• 183 results
#1 Edited by Deadmeat (94 posts) -

So any bad games you just happen to love? I'm currently replaying Alpha Protocol, yah I thought WTF I didn't even pick up Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Gears 3, etc yet... but with all the bugs and flaws the story and setting just hit me where I want. (PLEASE BIOWARE, make a modern RPG with a spy setting!)

So what bad games do you love and hide in secret so other games won't laugh at you?

Note: I mean truly buggy, bad design, etc games... Saying Mass Effect 2, Modern Warefare, Zelda, Battlefield, Uncharted, etc are "bad" games because you don't like them doesn't make sense, big difference.

#2 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

Well since you said Alpha Protocol, I'll go ahead and say I loved that game.

(Don't think it's bad though. It has its flaws, but it was still a good game.)

#3 Edited by GrandMarshal (387 posts) -

X-Blades

Lost Planet 2

50 Cent Blood in The Sand

#4 Posted by HeroMuseum (16 posts) -

Animal Crossing, it's simplistic, the graphics haven't changed much in generations, it's repetitive, it looks like it was made for little kids, but I end up buying every one and putting in ridiculous amounts of time fishing and drinking coffee.

#5 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

The Incredible Crash Test Dummies for original Gameboy.

#6 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Two Worlds had a lot of horrible points.. but if you were willing to look past them, it was a pretty interesting game with a lot of depth.

It was no competition for the Elder Scrolls, but if you're interested in those games, it's worth a look.

@HeroMuseum said:

Animal Crossing, it's simplistic, the graphics haven't changed much in generations, it's repetitive, it looks like it was made for little kids, but I end up buying every one and putting in ridiculous amounts of time fishing and drinking coffee.

Nothing about Animal Crossing is bad!

#7 Posted by Village_Guy (2492 posts) -

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (though I don't like the sequel, Red River)

Rogue Warrior (love is perhaps a too strong word, but I really like that game for it's extreme sillyness.

Jurassic: The Hunted (Three words: WHAT. THE. FOXTROT.)

Darkest of Days (While not a great game, I really liked it.)

#8 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is not a bad game, infact most people with any kind of taste for games will tell you it's amazing.

Deadly Premonition springs to mind for me

#9 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

Bloody Roar, man that game is great fun.

#10 Posted by ADAMWD (564 posts) -

I thought Alpha Protocol was great, people didn't give it a fair chance.

#11 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

That Turok game that came out a few years ago. The shooting in that game was actually very satisfying.

#12 Posted by SpecDotSign (166 posts) -

For some reason many reviewers didn't like my 2010 game of the year, but I love it so much: Nier.

#13 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Deadly Premonition

#14 Posted by lobsticle (18 posts) -

anything SaGa

drakengard/nier series

#15 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (679 posts) -

KOTOR II is my favorite game of all time. 'Nuff said.

#16 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -
@dungbootle said:

Deadly Premonition

Just fired this one up couple days ago.  I'd like to
finish it & perhaps get all its achievements.
#17 Posted by rubberluffy (439 posts) -
@SpecDotSign said:

For some reason many reviewers didn't like my 2010 game of the year, but I love it so much: Nier.

Fuck 'em, Nier is an amazing game.

I guess for me, maybe The Bouncer.  First thing that popped into my head.  Can't think of anything else at the moment.
#18 Posted by plaintomato (598 posts) -

Test Drive Unlimited happens to be in my top 5 favorite games of all time - I wouldn't say it was a AAA title at all, but soooo much fun. I liked TDU2 too, but while they added a lot of features that would have made TDU1 a AAA title, they also really effed up a lot and managed to make it feel inferior to TDU1. Mostly the really effed over the race layout, variety and packaged into a stupid scene, really screwed over the car selection, and just managed to make a big game feel small; I hate Atari for their failure to capitalize on this franchise.

Also, Earth Defense Force 2017. I'd say that's the worst game I happen to love. On second though, maybe Postal 2 takes the cake of worst game with the most love, for me.

#19 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Gameplay wise Deadly Premonition and Alpha Protocol are both pretty bad, so I think I'm fair when I say they are bad games.

Doesn't mean they are bad experiences!

#20 Posted by raptorsrevenge (21 posts) -

Shadows of the Empire for N64. Not a terrible game, but not great either. I have wonderful memories of that game.

#21 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -

HAZE

Yea, I said it.

#22 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

Flower, Sun, and Rain

#23 Posted by SlashDance (1804 posts) -

Tenchu Z.

#24 Edited by BoOzak (881 posts) -

Errm.. Duke Nukem Forever? I think "love" is going abit far but I enjoyed it more than BF3 & MW3 combined, so maby i'm a horrible human being I dunno.. *shrug*

Also Alpha protocol and Nier were not bad games, they just didnt get great reviews. But even the critics gave credit where it was due, they were just dissapointed that a few minor problems prevented them from being as good as they could have been. Honestly I think most games are overated and we should be seing more 6s & 7s. It's rare to see a big budget game get anything below an 8 these days.

Anyway here are a list of games that fell below the 8 margin that i'd recommend:

Risen, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Fear 2,(PC versions if you can <<) Yakuza series(all of them were pretty poorly received in the west) and the Gothic games are alright alternative RPGs, once you iron out the bugs and install a few mods.

#25 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@raptorsrevenge said:

Shadows of the Empire for N64. Not a terrible game, but not great either. I have wonderful memories of that game.

I loved this game. The sewer level used to scare me to death, as did the yeti things.

#26 Posted by AmatureIdiot (1076 posts) -

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

Ditto.

#27 Posted by GTCknight (665 posts) -

Since someone already said KOTOR ll, I'll just go with my first choice for this Advent Rising.

Are happy right now, internet?

#28 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

@BoOzak said:

Errm.. Duke Nukem Forever? I think "love" is going abit far but I enjoyed it more than BF3 & MW3 combined, so maby i'm a horrible human being I dunno.. *shrug*

This. Thank God I'm not alone in this one. I really liked MW3, though. Can't stand BF3.

#29 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@BoOzak said:

This. Thank God I'm not alone in this one. I really liked MW3, though. Can't stand BF3.

I enjoyed DNF myself ( played the PC version) despite what people said. It was a good throwback to how shooters kinda were as how they are now. I dunno gave me that doom/dn3d/quake feel again. Really enjoyed it.

#30 Edited by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

7th Legion. It's an traditional late 90's RTS, but pretty much broken due to it's rather odd pathfinding and really poor controls (the mouse isn't very responsive, and the area of the screen you actually can interact with is smaller than the rendered area, which is just strange and prohibits you from selecting units at the corners of the screen etc. - also, you have to draw the selection boxes from the top left corner, otherwise it doesn't select any units). It's soundtrack by Blair Zuppicich is fucking amazing though, it's also got rather beautiful bright and colorful graphics (except that the perspective seems slightly off on some units), contrasting wonderfully with the post-apocalyptic setting and Warhammer 40K rip-off unit designs, and some for it's time really good looking CGI rendered cutscenes. Oddly enough, it's story is almost exactly the same as in Killzone, even down to the intro movie, which just like Killzone features the speech by the Helghast Chosen leader, complete with the Nazi style imagery (and the exact same circular logo as the Helghast use in Killzone in place of the Swastika). It's an objectively mediocre game, but I just can't help loving it and listening to it's soundtrack despite the control issues making it impossible for me to even play the campaign. Here's the intro video:

And here's some of the amazing music:

#31 Edited by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

@CandiBunni said:

HAZE

Yea, I said it.

I'd agree, some of the missions were fucking terrible, but over all I really liked the tone they were going for. I have no desire to ever play the campaign again, but some aspects of it were fantastic, and the multiplayer mode is pretty decent, with quite a few people still playing.

#32 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

Iron Man. Way more mindless fun then people gave it credit.

#33 Posted by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

Road Rash (PS2)

COD: All of Them (PS3)

SHARKTALE (Gamecube)

Def Jam Vendetta: Fight For New York (Gamecube)

Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe (PS3)

Smackdown VS Raw 2011 feat. ECW (PS3)

Dead or Alive 4 (Xbox 360)

#34 Edited by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Deadly Preminition. Also, no one better say 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. That game can't, by any stretch of imagination, be called a 'bad' game. It's actually more fun and competent than most shooters.

#35 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

@Rudyftw said:

Def Jam Vendetta: Fight For New York (Gamecube)

Must have misread the question; Vendetta and FFNY are great.

#36 Posted by TheKruseMissile (15 posts) -

I liked the first DOA Volleyball game. There, I said it.

#37 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

I'd say Duke Nukem Forever but it wasn't bad, just a bunch of journalists were covering their asses shamelessly.

#38 Posted by Alexandruxx (228 posts) -

God Hand was awesome.

#39 Edited by jonano (363 posts) -

Bugs bunny lost in time PSX ,

Blasto PSX

Rosco McQueen Firefighter Extreme PSX

WCW backstage mayham PSX

Batman Forever PSX

I had a lot of bad PLaystaion 1 games that i loved

#40 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

If I like a game, that means it's not a bad game.

#41 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

KOTOR II just gets shit on because it's the "cool, hardcore gamer" thing to do. I played it before I even really followed games, didn't know Obsidian made it, and I enjoyed the hell out if it. It was not a bad game by any means.

Also, just in general, Obsidian makes awesome games. New Vegas is right behind Oblivion as my favorite RPG, and it was way better than Fallout 3.

#42 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -
@Rudyftw: DOA4 isn't bad! :( *sob*  

if i like a game, i won't really consider it bad. with that said, however.. games i like that would be considered bad would probably be DRIV3R and Earth Defense Force 2017.
#43 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (943 posts) -

Rumble Roses (PS2). Best wrestling game I have played.

#44 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@charlie_victor_bravo said:

Rumble Roses (PS2). Best wrestling game I have played.

Oh man, it was awesome. I liked that way more than i should have. 

Also, i loved Splatterhouse and DNF. I don't think they are BAD games, but the critics hated them, so yeah, i'm going with these.
#45 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -
#46 Posted by falserelic (5324 posts) -

silent hill: homecoming.

#47 Posted by dabe (299 posts) -

@FireBurger: I thoroughly enjoy the first 30/40 hours of KoTOR II. The contrasting exploration of what the force & it's civil implications are is superb and something Bioware (or any other SW based product until then) didn't touch.

However, it's not only cool but correct to dislike or criticize the shit-fest ending of that game. When producers force the hand of a developer, that's what happens...

Anyways, as for the topic, I like many cult/under-the-radar/disliked games. Rise of The Argonauts was secretly great, in a similar way to Jade Empire or other Bioware style, dialogue heavy WRPG's.

#48 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

While not exactly bad, a lot of people hate Twilight Princess and it is my favorite game of all time, so there's that.

Also, Star Fox Assault is the best in the series, fuck you if you think otherwise.

#49 Posted by Dain22 (312 posts) -
#50 Posted by SamSharp505 (210 posts) -

MW2, MW3...