Best Bang For Your Bucks Games?

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I remenber getting the original Ratchet & Clank, for 15 bucks a year or so after it came out and couldn't believe I was playing a game that good for such a price at the time (things always seem like a billion dollars when you're younger). I also remember getting Rise of Legends for really cheap a couple of years ago to and is now one of my favorite RTS games.

So I was just wondering what some of your favorite "bang for your buck" games are. ^_^

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Spelunky. Spent like $10 on my Vita during a sale, and 500 hours later...

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I put 20 hours into Star Wars Battlefront this month and got it for ten bucks on sale. Not an amazing game by any means, but if you like Star Wars the imagery and different modes are satisfying enough to make it worthwhile. I wish the expansion was cheaper. The Season Pass is priced at thirty which feels way overpriced. I really want the extra content though.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine: a friend of mine has that game and has said I should try it. I've kinda always wanted to play it but the sort of tepid response by alot of people made me a little weary even though I'm a bit of a star wars fan girl. Maybe I should just go ahead and play it ? what's even in the season pass? It always seemed crazy that they were charging $50 dollars for that thing! O_o

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

The one I felt this last year about was The Witcher 2 which I paid $4 for and they frequently charge $2 on Steam these days.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ezekiel

Bought the best platformer ever made, Super Meat Boy, for three dollars and got thirty hours out of it. I played through another version of it before, though.

Bought Arkham City for five dollars, I think, and got 166 hours out of it so far. Yesterday, after two and half years, I finally earned the achievement "Perfect Knight - Day 2".

Bought Dark Souls (PC) for 40 or 30 euros and got above 1400 hours out of it. Several hundred more if I count the PS3 version, which I played before I had a decent PC.

There are many examples like this. I never buy games for full price anymore. There's no point.

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My bother bought Shadow of the Colossus for a 1 euro back in the day. Great purchase that took me at least 5 play through.

Also I bought X-Com:EU on sale for less than a tenner a few years ago, I put at least 60 hours into that game.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I bought Mount and Blade Warband for less than $10 or something and played it for hundreds of hours. It has to be my top game like this.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I got P4G for 6€ last year, I played it for 128 hours and greatly enjoyed it. Same goes for Vampire Bloodlines, another one of my all-time favorite games, for which I only paid 10€.

I bought Mount and Blade Warband for less than $10 or something and played it for hundreds of hours. It has to be my top game like this.

And also this. I think I got all of M&B during a Steam sale for like 8€, and Warband has been among my top-5 most played steam games for a while now.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent like 4 bucks on CS:GO and have about 2,500 hours in it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. Including all of the DLC, I think I've spent under $30. 2100+ hours so far.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@wolverine: a friend of mine has that game and has said I should try it. I've kinda always wanted to play it but the sort of tepid response by alot of people made me a little weary even though I'm a bit of a star wars fan girl. Maybe I should just go ahead and play it ? what's even in the season pass? It always seemed crazy that they were charging $50 dollars for that thing! O_o

As a Star Wars fan-boy, it's a great little shooter. It may not have the depth, and sometimes feels a little chaotic, but I think that's what makes the Battlefront franchise so approachable. It's just something to hear the sounds of Star Wars, see some Star Wars sights, and be you favorite Star Wars characters. I think it's plenty worth it at $10-$20, but be careful with the DLC. If you are playing on the PC, don't waste your time or money. You couldn't get into the DLC maps if you tried. However, the PS4 (I don't own an X1, so I can't say there) is populated just fine. My favorite is the Death Star map.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

overwatch for me apparently, I can't stop playing it that I pretty much got my 50$(pc) worth and have like 400 hours in it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Does dota 2 count? I've never paid a dime for it and have gotten I don't want to know how many thousands of hours out of it.

Otherwise the witcher games as previously mentioned.

spartica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spartica

Crusader Kings II and EU4 in a bundle bundle for about 15 bucks. 100s of hours of entertainment if grand strategy is your cup of tea

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as games I paid full price for, Skyrim and The Witcher 3 including its expansions come to mind. I bought Skyrim a week after it came out after having lost every game I had owned at the time, and I played it and nothing else for three straight months. Last year, I got DOOM for $36 two – maybe three – weeks after it came out.

Boss_Kowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Resident Evil 4 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare come to mind. Bought a GameCube for the former alone and finished it nearly two dozen times. As for Modern Warfare, it's the only Call of Duty I managed to hit the max prestige in. Took me about 18 days of in-game time.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The DLC's pretty much a bunch of maps and blasters and a couple new characters for the hero mode. The really new stuff is from Rogue One. If you like Star Wars you should definitely get the base game! It's not the best multiplayer shooter ever, but it's still a lot of fun. I'd be down to do horde mode missions with you. My gamertag's RudeAlexander :-)

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@slag said:

Does dota 2 count? I've never paid a dime for it and have gotten I don't want to know how many thousands of hours out of it.

I was going to say this but Heroes of the Storm XD

TakyonDG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TakyonDG

Definitely Mount & Blade (including Warband), FTL, Spelunky, and my early access to Darkest Dungeon. Maybe $80 spent on all of them together and 100s of hours in each one.

Also MOBAs if that's your thing. I've put a fair amount of $$$ into League but have over a thousand hours over five or six years so no hard feelings there.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Witcher 30 GOTY edition is 30 dollars sometimes, its pretty good value.

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought Fallout: New Vegas for about $20 and went with a bunch of mods. after about four playthroughs, I'm near 1000 hours and it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Rocket League is also a great piece of value, and if you're in to free-to-play, Marvel Heroes is fantastic (especially if you're in to Marvel in general). Terrarria is often on sale for about $5 and that's easily 100's of hours of content for what I think is a better Minecraft.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dota 2, Path of Exile, Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, Dark Souls

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Mount and Blade: Warband (Vanilla is super fun and there are also really good mods)
  • Torchlight (Liked it more than 2 for some reason)
  • Warframe (it's FREE and fun)
  • Terraria (Crazy amounts of content for the price)
  • Fallout: New Vegas (Just a great game, the best Bethesda style open world game)
  • Insurgency (regularly on sale for like 2 bucks)
  • Europa Universalis 4 (stuff happens, then it's night time and you haven't eaten all day)
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FTL

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Afterbirth, Afterbirth+

Think I've spent less than $20 on all of it and I have 500 hours and counting.

Got Real Platinum God in Rebirth, 1001% in Afterbirth, and aiming for the equivelant now in Afterbirth+

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably The Orange Box. Got it for like twenty quid, played the entire Half-Life 2 series and loved it, played Portal and loved it, then played 500 hours of TF2 (...and loved it).

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sinusoidal

If you're on PC, aside from the free-to-plays, Humble Bundles are probably the best dollar-to-hour ratio you're going to find. There are usually at least a few games worth playing in each one, and you end up with a bunch of games you might never have tried otherwise.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OurSin_360

Grim dawn - bought at a discount i believe, but its full price is still cheap for the amount of time and fun i am still having with the game.

Skyrim/oblivion - never actually finished the main story in either but have 100's of hours over multiple versions.

Let it die/Warframe/dc universe online - all free all fun and didn't feel gimped in any meaningful way. Spent good amount of time in each at various points, especially Warframe on ps4.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By Zevvion

XCOM 2 - If you have no XCOM experience, you'll go Normal > Commander 2-3x > Legend and be challenged and feel broken the entire way. That's like 100 hours of gameplay right there without getting bored. Then, you can still work on perfecting your tactics. Then you get to install all the sweet mods of which there are plenty and more added daily. I have over 300 hours into it already and show no sign of being done with it.

Destiny - I mean... I've got lots of monthsdays hours into it.

Borderlands 2 - I thought for sure I'd be done with it at some point but still playing it.

Your favorite Souls game - because they are pretty much infinitely replayable.

jerkchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jerkchicken

Hitman Intro Pack for $15 is a pretty good deal if you do all of the challenges and escalations. I've probably put 15 hours into it. I've got 20 mastery in Paris, but I haven't even touched the Paris escalations yet.

Slowpork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the top of my mind: Binding of Isaac, Stardew Valley, Dark Souls series.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've bought so many games that I've loved on Steam sales it's hard to remember all of them but this winter sale I got Hitman (2016) for $30. I have about 40hrs logged and haven't even finished scratching the surface. Love that game so much.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By BoOzak

@lackingsaint said:

Probably The Orange Box. Got it for like twenty quid, played the entire Half-Life 2 series and loved it, played Portal and loved it, then played 500 hours of TF2 (...and loved it).

Yeah The Orange Box was great, even if you owned HL2 and Episode 1 it was still a really good deal. (cost £24 new in the UK) I also bought Metroid Prime Trilogy last year for £9. I've already played them all but having them on the Wii U with added features and not needing to change discs was worth it. (especially since it was being sold for £50 used elsewhere)

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Stardew Valley has already been mentioned but if you are into those kinds of games then I'd really like to second it. Also, Rebel Galaxy is one I think offers tremendous value for the money. I have 20+ hours on that game right now and I'm still in the first sector. I could, probably, have moved on to the next sector ten hours ago but I'm just having so much fun doing missions and upgrading my ship/buying new ships. And right now I'm at the point that I'm pretty much owning everything I come across in this sector so it's actually kind of my chillout game right now. Granted, that'll probably change once I go to the new sector but I can got at it at my own pace so I'm taking my sweet time and really enjoying it.

Also the music in that game really invokes a Cowboy Bebop feeling with me. It's like a cross between country and rock (there's probably a better name for it but meh). It can get a bit repetitive but that hasn't bothered me one bit so far.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terraria. Bought it for <= $10 and got hundreds of hours out of it with years of free updates. Great game.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Witcher 3: Complete has gone half off several times in the past couple months. $30 for something with that much content is a must buy in my book.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I mean, if you like sports, pick any acclaimed sports game and the enjoyment is basically endless. I probably played 1,000 basketball games between online and offline of NBA 2K11. I played every game of every season across 8 seasons of both NCAA Football 2005 and Madden 2005 thanks to draft class importing.

Outside of historically great sports games, I only own three seasons of The Pinball Arcade and I'm no good at most of the wizard goals but it's a great way to kill 20 minutes.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$5 for Civ 4.

DedicatedDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragons Dogma PC. Not just a long game, its a great game that was an utter joy for me. The world felt real, the combat felt brilliant and the music was enriching.

TheHanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it twice at full price (360 then PS4) and it was still worth every penny.

I picked up Diablo III on PS4 a while back for I think $30? Fantastic game that I like to go back to every now and then.