Assassin's Creed Trilogy v. Mass Effect Trilogy

robownz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By robownz7

I'm not positive this hasn't been brought up before, but I'm curious how people stand on this. I understand the gameplay of the games is totally different, and this really isn't a comparison of the two. I love both sets of games, and their respective stories. Which trilogy do you all prefer the most thus far, and which 3rd title are you more eager to play? I'd have to say both games started out slow for me. It took me months to beat the first game in both series, but I beat the 2nd games in a matter of days. Assassin's Creed 2 ended too fast for me, with little replay value. I have to say the Mass Effect series has my attention and I am more eager to buy the 3rd Mass Effect the most.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By wwfundertaker

Both seem interesting in their own way, totally different universes. We just need to wait and see what the third games will bring.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Andorski

My problem with the AC trilogy is that the overall story arc that will connect the three games (Desmond Miles's story) is the least interesting part.  Altiar's story was decent, and I found Ezio's story to be great.  Unfortunately, they are all self-contained within its own game and hold little weight to Desmon's story.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Skald

What if Shepard is actually in the Animus?! 

What if he's Shepard's son reliving his memories? AND HE'S A TEMPLAR?! 

SERIES CROSSOVER! DO IT!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

I loved Assassin's Creed until the third installment. Christ, that game sucks.

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Korne
@Andorski said:
"My problem with the AC trilogy is that the overall story arc that will connect the three games (Desmond Miles's story) is the least interesting part.  Altiar's story was decent, and I found Ezio's story to be great.  Unfortunately, they are all self-contained within its own game and hold little weight to Desmon's story. "

I'm the opposite: I really liked Altiar's story and didn't like Ezio's (or at least the way it was told). I love the story of Desmon, but I want to see put into the game more. I want to be in the past as one of his characters, and then FLASH... I'm running across buildings in the future. To me, Ubisoft has not sold me on the story of Assassins Creed yet... but I am still interested.
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By mattbodega

If you're asking, "Which game works better in the Trilogy format?", than the answer is Assassin's Creed. Mass Effect 1 and 2 are great, but they are effectively self-contained stories and plots. Mass Effect 2 is amazing, but the storyline doesn't "really" connect to what the franchise is laying down as it's big arc. By comparison, Assassin's Creed 2 continues to play off and explain elements from the whole arc of the story line, and the games have pretty good cliffhanger endings that continue to tantalize about future franchise installments. Of course, that also means Assassin's Creed has the most to lose if it fails: If the third game is terrible, that means that THE ENTIRE END OF THE ASSASSIN'S CREED STORY is terrible, as opposed to a bad Mass Effect Sequel which would be bad but not ultimatly connected to some greater single storyline.

SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SenatorSpacer

If we're going for 'Which series is better?' I would go with Assassin's Creed. AC1 is a lot better than ME1, and I think AC2 does a lot more interesting things than the disappointing ending of ME 2. Plus knifing fools is the shit.

Avatar image for arcane_workshop
Arcane_Workshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Arcane_Workshop

I'd put my vote towards the Mass Effect series. While I agree that the way it handles the imported story from the first game is a little shallow, the overall story arc of the Reapers and their return to the galaxy is still perfectly in tact. Furthermore it did a great job of keeping me interested in all of it during Mass Effect 2. 

I enjoy Assassin's Creed as well, but for me the simple change of characters, and timeline disconnects it from the first game. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, it could really culminate into an epic story. But for me personally, revisiting an established set of characters in a game I already loved, will bring me to it's sequel much more strongly than just about any other factor I can think of.

And to reference what MattBodega said about, if the third installment of Assassin's Creed is terrible then the whole story is pretty much shot... I have to say, I feel the same exact way about Mass Effect. I've been very interested in it's story, read all the novels, made multiple playthroughs on both games... and if it ends up pulling a Battlestar Galactica on me (Where the series was amazing, and the finale was a complete joke) then my appreciation to the series would drop right then and there. I know its harsh and unfair, but I really can't help that... to follow a story you deeply enjoy, in heated anticipation for its epic conclusion, only to be disappointed by bad decisions and writing..... is just the worst kind of shame in any kind of fiction.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Belonpopo

I loved the hell out of the first Assassin's Creed I wish it was a one time deal though. I didn't enjoy ACII as much as I should of.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax

I like ME better

robownz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By robownz7
@Tarsier: Read the OP. It wasn't meant to be a comparison. I was wondering who liked which more, simple as that..

Thanks for all the responses. I agree that AC3 has a lot of room to make a mistake. If it becomes Desmond running around dodging bullets and doing leaps of faith into garbage bins, I would probably be disappointed. They have to touch on the present (or future?) in AC3, but they have to do it while keeping up the awesome assassinations used by Ezio and Altair. I'd hate to see it turn into a lot of gun play, but I'm open to anything.

I really don't know what Mass Effect 3 could do to break the story for me. If they just end it with like, "oh the Reapers just patrol the galaxy to keep balance and shit", like the weapons from FF7, I would jar-squat the game disc. Other than that, just have Shepard give some bad ass monologue, and some epic music with lots of explosions and my carnal insticts will take care of the rest.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Azteck

Oh wow, don't make me choose. The two franchises are my two favorites of all time. If they both came out tomorrow and I could only afford one though... I'd probably go with Assassin's Creed. But that might just be because I'm in a 3rd person mood today.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By btman

Assassin's Creed gets my vote

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alphiehyr
@robownz7 said:
" I'm not positive this hasn't been brought up before, but I'm curious how people stand on this. I understand the gameplay of the games is totally different, and this really isn't a comparison of the two. I love both sets of games, and their respective stories. Which trilogy do you all prefer the most thus far, and which 3rd title are you more eager to play? I'd have to say both games started out slow for me. It took me months to beat the first game in both series, but I beat the 2nd games in a matter of days. Assassin's Creed 2 ended too fast for me, with little replay value. I have to say the Mass Effect series has my attention and I am more eager to buy the 3rd Mass Effect the most. "
I stopped reading after "and this really isn't a comparison of the two.". If it isn't, why the fuck would you write "Assassin's Creed Trilogy v Mass Effect Trilogy" in the topic title?
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Whisperkill
@Azteck said:
" Oh wow, don't make me choose. The two franchises are my two favorites of all time. If they both came out tomorrow and I could only afford one though... I'd probably go with Assassin's Creed. But that might just be because I'm in a 3rd person mood today. "
wait, isn't ME 3rd person?
robownz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By robownz7
@Alphiehyr: I guess its more of a personal preference of which someone would like more. Sorry your brain can't handle thought outside of what it specifically reads.

I'm totally surprised at how many people are choosing Assassin's Creed. I would've bet any amount of money that Mass Effect had a bigger audience. It looks fairly even down the board though.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Azteck
@Whisperkill said:
" @Azteck said:
" Oh wow, don't make me choose. The two franchises are my two favorites of all time. If they both came out tomorrow and I could only afford one though... I'd probably go with Assassin's Creed. But that might just be because I'm in a 3rd person mood today. "
wait, isn't ME 3rd person? "
I am amazed at how badly I messed up there. I meant to write something along the lines of "3rd person roof climbing game" but forgot the last part of it.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Skytylz

I'd say Mass Effect, both games have been good and the first AC was kinda week.