#1 Posted by Garfield360UK (453 posts) -

Hey all

I am contemplating picking up Assassins Creed 2 next week and was wandering which version of the game to get. I am looking at the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 version essentially.

Are there any differences on content or load time with either version?

Cheers

#2 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

Historically, multiplatform games have performed better on the 360, which is something I can confirm as still happening with releases as recent as Borderlands. So I would say get the 360 version.

#3 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

There is no way of knowing until the reviews start rolling in. I know with the first game the PS3 version graphics were not as good as the 360 and it also had some frame rate issues but Ubisoft said that they are aware of the problems with the first game and they worked hard to fixed those issues. The E3 showing ran very smoothly and it looked amazing so I really don't think there will be any differences in gameplay and the graphics will be on par besides the usual differences between the versions. All and all you'll enjoy this game no matter which platform you buy it for. I know I am getting the PS3 version as I had the first game for the 360 so I thought it will be a nice mixing up. I also prefer the PS3 controller for those type of games. 

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

i wouldnt know about consoles, im gonna buy it for PC . 

but if i had to pick i'd say... PS3 ? for better graphics ? i dont know.

#5 Posted by xyzygy (9887 posts) -

Personally, I find the controls insanely awkward on the PS3 because of the weird triggers. In a game where you need to hold the right trigger/R2 to run and use the left stick to move, it just felt really awkward on the PS3. But other than that I guess you'll have to wait until reviews come out to see if there are any differences.

#6 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" i wouldnt know about consoles, im gonna buy it for PC .  but if i had to pick i'd say... PS3 ? for better graphics ? i dont know. "
I'd assume you played it on the keyboard and mouse right? How did it feel. I really can't imagine playing it with a K&M control scheme. Those type of games always felt like they'd be best suited for a gamepad.  

P.S - I have to say that the development team did an incredible job recreating the Jerusalem and Acre as it was in the 12h century. As someone who grew up there and studied and visited those places many times I can  say without a shadow of a doubt that their recreation was really superb job. I don't know about Damascus since I have never been there, I don't think they'd take my presences there too well. 
#7 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -
#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" i wouldnt know about consoles, im gonna buy it for PC .  but if i had to pick i'd say... PS3 ? for better graphics ? i dont know. "
I'd assume you played it on the keyboard and mouse right? How did it feel. I really can't imagine playing it with a K&M control scheme. Those type of games always felt like they'd be best suited for a gamepad.   P.S - I have to say that the development team did an incredible job recreating the Jerusalem and Acre as it was in the 12h century. As someone who grew up there and studied and visited those places many times I can  say without a shadow of a doubt that their recreation was really superb job. I don't know about Damascus since I have never been there, I don't think they'd take my presences there too well.  "
i HONESTLY mean it when i say that i played the whole first game 3 times on the M&K and it went absolutely smooth..  

What the f were you doing in acre/jerusalem and when ?  I live in israel, have been to acre alot since its in the area, but only a couple of times to jerusalem, and yeah i would say they designed the holy land in a top notch and satisfying way
#9 Edited by xyzygy (9887 posts) -
@Mordukai said:

" @xyzygy: I think you'll find these useful. I also believe you can find them at your local game store. I know our gamestop has them.  "

Meh, Since I already have a 360 I may as well get it for that. I just use my PS3 for exclusives, but it's not just the trigger, it's the size of the controller mixed in. I have kinda big hands so the 360 controller molds a lot better whereas the PS3 I have to hold with my fingers, not my palms... if you can understand what I'm tryin ta say :P 

But that doesn't really look that much different than the other trigger other than that it curves upward... I'm talking more about the placement of the trigger, something that can't be changed without redesigning the controller.
#10 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" There is no way of knowing until the reviews start rolling in. I know with the first game the PS3 version graphics were not as good as the 360 and it also had some frame rate issues but Ubisoft said that they are aware of the problems with the first game and they worked hard to fixed those issues. The E3 showing ran very smoothly and it looked amazing so I really don't think there will be any differences in gameplay and the graphics will be on par besides the usual differences between the versions. All and all you'll enjoy this game no matter which platform you buy it for. I know I am getting the PS3 version as I had the first game for the 360 so I thought it will be a nice mixing up. I also prefer the PS3 controller for those type of games.  "
I find that odd. I would rather get a series on one console and another series on another. Mixing them just seems wrong
#11 Posted by LiquidPrince (15840 posts) -
@End_Boss said:
" Historically, multiplatform games have performed better on the 360, which is something I can confirm as still happening with releases as recent as Borderlands. So I would say get the 360 version. "
Ubisoft Montreal makes their games on PS3 as lead for the most part though, either they end up the same, or PS3 a tad better.
#12 Posted by AndrewB (7479 posts) -

If you have Assassin's Creed 1, get 2 on which ever platform you bought the first one on. Otherwise, pick your favorite console interface (controls, dashboard, etc) and let that make your decision for you. I think they'll perform similarly, if not identically.

#13 Posted by Aaox (1657 posts) -

In either case, the differences will be minuscule at most. The PS3 version comes with six extra weapons if you connect your PSP with an Assassins Creed Bloodlines save file to it, but that's assuming you have a PSP and Assassins Creed: Bloodlines, or the willing-ness-ment to get all of these items merely for six extra weapons. 

#14 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -
@Aaox said:
" In either case, the differences will be minuscule at most. The PS3 version comes with six extra weapons if you connect your PSP with an Assassins Creed Bloodlines save file to it, but that's assuming you have a PSP and Assassins Creed: Bloodlines, or the willing-ness-ment to get all of these items merely for six extra weapons.  "
Pretty much this.
#15 Edited by xyzygy (9887 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:

" @End_Boss said:

" Historically, multiplatform games have performed better on the 360, which is something I can confirm as still happening with releases as recent as Borderlands. So I would say get the 360 version. "
Ubisoft Montreal makes their games on PS3 as lead for the most part though, either they end up the same, or PS3 a tad better. "
Hmm... the only Multi-platform games I can think of would be Prince of Persia, and the colors in the 360 version were slightly more vivid and there was anti-aliasing. There was Far Cry 2, but that was developed with PC as lead, and Assassin's Creed and the Vegas games all had slight framerate issues on the PS3. Other than Lost and Shaun white, two games I didn't follow, I don't see how developing for the PS3 first is really helping any. 

Other than that there was the Naruto RPGs but those are 360 exclusive.
#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

The only difference is you get extra weapons on the PS3 if you play Assassins Creed Bloodlines.