#1 Posted by SomberOwl (650 posts) -

It has probably been asked before, but what are some of your favorite features of GB after becoming a premium member?.

Such as:

• What premium shows do you like best and would recommend?
  • Are the other benefits worth it? like no ads?
  • Do you find yourself coming to the site more?

Essentially I want to be convinced to become a premium member. I'm cheap as hell and just am unsure.

• Does anyone regret becoming a member? If so why?

#2 Edited by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

I don't mind paying $5/month or $50/annually or the discounted yearly deal for Giantbomb.

Anyways I really enjoy being able to watch the premium videos when I miss them live which is almost every time. If you become a premium member now there is a huge backlog of premium videos to watch which is every TNT since its inception and the Whiskey Media Happy Hour :( which was always great to watch when Whiskey Media was together.

The thing that keeps me coming back are the personalities of this site and the things they do. I mean, I got the premium membership in support of the crew.

#3 Posted by Gamer_152 (14070 posts) -

My favourite show is still Jeff's Jar Time. I love Jeff, and the whole laid back environment where he can still discuss things in-depth and communicate with the community really appeals to me. I think the other benefits are worth it to, although I do have a particular disdain for ads, while still wanting to contribute to the site. I don't think I've visited the site any more since becoming a premium member, but I've always spent quite a lot of time here anyway.

#4 Posted by Subbeh (90 posts) -

Personally I think it's worth it just for the flight club stuff alone given how little it costs per month. Regardless of the premium stuff (which I do think is worth the price) I'm happy to contribute

on the basis that GB have provided hours of entertainment every week for the last few years and they've more than earned my sub.

#5 Posted by DriveupLife (913 posts) -

The Random PC Game Phantasmagoria series was easily worth a fifty dollar bill last year. Premium content is awesome, and well worth the money.

#6 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2239 posts) -

@somberowl said:

It has probably been asked before, but what are some of your favorite features of GB after becoming a premium member?.

Such as:

Essentially I want to be convinced to become a premium member. I'm cheap as hell and just am unsure.

Unprofessional Fridays have been pretty good so far and Jeff's Jar Time is great.

No ads don't really matter to much if you have an adblocker

I already came to the site daily anyway.

Benefits aside, the Giantbomb crew do a lot of work and constantly give almost a dozen hours of original entertainment on a weekly basis with 2-3 hour long podcasts and three livestreams a week. I'm more than willing to give them a few bucks a month in order to let them do what they do best.

#7 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7076 posts) -

Unprofessional Fridays alone is well worth the ~4 dollars a month, I think. And now they're doing 3 live streams a week at least (which is awesome and insane), 3 days in a row. I'm happy to give them some money to help make that possible.

#8 Posted by Nux (2330 posts) -

The amount of live streams alone are well worth it.

#9 Posted by Nictel (2403 posts) -

Such as:

• All of them, there isn't one i do not like. I especially like unprofessional Fridays when they do whatever they feel like. Jar Time, is that premium? Because those are great!
  • I already have no ads (adblocker) but you get this shiny gold or silver medal! but I once visited GB on a computer without that and without being logged in and just say I was really glad I could login to get rid of them.
  • Well yes, because I can watch the premium content -> more content == more visits to the site which in turn means I frequent the forums more and visit even more..
  • I totally do not regret it, at first it felt 'silly' paying for a website but the costs are about 1 new game. In return I get loads of content, probably on average 6 hours per week which would amount to more than 300 hours a year! Totally worth it.

Subscribing to Giant Bomb is the best game-related thing I did since getting this 'Steam' service. How is that for a recommendation?!

#10 Edited by Nardak (472 posts) -

Jeffs Jar Time and the quicklooks by Drew, Vinny and Dave are usually for me enough to pay the premium subscription price.

#11 Edited by paulwade1984 (477 posts) -

I think I support the site enough with my clicks. I support them by providing an addition to the number they can pitch to ad providers in order to put adverts on the site and generate far more revenue than the premium memberships provide.

Giantbomb rewards me by locking away content behind an archaic pay wall. They may as well make annual DVD compilations as well.

#12 Posted by SomberOwl (650 posts) -

Just out of curiosity, anyone subscribed to any other websites premium service? Like IGN, GameSpot, or even websites that are not directly gaming related like RoosterTeeth.

#13 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

@somberowl said:

Jar Time, Unprofessional Friday's and Flight Club. Jeff is insightful (and in a no-frills, down to earth kind of way which is refreshing), and the other two are great entertainment, period. They're not just funny and enjoyable from the perspective of a video game web show, but in general.

Well, I get a sweet medal under my name. That's worth its weight in internet gold, at least. On a more serious note, I find the rest of the features to be nice but not critical; I'll admit I had an ad-blocker installed before they offered premium memberships, and the one major benefit (HD content) is now free for everyone thanks to YouTube. The fringe stuff was never what sold me on signing up, though. Hell, I considered every feature a bonus and was more than happy to funnel cash into site to keep it afloat, back in the Whiskey days.

No. My schedule allots a certain time for GB (which, in all honesty, is probably too much), and I've always used up that full time, even before premium memberships existed. I'll put it this way; it lets me spend that time more flexibly; I know that, as a premium member, everything is site-archived and as such I feel that I can enjoy their hi-jinks at a more relaxed pace.

Honestly, you might be cheap but I can bet you've spent $50 on something worse. Here's my tip; sign up for a monthly membership. You get access to the whole back catalog, and if you don't like what you find, cancel it before the month is out and you're only $5 down.

#14 Posted by btsjigs (27 posts) -

I signed up for a month just to watch some of the older videos I was interested in.. now I don't see myself giving it up. Love unprofessional Fridays & the Jar show. Like others have said, the amount of entertainment these guys give me is easily worth $5 a month.

#15 Posted by pyromagnestir (4291 posts) -

Breaking Brads (now under the guise of Bradley May Cry), the Lantern Run, Random PC games, flight clubs, and the random stuff like the SNES marathons are all the benefits I need to justify my premium membership. Some of the best/funniest gb content happen in those premium shows. Unprofessional Friday is good too, but I miss the more focused shows.

I also make use of the ability to download content since my internet can't stream at hd quality with the site's video player.

I started yakking it up a bit more in the forums after I became a premium member. Whether that is incidental or causal I do not know for sure, but I think it's causal.

#16 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1582 posts) -

@mirado:

All HD has been free for a while now, not just youtube. It was really one of the more insulting things to be held behind a pay wall in the first place considering every other site in existence has HD video for free, so it was a smart move to get rid of that when they did.

As for the OP, I am also considering a sub, and the main reasons for me are how great Unprofessional Fridays seemed the few times they made it open to all and also the huge amount of backlog subscriber videos I'd get to watch like Random PC games, Breaking Brad, Jar Time, and all the non twitch archived live streams.

#17 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: Whether or not it was insulting is irrelevant; it was billed as a premium feature, listed as a reason to become a premium member, and when it became free people (rightfully) complained that they had one less reason to stay signed up. It didn't matter to me as I was willing to pay in for practically no benefit beyond the site's continued existence, but I think you can understand why people were up in arms for a while.

If HD was your main draw to paying in, you had once less reason to do so. Plain and simple.

#18 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1582 posts) -

@mirado said:

@ll_exile_ll: Whether or not it was insulting is irrelevant; it was billed as a premium feature, listed as a reason to become a premium member, and when it became free people (rightfully) complained that they had one less reason to stay signed up. It didn't matter to me as I was willing to pay in for practically no benefit beyond the site's continued existence, but I think you can understand why people were up in arms for a while.

If HD was your main draw to paying in, you had once less reason to do so. Plain and simple.

That whole argument just seemed really ridiculous to me. The reason to become a premium member is the exclusive content, complaining that everyone was given access to a feature that most sites offer for free anyway just comes off extremely petty. If there were really people only subscribing for HD video and not the premium content, I have to question their financial priorities.

#19 Edited by Nightriff (4988 posts) -

Backlog is the most important benefit. All RPCG are worth watching AT LEAST once if not more and going back to watch Fortune Street, Dead Island and Cards Against Humanity TNTs are pretty much worth the price of admission

#20 Posted by CastroCasper (1301 posts) -

My year sub just ended and I just re-upped for another year. Other than the obvious advantages of not getting ads and the great extra content, I too wondered for a little if I should just save the 50 bucks or not. Then I assessed the worth of this site, and now that I don't watch TV, I realized that probably 60% of my entertainment content I watch comes from Giant Bomb. It is also some of the higher quality entertainment out of the stuff I watch/read/listen/play. I then realized it was kind of foolish of me to ponder over this $50, because in reality I owe a lot more to these guys then just 50 bucks a year. These duders and their silly nonsense has gotten me through some crap so I don't, and won't, ever have a problem paying them. But that is just me.

Oh and store credit.

#21 Edited by InsiderGamer (69 posts) -

I then realized it was kind of foolish of me to ponder over this $50, because in reality I owe a lot more to these guys then just 50 bucks a year. These duders and their silly nonsense has gotten me through some crap so I don't, and won't, ever have a problem paying them. But that is just me.

Me too. I care very little about the advantages. I just want to support them. The Premium video content is nice though, especially Random PC Game (RPG).

#22 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Unprofessional Fridays has become worth the price alone.

#23 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

jeff's jar time and random pc game have been favorites and worth the admission.

unprofessional fridays started off very very strong, but i worry that it will become a bit hit or miss as the last one was sort of hit or miss.

#24 Edited by dudeglove (7740 posts) -

They've entertained me greatly over the past few years, especially the Deadly Premonition endurance runs, so I had no qualms with returning the favor.

#25 Edited by madpierrot (67 posts) -

I always visited the site on a regular bases and loved the content so being able to see more with the premium membership was an easy choice for me. Also I just wanted to support the crew. With all the awesome content they've given me I wanted to give back. As far as exclusive content Jeff's Jar Time and Random PC Game alone are more than enough. Unprofessional Friday's has been a great recent bonus and something that maybe isn't a big deal for everyone, but great for me living in a time zone that's 13-14 hours different is all of the archived content.

Considering something like $50 is enough for me to go out to the movies twice, I get wayyyyyyy more for my money when I give Giantbomb $50.

#26 Edited by fetchfox (1260 posts) -

@somberowl: I've been a premium member since the start and I've never not renewed when possible (or bought several during sales). There's an incredible amount of entertainment for regular members, but (in my personal opinion) the best content is part of the premium package. Random PC game, Jar Time and HD archive of all the streams really makes it worth it. I'd say you should check it out for a month, and then commit to a year if you like what you see.

#27 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

There was as time when premium meant HD videos. Now? I don't know anymore. Premium content, I guess.

#28 Edited by OGred (196 posts) -

I tried to get premium the other day but noticed that they don't accept PayPal. Any ideas why? There must be a thousand posts on this already...sorry. :I

EDIT: Nevermind, found a page on the store that explains it all.

#29 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

I really like the ability to download videos - I don't always have a net connection, so I like to download a whole bunch of videos and watch them offline. Also, the Premium videos are pretty good (Mostly Unprofessional Fridays and the random videos they do like Random PC Game - TNT, meh...) Also, supporting a great bunch of guys.

#30 Posted by Druminator (1676 posts) -

I subbed for a month and didn't get anything different out of it. As for ads, I never see them anyway, I guess because of ad-block?

#31 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

All the premium stuff they do, I enjoy (Random PC game, Jar time, etc) and I think it's totally worth the $50 a year. As I've said many times, I do it just to support the crew but all the extra videos are great and if I stopped being a paying member, I would definitely miss the videos.

It hasn't increased my time here by that much, but that's because I was already on a shitload before! :P

#32 Posted by OurSin_360 (842 posts) -

You can always try a month and see, I think i might do that myself. I think Html5 would probably be worth it as well, if you browse on a tablet/phone these days. Although the whiskey app is pretty good (Giant bomb app is dead though)

#33 Posted by LackingSaint (1786 posts) -

My favourite show is still Jeff's Jar Time. I love Jeff, and the whole laid back environment where he can still discuss things in-depth and communicate with the community really appeals to me. I think the other benefits are worth it to, although I do have a particular disdain for ads, while still wanting to contribute to the site. I don't think I've visited the site any more since becoming a premium member, but I've always spent quite a lot of time here anyway.

Which would you say are the best Jar Times to watch? I'm really interested in watching them but I don't really have the time to watch every single one

#34 Posted by Pr1mus (3868 posts) -

Subscribing to Giant Bomb is like subscribing to TV channel because you really like 2-3 shows they put on. None the premium stuff has anything to do with coverage of current games. It's all about the actors and the script. If you really like the personalities of the crew subscribing is worth it.