#1 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

I have been getting bored of the multiplayer aspects of fps and I am wondering what fps have good campaigns. So far I am thinking about getting No one live forever and maybe solider of fortune. so what would you recommend I don't mind when the game was made or about the graphics. I care more about level design, Settings and story. Also does anyone know where you can get system shock 2 cheap ? Like 10-20 pound.

#2 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

Bioshock.

#3 Posted by Zaccheus (1792 posts) -

Half-Life 2.

#4 Posted by Hunkulese (2694 posts) -

Both Bioshocks (2 is fine if you can get over the fact that everything is shoe horned into the universe and it's more fun to play).

Half-life

All the call of duties

Gears

Halo

Bulletstorm

Doom

#5 Edited by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

@Shotgunblast97 said:

Also does anyone know where you can get system shock 2 cheap ? Like 10-20 pound.

You have to pirate System Shock 2 unless you want to pay 100 pounds or more.

@fuzzypumpkin said:

Bioshock.

And Bioshock 2. It's not as good as the original but it's still worth playing if only to get access to Minerva's Den. Sooo good that DLC.

Also both the Borderlands have pretty good and long campaigns even while playing solo.

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (11799 posts) -
#7 Posted by Ezakael (930 posts) -

I really enjoyed the Call of Duty 2 campaign, I'd suggest that if you don't mind WW2 shooters.

@BeachThunder: I find it interesting that in order to get the game for free you need to input credit car info.

#8 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@Shotgunblast97: Here are a few for a modern day system, but if your looking into older games I can't recommend Timesplitters 3 enough.

• Bulletstorm.
  • Resistance Fall of Man.
  • Syndicate.
  • Medieval Moves.
#9 Posted by Itwastuesday (956 posts) -

Good FPS campaigns that always come to mind for me are Halo 1 and 3, and CoD4

#10 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

Half Life 2

#11 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

@Shotgunblast97: Might try amazon for System Shock in the new & used section, could be there & happy hunting.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

Bulletstorm, Bioshock 1 and 2, Painkiller, Doom 1,2, and 3, Halo Combat Evolved, Half-Life 2, Resistance 3.

#13 Posted by HappyCheeze (91 posts) -

I haven't played Dishonered yet, but from what I hear its pretty dope.

Original Deus Ex.

Fallout New Vegas

If you want old school and want to sneak, Thief 1 and 2 with the modern os patches.

#14 Posted by BeachThunder (11799 posts) -

@fox01313 said:

@Shotgunblast97: Might try amazon for System Shock in the new & used section, could be there & happy hunting.

Oh, and the obligatory 'vote for the games on GOG' comment:

Vote for the games on GOG:

#15 Edited by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

Singularity is pretty fun. Kind of a watered down BioShock in some respects with a disappointing story, but it's got some decent variety and the general shooting is solid. It probably shouldn't be your first choice, though. Other examples already brought up in here such as the BioShock games themselves are definitely worth playing first.

All three Resistance games have some great campaigns, too. The third is the overall best, though the first is pretty damn good as well. Second unfortunately got caught up in the CoD craze and simplified a lot of its design, with regenerating health and a 2-weapon limit, but I remember enjoying it quite a fair bit all the same.

#16 Posted by ez123 (1955 posts) -

Black Mesa seems alright so far. That shit free, too.

Awesome FPS campaigns: HL2, Reach, Bulletstorm, and The Darkness.

#17 Posted by Aegon (5471 posts) -
#18 Posted by Christoffer (1786 posts) -

Metro 2033 is really good. Though I would follow Patricks advice and bump it down to easy, the combat isn't awesome.

And I've heard good things about Stalker, but I've yet to try it out myself.

#19 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I can't recommend Timesplitters 3 enough.

This. I replayed it quite recently and that game is still gold.

#20 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Crysis 1

#21 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@Yummylee: I dunno, I'd actually have argued that Singularity is Half Life 2 disguising as BioShock. I mean, you end up with an older scientist working to overthrow the oppressors, a young lady who you'll prop onto hard-to-reach platforms, a gravity-manipulation device (that even turns blue when fully upgraded!), an unfortunate-looking spire firing energy up into the sky, and some kind-of-awful platforming and puzzle sequences. The more BioShock-y stuff goes away about an hour in when the audiologs stop providing new story content.

For the record, my campaign shooter of choice will probably always be Halo 3, though I play that in co-op almost exclusively.

#22 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

@Little_Socrates: Hmm, well I've actually never played Half Life 2, so any such similarities will have completely gone over my head and BioShock was the closest I had to compare.

#23 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3850 posts) -

Bioshock

Metro 2033

Metro 2033

Metro 2033

#24 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

@BeachThunder: Thanks for the link to those two games. Looking through the wishlist ( http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games) on GOG & there's a lot of games out there on the list that I think should be voted on but everyone should take a look for themselves then vote away.

#25 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

I wouldn't really call it a shooter but dishonored was pretty awesome.

#26 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@fox01313 said:

Oh, and the obligatory 'vote for the games on GOG' comment:

Vote for the games on GOG:

Unfortunately, while there is a market for those games, there are several licensing issues with them.

#27 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

My favorite is Half Life 2, Halo: Combat Evolved is fucking incredible as well. I highly suggest the original two Doom games and Marathon on XBLA. Those are probably the best versions of those games if you don't want to see the crazy secrets that require cheats, etc.

#28 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Black Mesa is excellent. Half Life 2, Halo 1, Bioshock (free atm) and Bulletstorm all spring to mind.

#29 Posted by psylah (2169 posts) -
#30 Posted by BisonHero (6398 posts) -

It's a third person shooter, but fuck it, Max Payne and Max Payne 2 have pretty cool campaigns, and are quite fun to play.

Barely anyone played the sequel compared to EVERYONE seemingly playing the first, but I think the sequel is better in basically every regard. Bullet time slowly regenerates, instead of you only earning small amounts of it by killing enemies, and the difficulty is reasonable, whereas Max Payne 1's final areas were bullshit cheap. The sequel takes itself a little more seriously to great effect, without taking itself so seriously that it's just grumpy all the time like Max Payne 3. The sequel actually has interesting characters and storytelling, whereas the original is you just hunting down a series of mob bosses who are all kind of hokey. The plot of the first is a much more straightforward revenge tale, but the sequel really does have the more interesting plot overall.

#31 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

Bioshock by far.

Doom.

#32 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -
#33 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (567 posts) -

I really liked World at War's campaign mode. It featured the Americans fighting the Japanese in the Pacific and the Russians fighting the Germans at Stalingrad. The climax at Reichstag was epic on Veteran difficulty.

#34 Posted by ShockD (2400 posts) -

Counter-Strike.

#35 Posted by RecSpec (3798 posts) -
@ervonymous said:

@Hizang said:

I can't recommend Timesplitters 3 enough.

This. I replayed it quite recently and that game is still gold.

Timesplitters 3 (aka Future Perfect) has one of the funniest stories out there.
#36 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
#37 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

barely any mentions for Deus Ex :(

'swrong with y'all

#38 Posted by Nightriff (4972 posts) -

Doom

#39 Posted by BeachThunder (11799 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

Chex Quest.

Just putting it out there, if you want to play Chex Quest, play Chex Quest 3 - it includes all the Chex Quests and it's free.

#40 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

Bioshock, Half-Life 2, and Metroid Prime. These form holy trinity of FPS campaigns. Checx Quest is cool, too.

#41 Posted by Danteveli (1173 posts) -

Try The Darkness and the sequel plus Chronicles of Riddick Escape from ...

#42 Posted by JadeGL (813 posts) -

Bioshock, definitely.

Condemned, although it's a first person... melee-er I guess. Still love the shite out of that game. :)

I really loved Halo ODST too, but I can't say it is better than any other Halo campaign, really. I just know I like it the most personally.

#43 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
  • Gameplay-wise? Definitely to be found in the Halo franchise. Its mechanics are uniquely suited for deep and interesting skill-driven gameplay. I've got some unforgetable moments of fighting Halo AI, which is extremely rare in FPS games.
  • Story-wise? Guess that has to go to one of the story-driven FPS-RPG hybrids like Bioshock or Deus:Ex.
  • Bombast-wise? Call of Duty would likely be the winner - only played Black Ops and the very first WW2 one, so which one of 'em does it best - I do not know.
  • Personally? I love Battlefield Bad Company 1 as a whole, and I think DICE was onto something big with its campaign - developing an own distinct Battlefield-singleplayer identity - which could have grown, if further iterated upon, into something amazing - but alas it stands as a relatively unique experiment that's somewhat fun, but also somewhat underdeveloped and underpolished. Just thinking about Bad Company 1's SP campaign done right - sandbox open world maps with set main objectives and loads of side objectives, with playstyle and path of progression being open to the player (from sneaky infiltration to taking over a chopper or tank or whatever and raising hell) - well, it could be genre-defining, especially if coop was seamlessy integrated. Hopefully EA's shareholders wake the fuck up, and let EA break out of all the 'me too' game-making they've been doing lately - down to making every game use the same color-palette and in-your-face sun glares and lens flares.
#44 Edited by fisk0 (3989 posts) -

Sin.

Also, the F.E.A.R. games. Edit: I did mention Haze as a broken but somewhat interesting game here first, but thinking about it -- no, it does some stuff so incredibly wrong I couldn't really recommend it for the few strenghts it has. Just got flashbacks to missions I'd never ever want to experience again, and nobody else should either. Sorry about that. If you count third person shooters, Spec Ops: The Line still holds as a game that while also busted, did most of the things Haze tried to do, and even at it's lowest points, it wasn't THAT bad. Third person though.

I would of course recommend both the System Shock games if they were legally available at near reasonable prices anywhere, but while great games, I don't think they're worth as much as some people on ebay and amazon charge for them, especially when the developers don't get a dime of that. It's always worth looking through bargain bins in stores though - I did find my copy of System Shock 1 that way, be it almost 10 years ago, but still after it was long out of print. I'm sure that somewhere there is a store with an old dusty copy of System Shock 2 still on a shelf unsold as neither the store owners nor their general customers have any idea of what it is.

#45 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

The first Bioshock hands down. The twist was such a mindfuck, although the ending is such a letdown.

As for modern I'd say Spec Ops: The Line. It's ungodly brutal.

#46 Posted by BeachThunder (11799 posts) -

@joshthebear said:

As for modern I'd say Spec Ops: The Line. It's ungodly brutal.

Wait, isn't Spec Ops: The Line a TPS?

#47 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

Bioshock is probably a safe answer. I think Half Life 2 is vastly overrated, but it's still totally fine. Really, anything that anyone has said in this thread probably is ok.

#48 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Resistance 3 (the first two really aren't necessary) and Bioshock would be my recommendations.

#49 Posted by fisk0 (3989 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

Bioshock is probably a safe answer. I think Half Life 2 is vastly overrated, but it's still totally fine. Really, anything that anyone has said in this thread probably is ok.

Unless they read it before I edited my Haze post. Really sorry about that, nobody should have to endure that game, even if it has rare interesting moments.

#50 Posted by Morriana (11 posts) -

If you haven't already played it yet I recommend Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and the sequel Call of Pripyat. Both have a unique atmosphere to them and intriguing game-play in terms of a open world to explore and interact in as well as realistic gunplay.

Metro 2033 is also great fun too, albeit a heavily linear experience.