AV to VGA Cables for Old Game Systems

CapPak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I found a monitor in my basement and was wondering if I could use this to play my old systems (PS2, N64, etc..) using my monitor. If this is not a good option, what other cables could I use?

Thank you!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By cornbredx

Ya, that might work if your monitor has a connection to go into it. Most of the old VGA monitors I had in the past didn't have a video in port- they had a cable already going out so you may want to check if you could even plug this in to your monitor. You can see from the picture it's a male 15 pin (or whatever it is I forget) connector on it so your monitor would have to have a female (VGA) connector. Should also make sure the monitor isn't DVI only (just in case you haven't check that). You may be able to also find a (male to female) connector that would plug both in, but the more converters you use could potentially introduce latency- if that even matters to you.

So, I guess it just depends. I have never done this (as I have kept an old SD TV for years to use my old consoles on), but this should work- in theory I guess (since I haven't done it myself).

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Huh? The standard cable to connect from a monitor to a PC is male-to-male.

So yes, that cable should do exactly what he wants it to do.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By szlifier

This cable is a hot bullshit. For the composite video from old consoles to work with VGA you need a converter. It will cost more than a few bucks, because it's got to do a fair amount of signal processing.

From the product description:

It will work with laptops and desktops with VGA cards that has TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector. 

Such thing does not even exist.

This is what you could use, but the quality will propably be bad. Please, keep that in mind. Any TV will do a much better job.

However, if you have an HDMI input, then you could use this modern device which Giant Bomb used in Eye of The Ryckert and it worked pretty well.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Not sure about av to vga but I remember seeing on a tech web site someone was able to solder component ps2 cables to vga. There are also some converter boxes but I believe they are quite expensive now a days.

Ummm... lol I just checked out the image of the link you provided and this is kinda funky but I coulda sworn vga can't carry any audio signals. Take that as you will but the cable is trying to sell something it wasn't intended to do.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cornbredx

@szlifier:

From the product description:

It will work with laptops and desktops with VGA cards that has TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector. 

Such thing does not even exist.

I still have an AGP card that can do that through S-Video. The thing is, though, he's trying to plug it directly into his CRT monitor.

I had not considered the signal because I had assumed if they made this cable the signal would transfer on it's own- but again I've never tried it. It sounds like that alone makes it hot bullshit. It's hard for me to say because, again, I've never tried it. The VGA CRT I still have is analog, though. One would think that could work.

From what you're saying, though, to OPs point about plugging it directly into a monitor this wouldn't work, either way.

I am only speculating. I agree that a TV would be superior, and I suspect OP knows that too.

Edited to clarify

@cthomer5000: I'm not convinced you understand what I'm saying, and I'm not convinced I understand what you're getting at either. I think mainly you just misunderstand me- not all CRTs have a cable that can be unplugged. Most of the ones I had back in the day had one cable that came out the back of the monitor. It was not detachable. You may be thinking of detachable ones (which also exist and I also still have somewhere). If his CRT doesn't have a detachable cable, well- you can't plug a male cable into a male cable. If his CRT is a male plug (it probably is) it won't plug into this male plug. If it's detachable, or has a seperate TV out, maybe it will work. I don't know, I've never done that with a CRT =P

The point is he should be sure he can plug it in at all.

I'm not exactly sure if this would work now, though, szlifier has me wondering. It's one of those things I actually wish I had one of these so I could test because that would be fun to mess with haha

Hopefully that makes sense, though

@i_stay_puft: Your point about audio is legit. I'm not sure how that part of this would work either. Hmm, ya that part is a bit wacky. I was only thinking of visuals.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@cornbredx: I think the cable is for the other way around, connect a pc / laptop to a tv with a/v components. Not exactly what the op person is exactly trying to find. It still bothers me about those audio cables for left and right lol.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: Ya. You're right. This seems like it's what you'd use to plug into a TV to use a monitor for your computer if you have AV or SD on your TV.

Ya. Hmm...bizarre. I hadn't even considered that because... who does that anymore? haha

Thank you for mentioning that. I feel dumb for not even noticing that =P