#1 Posted by Mr_Misery (258 posts) -

If you go to gameinformer.com you will see this:

The link doesn't take you anywhere and sometimes the banner doesn't show up.

#2 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

Rocking that 1024x768 like it's 2001.

Well, if it isn't Photoshopped, looks like I'll get to scalp dudes in ACIII.

#3 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

So ... if that's real ... colonial America?

WAT

Didn't one of the guys on the bombcast say something about colonial America? I swear I remember hearing that.

#4 Posted by themangalist (1735 posts) -

@Subjugation:@WilltheMagicAsian:

If the thisreally is AC3's main character, then I'd say the screenshot of gameinformer looks pretty legit given the style of hood and the feathers of a native American, on the left. The right looks like a shopped version with Altair and G. Washington.

#5 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

They've removed that ad, but apparently it was actually there. At this point, I'd say the setting is all but confirmed. Interesting.

#6 Posted by Mr_Misery (258 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian: Well I've had this monitor since then. It is real, I have never used Photoshop in my life. Considering it is about time for GI to reveal their new cover, I'm sure you'll get your proof soon.

#7 Posted by VoshiNova (1688 posts) -

Whoaaaaa I'm intrigued.

#8 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

The new Assassin has a bow slung over his back. Why would you go from a sweet crossbow to just a plain ol' bow?

#9 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -

so Pachter was right all along

#10 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@Djratchet:

#11 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

@Subjugation: HAHAHA. I just noticed the feathers. Ok, that would explain it I guess.

#12 Posted by Gnubberen (770 posts) -

Seems like a pretty wicked setting... Well count me in

#13 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

Well that's dope as hell.

#14 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

When I was first heard the GB crew say how awesome Colonial America would be as a setting I was kind of "meh" on it, but thinking about it more and seeing this... I can't wait to assassinate people for George Washington in this game. (Please be what happens... please.)

#15 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Slave trading confirmed! Can't wait...

#16 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:

Slave trading confirmed! Can't wait...

Slaves are the replacement for the brotherhood guys you can call in.
#17 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Just saw this, and that's pretty cool. For some reason, whenever I heard people propose the American Revolution as a possible setting, I always pictured the protagonist being an extremely stereotypical colonial 'Son of Liberty'. Never thought he'd possibly be Native American, part Native American, or at least highly influenced by Native American trappings and weaponry. Seems obvious now, in retrospect.

Cool beans, I say.

#18 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama: As long as I can have my own plantation and grow some tobakee, I'll be a happy camper.

#19 Edited by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Enigma777: well that's the replacement for the fixing up rome or the villa stuff.
#20 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

I wonder if theres going to be any anti-forefathers sentiment in the game. There are some shady backgrounds with those guys

#21 Posted by MachoFantastico (4684 posts) -

Hmm, can't say I'm over the moon. Always appreciated that the series took inspiration from lesser seen historical settings, this seems a tad predictable. There's been rumors about a game set in the American revolution since before Assassin's Creed 2 was even announced, and I know there have been links to it. But still, was hoping for something more interesting. Least having him as native american is something different, was totally expecting the new assassin to be the all American macho-man :D

I'll wait and see, just hope they do something interesting because the setting never seemed that appealing to me.

#22 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Kotaku's posted up a larger picture of the dude with George Washington.

Definitely looks like he's pointing the way across the Delaware. Probably reading far too much into this, but I think it gives more credence to the theory of him being Native American. How so? Because if he's indeed guiding Washington, he wouldn't be unlike Sacagawea who helped guide Lewis and Clark and was similarly painted pointing in EVERY GODDAMN PAINTING of her with the two dudes.

#23 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

Underwhelming if true, imo.

#24 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

Colonial America is a fucking awesome setting.

#25 Posted by Rawrnosaurous (768 posts) -

I was holding out hope for japan in the edo period, or china hence the fact that assassins creed embers ended with basically having a chinese assassin looking for ezios help. I don't think I'm going to like the period much, especially considering the fact that nothing was sprawling during the time period and place. It was a couple buildings that made them up.

#26 Posted by RecSpec (3816 posts) -

The setting makes me really want to get into this series. Been waiting for a Revolutionary War setting for awhile. 

4 games behind, better get to it.

#27 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

If this is real (and it probably is), I can't wait for this game!

#28 Posted by Ksaw (343 posts) -

Before I start whining I'll say this:

1. I'll buy this the day it comes out.
  2. It'll consume several days, perhaps weeks of my life.
  3. I'll probably really enjoy it.

That being said , if this does in fact turn out to be the period of time they go with, I'll be kind of disappointed. Although Desmond has been a somewhat bland character compared to his ancestral counterparts (namely Ezio) I was still hoping they'd find a way to resolve his story using him as the main playable protagonist. It's seems like they're avoiding the possibility that the game mechanics they've been introducing and perfecting throughout the series just wouldn't make sense in a game set in modern times.

" Assassin's Creed has always been planned to be a trilogy, and Desmond is going back in time, using the Animus to eventually become the ultimate Assassin." ― Patrice Désilets, Creative Director of Assassin's Creed.

Hasn't really worked out that way, has it? I guess we'll see how it turns out.

#29 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama said:

so Pachter was right all along

That would be a first.

#30 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

I'm only excited because I want to see how they will portray that setting in a way that fits in the Assassin's Creed gameplay formula, not necessarily because it's an exciting setting in itself. I would have preferred feudal Japan and ninjas and shit, because c'mon how can you just ignore that obvious connection!

#31 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

The real question now is, what will you leap of faith off of? I can't think of any tall structures.

#32 Posted by AndrewB (7613 posts) -

That's good. Exactly the time period I wanted when the Assassin's Creed franchise began, believe it or not.

#33 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

Kinda had my heart set on taking a leap of faith off an Egyptian pyramid not a log cabin. Oh well, still going to buy it.

#34 Posted by onimonkii (2441 posts) -

i hope they don't wait until everyone stops caring to actually get to the desmond story, pumping these out pretty much yearly

or what if they're flipping the formula and you only play in this setting for a portion of the game, with the rest being desmond, then they could do their assassin's creed 3: brotherhood or whatever that's just all desmond

if not it will still be interesting to see how they translate this setting into the game's mechanics and what the story is like.

#35 Edited by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

@Djratchet said:

The new Assassin has a bow slung over his back. Why would you go from a sweet crossbow to just a plain ol' bow?

The bow is generally a supperior weapon in the hands of a skilled marksman. The crossbow takes a very long time to reload by comparison and lacks range as well as precision. Crossbow strenght has always been armor penetration (which is great when people wear plate armor, pointless in colonial times) plus it a weapon more suited for mass production, as it takes too long to train actually decent bowmen.

A bow would be perfectly suited to the Americas, as well as weighting less. And at that point guns have already replaced crosbows anyway.

#36 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Colonial America?

Eh. I think too many games are set in America, but whatever.

#37 Posted by themangalist (1735 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

The real question now is, what will you leap of faith off of? I can't think of any tall structures.

Canyons?

#38 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@themangalist said:

@Subjugation said:

Canyons?

I bet we'll be in London at some point- they've always got like 3 locations per game.

#39 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -

Nah, not too hot on that setting. Unless we travel to some other continent in the game. 

#40 Posted by Aslan186 (15 posts) -

BOOM! Confirmed.

#41 Posted by probablytuna (3659 posts) -

Could be interesting.....

#42 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Not sure if really 1024x768..or just trolling

#43 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Can't wait to get my Daniel Day Lewis in Last Of The Mohicans on. I hope we'll be witness to the formation of the Culper Ring among other cool covert things that happened during the Revulotionary War.

#44 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@MysteriousBob said:

Colonial America?

None of the previous AC games are set in America so....

#45 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@Dany said:

@MysteriousBob said:

Colonial America?

None of the previous AC games are set in America so....

Not to mention how few games outside the strategy genre are set during the Revolutionary War.

If people want ninjas, you got the Tenchu and Ninja Gaiden franchises

#46 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: All good and valid points, thanks

#47 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Ksaw: ubisoft also said Desmond will never have a game all to himself.
#48 Posted by GolazoDan (114 posts) -

Hyped for this. The setting seems fresh for this sort of game (I just wanna know how it'll work, more frequent uses of guns and all that) and the character as a concept sounds cool although we know little about him at this point. Looking forward to the historical figures. Hope George Washington is your Leonardo Da Vinci (the homosexual inventions man).