#1 Posted by bassman2112 (991 posts) -

Hey guys, I just saw the news Here

This is really sad news for anime fans, but I can't help but wonder what this means for Namco Bandai.

#2 Posted by TheHT (12352 posts) -

Sounds like Bandai Japan ran them into the ground with stupid decisions.

#3 Edited by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -

I had no idea that companies had to pay to have their cartoons/anime on Toonami.

#4 Edited by PenguinDust (12792 posts) -

Yeah, these things happen especially when Gundam can't compete in North America with Naruto and Bleach. But, Japan is still makin' Gundam anime (MSG: Age is ongoing) and games for Vita and other platforms. From what I read on Siliconica, Namco Bandai manga and anime will just be third-partied for release outside of Japan.

@BraveToaster: Bandai Entertainment paid CN to air Code Geass. Airing on cable TV is a form of advertisement for DVD purchases. At least, that's the idea.

#5 Posted by ZombiePie (6196 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

I had no idea that companies had to pay to have their cartoons/anime on Toonami.

This is also part of the reason why Toonami went under. I saw an interview by some blogspot or something like that of one of the former Presidents of Cartoon Network on why Toonami went under. The lack of anime studio interest and the growing popularity of Adult Swim were the major reasons and not the switch to weekends only like most fans tend to claim.

#6 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2139 posts) -

Anime, just like all other forms of media will eventually go all digital. It just costs too much money to put things on DVDs/Blu-rays.

#7 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

Hopefully it doesn't effect Namco Bandai games.

#8 Posted by ryett (15 posts) -

Its a shame but inevitable with Bandai's pricing model. They wanted to charge nearly Japan prices in an American economy for singles w/o any of the physical extras and guess what, it didn't pan out. RIP and I forever thank them for my copies of Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann, Haruhi, and Lucky Star.

#9 Posted by SpaceRunaway (891 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that this doesn't affect Bandai Visual, the Japanese side of things, at all.  I'm sure NB is also fine.

#10 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6652 posts) -

Yes, an entire company has gone under but don't worry guys, the video games are okay.

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -

This is bad news for all three of the people patiently waiting for a North American release of Turn A Gundam since it was announced a million years ago.

lol
#12 Posted by Animasta (14820 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Yes, an entire company has gone under but don't worry guys, the video games are okay.

to be fair, there was only 5 people working there (and 2 of them are still there)

not to say it doesn't suck for all the contractors they had, but still.

#13 Posted by WhyBeAre (74 posts) -

It's too bad considering how much I use to love Bandai things, but I haven't bought anything from them in ages because i lost interest.

#14 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6116 posts) -

Anime is....meh, to put it politely. Sill, sucks it all went down in flames.

#15 Posted by Jay444111 (2640 posts) -

Wait... the company the published gurren lagann is going under??? WE MUST SAVE GURREN LAGANN AT ALL FUCKING COSTS!!!!

@Bassman2112: GIVE YOUR BLOOD TO GURREN LAGANN!!! We must appease it so we may be able to keep it forever!

Yeah... I am a fan of Gurren Lagann... and no, I don't want to give your blood to gurren lagann... unless you are offering it.

#16 Posted by Animasta (14820 posts) -

@wordfalling said:

It is a bummer when any developer/publisher goes under but the reality is that vidya games are a business like any other.

(anime publisher not video game publisher)

#17 Posted by Example1013 (4855 posts) -

@InfiniteGeass said:

Anime, just like all other forms of media will eventually go all digital. It just costs too much money to put things on DVDs/Blu-rays.

Cost has nothing to do with it, it's a matter of profit, same as the music industry. The reason these companies love blu-ray, DVD, and CD sales so much is because all of that shit is dirt cheap to manufacture (a CD costs like 10 cents to make), meaning the sales are almost pure profit. And because no one actually knows how much that shit costs (and how badly they're getting ripped off), they can charge ridiculous amounts of extra money and get it. For years and years the industries have based their business models around this. The reason they're going under now? People aren't going to pay $40 for a season when they can download or stream it for free, and that shit don't bring in the required money to meet expectations.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai has been staying afloat just on Dragon Ball Z sales for a decade now, at least internationally.

#18 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2139 posts) -

@Example1013: Bandai doesn't distribute DBZ.

#19 Posted by Example1013 (4855 posts) -

@InfiniteGeass: Don't they make all the Budokai games?

#20 Posted by BabyChooChoo (5264 posts) -

Well that sucks. I feel sorry for everyone at BE since it sounds like their parent company essentially fucked them over for years.

That said, fuck Haruhi Suzumiya. I hate that show with a passion and had almost forgotten about it until the article brought it up again. My little outburst has nothing to do with anything, but it's the only way I'll be able to sleep tonight.

#21 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2139 posts) -

@Example1013: Maybe, but they definitely don't do the anime which Bandai Entertainment would have done.

#22 Posted by Branthog (5717 posts) -
@BraveToaster said:

Most cartoons are actually advertisements. They're even listed on the programming matrix as an advertisement (internally). When you ere watching GI JOE, Transformers, He-Man and so on - you were actually watching a half hour block of commercial programming.
#23 Posted by oasis789 (122 posts) -

what, couldn't sell enough gundam figures?

#24 Posted by EVO (4028 posts) -

@InfiniteGeass said:

While I agree with you that everything will eventually be available digitally, I disagree that it costs too much otherwise. For decades we've been buying physical media and their respective industries have been doing just fine.