Austrailia refuses to classify yet another game...

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ShadowSkill11

This week time it happens to be Silent Hill: Homecoming(gore). In the past Fallout 3, GTA4, etc were all unrated and unsellable at most retail outlets in that country. Any Aussies out there agree with their governments policy of censorship? Wonder why no one has voted to alter the game classification standards? If the later is true, why?

Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Bartiemus

Aussies have it pretty bad at least in NZ we have an R18 rating for games if they get banned there they still make it here.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rowr

fuck.

Not again.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Jayge_

AUSTRALIANS RUI--

Oh wait. They haven't made the game change yet.

Oh well.

Imports for you guys. My heart goes out.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rowr
Jayge said:
"AUSTRALIANS RUI--

Oh wait. They haven't made the game change yet.

Oh well.

Imports for you guys. My heart goes out."
:P
Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Johnny5

You cannot vote to change classification rules. :/

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By get2sammyb

Absolutely ridiculous. Excuse my ignorance but do you Australians have the same problem with films or is this solely related to the games industry?

I love Neighbours by the way.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Johnny5
get2sammyb said:
"Absolutely ridiculous. Excuse my ignorance but do you Australians have the same problem with films or is this solely related to the games industry?

I love Neighbours by the way."
Thats the funny thing, they make it appear like games are for children. So music and movies have parental advisory and r18+ ratings.

but games are limited to M 15+ and anything worse is denied... It's be a big issue for a year now I believe.

EDIT: 100 posts woo!
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rowr
get2sammyb said:
"Absolutely ridiculous. Excuse my ignorance but do you Australians have the same problem with films or is this solely related to the games industry?

I love Neighbours by the way."
solely video games. We are ussually even less strict than America on media.

Neighbours is awful.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

They need to stop changing these games, even if the changes are minor, to gain Australian reclassification, hopefully that doesn't happen this time around (although I can't say that I'd care much for this on regardless, I won't play it anyway.)

These games don't sell in large enough numbers over there to warrant the trouble, I feel bad for you guys, but I'd rather not have anything changed over there because a small handful of people in your government are behind the times when dealing with games.

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By adam_grif

Things were never this bad under the previous government, but I'm not sure whether it's actual governmental policy changes that are resulting in the recent rash of bannings, or whether it is just a coincidence.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gizmo

Rob Schneider derp de derpedy derp!

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Johnny5
adam_grif said:
"Things were never this bad under the previous government, but I'm not sure whether it's actual governmental policy changes that are resulting in the recent rash of bannings, or whether it is just a coincidence."
no, quite the opposite in fact. Compared to America our government is quite relaxed...
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pibo47
Bartiemus said:
"Aussies have it pretty bad at least in NZ we have an R18 rating for games if they get banned there they still make it here."
Thats all the aussies need to, just add one more rating. And ill be cool.
Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aurelito
Sorry for dumb question, why don't Aussies just buy the game from Amazon or another online store? no one is pointed a gun at them to prevent them from playing unclassified games.
Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lemegeton
Aurelito said:
"Sorry for dumb question, why don't Aussies just buy the game from Amazon or another online store? no one is pointed a gun at them to prevent them from playing unclassified games.
"
there are plenty of people who (A) do not have a credit card and (B) do not feel safe using them online , so for a lot of people if the game does not get classified they dont get to play it.
its a ridiculous situation in this day and age that videogames are still treated with so little respect and understanding in certain parts of the world
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Randolph
Johnny5 said:
"You cannot vote to change classification rules. :/"
You can vote the people who made them out of power, and vote for people who are a little less paranoid, ignorant, out of touch, and big brother like.  Your government, in this situation, has the same problem as many others, close minded aging old dinosaurs who see change coming, and are just bitter and lashing out at these changes because they're too stuck in their damn fool ways to actually take the time to research and understand things.  Censorship is a snowball rolling downhill, it won't stay the same size, it'll get bigger.  It starts in small, seemingly harmless ways, but as General Akbar would say, "It's a trap!".  They're just testing the waters.
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coakroach

Australia's culture is usually so open to pretty much anything, they let the Chasers war on everything on air for Christ sake
Movies are screened unedited and so are TV shows
Its really strange, but I blame the countries backward state of affairs with Games in general
When I lived there eight months ago the Aussie dollar and the US dollar were more or less 1:1
And still a PS3 cost $999 and games usually $120, I dont think shipping costs THAT much

Anyway I think the best way to combat this is for local retail chains to take action and ensure the government that these games will only reach adult hands

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rowr
Aurelito said:
"Sorry for dumb question, why don't Aussies just buy the game from Amazon or another online store? no one is pointed a gun at them to prevent them from playing unclassified games.
"
there is no Amazon aus.

I get my games off ebay generally.

When the fallout 3 business happened, they sent out a warning that importing the game is illegal, im not sure how likely it was they would enforce it though.

Most Australians still buy retail, only the hardcore will bother with an import, if there is a retail version.