#1 Posted by Excast (782 posts) -

..but if you don't have a stable broadband connection, Microsoft's solution is to just stick with 360? And that isn't backwards? The messaging coming out of this company is some of the most incompetent stuff I have ever seen in the gaming industry.

Some people are comparing it to the PS3, but in reality this is way worse. PS3 had a few big issues..mostly with it's price, but the console was at least functional around the world. These are fundamental design choices that can't be fixed with a price reduction.

#2 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3532 posts) -

It was a stupid quote, but nobody is going to have backwards compatibility this generation, so it really is kind of a non-issue. It would actually be worse if the PS4 DID have backwards compatibility at this point, because that would mean they kept a similar system architecture, and the PS3 was apparently a nightmare to work with.

#3 Edited by SecularBaron (176 posts) -

I'm sure the Xbox One will cover the needs of a lot of people. But yeah not everyone has a decent internet connection, a lot of people I know don't. Microsoft seems to be failing at PR this time around. I don't think this fight is anywhere near over. But personally me and everyone I know is getting a PS4 due to Microsoft's policy on used games, the kinect, always connected,etc... and I have a 360 now.

As far as backwards compatibility is concerned. It's understandable from a tech point, so I don't knock either console for that.

#4 Posted by Excast (782 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac: Well, it's just the claim that backwards compatibility is bad while also claiming that a soon to be last generation system is your solution for the huge numbers of gamers that are not living in Xbox One supported areas.

So, old is bad unless you happen to be a member of Witcher developer CD Projekt RED for example. Then you can just play 360 next generation. Such horrid messaging.

#5 Edited by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

Backward compatibility is a great consumer incentive. I don't think it should be mandatory in a console and I understand the technical and financial reasons not to do it, but it can be a really great marketing move in a market with lots of cross-platform games.

You know how stores have their own "shopping club" cards they give people so that when you need to buy something you can think "well, there are at least 5 places around I can get this, but I'm going to go to store X because I can use my card". That's what backward compatibility is. When you can't compete on technical specs and you only have a few exclusives that are only targeted toward a narrow set of game consumer interests, it would be smart to try to reel in all of those people with huge libraries of 360 games. If you were the console with the most game sales in the previous gen, you go into the new one with an advantage if you include the feature.

Not having backward compatibility on the XBONE is just another thing that makes it easier for me to think about switching back to Sony. If I can't play all these 360 games I have on either, I might as well go with the more powerful, more consumer-friendly one that seems like it will have some first-party games that interest me more than what MS is offering. Now all those cross platform game purchases coming out in the future are locked in for me for the rest of the generation. Whether or not I would have even used it, backward compatibility may have swayed that decision the other way because I'm probably never going to buy both consoles.

The other problem for Microsoft is the basic concept of this thing is that it's the only thing you will need in your living room for entertainment, except for the cable box you have to plug into it. ...and it isn't a DVR ...and if you want to play 360 games, you still need that plugged in too.

#6 Posted by thomasnash (528 posts) -
#7 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3532 posts) -

@excast said:

@spaceinsomniac: Well, it's just the claim that backwards compatibility is bad while also claiming that a soon to be last generation system is your solution for the huge numbers of gamers that are not living in Xbox One supported areas.

So, old is bad unless you happen to be a member of Witcher developer CD Projekt RED for example. Then you can just play 360 next generation. Such horrid messaging.

That was such a crazy PR type answer to that question. I wonder what the response would have been if the reply to "if you want to stay offline, we have a console for you, it's an Xbox 360" was "So for your customers who want or need to play offline, but still want to play a next generation console, would you then say that those customers should buy a PlayStation 4?"

#8 Posted by Briggs713 (212 posts) -

@oraknabo: My thoughts exactly. It's strange for me to say, but I've been tossing around the thought that Microsoft would've had my money if I could play my huge library of 360 games on it. Doubly so if my arcade licenses were coming over (how feasible either of those may be aside). I like to go back to older games (especially RPGs) and I'm fearful my 360 will die any time now. To say "Hey, come buy this new system and if you want to go back to any of those 50 or so old games you have go for it", would be great. I'd buy a ton of new games anyway, but I'd like to have the option. Between both those Microsoft press conferences, I saw what the One couldn't do and didn't see how it benefited the consumer. That's why Sony has my pre-order.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

It was a stupid quote, but nobody is going to have backwards compatibility this generation, so it really is kind of a non-issue. It would actually be worse if the PS4 DID have backwards compatibility at this point, because that would mean they kept a similar system architecture, and the PS3 was apparently a nightmare to work with.

Actually, the Wii U is Wii backwards compatible.

#10 Posted by AiurFlux (901 posts) -

You know what I find really funny about the Xbone, is at their press conference CD Projekt showed off The Witcher 3. CD Projekt is in Poland. The Xbone doesn't work in Poland and won't work until it's properly released because of the region lock. Then there's the fact that it's also not available in Singapore, a country with a connectivity rate of 104% (there are more internet connections than homes) and an online population percentage of around 99%.

They are fucking retarded. Backwards compatibility is the least of their issues. It's like they spun the wheel of fuck ups and landed on almost every single fuck up just to be safe.

#11 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Everyone tends to care about backwards compatibility until six months after the console comes out. I bought my PS3 after it had already been phased out (luckily there were still plenty of PS2s available back then) and the Xbox library never fully made it over to the 360 either.

XBLA is something I'm a little more worried about, because there's no way to preserve that stuff. Hope you've played Shadow Complex already, because I don't believe for a second that you'll be able to five years from now.

#12 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -

Microsoft just put out a new Xbox 360 model & there are more new 360 games on the way. I don't think they will look at an add-on 360 BC to the Xbone until after the 360 officially shuts down. My guess is that since they're asking $500, it probably cost another $100 to throw in 360 BC into it. They don't want to lose sales on the latest 360 model either because if Xbone came with full BC support, nobody would buy it. With Moore's Law, after another 18 months or so, probably the Xbone can afford 360 BC & they'll add it on due to the overall crap sales of Xbone up to that point. I'm going to sit on the fence & see if happens. Otherwise, I'll just stick to the PC & not be hassled with the hardknox law of Consoles. So far, I get a headache whenever I think about the Xbone, don't care for its appearance either.

#13 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5124 posts) -

And screwing over the consumer is moving forwards. Thanks Obama.

#14 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Microsoft just put out a new Xbox 360 model & there are more new 360 games on the way. I don't think they will look at an add-on 360 BC to the Xbone until after the 360 officially shuts down. My guess is that since they're asking $500, it probably cost another $100 to throw in 360 BC into it. They don't want to lose sales on the latest 360 model either because if Xbone came with full BC support, nobody would buy it. With Moore's Law, after another 18 months or so, probably the Xbone can afford 360 BC & they'll add it on due to the overall crap sales of Xbone up to that point. I'm going to sit on the fence & see if happens. Otherwise, I'll just stick to the PC & not be hassled with the hardknox law of Consoles. So far, I get a headache whenever I think about the Xbone, don't care for its appearance either.

Not entirely true.

1) Backwards compatibility in the PS2 didn't exactly make the PSone (specifically the redesign) redundant, because the lower price point was still appealing to some people.

2) Like the PS3 before them, Microsoft is already at a shitty price point with the Xbone, so anything they can do to lower the price without interfering with their overall vision for the product is a no-brainer.

3) The last/current generation saw backwards compatibility get gradually phased out on all three consoles: Wii redesigns killed the Gamecube support, PS3 quickly dropped PS2 support, and Microsoft quickly got tired of offering emulation patches for the OG Xbox on the 360. Even in cases where backwards compatibility has been worked back in via firmware updates (Xbox Originals, PS2 Classics, and Virtual Console to some extent) it's usually in a very instanced matter that does a poor job of representing the back catalogue.

#15 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -

@lind_l_taylor said:

Not entirely true.

1) Backwards compatibility in the PS2 didn't exactly make the PSone (specifically the redesign) redundant, because the lower price point was still appealing to some people.

2) Like the PS3 before them, Microsoft is already at a shitty price point with the Xbone, so anything they can do to lower the price without interfering with their overall vision for the product is a no-brainer.

3) The last/current generation saw backwards compatibility get gradually phased out on all three consoles: Wii redesigns killed the Gamecube support, PS3 quickly dropped PS2 support, and Microsoft quickly got tired of offering emulation patches for the OG Xbox on the 360. Even in cases where backwards compatibility has been worked back in via firmware updates (Xbox Originals, PS2 Classics, and Virtual Console to some extent) it's usually in a very instanced matter that does a poor job of representing the back catalogue.

There was an interview with an engineer & the guy seemed to be thinking about something with the 360 & Xbone.
Games on the PS2/Original Xbox weren't that good to really want to play many of them. Although I liked Doom 3 &
The Suffering, even though that last game had horrible controls. Further, the 360 library is much larger than Original
Xbox & it seems like too many games to waste. But we'll see. If they're not going to offer a way for me to use my
360 games on the new system, I won't have much incentive to get an Xbone. I prefer my game collection to stretch
back in time. On a PC, this is pretty easy to do & for the most part the only space it takes up is the hard drive or a
a book shelves.

#16 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@lind_l_taylor said:

@evilnights said:

@lind_l_taylor said:

Not entirely true.

There was an interview with an engineer & the guy seemed to be thinking about something with the 360 & Xbone.

Given the overall lack of consistency coming out of Microsoft on this thing, I'll believe that when I see it. As for games on Xbox or PS2 generally not being worth replaying, I'm sure literally millions of people would disagree with you on that.

#17 Posted by TheHT (10796 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

I love it when someone brings up the Wii U in next-gen conversations. Poor little guy.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

@theht said:

@hailinel said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

I love it when someone brings up the Wii U in next-gen conversations. Poor little guy.

I was offering a statement of fact. You're offering a statement of needless douchebaggery. So...congratulations?

#19 Edited by TheHT (10796 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@theht said:

@hailinel said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

I was offering a statement of fact. You're offering a statement of needless douchebaggery. So...congratulations?

Oh you. I was talking about the Wii U. It's sad how that thing came out to little fanfare and then sputtered out of the minds of many. And every so often someone brings it up like you did, and makes me remember that sad story. It's great.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

@theht: Well, I can see you're not worth talking to.

#21 Edited by TheHT (10796 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Bummer. You're such a thrill to talk to.

#22 Edited by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

@theht said:

@hailinel said:

Is there a particular reason you're harassing me in this thread, or are you just bored?

#23 Posted by ThePickle (4152 posts) -

But naming your THIRD console the ONE isn't at all backwards.

#24 Edited by TheHT (10796 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@theht said:

@hailinel said:

Is there a particular reason you're harassing me in this thread, or are you just bored?

No one's harrassing you. I made a comment on the Wii U and you were somehow offended.

You quipped, I quipped, and now you're still talking to me.