• 54 results
jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jillsandwich

Hey duders, I mostly stuck to the heavy hitter AAA games this year, and was mostly disappointed. I need some buck-wild Japanese bullshit for the upcoming break, and lots of game has been talked up of both Asura's Wrath and Binary Domain, and they are both super cheap on Amazon. I really like extremely earnest stories about robotics(Isaac Asimov), and I really like stuff like Gurren Lagann where there is no limit on how fucking insane the scale of things will get. I just need another game to fill up the break. Mark of the Ninja, XCOM and whatever of these two I get will probably make me less bummed about games, judging from what I've played of them so far.

Also, yes, I'll be buying the DLC for Asura's Wrath, most likely.

Sell me on one of them!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By colourful_hippie

If you want over the top crazy shit then look no further than Asura's Wrath and I strongly suggest that you play the extended ending DLC. Damn that game was a fun ride. Binary Domain's story is fun but you're mostly playing it for the character interactions which are the highlight of the game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

El Shaddai.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jillsandwich

@Video_Game_King said:

El Shaddai.

That game had been sitting on top of my TV since last Christmas. I should probably finish that...I just got to tron heaven....

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By envane

just got asuras wrath new for $28 au .. couldnt resist ... also picked up EL SHADDAI EL SHADDAI ELOHIM NO ADONAI

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By nightriff

Oh God, OH GOD, WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?! THAT IS SUCH A HARD CHOICE FOR ME!

God Dammit.....

Asura's Wrath is probably my favorite out of the two.....but please....please....please play both, they are both amazing wonderful games but if you had to pick one and ONLY one.....Asura's Wrath

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jillsandwich

I'll play both for sure. Looks like I'll play Asura's Wrath first, though.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By shiftymagician

@Video_Game_King said:

El Shaddai.

Word.

I'd pick Binary Domain if I had to pick between the two personally.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kishinfoulux

Can you BURST in Binary Domain? I thought so.

Asura's Wrath it is.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By C0V3RT

I seem to be in the vast minority, so disregard what I'm going to tell you, but I hated Asura's wrath. I'm not big into anime or whatever but bought it on sale because of all the hype it seemed to have on this site. I didn't enjoy playing it at all and if it weren't for my self imposed rule of finishing games I start... I would have stopped.

I can't speak to Binary Domain. It's in my pile of shame. It seems to have a grass roots backing of fans who say it's overlooked.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Solh0und

@Video_Game_King said:

El Shaddai.

This. I was bored of Asura's Wrath when I rented it and I didn't find Binary Domain very likeable when I played the demo. If I could find a copy of El Shaddai near me, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MiniPato

Get Binary Domain on PC if that is an option for you. Framerate is much smoother.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Winternet

Binary Domain is overrated. Gameplay is as bland as you can get. It does have great characters and character interactions.

Asura's Wrath it's . . . well, that game . . . just play Asura's Wrath.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By L44

They're are both so wildly different you can't really compare them.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Hizang

Asuras Wrath is pretty incredible and a unique experience that you should experience. Binary Domain seems like a generic third person shooter with some cool character interaction, granted I haven't played it.

JoeBigfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By JoeBigfoot

Put those hands together....

Asura's Binary Wrath Domain?

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By cosi83

Binary Domain is the better game but if you want crazy, I suggest another Nagoshi game, Yakuza 4. Yakuza 5 is on Japanese Psn now

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By golguin
@jillsandwich

Hey duders, I mostly stuck to the heavy hitter AAA games this year, and was mostly disappointed. I need some buck-wild Japanese bullshit for the upcoming break, and lots of game has been talked up of both Asura's Wrath and Binary Domain, and they are both super cheap on Amazon. I really like extremely earnest stories about robotics(Isaac Asimov), and I really like stuff like Gurren Lagann where there is no limit on how fucking insane the scale of things will get. I just need another game to fill up the break. Mark of the Ninja, XCOM and whatever of these two I get will probably make me less bummed about games, judging from what I've played of them so far.

Sell me on one of them!

Dude, there are parts in asuras wrath straight up lifted from gurren lagann. I say that is your answer.
ShatterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShatterShock

Anybody who has any soft spot in their hearts for Dragon Ball Z, Fist of the North Star or Gurren Lagann owes it to themselves to try out Asura's Wrath. The gameplay is sorta lacking compared to other action games, but if you fall in love with the characters and the style, you won't really mind.

Never got around to playing Binary Domain. The plot seemed mildly interesting but the gameplay just looked like ho-hum third person shooting. You want a real example of a Japan-flavored TPS, get Vanquish!

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By SeanCoughing

Those are actually the two games I

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeanCoughing

Whoops meant to say... Those are the two games I plan to play over Christmas, especially can't wait for Asura's wrath.

breenmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By breenmachine

Asura's Wrath is a must-play. I enjoyed Binary Domain a bunch, as well, but I would spring for Asura's Wrath first. It almost reminded me of the comic Scud: The Disposable Assassin in a way; in that everything is over the top and so insane that when the emotional core hits you, you're completely unprepared.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaLe

They are both good. If you get Asura's Wrath, you need to play the DLC.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cloudenvy

Asura's Wrath is effing incredible, and the DLC is even better.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Winternet

I'm pretty sure I've been here before, but . . play Asura's Wrath!

Solidsnak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Solidsnak

As someone who has also seen Gurren Lagann, I will have to say the scale of things in Asura's Wrath is just too small. Playing the game was kinda tedious too. Binary domain starts off weak but does get much better as you upgrade your weapons at which point it is a almost great game. The twist is pretty dumb but fun and some on the later boss fights are super crazy.

Rek503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Rek503

If you like Gurren Lagann, then you're going to love Asura's Wrath.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Humanity

Asuras Wrath is not a game, so if you want to buy an actual game the choice is very simple and Binary Domain is not only an actual game but a pretty dang fun one to play with surprisingly decent dialog and a fun story.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Xel

If you like Gurren Lagann then I can see you enjoying Asura's Wrath immensely.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeanCoughing

Is it advisable to get the dlc before y

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SeanCoughing

Goddamn phone... Should I get the dlc before I play Asura's wrath or is it meant to be played after

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MEATBALL

I found playing Asura's Wrath to be a huge drag, personally. I didn't really feel like the cutscene/QTE craziness was worth putting up with the really boring and clunky combat that dragged on for too long. Play Binary Domain, watch Asura's Wrath on YouTube.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#33  Edited By Little_Socrates

Asura's Wrath is just not as awesome as Gurren Lagaan or its several anime predecessors. It's sad that a game that spends two thirds of its runtime being seventy times crazier than Bayonetta suddenly fizzles and drops its finale entirely. I watched a friend play through that game with a group of friends, and we didn't see the extended ending or play the extended ending DLC because we had become so disenfranchised we didn't really want to play any more of it. It didn't help that it was about 3 in the morning when we finished, but still. It's ultimately a bit of a disappointment.

So I'd tell you to go with Binary Domain. It's more of a mystery, in my book, as I haven't played more than a very small amount of it. It plays nicely, though. If the story really has wild moments like some people say (Patrick on the Bombcast included,) then I'd guess it's more satisfying than Asura's Wrath.

Skrams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Skrams

@golguin said:

@jillsandwich

Sell me on one of them!

Dude, there are parts in asuras wrath straight up lifted from gurren lagann. I say that is your answer.

This. That Episode 4 DLC is practically it. Man, Asura's Wrath was so good.

Can't speak for Binary Domain as my copy is still in the plastic but yeah. Please buy the Episode 4 DLC and play Asura's Wrath.

NinjaBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NinjaBerd

@Video_Game_King said:

El Shaddai.

I still feel this game is greatly under appreciated.

But I also vote Asuras Wrath. And like some other suggestions, Vanquish is pretty rad.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By golguin

@Little_Socrates said:

Asura's Wrath is just not as awesome as Gurren Lagaan or its several anime predecessors. It's sad that a game that spends two thirds of its runtime being seventy times crazier than Bayonetta suddenly fizzles and drops its finale entirely. I watched a friend play through that game with a group of friends, and we didn't see the extended ending or play the extended ending DLC because we had become so disenfranchised we didn't really want to play any more of it. It didn't help that it was about 3 in the morning when we finished, but still. It's ultimately a bit of a disappointment.

So I'd tell you to go with Binary Domain. It's more of a mystery, in my book, as I haven't played more than a very small amount of it. It plays nicely, though. If the story really has wild moments like some people say (Patrick on the Bombcast included,) then I'd guess it's more satisfying than Asura's Wrath.

You can't say that when you haven't seen the DLC. The ending to Asura's Wrath is basically the ending to Gurren Lagann right down to the final fight. The power up scale ends up in the same place too.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#37  Edited By Little_Socrates

@golguin: Then maybe they should've put that into the game before we were so inundated with total boring in the final third that none of us were fired up to see what was in the finale. Also, if it's got sequences ripped directly from TTGL and just ends up in the same exact place as TTGL, why wouldn't you just watch TTGL rather than pay for DLC to watch reskinned TTGL with worse characters? And they ARE worse characters; the only one who maybe comes close is Augus.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Little_Socrates said:

Asura's Wrath is just not as awesome as Gurren Lagaan or its several anime predecessors.

And neither one is as awesome as bacon-drenched Fire Emblem 4.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Winternet

Nothing is more satisfying than burst. Nothing.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By golguin

@Little_Socrates said:

@golguin: Then maybe they should've put that into the game before we were so inundated with total boring in the final third that none of us were fired up to see what was in the finale. Also, if it's got sequences ripped directly from TTGL and just ends up in the same exact place as TTGL, why wouldn't you just watch TTGL rather than pay for DLC to watch reskinned TTGL with worse characters? And they ARE worse characters; the only one who maybe comes close is Augus.

Don't know what to tell you since I thought the final third was amazing. Nice way to bring it full circle. The ending DLC isn't just the final fight. More stuff happens in it that just continued to build on how awesome the game was right to the very end in the final chapter.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cloudenvy

@golguin said:

@Little_Socrates said:

Don't know what to tell you since I thought the final third was amazing. Nice way to bring it full circle. The ending DLC isn't just the final fight. More stuff happens in it that just continued to build on how awesome the game was right to the very end in the final chapter.

The DLC also has what I think is the best and most conflicting QTE of all time, I'm sure if you've played it you know which one I'm talking about.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Tennmuerti

@jillsandwich:

If you like Isaac Asimov (and other more serious science fiction dealing with AI issues) especially his longer books, then the overall story in Binary Domain will most likely disappoint.

It's treatment of this material is overall fairly simplistic and i had to start taking it in a totally non serious fun way, it was either be amused by it or start cringing at it. Being able to chuckle at the games core story was what made it fun for me rather then painful. Vinny once likened it to the movie Paycheck, and I completely agree. If you're anal about it in a sci-fi nerd way that movie and this game's story is terrible, but if you go with the flow (and embrace the layman sci-fi) it can be quite entertaining.

On the other hand the characters it sets up are indeed surprisingly well done.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By golguin

@Cloudenvy said:

@golguin said:

@Little_Socrates said:

The DLC also has what I think is the best and most conflicting QTE of all time, I'm sure if you've played it you know which one I'm talking about.

The bro moment?

jonny_mung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jonny_mung

Burst vs. Big Bo. Tough...I say just get both.

What if they made a game where Big Bo could burst?

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Flappy

Chalk one up for Asura's Wrath. I played it over the course of a couple of days, and I can honestly say that it was one of the more unique gaming experiences that I've had this generation. It just finds a way to get inside of you and make you hype. Don't even get me started on that ending DLC...

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By rjayb89

I just ordered both of them right now. Damn Bombcast duders. Both are sub-$20 so that helped.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By TobbRobb

@golguin: The Bro moment is the best QTE of all time. On all accounts.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jillsandwich

I suddenly realized I owed a guy twenty dollars, so that means that I've got nothing to buy either of those games with. Damn it. Whatever, I'll use Christmas money to buy both, because I am very much digging everything you guys are saying about both games. I really want to find out what the twist in Binary Domain is, and I really want to know what the "bro moment" is.

And...fuck, I should probably pick up Vanquish. And finish El Shaddai.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Humanity said:

Asuras Wrath is not a game, so if you want to buy an actual game the choice is very simple and Binary Domain is not only an actual game but a pretty dang fun one to play with surprisingly decent dialog and a fun story.

I confirm and understand you've never played Asura's Wrath.

MalkavianJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MalkavianJD

Binary Domain by far, it's better to just watch Asura's Wrath on youtube since it's just a movie. Also after finishing Binary Domain I would recommend the Yakuza games.