• 51 results
#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (651 posts) -

I'm not really big on JRPGs. The only one that I really ever enjoyed was Parasite Eve. I'm also not really big on the Persona series. Well I was until the Endurance run changed my life. Now I'm super stoked to play Persona 4 The Golden. So I'm wondering if any podcast or video convinced you to play a game you normally wouldn't have and what was it?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

Not that I know of. *waits to be proven wrong*

#3 Posted by SexyToad (2739 posts) -

I havent been convinced to play a game yet... YET!

#4 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

nope

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

I havent been convinced to play a game yet... YET!

Read my blogs.

#6 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I like all of the games.

#7 Posted by Colt45 (52 posts) -

@AcidBrandon18: You've already said it, mate. I didn't give the Persona series a second thought until I watched GB's Endurance Run. It's certainly taught me to be more open-minded about genres and series that I would otherwise have no interest in. Actually, that's a good life lesson in general: Be more open-minded.

#8 Posted by pyromagnestir (3947 posts) -

Sure. Quick looks and podcasts got me to try a number of games that I wouldn't have otherwise. Saints Row the Third, for one. Persona was another. There are many, many more.

#9 Posted by AngelN7 (2959 posts) -

Ehh I will never play visual novels that's where I draw the line , everything else I can give it a try.

#10 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

dark souls. all anybody talked about last year was dark souls. it didnt look that great but i figured why not.

total awesome sauce.

#11 Posted by joshth (489 posts) -

I never would have bought Saints Row the Third if not for the bombcast

#12 Posted by Grilledcheez (3919 posts) -

YES...I have played a good number of games that I would normally skip over thanks to these guys (both ones I enjoyed and ones I didn't). Now, I strictly play games that I'm really enthusiastic about.

#13 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

Ehh I will never play visual novels that's where I draw the line , everything else I can give it a try.

You just reminded me that I do not, in fact, like all of the games.

#14 Posted by NegativeCero (2925 posts) -

I just bought Shadows of the Damned based on it being mentioned how crazy that game was. So, yeah.

#15 Posted by AngelN7 (2959 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@AngelN7 said:

what about facebook/flash games?

#16 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@TentPole said:

@AngelN7 said:

Don't be silly, those aren't videogames.

#17 Posted by stryker1121 (1234 posts) -

@DoctorDanger99 said:

dark souls. all anybody talked about last year was dark souls. it didnt look that great but i figured why not.

total awesome sauce.

I still need convincing the Dark Souls isn't some overwhelming, purposefully obstinate quagmire of ragequit that's going to make me regret picking it up.

#18 Posted by Zekhariah (694 posts) -

There was a Roleplayer's Realm podcast (Kat Bailey - Gamepro at the time) on JRPGs that convinced me to give them a shot.

Not gotten to far into it yet, but so far they seem promising. So much video O.o.

#19 Posted by believer258 (11039 posts) -

The Quick Look for Red Dead Redemption got me to buy and play Red Dead Redemption.

The Zero Punctuation review of Just Cause 2 got me to buy it. Only time that bloke has ever gotten me to buy something, since I generally disagree with him, but I can hardly say that I was disappointed with my purchase.

#20 Edited by AngelN7 (2959 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@AngelN7 said:

@TentPole said:

@AngelN7 said:

Don't be silly, those aren't videogames.

Come on! you said all of the games from solitaire to pachinko sims.

EDIT : crap! I just notice that you said "I do not" that leaves me to believe there isn't someone out there who likes all videogames.

#21 Posted by NTM (7032 posts) -

No.

#22 Posted by Soapy86 (2597 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

@DoctorDanger99 said:

total awesome sauce.

I still need convincing the Dark Souls isn't some overwhelming, purposefully obstinate quagmire of ragequit that's going to make me regret picking it up.

Challenge accepted.

The ugly secret of Dark Souls is that Dark Souls isn't that hard. It's challenging, but it's challenging in such a way that nearly anybody can pick up a controller and be good at it. It doesn't require lightning fast reflexes, or extreme precision, or memorizing a bunch of combos or whatever. The game is only hard if you get greedy or impatient. Otherwise, if you play the game by its own rules, you'll be fine.

#23 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

I was completely indifferent about GTA III when my cousin brought it over and convinced me to play it. I have to say he made me look like quite the fool.

#24 Posted by Enns (353 posts) -

@Zekhariah said:

There was a Roleplayer's Realm podcast (Kat Bailey - Gamepro at the time) on JRPGs that convinced me to give them a shot.

Not gotten to far into it yet, but so far they seem promising. So much video O.o.

Man, she convinced me to buy Solatorobo. I hated that game so much. I threw it box and all over my backyard fence. Quick looks have sold me on plenty games, and I would have never touched a Saints Row game if it wasn't for Jeff.

#25 Posted by stryker1121 (1234 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

@stryker1121 said:

@DoctorDanger99 said:

total awesome sauce.

Challenge accepted.

The ugly secret of Dark Souls is that Dark Souls isn't that hard. It's challenging, but it's challenging in such a way that nearly anybody can pick up a controller and be good at it. It doesn't require lightning fast reflexes, or extreme precision, or memorizing a bunch of combos or whatever. The game is only hard if you get greedy or impatient. Otherwise, if you play the game by its own rules, you'll be fine.

Two questions, then: How fun/challenging is it to play offline, w/o people coming into your game to help you beat tougher bosses? (I'm not on xbox live at the moment)

-What's the best place to learn about some of the game's basic systems, i.e. hollow vs. human and what attributes do? IGN has a wiki, but a point in the right direction would be appreciated, if there's a better place to study up a bit. Not looking for cheats, just basic gameplay stuff. Thanks much!

#26 Posted by probablytuna (3442 posts) -

I'm always up for playing games I normally wouldn't have if they're interesting. Like for example I've never really been a fan of mindless action of blowing shit up that most people seem to enjoy from the older GTA games/most open world games but after hearing what the crew was saying how great Saints Row The Third, I knew I had to try it out and man was it fun, though I have to say 80% of the fun was because I had a co-op buddy to play against and the hilarious antics that followed were simply amazing.

#27 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

yea my friend got me into rpg's. i think i only played shooters before that

#28 Posted by TheHT (10266 posts) -

Giant Bomb convinced me to buy Civ V day one (to be fair, it was less convincing and more Ryan's enthusiasm rubbing off on me). Unfortunately I wasn't convinced enough to play it until a year later I thought "fuck, I haven't played this game yet and it's like half-price on Steam". So I played it and yep, Ryan was right. It's awesome.

Other games that I was gonna get eventually but got early on because of Giant Bomb: SF4, MK9, StarCraft 2, Diablo 3, Dead Island.

#29 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

I'll never ever play JRPGs. Sorry. *walks out*

#30 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

The Endurance Run convinced me to play Persona 4. That's about the only thing I can think of.

#31 Posted by urban_ryoga (83 posts) -

I had to be convinced to play The Orange Box. I am not a fan of FPS. I felt like as a kid it came from me trying to differentiate from my older brother. He was a Nintendo guy and I was a Sega guy (I feel like the death of Sega consoles was his fault). He played FPS games on PC. I played adventure games. So I skipped out on Doom, Wolfenstein, and pretty much the history of the genre. I was nagged by a friend for a year after The Orange Box to come out to try it, so I gave it a go. Team Fortress 2 wasn't quite my thing, but I grew to enjoy every other ounce of the game, especially Portal.

After jumping head first, I was convinced to play Prey and COD4 by the same friend... With a 33% success-rate, I've stopped listening to him.

#32 Posted by EliteCreations (28 posts) -

Demon's Souls. Before buying it, all I ever played was easy freaking RPGs or FPS games... and Demon's souls turned me into a man... oh wait.

I have still yet to finish it. ):

#33 Posted by aquamarin (553 posts) -

I will never be convinced to play a game in a genre that I don't enjoy. If the only reason that I'm not playing a game is I'm too cheap, I'll be pushed over the edge if hear from multiple sources it's a good ass game.

#34 Posted by codynewill (165 posts) -

Where to begin?

Dark Souls got blasted by Jeff and Ryan so much on the Bombcast that I had to see what the hubbub was about. I didn't have an Xbox 360 when Hitman Blood Money came out, so I never even considered playing it. Then Rebel FM had a game club for it, and Patrick just played it and talked about it on the show. Viva Piñata looked too much like a children's title when I first saw it, but Brad's plea at the end of this convinced me for sure.

I'm sure I'm missing some others too. I take podcasts, reviews, and videos from this site pretty seriously when considering what games to buy. Especially since I've pretty much exhausted almost all the big titles that have come out for the 360. I'm exploring the deep cuts and more peculiar titles that get mentioned around the site.

#35 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

@joshth said:

#36 Posted by bjacks27 (9 posts) -

Holy cow I have a ton of examples of this . .SRTT, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, and Dead Island all come to mind immediately.....I used to hate fantasy games but all the accolades for the souls games really kind of guilted me into buying them . .To me those games aren't really fantasy games as much as they are strategy games. I would have NEVER purchased Saints Row had Giantbomb not lot their shit over it. It's one of my favorite games of all time

#37 Posted by PandaBear (1264 posts) -

@joshth said:

Me too ... except I ended up not liking it at all. Still, you have to try new things.

#38 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Plenty of games. Games like Okami and Persona 4 both around their release dates due to my friends talking about them and now they're two of my favorite games.

#39 Edited by GaspoweR (2509 posts) -
#40 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1868 posts) -

I ended up getting convinced to try a lot of awesome games from Giant Bomb and that ultimately led to me becoming a member and even subscribing. But games I normally wouldn't have played?

Well - surprisingly - I ended up warming up to a lot of the Dave quick looks. I now am a proud owner of practically ALL the recent Mount & Blade games as well as Crusader Kings 2. Never would have had Mount & Blade in my radar or ever considered picking up a "grand strategy" otherwise. (I actually love games in the Total War series, except they actually let you play out battles on the tactical level beyond the grand campaign map).

Oh and Drew really got me into flight sims, although I was once a lover of arcade-y Ace Combat.

Finally, I never thought I'd do it but last year I ended up trying my first actual visual novel and didn't think it was too bad at all!

#41 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

I was convinced to give Dark Souls a try, though because of friends, not some video or podcast.

Not surprisingly, I didn't like it at all.

#42 Edited by biggiedubs (493 posts) -

I managed to play about an hour of Katawa Shoujo. You know, that visual novel game that was various girls who were disadvantaged in some way. The one that was supposed to be good.

It's not that I am inherently against visual novels, but if you're just going to give me a whole bunch of boring dialogue that painstakingly spell out just which sterotype this girl comes under, then I'm not going to carry on playing. I just can't. Maybe there's a good one somewhere (besides that pigeon one) that is about decent, well rounded characters and that forces you to actually put in some actual effort into building relationships with them, as well as not having painful and slow dialogue. It's just that it wasn't Katawa Shoujo and I haven't found it yet.

#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

@GaspoweR:

Except I don't remember somebody actively convincing me to play those things.

#44 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

@joshth said:

pretty much yeah :D

#45 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -

Rented Asuras Wrath and found it interesting, and bought SRt3rd and was kinda disappointed, both down to the bombcast.

Also bought and enjoyed Skyrim due to the universal praise. Wasn't sure since I hated Oblivion, but it managed to get me playing for over 100 hours XD

#46 Posted by GaspoweR (2509 posts) -

@video_game_king: if someone actually did ask you to play and finish one of those games in exchange for money, would you do it?

#47 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

I dunno, VGK has provided a strong reason to play that Mary Kate & Ashley game.

#48 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

"convinced" me to play the original Ys for the NES thinking it would be a horrible experience but I actually enjoyed it.....and its what got me hooked on the series.

#49 Posted by Soapy86 (2597 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

@Soapy86 said:

@stryker1121 said:

@DoctorDanger99 said:

total awesome sauce.

Challenge accepted.

Two questions, then: How fun/challenging is it to play offline, w/o people coming into your game to help you beat tougher bosses? (I'm not on xbox live at the moment)

-What's the best place to learn about some of the game's basic systems, i.e. hollow vs. human and what attributes do? IGN has a wiki, but a point in the right direction would be appreciated, if there's a better place to study up a bit. Not looking for cheats, just basic gameplay stuff. Thanks much!

First question: It's still fun, but I think the online aspect is critical to understanding Dark Souls and getting the most out of it. You really shouldn't worry too much about about getting invaded for two reasons. The first is that you can only be invaded in human form, and since you're a newbie you'll probably spend a lot of time dead. The second is that getting invaded is a hell of a lot of fun. Probably the most intense multiplayer I've ever played.

Second question: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/ is where I get my info from. There's a second wiki that's just as good though.

#50 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Mount and Blade, and Maybe ArmA, although that last one's a weird case, as it was mostly my pursuit of enlisting in the Marine Corps that led me to that, and less someone convincing me to play it.

The only game that really fits this is the original Half Life, really. And that pretty much is how I became the gamer I am today.