#1 Posted by SwiftFire (75 posts) -

My favourite part of an RTS is building the base, do you guys know which game has the best base building in it?

#2 Posted by Obsidian (346 posts) -

+1 for SimCity.

#3 Edited by Vager (1654 posts) -

I enjoyed Tiberium Sun's walls and gates to make a fancy looking base. 
Also Stronghold is great for making castles.

#4 Posted by Semition (731 posts) -

Probably one of the older Sim games if that counts as an RTS.

#5 Posted by Feanor (1391 posts) -

The lotr rts' have pretty good bases.

#6 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (544 posts) -

DOW is pretty good, as is Starcraft obviously. They're basically all the same.

#7 Posted by RTSlord (1201 posts) -

obviously starcraft, and the age of empires series (the 2nd game is the best in my opinion, although ive never played the 3rd one)

#8 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

Battle for middle earth 2.
Red Alert 2.

#9 Posted by RTSlord (1201 posts) -
@Ineedaname said:
" Battle for middle earth 2. Red Alert 2. "
DUH. how could i forget BFME2? theres a ton of base building in that game
#10 Posted by Jrad (624 posts) -

Supcom still has some of the best base building I know of -- it's possible to make some excellent (both functionally and aesthetically) bases.

#11 Posted by Durandal377 (55 posts) -

As far as I am aware, the best base building RTS would have to be either Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander (or SC: Forged Alliance for that matter). Not so much Supreme Commander 2 though, they simplified things maybe a bit too much if building bases is your thing.  
These are the best games for it for a relatively simple reason: they are the only games that I am aware of that allow you to build a base with artillery cannons that can basically fire all the way across the map, surround your base with shorter ranged, but still potent artillery guns and point defenses, crank out nukes and strategic missile defenses, shield generators (though those aren't in TA, that game is too old), and just generally create a massive industrial complex capable of bringing an opponent to its knees without having to leave the comfort of your defensive lines (though it is also fun to produce hundreds of air units to throw at opponents). 
I'm telling you, you can get Supreme commander from amazon for like 8 dollars, or you could get a digital copy of TA from impulse for like 10. I firmly believe that either of these would satisfy that particular itch better than just about anything else, speaking as a person who enjoys base building a whole lot as well. 
Though I will warn you, if you go for TA, it is pretty clunky nowadays, seeing as how it was released before Starcraft, or at least around there. Either way, its gameplay hasn't held up nearly as well as that. But as the foundation of Supreme Commander, I find it fun to see just how similar they are.

#12 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

I thought I was in to base building until I played some RTS's without it....turns out I hate it.

But check out Dawn of War 1.

#13 Edited by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -

Probably SupCom and it's expansion, mainly because you need to put a lot of effort into making it efficient, which makes it really satisfying when you destroy your enemies base, because you know how much effort they put into it. 
@Durandal377 said:

" As far as I am aware, the best base building RTS would have to be either Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander (or SC: Forged Alliance for that matter). Not so much Supreme Commander 2 though, they simplified things maybe a bit too much if building bases is your thing.  These are the best games for it for a relatively simple reason: they are the only games that I am aware of that allow you to build a base with artillery cannons that can basically fire all the way across the map, surround your base with shorter ranged, but still potent artillery guns and point defenses, crank out nukes and strategic missile defenses, shield generators (though those aren't in TA, that game is too old), and just generally create a massive industrial complex capable of bringing an opponent to its knees without having to leave the comfort of your defensive lines (though it is also fun to produce hundreds of air units to throw at opponents). I'm telling you, you can get Supreme commander from amazon for like 8 dollars, or you could get a digital copy of TA from impulse for like 10. I firmly believe that either of these would satisfy that particular itch better than just about anything else, speaking as a person who enjoys base building a whole lot as well. Though I will warn you, if you go for TA, it is pretty clunky nowadays, seeing as how it was released before Starcraft, or at least around there. Either way, its gameplay hasn't held up nearly as well as that. But as the foundation of Supreme Commander, I find it fun to see just how similar they are. "

I forgot about those huge artillery canons, those things were badass, there range could span the whole map, also in SupCom the placement of buildings and was really important, you couldn't just place things anywhere.
#14 Posted by dunderri (161 posts) -

Age of Empires! With the help of cheats, I was able to build the most massive cities. There really is no need to have 5+ stables... or is there?

#15 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Age of Empires III

#16 Posted by iFail (236 posts) -

Supreme Commander 1 and Supreme Commander:  Forged Alliance both have great base building elements, with a wide selection of buildings, great economy system,  and AWESOME HUGE artillery guns.

#17 Posted by infamous021 (122 posts) -

-LOTR:BFME2
-Supcom
-Stronghold
-SC2 (bases look really cool, expecially the zerg ones)
-AOE3/AOE2/Age of Mythology
-CnC3
-Impossible Creatures had some really cool looking bases for it's time.

#18 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3508 posts) -

Age of Empires II is the shiznite. 

#19 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Rise of Nations bridges everything together which makes it look like a proper base instead of just random shit.

#20 Posted by Belonpopo (1822 posts) -

The second Age of Empires.

#21 Posted by masterpaperlink (1873 posts) -

Red Alert 2 

#22 Edited by ch3burashka (5244 posts) -

Age of Empires. 
Rise of Nations. 

The Age of Empires 1/2 Bundle is 10 bucks on Amazon. Totally worth it.

#23 Posted by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -

ANNO 1404 is good too.

#24 Posted by Flaime (527 posts) -

Stronghold Crusader probably

#25 Posted by cesson (44 posts) -

I think stronghold is a really good base building game. if you haven't played it, I recommend you do so.

#26 Posted by Shirogane (3581 posts) -

CnC4. 
Oh wait...GODAMNIT! 
But yeah, the CnC games had some pretty awesome basebuilding. 

RA3:Uprising is pretty cool too. As are the other RA games. 
And SupCom+Forged Alliance.
#27 Posted by EvolutionX0 (413 posts) -

Age of Empires II and LOTR: BFME are good ones.

#28 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -

Dawn of War: 40k 1 has a pretty good base building system.

#29 Posted by MB (13089 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" Rise of Nations bridges everything together which makes it look like a proper base instead of just random shit. "
I always loved that about Rise of Nations, man, what a fun game. I'm pretty bad at RTS titles, but I still like building up huge bases and amassing tons of units then eventually annihilating the AI enemy at my own pace. This is the same reason I like Company of Heroes. No multiplayer, of course...I'm just not fast enough to be successful in managing combat with multiple groups on more than one front. (This is why I'm passing on Starcraft 2 until the price comes down, I'll eventually get it just for the single player, but I know my limitations and will just never have enough time to invest to be good at multiplayer. I'll play it next year.)
#30 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

I've been trying to track down a relatively cheap copy of Battle for Middle-Earth 2 for some time now, with no real luck. If it's as good as y'all are saying it is I might have to redouble my efforts.

#31 Posted by Astras (971 posts) -

Turtleing will get you killed! :P 

But yea Sup com 1, Red alert 1 used to be cool for basebuilding, Age of empires 2,3,  Dungoen keeper 2, Theme hospital, Civilization(s), Total Annihilation, Black and white 2, Stronghold, Tiberian sun, Dawn of war series, etc

#32 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (717 posts) -

I'm enjoying Red Alert 3 at the moment and that has base building specifically a focus on expanding your base around the map. I have yet to win a match online!

#33 Posted by Tomzombie (401 posts) -
@Death_Unicorn said:
" Age of Empires III "
i go with that.
#34 Edited by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

Company of heroes has some great base building 

The brits in the expansion have remarkable defensive structures (howitzers , mortar bunkers etc). And you can build sandbag and barbed wire walls, as well as cement blocks to hinder tank movement. Just build all that shit fast before the krauts send the nebelwerfers and blow all that shit up 

Edit: its not really a combat focused rts but there are amazing building opportunities in both Settlers 7 and Dawn of Discovery / anno 1404,those two games have the most incredible looking cities, fortifications and life. (npcs doing stuff)

#35 Posted by TheRandomKo (240 posts) -

The Settlers.. Granted i only played the second and third ones, so i dont know how good the newer ones are.. 

#36 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@MB said:
" @ryanwho said:
" Rise of Nations bridges everything together which makes it look like a proper base instead of just random shit. "
I always loved that about Rise of Nations, man, what a fun game. I'm pretty bad at RTS titles, but I still like building up huge bases and amassing tons of units then eventually annihilating the AI enemy at my own pace. This is the same reason I like Company of Heroes. No multiplayer, of course...I'm just not fast enough to be successful in managing combat with multiple groups on more than one front. (This is why I'm passing on Starcraft 2 until the price comes down, I'll eventually get it just for the single player, but I know my limitations and will just never have enough time to invest to be good at multiplayer. I'll play it next year.) "
RoN did a lot of shit that should have become bare-bone standard following it. Bridges the base aspects together is one, building 3 tier 1 units at a time is another, infinity qeueing is another, peasants automatically tasking themselves after a certain amount of idle time is another. I just played through SC2 and continue in multiplayer and none of these things are present. Including them wouldn't break the game (other than the tier one thing) and excluding them is just sort of annoying. Seriously, a lot of Blizzard fanboys are too blinded to see it but yeah, some none Blizzard RTSs fixed a lot of archaic shit since the first Starcraft. Its not a dealbreaker excluding them, its just kind of frsutrating that they don't seem to acknowledge any advancements in the genre outside of what they themselves invented.
#37 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Age of Empires II 

Man I would just build walls and gates everywhere. It was great.

#38 Edited by Semition (731 posts) -
@ryanwho: It's kind of weird a lot of the things that you mentioned are things that the SC:BW were bitching about not wanting in SC2. It's not that they don't see it. They actively do not want it because they don't see them as advancements but rather "dumbing down" the game. Even multiple building selection and auto-mining was kinda resisted by a good portion of the community.