Atlus developed 11 PS2 games and 2 PS3/360 games - Why?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Atlus has developed at least 11 games for the PS2, but only 2 games for the current gen. Why is this? Are production costs too high? Do they prefer to develop games for handhelds now? Both? Will they have a next-gen presence if all they can manage is 2 games for the current one?

PS2PS3/360
Maken Shao: Demon SwordCatherine
SMT NocturnePersona 4: Arena
SMT Digital Devil Saga
SMT Digital Devil Saga 2
Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity
SMT Devil Summoner - Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army
SMT Persona 3
SMT Persona 3 FES
SMT Devl Summoner - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
SMT Persona 4

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Vextroid

My guess is that the PS2 is HUGE in Japan and it's also cheaper and easier to develop for.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@vextroid said:

My guess is that the PS2 is HUGE in Japan and it's also cheaper and easier to develop for.

This really. Also Atlus didn't even make Person 4 Arena, it was Ark System Works. Seems like they stuck with mostly handheld this generation.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Because PS2 games were always relatively cheap to make, and everything becoming HD meant the standard and costs for asset creation went way up. And Atlus is a fairly small company. Also they made a lot of portable games this gen.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Aegon

@mikkaq said:

Because PS2 games were always relatively cheap to make, and everything becoming HD meant the standard and costs for asset creation went way up. And Atlus is a fairly small company. Also they made a lot of portable games this gen.

If that's the case, then how can they possibly develop anything for the PS4 / NextBox?

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#6  Edited By donutfever

Since a lot of games later this gen will be also be available on next gen (Destiny, Watch_Dogs, The Evil Within), I'm guessing P5 might be the same way. Especially when you compare how close the PS3 and PS4 seem to be in terms of power.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

@mikkaq said:

If that's the case, then how can they possibly develop anything for the PS4 / NextBox?

I bet they will at some point, but I have a feeling that Persona 5 will be out on this gen's consoles. Plus the jump from making games for this gen to the next won't be as significant as last time.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By bigjeffrey

Atlus' games are not really about tech, so i really dont see Persona 5 coming out on Next Gen. Probably on PS3 and if they're generous Xbox 360. Also 3DS market is HUGE in the East, thats really where they've been at this generation.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By EXTomar

Because development is much more expensive in terms of time and money from PS2 to PS3.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Small company that has expertise in this really niche franchises.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@jjor64 said:

@vextroid said:

This really. Also Atlus didn't even make Person 4 Arena, it was Ark System Works. Seems like they stuck with mostly handheld this generation.

They co-developed P4A with ASW, so I'd say it counts.

But yeah, they stuck to handheld development this generation (and the next, going from the 3DS) because they're the popular platforms and they're not big enough to be developing titles with big budgets for 360/PS3, I'm guessing.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

Persona 4 Arena was an Arc System Works game, so Atlus only actually developed a single console game this generation.

PS2 games are nowhere near as expensive to make as PS3 and 360 games, so a niche company like Atlus is better off developing for the 3DS (or PC, but Japanese devs don't often go for the PC). Also, their target audience is Japan and, from what I know, the 3DS is quite popular there.

Again, I'll express the doubt that Persona 5 is going to appear on any consoles. I would not be surprised if it appeared on the 3DS and/or Vita.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@believer258 said:

Again, I'll express the doubt that Persona 5 is going to appear on any consoles. I would not be surprised if it appeared on the 3DS and/or Vita.

if that was going to happen, it would've been out already.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They published a bunch of games this gen though. Most of the SMT games that have been released lately seem to be on portables and that's really the only series they seem to develop in-house.

Kidable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kidable

So to recap, 360 pretty much doesn't exist in Japan at this stage, and PS3 is too expensive to develop for. So why not Wii, like pretty much every other Japanese dev did?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pssst Check out the psp

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So are you saying Persona 5 is going to be a PS2 exclusive?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel

Both the 360 and PS3 were outsold by the DS by a large margin, and like many Japanese developers, they chose to shift their assets to portables, which in addition to their prolific audience are also less expensive to develop for. Why spend more for a smaller audience when you can spend less for a larger one?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

@animasta said:

@believer258 said:

What makes you say that?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Because Japan.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are waiting for me to finish all those PS2 SMT games I had hoarded. Some of them are still in their shrink wrap!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@believer258 said:

What makes you say that?

SMT IV

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Hunter5024

Well like 4 or 5 of their ps2 games were developed while the 360 and PS3 were already out. So there's still time for them to catch up.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#24  Edited By audioBusting

Follow the money. The DS has a way larger market share than the home consoles in Japan. The DS and Wii games they developed were really good (though I guess all they developed on the Wii is Trauma Center, which I love).

edit: besides they're really good at making games with 2D art, which makes more sense to be on portable consoles that generation.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

The profit margins probably wouldn't be very good on home consoles this generation for Atlus so why take the risk? Stick to handhelds where they are better able to make a solid profit.