#1 Edited by Matthew (1911 posts) -

So I'm a month away from getting my pretty new PC.

I like the appeal of getting completely immersed in a world. And a complex one at that.

So right now, I'm really leaning towards EVE Online. It's pretty much all about flowcharts, graphs and such, but combine that with Homeworld, and just one server? Yes please. WoW doesn't really grab me, especially this late in the game. DMO is obviously my baby, but thats 2 years away.

So, enlighten me MMO players. What has been your past experience with some of your favorite games? Why did they hook you the way they did? Any other games you would think of recommending me given the two games I told you I'm interested in?

This would be my first MMO (unless you count Diablo II online...thats pretty much a free MMO), so the whole world is new to me.

#2 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

I got pretty deep in WoW for a while to the point that I almost didn't graduate highschool so i have stayed away from mmos for a while but have been eyeing SWTOR cause I kinda like the star wars and don't mind the WoW model. However i don't want to spiral into an abyss of obsession and lose my soul. I tried eve online but got the feeling that it was going to take waaaay to long to get up to the level of other players so i stopped. i would wait for something new to come out so you can get in on it day one. I've always thought that if mmos don't completely destroy your real life they at least destroy your video game life. So until that warhammer one comes out why not take the time to enjoy some other amazing singleplayer games while you have the time.

#3 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

Doubt it would interest you, but I played City of Heroes for 5 years and loved it. It has hands down the best teaming system and class balance of an MMO. There were obviously power builds for the really tough stuff, but for the most part you could have any power sets and any combination of power and the team would work. A team of experienced players were pure magic to see in action. Sadly the player base is rather small and it can be tough to get a team now a days, and that game is not very fun to solo.

Given your complexity thing EVE is the only MMO I can think of off the top of my head that would fill that roll. Ifyou want an off line game that's almost as complex pick up the X series of games. X3 Terran Conflict or Reunion is the newsest one. Not as pretty as EVE, but it has a huge complex world.

#4 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Eve Online was very, very boring. Cool concept though.

My advice: Don't play MMOs.

#5 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
#6 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -

Ummm, so there's a Steam sale ... 10$ for Incarna for the next 13 hours. So the question is - If I buy Incarna, is that it? Or do I have to purchase all the other expansions that have come out over the years? Or does Incarna serve as my portal to this new drug - buy that and thats it?

#7 Posted by DougQuaid (1271 posts) -

The thing with EVE is, once you buy it, all the expansions are free.

It's on sale fore $10 now? It was on sale for $5 about 2 weeks ago.

#8 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

@Matthew said:

So I'm a month away from getting my pretty new PC.

I like the appeal of getting completely immersed in a world. And a complex one at that.

So right now, I'm really leaning towards EVE Online. It's pretty much all about flowcharts, graphs and such, but combine that with Homeworld, and just one server? Yes please. WoW doesn't really grab me, especially this late in the game. DMO is obviously my baby, but thats 2 years away.

So, enlighten me MMO players. What has been your past experience with some of your favorite games? Why did they hook you the way they did? Any other games you would think of recommending me given the two games I told you I'm interested in?

This would be my first MMO (unless you count Diablo II online...thats pretty much a free MMO), so the whole world is new to me.

Having played just about every retail/big MMO and most free MMO's i would say i am pretty well versed in MMO's.

As for my favorite/best experiences in MMO's it would be with Everquest, Ultima Online and World of Warcraft (vanilla wow, back when you had to earn your way 60 and get gear), i can see why WoW doesn't grab you, they completely "noob-a-fied" it, it's too simple but some people like that, If you are into Fantasy MMO's i suggest trying a few now free-2-play ones like

Dungeons & Dragons Online (The game may not be on the same level as more higher tier MMO's but it's a fun game, if you are into Dugeon Crawler type games such as Diablo 2 i think you would really enjoy it, it's more complex in terms of stats/abilities then games like WOW and it's a blast with friends)

Lord of the rings Online (Another great F2P MMO, it's got great end-game content if that is what you are after, great COOP play, fun missions and it's just fun to level)

WAR online (The game doesn't live up to the potential that a Warhammer MMO can, but the PVP is fun, the leveling is enjoyable and it's a great group game)

Before diving into pay to play i suggest checking 1 or 2 of the free ones, it will get your prepared for group play and end game play, also DAOC is still IMO the best MMO in terms of PVP, highly balanced and all around fun, as for EVE, you have to understand something, in order to be a top tier player you are going to have to sink countless hours to get a good ship and upgrades, to the point where the game gets boring, they do offer a week or 15 day free trial if you want to try it and i can go in more depth with D&D, WAR, WOW, EVE, EQ, EQ2, AOC, LOTRO etc. if you want but i need to know what type of MMO you are into, if you are looking for just a fun MMO where you don't want to have to spend hundreds of hours to get good gear and have a good time i suggest checking out LOTRO/D&D and WOW, but since WOW is out of the question i suggest those.

Now i would get into Rift but i think it's a horrible MMO, i think it tries to hard to be what WOW was when it was vanilla and it horribly fails, not to offend any RIFT lovers out there but i spent a good 80 hours in that game before giving up so i could properly form an opinion on it and i think it's more bland than WOW and just not fun.

Overall my favorite MMO's right now is LOTRO, D&D and sadly still WOW, although they did "noob" it down and i don't have the kind of love for it as i used to, the new low level content they added is incredibly fun, playing with friends is really fun and PVP is, if you have a group of people to play with then WOW isn't really that bad, in terms of end game content it lacks.

#9 Edited by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

Guild Wars 2 is a little ways off, but the good news is that you won't have a monthly subscription just like the first game.

#10 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -
@Styl3s Thanks for the reply man. From what you said about EVE, maybe it won't be my cup of tea afterall. The Homeworld series is hallowed for me, so maybe that's where my fascination with the game comes to play.
As for my interests, my true passion is riding on the hope of Dark Millennium Online. I did kinda create the page on it. But the current market right now doesn't fit that niche.
If you're willing, I would be a bit more interested in LOTRO. I'm a huge J.R.R. fan, so if that universe plays out pretty well...
#11 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -
@Matthew: It's $10 and you get a month free with that. Give it a try at least. You may end up liking it.
#12 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7049 posts) -

As a longtime WoW player, that will always be my recommendation. If not that, I'd wait for Guild Wars 2 because that's looking really great.

#13 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

@Matthew said:

@Styl3s Thanks for the reply man. From what you said about EVE, maybe it won't be my cup of tea afterall. The Homeworld series is hallowed for me, so maybe that's where my fascination with the game comes to play. As for my interests, my true passion is riding on the hope of Dark Millennium Online. I did kinda create the page on it. But the current market right now doesn't fit that niche. If you're willing, I would be a bit more interested in LOTRO. I'm a huge J.R.R. fan, so if that universe plays out pretty well...

You might get into EVE, if you don't have a bandwidth cap then you should atleast try out the free trial, i played it with a few friends for about 2 years and you really do have to sink A LOT of time into it to be good in PVP.

If you want to try out LOTRO (haven't played in awhile) but i would roll a new character with you, i know some people tend to stay away from MMO's when they don't have people to play it.

Also @Blov, yeah i forgot to mention GW2, the game looks really good and i am trying to save up to build a PC to play it once it releases, is it a 2012 game? i could probably throw like $100 a month in a "build-a-pc" box, if it releases mid-2012 i should be able to save around 1000-1200 bucks, surly that would be enough to pay for a case + all parts.

#14 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4283 posts) -

LotRO. My favorite MMO by a mile

#15 Posted by HadesTimes (802 posts) -

The best current MMOs are WoW and the free to play ones. Everything else can get a little expensive and kind of terrible. The future MMOs worth getting excited over are SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, and of course the one you mention Warhammer Dark Millennium Online. I love MMOs normally and have played hundreds of hours of them over the years. WoW has been the best and most consistent of them all. But I can understand why you aren't interested. I'm not either anymore. Guild Wars 2 or SWTOR will probably be our savors but it is still yet to be seen which will ACTUALLY be better. At this point it's WAY to early to tell.

As far as getting your new PC, just make sure you have LOTS of RAM and a descent graphics card. This will make your MMO run nice and fast, and not have any lag.

#16 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -

@crusader8463: @Styl3s: Sounds like you guys convinced me. For 10$ and a free month, there's really no reason not to give it a try. I'll do it. Also, X Rebirth looks crazy, thanks for the heads up last week crusader! Never heard of that series before...

@HadesTimes said:

As far as getting your new PC, just make sure you have LOTS of RAM and a descent graphics card. This will make your MMO run nice and fast, and not have any lag.

Oh yea, don't sweat it about that. I'm getting at least a GTX 570, and 8gbs of RAM, with a i5 2600k CPU. I'm going to be in heaven.............droooooooooollllllllllll

@Bloviator: Duuuuuude, just went to GW2 forums, and found this video. Needless to say, I'm putting this on my List.

#17 Edited by project343 (2812 posts) -

A history of opinions at $14.99/mo: 

Star Wars: Galaxies - the one true MMORPG that I've ever loved. Set deep within the Star Wars mythos where becoming a Jedi was nigh impossible, and the sight of a lightsaber brought them onto bounty boards everywhere. Oh, I miss those days--prior to being slaughtered into the cookie-cutter World of Warcraft design doc. This game is long dead. 

City of Heroes - Along with City of Villains, these were solid action-RPG titles. The depth was a bit bare (I mean, you had a class called the 'Tank'), but the combat was visceral, the cosmetic customization was endless, and the sense of feeling like a superhero was entirely nailed. Probably one of the strongest MMO expansion packs I've seen. Literally duplicated the game experience in very meaningful ways. 

EVE Online - I love everything about this game, except for playing it. The problem is that crazy ship combat with missiles and lasers shouldn't feel less exciting than brushing your teeth. I recommend it, but only if you think you can overlook the monotony in favour of the abundance of freedom.

World of Warcraft - that large purple elephant in the thread. Been there, done that. It's the king for a reason, and most of the peasants that follow have a horrible tendency to repeat the same tropes as their king. Gear grinds, solid combat archetypes, and a horrifically predictable experience (when lined up with all the games that followed). 

Interlude - almost all post-WoW games had a tendency to feel like a lot of the same, and certainly not up to that Blizzard-quality-measure. This group includes Age of Conan, Aion, Warhammer Online, Lord of the Rings Online, among others. Most of these titles, while quality releases that have clearly had many dollars pumped into them, lack the Blizzard finesse. Because of this, they've all failed to capture their audiences under traditional MMORPG fees--and some of which are now turning to a free-to-play model in order to rekindle their dying flames. 

Rift - Rift is my most recent MMO excursion after the post-WoW burnout. What Rift does is quite spectacular: it steals all the established advances over the years (dynamic events, flexible class systems, among other tiny details) and combines them into a really solid title. I'd argue that Rift is the most solid, traditional MMORPG available on the market. If the "formula" is something that you can still stand, I'd recommend running off to Telara right away (and it's on Steam!). 

--- 

Free-to-play, yay or nay? 

Vindictus - Vindictus is probably one of the most widely approved free-to-play releases available. What happens when you take a high-budget free title and release it on the Source Engine with a solid design team? Great things, apparently. It follows a Guild Wars structure: you exist in a town with multiple channels/servers that you can swap between, and you embark with a handful of individuals into missions. Goal: reach the end of a linear mission. Action is fast, reactive, physics-driven, and a few puzzles are thrown into the mix. How's it free? Cosmetics purchases and ads.

Global Agenda - I'll keep this quick: I love this game. It's the sweet-baby-love-child of Team Fortress 2's class/shooter mechanics, a little bit of Tribes jetpacking, in a Guild Wars instance/town structure. In my opinion, this game has some of the best PVP in the genre. Couldn't recommend it more. How's it free? You can purchase the box copy for a bunch of bonuses, and also pay monthly for even more stacking bonuses, as well as in-game shops. No significant limitations to free-ers.

Spiral Knights - think: Zelda, the MMO. You start off in a hub town with a bunch of players, you join matches, and you go down strings of "levels" that are randomly populated with puzzles and monsters. A perfect 15-30 minute time waster. It's a tad on the shallow end--as the 2D Zeldas can be, what with slashing at monsters and stuff, but I still recommend it. How's it free? Essentially, most actions in the game take a form of energy (from crafting, to combat rezzing, to embarking into levels) and this energy is limited but recharges over time. Item shops allow you to purchase more energy (among other things). This gives you a really solid "stopping point" and controls any addiction you might have. 

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -
#19 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

@Matthew said:

@crusader8463: @Styl3s: Sounds like you guys convinced me. For 10$ and a free month, there's really no reason not to give it a try. I'll do it. Also, X Rebirth looks crazy, thanks for the heads up last week crusader! Never heard of that series before...

@HadesTimes said:

Oh yea, don't sweat it about that. I'm getting at least a GTX 570, and 8gbs of RAM, with a i5 2600k CPU. I'm going to be in heaven.............droooooooooollllllllllll

@Bloviator: Duuuuuude, just went to GW2 forums, and found this video. Needless to say, I'm putting this on my List.

Huh? $10 for what? LOTRO? it's completely free.

#20 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -
#21 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

@Styl3s: EVE. http://store.steampowered.com/app/8500/

Ah, i still say download the full game and do the free trial to make sure, best case scenario you love it and buy it for $10, worst case you don't and still have your 10

#22 Posted by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

@Styl3s: They're aiming for late 2011, but who knows if it'll make it by then.

#23 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

You say you like getting immersed in a game?
Impossible without (good) story, of which MMOs have neither, hope that helps.