#1 Edited by shinjin977 (759 posts) -
#2 Posted by Angre_Leperkan439 (333 posts) -

I got really excited cuz I thought there was a real life samurai school...

Already started preparing application info :c

#3 Edited by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

Let's be clear, here: The full title is Be A Man! Samurai School: Japan, This Is What’s Called Being A Man!.

Because of course it is. Now, I'm going to go hide in my bunker before the "Sexism?" threads start.

#4 Posted by Veektarius (4829 posts) -

This looks like it's basically a goofy ripoff of their Fist of the North Star games. If so, that's a waste of a good title.

#5 Edited by joshwent (2207 posts) -

@shagge: Hey man, women can be men too!

what?

#6 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#7 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

@video_game_king: I didn't translate myself (the extent of my Japanese language knowledge begins and ends with an hour of fucking around in Rosetta Stone, also "kawaii"). Just what I see err'body calling it.

#8 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@shagge said:

also "kawaii"

You forgot the desu. HOW COULD YOU FORGET THE DESU!?

#9 Posted by Pepsiman (2475 posts) -

I know nothing about this game, but for the record, it's a licensed title based off of a very iconic manga from the mid-80s to early 90s, the Japanese for which reads "Sakigake!! Otokojuku". I haven't gotten around to reading much of it myself, but the basic premise of the manga is that it takes places in a boys' school that's still run as though the Japanese empire is alive and well. It's essentially very biting satire of right-wing Japanese nationalism. The art and tone is not unlike Cromartie High School, which I imagine people outside of Japan are much more familiar with, as it pays plenty of homages to this original series.

Will probably edit this post after I watch the trailer, but unless I'm mistaken, this is the first time in quite a while that at least the original series has really been touched, having been over for about 20 years at this point. Curious what the rationale is for bringing it back at this point.

#10 Posted by Nasar7 (2677 posts) -

I got really excited cuz I thought there was a real life samurai school...

Already started preparing application info :c

Me too, so disappointed =/

#11 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

@shagge said:

also "kawaii"

You forgot the desu. HOW COULD YOU FORGET THE DESU!?

OH GOD, I'VE FAILED! I'll play ten JRPGs in repentance!

Especially embarrassing since I used to frequent 4chan. (and no, not /b/... I was never *that* bad)

#12 Posted by Pepsiman (2475 posts) -

Eh, you know what, this thread is moving fast enough now that I'll just throw in a new post now that I've watched it. This is looking to be more or less what I expected a game based on this series to be. Lots of men being manly men to humorous extremes and lots of overtly nationalistic sounding Japanese meant to lampoon anyone who speaks like it. I'd forgotten until I looked it up on Wikipedia, but the series is essentially about training these guys to take part in the Japanese equivalents of pep squads, which they show a little bit of towards the end before the start talking about special edition bundles. If you've ever played the Ouendan games and not Elite Beat Agents specifically, that's exactly what these guys are "learning" how to be, albeit to an extreme extent.

I remain curious about this game, but knowing how badly Namco just flubbed that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure game with F2P features and general balance issues, I'm super cautious about how this is all going to pan out. This game looks like another CyberConnect2 joint written all over it, but the official site conveniently doesn't seem to mention any actual developer. I'll be keeping an eye on it out of curiosity, at the very least.

#13 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

@pepsiman said:

Eh, you know what, this thread is moving fast enough now that I'll just throw in a new post now that I've watched it. This is looking to be more or less what I expected a game based on this series to be. Lots of men being manly men to humorous extremes and lots of overtly nationalistic sounding Japanese meant to lampoon anyone who speaks like it. I'd forgotten until I looked it up on Wikipedia, but the series is essentially about training these guys to take part in the Japanese equivalents of pep squads, which they show a little bit of towards the end before the start talking about special edition bundles. If you've ever played the Ouendan games and not Elite Beat Agents specifically, that's exactly what these guys are "learning" how to be, albeit to an extreme extent.

I remain curious about this game, but knowing how badly Namco just flubbed that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure game with F2P features and general balance issues, I'm super cautious about how this is all going to pan out. This game looks like another CyberConnect2 joint written all over it, but the official site conveniently doesn't seem to mention any actual developer. I'll be keeping an eye on it out of curiosity, at the very least.

You aren't getting a Mosou vibe off this? That's what I'm assuming this is (and like others said, this would be following the lead of the Fist of the North Star games).

Thanks for the info though, the setting sounds like an interesting one for a game.

#14 Posted by Pepsiman (2475 posts) -

@artisanbreads: Take my impressions with a huge grain of salt; I've only read like three pages of the source material, mostly because it's the sort of satire you need to be in the right state of mind to really appreciate. My impression was that it just might be a more loose-playing fighter like that recent Jojo's game, but from the camera angles for some of the gameplay, I could see why some people might think it'll turn out to be a proper musou game. I have no idea if the source material lends itself to that, but if it does, then Namco being the sort of company it is with licensed games, I wouldn't be surprised if it is. It's hard to say one way or another since the official site seems to offer no real useful info at the moment from what I saw at a glance, so ultimately your guess is as good as mine.