Awesome Games You Almost Never Played Because of Awful Demos

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By REDRUN
Can you name an awesome game that you almost never played because of the demo or public beta?

For example my experience was the Burnout Paradise's demo was a taste of open world race game that left me confused and resistant to the changes from previous games. I felt this was not the Burnout I expected and wanted. I took a chance and bought the game on faith, its a Burnout game. It turns out, not only its the best burnout game since Takedown (introduction of rewarding takedowns this game), but best racing game experience I had and still enjoy as part of the social gaming.
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Sin4profit

The original Fallout

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Shadow

No.  If the demo was bad, and the game was good, then I wouldn't know because I didn't buy it.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

DMC4
Tales of Vesperia

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By RHCPfan24

Burnout Paradise. Glad I didn't ;)

Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Bear

Tales of Vesperia and Burnout Paradise.

Both demos deterred me from the games, however I took leaps of faith and lucked out both times; I have since spent over 50 hours in each game.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#7  Edited By Vinchenzo

RE5

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

Burnout Paradise definitely. I loved the earlier games then I played that and was just devastated. I picked it up anyway after all the reviews were glowing and I was very pleased.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb

Yup Burnout Paradise here too. I was like "nooooooo" -- but eventually bought it off the strength of reviews and a low price. Never looked back.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Why_So_Serious

RE5, definately.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tmthomsen

Resident Evil 5. I nearly convinced myself not to buy it, but luckily I made up my mind.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Karmum

Burnout Paradise, but I played the full game on my brother's PS3 and love it. Finally got around to renting it a month or so ago.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Red

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts was pretty bad when I first played the demo, but the next time I totally fell in love with it.

I ordered it over two months ago...it still hasn't come...
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By Icemael
Shadow said:
"No.  If the demo was bad, and the game was good, then I wouldn't know because I didn't buy it."

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By kush

The most obvious answer for me would be Resident Evil 5, but I'd also throw in the demo (trial) for SSF2THDR as well...a trial that only features 2 characters (essentially just the same character) and no play against the AI is just stupid.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By REDRUN
Kush said:
"The most obvious answer for me would be Resident Evil 5, but I'd also throw in the demo (trial) for SSF2THDR as well...a trial that only features 2 characters (essentially just the same character) and no play against the AI is just stupid."
I thought the same thing too about the SSF2THDR beta. I was initially excited, then months had past, no full game out yet. Couldn't tell much about the game until it was finally released. I ignored the fact it was released until a friend of mine tried to talk me into downloading it. I saw Jeff's review and then the answer was clear.

Resident Evil also gave me that vibe not to buy also, but I am surprised to see many had the same experience on the Burnout Paradise demo.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By penguindust

I found myself playing Burnout Paradise again last night.  Why? Because it's awesome!  But when the original demo dropped on PSN, I was not pleased.  It was so tiny, practically nothing to do, and so sparsely populated by traffic.  Where were the massive pile ups I had come to love?  In the long past, I was not a fan of Burnout 1.  I disliked the game immensely especially when compared to PGR and GT3.  Sure it had some neat crash effects but overall it left me feeling cheated.  So, I skipped Burnout 2 despite some recommendations by forum posters whose opinions I respected at the time, and some positive critical reviews.   Then came Burnout 3 and I fell in love with the series.  This was arcade racing perfected (for the time).  In addition to the basics there was something called "Crash Mode".  Now, it may have also been in 2, I don't recall but as I said, I skipped 2 so even if it was, it wasn't until 3 that I had an opportunity to experience the vehicular puzzle game for myself.  I throughly enjoyed the game and its follow up.  Then along comes Paradise.  My first introduction to the game was the demo and I suddenly was back in the same mindframe as I was with Burnout 1.  It seemed to me, in an effort to "GTA" the game, the developers had removed the things I found to be fun.  Distressed, I didn't buy the game at release or for many months after.  But, critical praise stressed that the demo had done the game a disservice. John Davidson (1UP/Whattheyplay) kept talking about it and Criterion kept releasing free updates with new content.  So, I took a chance and was pleasently surprised.  Each new update increases the playablity of the game.  Everytime I visit Paradise City I have a "just a little longer" experience and as Martha says...it's a good thing.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GeekDown

Resident Evil 5

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hairydutchman

The Uncharted demo wasn't horrible, but they took the least interesting part of the game imo. Still bought it though, and it's my favorite PS3 game.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mercator

I wasnt feeling the Killzone 2 demo to the point I lost total interest in KZ2.

So I guess that is my answer.

Synchronatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Synchronatic

I found the Uncharted demo to entirely unconvincing of the quality of the game. It focuses entirely on combat, which is not the game's strongest point. It seemed like a generic, if pretty, third person shooter. But after a while of my friend bugging me about it I decided to give it a try and found that its actually amazing!

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By lethalki11ler

Burnout paradise and Sly Cooper :P

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_A_Drain
@TMThomsen said:
" Resident Evil 5. I nearly convinced myself not to buy it, but luckily I made up my mind. "
This. I can't imagine not having played it now it was so good.
ArrrCee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArrrCee

For me it was the Prince of Persia: Sand of Time Demo. I thought the demo was lame but I luckily got it on a deep disocunt several months later at a Target and gave it a second shot. It ended up being one of my favorites from that generation.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zeforgotten

Only one that springs to mind is Dead Space.  
And Killzone 2 also, that demo was weak

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Willy105

For most of my experience, the demos were better than the actual game.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hot_Karl

I remember playing the "challenge room" demo of Batman: Arkham Asylum and saying "Wow, this is like that Watchmen game only with weird UE3 graphics." 

Boy was I wrong about that.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ProfessorEss

The first ones that come to mind are RE5 and Killzone 2.

...tho I'm not sure how awesome they are cause I still haven't played either.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By FLStyle

Metal Gear Solid 1. Luckily word of mouth got to me of how great it was.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30  Edited By natetodamax

I remember playing the Left 4 Dead demo briefly and didn't really get into it. A year or so later I actually bought the game and now I love the series.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Just Cause 2.  The demo was the part where i fucked up and thought the game had shitty controls and didnt like how the towns and bases were spread out all over the map. 

boy was i WRONG when i got the full game. its fucking revolutionary !

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wfolse1

Saints Row.  I played the demo and absolutely hated it but for some inexplicable reason bought the game the week it came out and loved it.  Also, loved SR2 even more.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By butano

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Psychonauts, and Beyond Good and Evil. All great games that had sub-par demos.