#1 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Saw this recently on my Youtube daily subscriptions and frankly I was stunned.  As someone who played the original Half Life when it was released I am really impressed and hope that this dude can get together with the  crew who are working on Black Mesa Source to bring some of his magic to that project.

What do you all think of this?
#2 Posted by DeeGee (2121 posts) -

They're still making Black Mesa Source?

#3 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

This is the guy that did the Dance Fortress videos too. If I remember correctly he ended up getting hired by Lionhead to work on Fable 3, but I'm not sure if he's still with them or not. Just goes to show that even when  using the original textures really good animation goes a LONG way.

#4 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@benjaebe: Yeah same dude.   I hope he didn't stay with Lionhead and kept his options open.
@DeeGee: Yeah, I think there's some noise indicating that Valve want to monetize it and that's the reason for lack of news in so long.
#5 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

very impressive

#6 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Boo on you for embedding without the fullscreen button.

#7 Posted by EuanDewar (4886 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
@DeeGee: Yeah, I think there's some noise indicating that Valve want to monetize it and that's the reason for lack of news in so long.
I wouldn't be suprised if the people working on it have been offered jobs at Valve, they seem to have a history of hiring people who do interesting stuff with their games.
#8 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

That's amazing.

#9 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Looked nice enough but if they had to put that in Black Mesa Source then it would be a game filled with QTEs

#10 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

I know I probably sound like an idiot for asking this, but is that animation redone? Seems really fluent and ahead of it's time if all that action worked like that in a game this old.
(Never played HL1)

#11 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

That was alright. Reminded me how much I loved HL.

#12 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Really cool.

#13 Posted by Redbullet685 (6033 posts) -

That looked great.

#14 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
I am impressed.
#15 Posted by Brendan (7752 posts) -

Looks awesome, but as a game it would obviously never work without being swimmy as all hell.  The creators talent could still be used for great character animation though.

#16 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

It's cool, if a bit cheesy.

#17 Posted by Crocio (542 posts) -

Imagine those animations back in 1999, that's all I can think of.

#18 Posted by Slaker117 (4837 posts) -

The first-person animations are some of the best I've seen, but man, those textures...

Great work on that one dudes part, but there's no hiding that this game is old.

#19 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -
Wow! For the first couple minutes I thought this was actual Half Life footage, I thought shit I really missed out on this!
It's great. The thing I HATE about machinima, and people who do these fan things is that they NEVER just straight-up animate anything. It's so annoying to me, I never understand why these people don't just jump right into animating. I love this though, this is exactly what I wish everyone would do. 

@benjaebe said:
This is the guy that did the Dance Fortress videos too. If I remember correctly he ended up getting hired by Lionhead to work on Fable 3.
Great! That's a good fit.
#20 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -
@csoup said:
I know I probably sound like an idiot for asking this, but is that animation redone? Seems really fluent and ahead of it's time if all that action worked like that in a game this old. (Never played HL1)
Yeah, that's why this video is so awesome. The dude can really animate.
#21 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Oh and I only just found out a couple days ago that the lambda symbol is the sihlouette of a man holding a crowbar.
I don't know if that was even intentional by Valve or not.

#22 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

OMG this guy's youtube channel!

#23 Posted by Xolare (1279 posts) -

He's working on an FPS/RTS indie game for XBLA, PSN and Steam apparently.

#24 Posted by Tordah (2478 posts) -

That was surprisingly awesome.