky cam I love Mondays they decide on the spot what TNT is, if that, sometimes its Tuesday. And if no big multiplayer game is out that week, instead of finding deep cuts from years past, they just do ANOTHER track mania/trials/Starcraft one.

The primary beef with GB videos, as they've admitted to, they either don't have or don't want to use the resources necessary to do full on produced features, like Video Reviews, This Ain't No Game, or the equivalent of features that Screened had (Defending your Game, Remake Rematch) and their take on Besties is just Jeff webcamming over roms. They said its tuff to find footage that would match what their talking about in something like a video review. That sucks.

For a while, quick looks were much more welcome than five minute highlight reels. But once quick looks hit one hour long, and the crew drifting off like Abe Simpson trying to talk about WW2, the tides have turned back in favor of short, scripted content.

Those drive stream justintv videos have basically become the actual content of Giantbomb. Its no longer raw and off the cuff, just lazy and unorganized.

Some premium content, like Brad beating COD4, or the Dead Island and Fortune Street TNTs, or the Roller-coaster quick look, justify Giant Bomb, but they're few and far between, and more so when the site is bogged down with bad quick looks. I mean, one terrific video per week would be more enjoyable alone than mixed in with eight dull ones.

Again, none of the video features now are consistently good. One TNT per month is the good one. One Spookin' (Friday 13th) is the good one, you know? Where as, all Whiskey Happy Hours were great, all TANGs were great, etc.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#412  Edited By vaportra1l

Man some of you guys think too hard about videogame websites.

AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413  Edited By AndyAce83

@Kaiserreich said:

@AndyAce83: You have the right to ask anything you want, it doesn't mean anyone will listen.

Well you obviously did.

AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414  Edited By AndyAce83

@sam1am7000 said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@AndyAce83 said:

Exactly, the guys here are just saying that if you find the format/content of the videos that annoying then maybe the site isn't for you... None of them is saying that your opinion is invalid.

Well, I think this discussion is dead now, but I will summurize one more time: I stated my opinion that I find these videos annoying. You like them. Fine. I don´t. Fine. So far so good? I used the word "forced", which seems to be taken as a strong word. In context I used forced like this: IF I watch videos on giantbomb I am forced to listen, if I dont mute the video, to nonsense. That was what I meant by forced. This is later explisitly stated when I wrote: " I have stated it, and moving on. Either use giantbombs other features or using other online choies. It is not to much to ask that people be a little smarter in their comments. That is a perfectly valid opinion. If they choose to listen to me (which I doubt as people like you obviously enjoy their idiotic gibberish and this is a forum thread and not an official complaint mailed to the crew) I for one would enjoy giantbomb more."

SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@AndyAce83: If you want to have a decent discussion, then condescension is not the way to start. None of this has anything to do with the fact that you have an opinion, it all comes down to how you sound like you have entitlement to something that has no tangible effect on your life as a whole. Your if, then statement doesn't make any logical sense because you would not be in the situation where the problem arises if you never watch GB videos. Simple as, it's human error that you are still - for some reason - follow through with.

It's not about opinion now, but that just straight-up don't make no goddamn sense. If you dislike the content, but still want video game content on a serious level, there are plenty of other sources for that. Honestly, you are asking for something that the site never proposed to be - they're dudes talkin' about vidja games, not journalists (though Patrick has that covered and if you want you can just isolate yourself to reading his articles). I just don't think you want what this site is/has been designed for and are stating something that isn't going to happen in the near future. It's not like this "annoying commentary" has sprung up out of nowhere... it's been like this since at least the HotSpot days (for the public).

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416  Edited By CptBedlam

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

Again, none of the video features now are consistently good. One TNT per month is the good one.

Well duh, did it maybe occur to you that it depends on the game? They can't just make Trackmania TNTs over and over and over....

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

Where as, all Whiskey Happy Hours were great, all TANGs were great, etc.

Funny, people constantly bitched about the Happy Hour and were glad when they stopped doing it.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#417  Edited By ViciousReiven
@CptBedlam said:

Funny, people constantly bitched about the Happy Hour and were glad when they stopped doing it.

And comparatively it was still better, goes to show how far it's fallen.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418  Edited By CptBedlam

@ViciousReiven said:

@CptBedlam said:

And comparatively it was still better, goes to show how far it's fallen.

No, it really wasn't. None of the features we're now getting are as awkward to watch as the Happy Hours were. It felt extremely forced and the content from other WM sites was mostly abysmal.

Many people voiced legitimate complaints in this thread but this is getting stupid.

Adaurin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419  Edited By Adaurin

All I can add to this conversation is that I get a lot of enjoyment out of this site, whether I'm watching old or new content. It's actually my primary source of entertainment since I cancelled cable. It's unfortunate that some people are not enjoying the site like they used to, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you don't think it's worth paying for a premium membership then don't renew, simple as that. Also, I just want to add that I like Patrick, and I can see why others don't, but I think some people are too overzealous with the Patrick hate.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420  Edited By EnduranceFun

2011 was a fantastic year for Giant Bomb, almost nostalgic looking back. The beginning of this year was awful but they've had great content intermittently, far apart but it's there. Random PC Game is usually a lark and Jar Time can be enjoyable, plus I still really love pretty much all the videos Vinny or Dave are in. I think for me it comes down on a by-staff level. Ryan and Jeff especially just don't have nearly as much enthusiasm. Oddly I've gotten the sense for a while that Brad actually is interested in his job and have enjoyed most of the video content with Brad. Though Jeff has the Jar Times so I can forgive that he's a bit down lately, and I can understand why with his family problems. On Patrick I stopped listening to the Bombcast and avoid most content he's in. Fortune Street was great, so was the Friday the 13th game, but he's just very very unfunny, in my humble opinion. Basically I just want more Vinny, Drew, Dave content, and more Brad, Ryan should actually do something other than the odd QLs and edit the podcast.

I'm far more comfortable now than I was earlier in the year, though. I was considering not renewing my subscription, now I'm confident I will renew. I don't agree that Whiskey Media was some kind of golden age either, only Will and Rorie were worthwhile personalities. I skipped so many Happy Hours and hate Comic Vine in its entirety.

I also really enjoy threads like this and the tone of the conversation was set well by the great OP.

Edit: Whoops, didn't mean to bump an old thread.