• 61 results
Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Choffy
Joystiq just had a story saying that Best Buy is going to essentially go toe-to-toe with Gamestop, getting in to the business of pre-orders, used games and DLC sales. If/when this happens later this year, where would you rather shop (besides Amazon, of course)?
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I will apply for a job there of course. 

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By jorbear

Does Steam count? Because that and Amazon are basically all that I use currently.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Unless Best Buy starts selling "new" games by putting the disc into the case before my eyes (as often happens at GameStop), then I have zero problem buying things there. 

Though I usually go to Wal-Mart first, if only because there's a Wal-Mart closer to me than a Best Buy. 
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@MooseyMcMan said:
" Unless Best Buy starts selling "new" games by putting the disc into the case before my eyes (as often happens at GameStop), then I have zero problem buying things there. 

"
That only happens when its the last copy. 
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
" Unless Best Buy starts selling "new" games by putting the disc into the case before my eyes (as often happens at GameStop), then I have zero problem buying things there. 

"
That only happens when its the last copy.  "
Maybe at whatever GameStop you go to, but I've bought games there when they clearly had numerous other copies as well. And even if it does only happen with the last copy, it's still a terrible way to go about things. 
nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nohthink

I bet that is gonna take a while. I might even argue Best Buy will never be as big as GameStop when it comes to video game business. GameStop that pre-orders and used game sales business locked down. Also, unlike GameStop, Best Buy does not exclusively sell games or consoles. It sells anything from dishwasher to TV. Therefore, technically, Best Buy does not really need to compete with GameStop. It goes same for Amazon. And I would choose GameStop over all of them. (Let the haters hate) Whether GameStop is evil or not, they have pretty good deals and as a consumer, I would always want more stuff. Why would I go to Amazon or Best Buy when I know I can get free DLCs just by pre-ordering from GameStop? Yeah yeah GameStop is evil. Whatever. If Best Buy wants me back, not that they would, they need to step their game up and they will not because, as I said before, they don't need to.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@MooseyMcMan said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:

"
Maybe at whatever GameStop you go to, but I've bought games there when they clearly had numerous other copies as well. And even if it does only happen with the last copy, it's still a terrible way to go about things.  "
It is because they have to keep a box on the shelf so people can see it and read about the game from the back. "Numerous" Did that mean used copies? 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By KaosAngel

I buy games from Amazon...so companies following a company I don't use sounds like a great business move.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Choffy
@nohthink said:

" I bet that is gonna take a while. I might even argue Best Buy will never be as big as GameStop when it comes to video game business. GameStop that pre-orders and used game sales business locked down. Also, unlike GameStop, Best Buy does not exclusively sell games or consoles. It sells anything from dishwasher to TV. Therefore, technically, Best Buy does not really need to compete with GameStop. It goes same for Amazon. And I would choose GameStop over all of them. (Let the haters hate) Whether GameStop is evil or not, they have pretty good deals and as a consumer, I would always want more stuff. Why would I go to Amazon or Best Buy when I know I can get free DLCs just by pre-ordering from GameStop? Yeah yeah GameStop is evil. Whatever. If Best Buy wants me back, not that they would, they need to step their game up and they will not because, as I said before, they don't need to. "

From the Joystiq article:

"According a recent presentation by the company, Best Buy plans to add employees and facilities to its retail stores to encourage game sales sometime this fiscal year."

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Subjugation

The beauty of being a PC gamer is pre-orders are pretty much irrelevant to me. Everything I want is available for digital download, so it's impossible to "run out." And no, I don't care at all about the ridiculous pre-order bonuses.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Choffy
@KaosAngel: Competition is great for consumers though. I'd be willing to bet Gamestop used prices will lower, and trade-in prices will go up.
nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nohthink
@Choffy said:
" @nohthink said:

" I bet that is gonna take a while. I might even argue Best Buy will never be as big as GameStop when it comes to video game business. GameStop that pre-orders and used game sales business locked down. Also, unlike GameStop, Best Buy does not exclusively sell games or consoles. It sells anything from dishwasher to TV. Therefore, technically, Best Buy does not really need to compete with GameStop. It goes same for Amazon. And I would choose GameStop over all of them. (Let the haters hate) Whether GameStop is evil or not, they have pretty good deals and as a consumer, I would always want more stuff. Why would I go to Amazon or Best Buy when I know I can get free DLCs just by pre-ordering from GameStop? Yeah yeah GameStop is evil. Whatever. If Best Buy wants me back, not that they would, they need to step their game up and they will not because, as I said before, they don't need to. "

"According a recent presentation by the company, Best Buy plans to add employees and facilities to its retail stores to encourage game sales sometime this fiscal year."

"
See... I don't think that means anything though... If Best Buy was truly threatened by GameStop and they were serious about it, they would put up TV ads because Best Buy is definitely more recognizable and larger company then GameStop. I wonder what will they achieve by adding more employees "to encourage" game sales. Maybe they try not to lose more customers rather than trying to steal customers from GameStop.
Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Ubik
@jorbear said:
" Does Steam count? Because that and Amazon are basically all that I use currently. "
That goes for me, too.  The last time I actually went into a Best Buy was to try out the Playstation Move before I bought it, so this new corporate move really doesn't affect me directly either way.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Choffy
@nohthink said:
" @Choffy said:
" @nohthink said:

"
See... I don't think that means anything though... If Best Buy was truly threatened by GameStop and they were serious about it, they would put up TV ads because Best Buy is definitely more recognizable and larger company then GameStop. I wonder what will they achieve by adding more employees "to encourage" game sales. Maybe they try not to lose more customers rather than trying to steal customers from GameStop. "
I didn't say it was happening next week. Later this year. I'm sure they will when the program starts.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman

Hmm, well I still wouldn't buy used games, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chokobo

The local comic book shop is even trying to get in on the used game racket.  Just started buying up used games a few weeks ago.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wickedsc3
@MooseyMcMan said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:

"
Maybe at whatever GameStop you go to, but I've bought games there when they clearly had numerous other copies as well. And even if it does only happen with the last copy, it's still a terrible way to go about things.  "
Yea I've had the same thing happen where I have to be like I want a sealed copy, and all they do is turn around and grab me one.  I think the last copy should be cheaper just like a floor model tv's and stuff.  

On topic I think I will still get my games from amazon but its cool to see more options.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By grilledcheez

I thought they already did all that?  I know my Best Buy sells used games.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Well I did see a copy of Shadow Hearts: Covenant there, which I had looked for in several different gamestops, to no luck.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By TheKing
@MooseyMcMan said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:

"
I worked at a Gamestop in college and what you just said made zero sense. Why would I sell you a display copy when I have plenty sealed? It would make more work for myself because I would have to gut, label and put out another display copy.
Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Zippedbinders

Pretty sure Best Buy has been selling "Pre-Owned" games for at least a year. They take pre-orders too.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cameron

As long as they don't try to get me to buy two or three different things I don't want every time I try to buy something I will stick with Best Buy.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By crusader8463

Steam    

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Claude

I've got a good deal going on with Gamestop. Bestbuy better make it worth my while. As for now, I'm going down the strip.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Branthog

Why would I choose either one? Best-Buy is for suckers, just like Game Stop. I was going to say "retards", but they have more sense than to shop at Best Buy or Game Stop.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By EpicSteve

So far, there used games selection is pretty small. Regardless, I don't see much reason to shop anywhere aside from Amazon. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iam3green

well that is gay. i hope that they don't hassle me to preoder something, like they do to me at gamestop. the last time i went to gamestop they didn't really hassle me all that much. when i check out they just ask if i would like to preorder at this time.

tracerace11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tracerace11

Amazon.  Every now and then I go out and roam the Best Buy and Gamestop for possible sales too good to pass up, but that hasn't happened in over a year.  Amazon has everything I would want, and credits, discounts, deal days, and  no one shoving pre orders and dlc down my throat.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By nukesniper

Best Buys in MN here have had used games on the shelves for a while. They have all been older ones though. I don't know how global this is, but it makes some sense. 

I've basically stopped buying used games though. I find plenty of good stuff in Steam sales and clearance stuff. 
Avatar image for rockstarskywalker
rockstarskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Best Buy give more trade-in credit than Gamestop?    

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Solh0und
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:

"
What he said. Whenever I get a new copy, it's factory sealed.
zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zonikjj

Well, GameStop would still have the biggest selection of used games, so I would probably still stick with GameStop overall. It's going to take a lot of time to gain the momentum GameStop has in the used-game space

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ch13696
@MooseyMcMan said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:

"
Aaaawwww... not this again.
sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sickVisionz

Best Buy.  Best Buy has yet to sell me a broken console, company branded controller, non-functioning cables with a console, and games that don't work so I'd go with them.  Gamestop seems to have it out for me and refuses to sell me functioning products the first time around.  I've tried 4 different Atlanta areas over the span of about 7 years and all of them fail equally on the concept of selling working products to consumers.

Wes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By Wes
@TheKing: @ch13696: Some of the people working at GameStop think they're suppose to sell the opened copy and then pop open a new one for the shelf. It makes no sense, but I had multiple game advisors do it when I worked there. I ended up having to tell each of them to stop it.

@sickVisionz: I use to work at store 2258 over in Lilburn. I'm not sure how close you are to that store but I would always make sure damaged items were taken in as defective so they wouldn't be sold back to customers. I loved defecting out busted controllers and games since it screwed over the ass who didn't take care of his stuff, instead of the buyer. That and I made sure the advisor's I worked with didn't poke at people for desperate preorders. I stopped working there a while back though so they could have fallen downhill since.
Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Choffy
@rockstarskywalker said:
" Does Best Buy give more trade-in credit than Gamestop?     "
 Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the game, really. Though if you trade in the right games, their trade-in promotions can really help you. That being said, I still usually trade in on Amazon.
wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wadtomaton

I don't really buy games from Best Buy simply because I generally wait for good deals on Amazon now. Too poor to buy games new all the time (I still look back at my Toys R Us days and wonder how I ever managed to consistently guy 2 - 4 games a week and support 2 or 3 TCG buy habits lol) 

I go to Best Buy for the occasional Bluray though. And I'd be ok with them selling more used games because I still buy a lot of old used games (for some reason I'm one of those crazy people that like owning things like GBA carts >_>;;;) 

The Best Buy near me is kinda small though unfortunately :/ 
kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kyelb22

I work in Gaming at Best Buy in Cali, and yeah, we're really pushing the for us to be #1 gaming retailer in a few years. Selling used games and the Gamer's Club and our Gamer magazine are all ways that we're trying to put us above Gamestop. I don't see it happening, though. Gamestop already has 85% of the market, so I don't see us being able to take over.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AhmadMetallic

good for them

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RobotHamster

I'm still going to use just amazon and steam.

EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By EchoForge

Neither one.

In 2007, Best Buy was caught, a number of times, using an internal website that looked virtually identical to the public-facing website ... with the difference being that it showed higher prices. So the real website, Bestbuy.com, would show an item as being on sale. The customer would drive to the store, where the item would be listed at the higher regular price on the shelf. When the customer mentioned the website price to the employee, the employee would prove them wrong by pulling up the fake website on their computer. Then they could say, "See? You're mistaken. Looks like the sale has ended."

from: http://www.cracked.com/article_19022_5-ways-hi-tech-retailers-are-secretly-screwing-you.html

Not that I don't think Amazon is high and mighty or anything (read through that same article for a counterpoint), but it's basically a process of elimination: if you haven't personally screwed me over yet, you get my business. I basically use brick and mortars as 'live catalogues' at this point, then hop online to check if Amazon has the same game for a better price (which it almost always does).

If I'm going to be jerked around by these places, might as well get the best deal.

udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By udabenshen

I pretty much only buy games on Amazon, even on some PC games (Steamworks for the win!), because I like to spread my support to certain sites that get get a cut if you click through a link.  That way I can feel a little bit better that while I am buying through a giant corporation at least I am support something that I actually value like Cheap Ass Gamer, or the Majority Report (a podcast I listen to), or something else like that.

Also, the Best Buy near me has super long lines and I can only imagine that them used game buying process will make those lines even worse.

I dunno, my 2 cents on buying stuff.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By FesteringNeon

It was only a matter of time, really. Esp with digital distributions rise in popularity.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By blueaniman93

there are no best buys near my house
i prefer amazon always but i would have to choose gamestop

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By melcene
@Choffy said:

" Joystiq just had a story saying that Best Buy is going to essentially go toe-to-toe with Gamestop, getting in to the business of pre-orders, used games and DLC sales. If/when this happens later this year, where would you rather shop (besides Amazon, of course)? "

They already have gotten into all of this.  My local Best Buy has been doing preorders for quite a while, and used games for at least the last six months or so.  I'm not sure if they also do DLC sales.

But as for the question... I usually prefer to buy my games at Gamestop unless I know that Best Buy has a better price going.

Also:  Poll options next time?  :)
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By penguindust

I didn't know BestBuy had used games or any trade-in for credit system.  I remember they had some kiosks a while back but they shelved that idea.  

I don't have a problem with BestBuy or Gamestop, I just refuse to pre-order games anywhere unless they come with a fat credit toward my next purchase like Amazon does. 
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By shadows_kill

I will shop at the one with the best deal easy as that. Also Walmart and Gamestop are right near my house in a 3 min drive while Best Buy is across town. Also hasn't Best Buy been doing used games for a while? I've seen games wrapped in yellow plastic labeled used for a while. 

swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By swfcfan

Guess some older games wont want to go into a teen infested Gamestop. but they would pick up the new Halo/Killzone etc if it was in the local Best buy.
ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ConstantRa1n

Best Buy and Gamestop both suck. I hope they counter each other into flames and disappear.