BATTLE: Which Game has the Better Story?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LiquidPrince

Been having a little "debate" with another member of these forums. I was wondering if you guys could help me move it towards settlement. I say move it towards, because even if I turn out right, I know these forums are merely a small sampling of the worlds opinion. However, I digress, which game has the better story:

METAL GEAR SOLID

or

HALF LIFE

Thanks.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

It was Half Life more so than Bioshock that that thread was referring to , so......this makes a ton of sense.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince
pause422 said:
"It was Half Life more so than Bioshock that that thread was referring to , so......this makes a ton of sense."
Okay, I'll edit it... geez, make up your mind...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

Well, Bioshock is one game - Metal Gear Solid is a franchise.  You can't really compare the two, because the story of the Metal Gear games is serious fan service that practically requires playing the previous games or at least doing some out of game research to get it.  Bioshock is a standalone story, and a good one at that.

I vote Bioshock.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
MB said:
"Well, Bioshock is one game - Metal Gear Solid is a franchise.  You can't really compare the two, because the story of the Metal Gear games is serious fan service that practically requires playing the previous games or at least doing some out of game research to get it.  Bioshock is a standalone story, and a good one at that.

I vote Bioshock."

Pole has changed. Please re-submit vote.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By mike

No dude, I'm not resubmitting my vote...WTF?  It was Bioshock VS MGS. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince
MB said:
"No dude, I'm not resubmitting my vote...WTF?  It was Bioshock VS MGS. "

Yes, the debate was with pause, and he is insisting that the original topic was Half Life VS MGS... Why would it be so hard to vote again...

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

lol MB. I vote Bioshock/Half Life, don't really care what it ends up being, just leave it Bioshock.

The first comment someone said was Half Life and Bioshock in the same sentence, but since its 1v1 in this topic whatever , leave it Bioshock then.I really don't care which it is honestly.

Kindrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Kindrik

I'm going to put it out there that I haven't played either series a whole lot, but I have read up on their stories and I vote Half Life.
Metal Gear's story is just too convoluted and ridiculous that it sounds like fan fiction to me at certain points, which is a shame because by just changing a few small things it would be great.

Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Unreal_dro

Half life / Bioshock over the Garbage random drible kojima calls a story ANY day of the week.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You see, "better" is a hard word to try and quantify.  You can compare the stories in a vacuum, wikipedia-like; you can debate which of the two stories are more compellingly told, which is more a discussion about narrative styles than the narratives themselves; you can attempt to reconcile the two into a single amorphous mass. 

I think Metal Gear Solid has the most original story, no matter which of the two shooters you juxtapose it against.  Half-Life, essentially, is another tale about a dude with guns running around, battling an undefined alien force; Bioshock is an Ayn Rand-bathed, retro-infused regurgitation of the System Shock games. 

That said, the magic behind the Half-Life story is the way in which it's told.  The same goes for Bioshock, really.  Kojima has a problem with telling his stories.  And that contrivement of the storytelling seriously influences the narrative-oriented experience.

Final Verdict: Half-Life/Bioshock 

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By atejas

The argument started over which one has better storytelling.
MGS has the better story, Halflife has the better presentation(first person, immersion, whatnot).
Also, pointless thread much?

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Drebin_893

Metal Gear. Purely because I can see this thread is not working out quite as Liquid Prince expected it to.

Also I prefer it, but all of the games mentioned have remarkable storytelling.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By KamasamaK
MB said:
"Well, Bioshock is one game - Metal Gear Solid is a franchise.  You can't really compare the two, because the story of the Metal Gear games is serious fan service that practically requires playing the previous games or at least doing some out of game research to get it.  Bioshock is a standalone story, and a good one at that.

I vote Bioshock."
I don't see how having to practically play the games factors into this at all. Knowing the story is part of judging its quality. You admit we're talking about the franchise here, and yet that argument only works when talking about any particular game in the series.

atejas
said:
"The argument started over which one has better storytelling.
MGS has the better story, Halflife has the better presentation(first person, immersion, whatnot).
Also, pointless thread much?
"
If this is the case then I'm not sure which to pick. If it were still BioShock then I'd probably lean toward it for better storytelling. MGS has a better story, though, in my opinion.
PremierOctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PremierOctopus

Seems kind of silly. I have loved all of the Metal Gear games for their story, but it was more than that. It's the way it's shot and presented in a way that makes it into that "experience" which you either love or hate. Call me uncultured or whatever (if videogames can be considered that wide a medium yet) but the Half Life series seems devoid of that personality - friendly of otherwise - that makes a game accessible and appealing. That staple of a vague playable characters is the best way to present an interactive medium as it allows the player to fill that void but i think that Valve managed to take that and make Gordon Freeman into a faceless ambassador for the game. Minus the face.

The Episodes stepped in more of the right direction with better, faster pacing and and more focus and time with the characters of the universe.
ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By ZimpanX

I found the story in both franchises to be really interesting but these two uses very different ways of telling the story so it's really hard to compare. But if think the MGS story is more epic though.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

The MGS storyline just has too much bullshit running in the background to make it better than Half Life for me. Oh yeah, and I'm a huge HL fanboy. :D