This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by scorpion2501 (12 posts) -

I really think assassins creed is milking the franchise.

I just recently finished 3 and you know what?

A fourth game has been released!Edit:Been announced

They really need to stop producing this much and this fast.

Also,Pirates?!!

Are you kidding me -.-

I lost intrest after ac2,but pirates...

#2 Edited by mtcantor (948 posts) -

Can't tell if troll or not.

#3 Posted by scorpion2501 (12 posts) -
#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Not really a fan of how gamers will drink milk and then complain that the farmer milked the cow.

#5 Posted by Zaccheus (1795 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

Can't tell if troll or not.

You can always hope...

#6 Edited by Pr1mus (3936 posts) -

Pirates are cool.

#7 Posted by scorpion2501 (12 posts) -

@video_game_king: well,i wont play the game so it will probably be a bit more like:Looks at a farmer milking a cow and complains he milks the poor animal to much.

#8 Posted by mrfluke (5200 posts) -
#10 Edited by scorpion2501 (12 posts) -

@mrfluke: they suck imo.Crusaders and knights are a lot cooler imo

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I'm lactose intolerant but I love assassinating. Soysassin's Creed is the game for me!

#12 Posted by scorpion2501 (12 posts) -
#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@video_game_king: well,i wont play the game

Well, you did play 3, and your comment I have a hard time imagining somebody complaining of milking after playing one game in a franchise and seeing another coming on the horizon, so you've still drunk the milk and complain about the milking.

#14 Posted by mrfluke (5200 posts) -

@scorpion2501: to each their own, as u say its ur opinion.

imo i was very disappointed in ac3, and this is the revelations team (mixed with a bit of the far cry 3 guys) doing this game and its reassuring that they are coming out and pretty much saying our game wont be like ac3, hammering every criticism that ac3 got and essentially being like nope our game wont be like that.

#15 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

I don't get it. What's your question?

#16 Posted by Marcsman (3209 posts) -

I hope they include "smelly pirate hookers"

#17 Posted by Morningstar (2175 posts) -

Of course they are milking it, they are a company trying to make money after all.

#18 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@mikkaq said:

I don't get it. What's your question?

"How do I use this new question feature?"

#19 Posted by Rafaelfc (1352 posts) -

I was tired of the Assassin's Creed games, but the Vita game managed to rekindle the flame for whatever ungodly reason.

Now if Assassin's Creed IV gives me another excuse to go hunting sharks and other sea beasts, i'm there day one.

#20 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4222 posts) -

If I now buy an Assassins Creed every single year, for the next 10 years, I would still be good with it. ~ Thinking the thought of CoD every year, makes me a little sad.

I like AC, I like the idea of getting it on a next-Gen console, more multiplayer. Every year is literally a different story. So, I'm good with it.

#21 Posted by Veektarius (4874 posts) -

There is something worse about releasing a game a year after a poor-received installment than a well-received one.

#22 Posted by peritus (1027 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07:When i was playing Assasin's creed 2 i would have said the same thing, but after Revelations and AC3 im not so sure anymore.

#23 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Is it me or have the forums been especially terrible lately?

#24 Posted by Drebin_893 (2918 posts) -

@kerned:

Absolutely. My one hope is that it's because Giant Bomb's getting a little more traffic.

#25 Posted by bybeach (4848 posts) -

Well gee Pirates worked in Borderlands 2, right?

Doesn't require much thought....

#26 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

@kerned said:

Is it me or have the forums been especially terrible lately?

i think it turned terrible. doesn't seem active like it use to be or something.

i haven't bought a new assassins's creed since 1. being a person that looks at game released, forum post, it kind of gets me sad to keep seeing a sequel to games that don't really need sequels. the worst are the ones that get released every year. at least release it like 3 years so it doesn't feel t hat milked.

#27 Edited by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I quite like pirates, but I also liked how AC3 was shaping up. Then it sucked. Haven't completely lost faith yet though, so here's hoping this one is great.

#28 Edited by me3639 (1765 posts) -

No idea what you are talking about.

#29 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

Yes but you keep buying them

#30 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

Well it probably was in development way before 3 was. 3 was pretty much a quick dirty cash crab.

#31 Posted by TangoUp (307 posts) -

I don't like how the Assassins are portrayed the paragons of history and the Templars as the ERMGHERD EVILLZ. As this rate, it won't be long until the franchise has its own Godwin's Law moment by portraying you-know-who as a Templar.

Anyway it is safe to say that Ubisoft has abandoned any attempts at handling the over arching story and are just basing the games around 'cool' periods in history. I wish they would find time to make a sequel to the Prince of Persia 2008. You know, actual ancient Persia and Zoroastrian times.

#32 Posted by Aegon (5661 posts) -

Assassin's Creed can't milk anything. It's not a living being.

#33 Edited by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

I bought Assassins Creed 3 at launch and found it disappointing and never finished it but recently I went back started over and completely enjoyed it for what it was. Don't get me wrong it's easily the weakest game and there are still things that completely suck like the underground "fast" travel system, personally i didn't care about the ending because the present day stuff always sucked but it's easy to tell that it was awful. All in all I'm still onboard with the franchise

#34 Posted by rentacop (107 posts) -

I'll buy every one they release until assassinating people stops being fun.

#35 Posted by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

imo i was very disappointed in ac3, and this is the revelations team (mixed with a bit of the far cry 3 guys) doing this game and its reassuring that they are coming out and pretty much saying our game wont be like ac3, hammering every criticism that ac3 got and essentially being like nope our game wont be like that.

I've yet to see anyone delineate as to why AC3 was so bad other than they didn't like the ending. I'm honestly curious as to what the criticisms are and would love if you could shed some light on it or point me somewhere where I could read up on it (preferably spoiler free). Better yet, point me to where the devs said the next game would avoid whatever made AC3 bad.

#36 Posted by probablytuna (3684 posts) -

Technically this will be the sixth Assassin's Creed game on the consoles.

#37 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4222 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

I've yet to see anyone delineate as to why AC3 was so bad other than they didn't like the ending. I'm honestly curious as to what the criticisms are and would love if you could shed some light on it or point me somewhere where I could read up on it (preferably spoiler free). Better yet, point me to where the devs said the next game would avoid whatever made AC3 bad.

Kotaku: Be Excited About Assassin’s Creed IV. And Be Skeptical.

Well, you're in luck. I present the following:

Things the Black Flag Developers Say About Their Game That Is Code For "Don't Worry, We Won't Make Some of ACIII's Mistakes

• "The Caribbean Sea is big. We wanted to make sure that it never feels lonely and empty, so, to support the main gameplay loop, we also added a lot of secondary systems that make the pirate life even more cool. " – Sylvain Trottier, ACIV producer
  • How that sounded to my ears: We know you might have felt ACIII's frontier was a bit spartan or boring or not fun enough. We are filling our vast expanses with more gameplay: like tropical storms that might rock your boat, whales you can harpoon, islands you'll discover, ships that will attack you or that you can raid, and so on.
  • "We think we have a very strong gameplay loop, with all the systems helping each other to make sure that our players are constantly progressing in the game." – Sylvain Trottier, ACIV producer
  • How that sounded to my ears: Sure, ACIII had tons of things to do, but you could avoid most of them and, hey, what was that trading system for anyway?

There's a little more. I'm not sure if this counts. ~ But ah, yea.

#38 Posted by mrfluke (5200 posts) -

@subjugation said:

@mrfluke said:

Kotaku: Be Excited About Assassin’s Creed IV. And Be Skeptical.

Well, you're in luck. I present the following:

Things the Black Flag Developers Say About Their Game That Is Code For "Don't Worry, We Won't Make Some of ACIII's Mistakes

• "The Caribbean Sea is big. We wanted to make sure that it never feels lonely and empty, so, to support the main gameplay loop, we also added a lot of secondary systems that make the pirate life even more cool. " – Sylvain Trottier, ACIV producer
  • How that sounded to my ears: We know you might have felt ACIII's frontier was a bit spartan or boring or not fun enough. We are filling our vast expanses with more gameplay: like tropical storms that might rock your boat, whales you can harpoon, islands you'll discover, ships that will attack you or that you can raid, and so on.
  • "We think we have a very strong gameplay loop, with all the systems helping each other to make sure that our players are constantly progressing in the game." – Sylvain Trottier, ACIV producer
  • How that sounded to my ears: Sure, ACIII had tons of things to do, but you could avoid most of them and, hey, what was that trading system for anyway?

There's a little more. I'm not sure if this counts. ~ But ah, yea.

from the ign article http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/the-dawn-of-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag

Edward himself seems designed, or at least destined, to stand as an answer or a contrast to Connor, which should please critics of the Assassin’s Creed III protagonist.

from the polygon article http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/4/4043166/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-ac4

Assassin's Creed 3 had three primary problems:

1. The move away from tall architecture and free-climbing toward free-running introduced various traversal problems (stupid feet, as I think I called them).

2. Constant loads and menu bloat also conspired against the game, wrecking immersion and pacing.

3. And finally, Assassin's Creed 3's lack of a meaningful economy made most of the side missions feel like filler content, even if they were well-integrated otherwise.

Black Flag is addressing these issues, according to the team, though they denied that these guiding principles and concepts were in response to AC3's critical response.

from the joystiq article http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/04/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-pushing-hard-for-more-assassina/

"we do listen to our fans a lot," Ismail says. "We know that in AC3 there was a lot more handholding done, and we do want to go back to an older philosophy where we just present you with a simple objective and we let you choose the gameplay you want."

"Ubisoft's intentions don't always come through: Assassin's Creed 3 was pitched as a fresh, focused sequel, but was criticized for its superfluous systems and obviously manufactured missions. There was a disconnect between the rich fiction and your presumed agency in the world, and it was clearly felt during the game's slow-burn opening. Assassin's Creed 4 addresses the issue of hand-holding in a few ways, Ismail says, starting with new anti-hero Edward Kenway – yes, the father of Haytham Kenway, the surly pre-protagonist in AC3's ambitious, barely elastic prologue."

"Though development of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag started in earnest during Summer 2011, Ubisoft Montreal claims there's been enough time to consider the critical and fan discussion around Assassin's Creed 3. "We don't tell you 'go here, touch this thing, interact with this thing, push this guy' to accomplish the goal. It's really just where you need to be, get there as you wish."

pretty much stuff like this you can infer that these guys are doing big damage control telling players that this wont be like AC3.

Ubisoft needs Assassins creed to keep doing the numbers that it does, as its a very expensive game to make, but its also their most successful series ever. so i imagine they absolutely did critical research of what the fans thought of ac3 which the majority was very disappointed with the game for more reasons other than the ending.

i will say, them essentially saying "nononononono this game wont be like AC3" was the thing that definitely got me back interested in assassins creed more than what the game is about.

#39 Edited by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: @mrfluke: Thank you both. I just wanted to be able to understand where people were coming from, and that was pretty hard to do without having played the game.

#40 Edited by mrfluke (5200 posts) -

@subjugation: yea no worries. but hey, if you end up playing it and enjoying it, then more power to you. there is good stuff to that game,