• 171 results
pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl

Or PS3, I could hear an argument for both of them. But with the logic ''which console has the most greatest games of all time?'' as stated in last week's bombcast, the 360 (or PS3) wins without even breaking a sweat.

I mean, Jeff was arguing for the genesis with heavy hitters such as Sonic, golden axe and tojam and earl. Without those rose tinted nostalgia glasses on how do they compare to

Half life 2, Half life 2 ep 1 and ep 2

Portal 1 and 2

Left for dead 2

Mass effect 1, 2 and 3

Oblivion and Skyrim

Halo 3 and reach

The witcher 2

Fallout 3 and New Vegas

GTA 4 and 5

Batman arkam asylum and arkam city

Red dead redemption

Bastion

Braid

Shadow complex

Geometry wars

super meat boy

The walking dead

Gears of war 1, 2 and 3

Saints row 3 and 4

Bioshock and Bioshock infinite

Borderlands 1 and 2

Deus Ex human revolution

Xcom: ennemy unknown

Burnout paradise

The Forzas

CoD 4, MW2 and BlOps

Minecraft

Terraria

Dark souls

Tales of Vesperia

Dragon age 1 and 2

Dead rising 1 and 2

Viva pinata

Assassin's creed 2, brotherhood and 4

and countless others.

Even if I like super mario world and a link to the past as much as the next guy I can't really see the SNES library standing up agains such a barrage of great huge games. Same goes for the PS1 library.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger
Loading Video...

360 was the worst console I've owned, and I've owned almost all of them including the Lynx

Live Gold killed that console for me, and the complete lack of even one exclusive game I gave a damn about made sure I almost never turned that console on except for the first month I had it to try and find out how disappointing Kinect was.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of these are multiplatform and better on the PC...

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

You forgot Banjo Kazooie: N&B. One of the systems best games, IMO. And Castlevania LoS.

But yeah it had a pretty good damn lineup. The PS3's was equally as impressive, though it did have a few critically acclaimed series that I found a little dull like Uncharted and God of War. But it had other great games that I loved, mostly on the Japanese side which I welcomed with open arms haha

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I would rather say its a good Console but not the best one.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hatking

I think it's absurd to sit here and make that decision today. That's like walking out of a theater and claiming that it was the best movie you ever saw. You need time to digest sweeping claims like this. What games are going to be meaningful to you in five years? Ten?

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry dude but this is a pretty good argument right here. 360 was pretty cool too though... I guess.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TowerSixteen
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

For me personally it is the PS3. But the PS2 is a close second.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By TheMasterDS

In a panel setting I would support the Xbox 360 for best console ever because I don't think N64 could ever win. N64 had the Banjos, Majoras Mask, Paper Mario. It also had the games that defined what 3D gaming could be. If Xbox 360 couldn't win I'd back SNES I guess since that would also be a strong movement and I do love me 3 of the 5 games I had for it. As well as as Chrono Trigger and Earthbound since.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some might even argue for

No Caption Provided
strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By strainedeyes

Take that list, swap all the first party games for Sony's first party games (Last of Us, inFamous, Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, etc..) and you may be onto something.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ps1

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I wouldn't even put the 360 in the top ten.

Like, isn't it just a box to play less laggy Call of Duty?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Your looking at the NES, PS1 or PS2.

Avatar image for midnightsandwich
midnightsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best console has to be control + shift + c.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best console ever is between the PS2 and the SNES.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are two great consoles no doubt. But if you are talking actually qualitative "greatest" then saying anything besides the SNES or PS1 almost seems irresponsible. Also if you don't think that your "rose-tinted glasses" argument will apply to these consoles down the line then you're crazy.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnomeonfire said:

Some might even argue for

No Caption Provided

You mean:

No Caption Provided

:P

I can confirm that this is the correct answer, I looked in my AV cabinet to be sure.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Brendan

I think it almost has to be the snes, but I could see arguments for the PS1 or PS2.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't make me choose man. I had some amazing times on the SNES playing repetitive, derivative, and even games that I can tell are straight up bad now but I loved them at the time. As well as games like Zombies Ate My Neighbors, NBA Jam, and other lesser known classics.

Then there's the PS1, and PS2 to consider. I couldn't decide but the last generation was definitely strong.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS2 is the greatest console. Everything else is false.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pffft ... Pc has most of them

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Illuminosopher

I don't think there is a greatest console but if you could somehow argue that there was it wouldn't be the 360 ... sorry

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Here comes a new challenger!
Here comes a new challenger!

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if they do the games of the ganeration stuff it be cool but i think they need to do this near the end of 2014 not now there still some game coming to curent gen even if only one comes to mind that has a real shot ( Dark Souls 2 )

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pyrodactyl

@aetheldod said:

Pffft ... Pc has most of them

''most'' being the key word in that sentence.

@johncallahan said:

They are two great consoles no doubt. But if you are talking actually qualitative "greatest" then saying anything besides the SNES or PS1 almost seems irresponsible. Also if you don't think that your "rose-tinted glasses" argument will apply to these consoles down the line then you're crazy.

I need a list because a can't think of more than a handful of games that still stand up today on both these consoles.

Maybe it's not fair to compare modern games with the weird shit we though was good a decade ago but it's much fairer than trying to compare one bullshit nostagic memory with another.

Also I tottaly agree that the "rose-tinted glasses" argument will apply to these consoles down the line but if it does than we'll just have found a better console to crown best console of all time.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nah, the Playstation 2 is probably my choice.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a discussion like this, isn't whether or not the game can be played elsewhere sort of a big sticking point? If you're looking at the overall library of a console to judge it against others, doesn't the fact that 90% of the entire library of games on the PS3 and 360 can be played on other devices (in many cases in a more stable and better looking state on PC) sort of disqualifies the whole thing? When you look at systems like the SNES, PS1, N64, and PS2, the majority of the amazing games that define those systems were only available on that console alone.

If you want to say that generation 7 is among the best in terms of quality games, there is certainly an argument to be made, but neither the PS3 or especially the 360 have anywhere near the library of exclusive games to be able to compete with some of the amazing exclusive libraries of other consoles.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

that's a lot of Multiplatform games.

It's a solid entry level system, but a lot of mistakes have been made along it's time that its last 3 years have been rather painful compared to a small laptop.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Flappy

Nope! PS2 wins!

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playstation 1 is my choice. I have maybe slightly more nostalgia for the NES, but overall I think the greatest console of all time is the PS1, at that time no one could challenge it.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pyrodactyl

@alexandersheen said:

@crithon said:

It's a solid entry level system, but a lot of mistakes have been made along it's time that its last 3 years have been rather painful compared to a small laptop.

Wonder how much of these game would've ever come out as PC exclusives. My guess: around 0. Having fun with red dead redemption, GTA 5 and Halo yet? Maybe MGS 4, Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls and the last of us? I guess you're too busy waiting for weeks, months or years for amazing games that already came out on platforms where you know they'll work 100% of the time. Or are you just looking at that giant steam library of games you'll never play but bought anyway because they were on sale?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Were you like ten or so when the 360 and PS3 came out?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#39  Edited By Hailinel

@kadash299 said:

@alexandersheen said:

@crithon said:

Wonder how much of these game would've ever come out as PC exclusives. My guess: around 0. Having fun with red dead redemption, GTA 5 and Halo yet? Maybe MGS 4, Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls and the last of us? I guess you're too busy waiting for weeks, months or years for amazing games that already came out on platforms where you know they'll work 100% of the time. Or are you just looking at that giant steam library of games you'll never play but bought anyway because they were on sale?

You're demonstrating an incredible lack of maturity here. I imagine that you're a teenager and were perhaps eight or nine when the 360 first launched. Was it your first console or your second?

The 360 has its ups, but its downs cannot be understated, and its downs are more damning for the fact that other hardware of the same generation did not suffer many of the same issues. At the top of the list are the gross number of hardware failures and the awkward flailing of Kinect. The numerous revamps of the UI, culminating in something that seems more like a billboard than dashboard, and that is plodding to navigate, suggesting that it was optomized for more powerful hardware than that inside the 360. The fact that its controllers require AA batteries or battery packs, rather than feature a more easily rechargeable internal battery. The fact that third-party online subscription services are barricaded behind Microsoft's own subscription gold service. And so on.

The Xbox 360 is a decent console, assuming that you didn't get a malfunctioning RROD box (or two, or seven). But it was no PlayStation 2 or SNES.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By crithon

@pyrodactyl: No that's not the case, just listing off titles really doesn't really show why the system was a success as it was. Rock Band's storefront and ability to buy songs in other games is a best example of why the system worked so well.

It's just that microsoft changed perspective on what is the core focus of the system and then made some horrible choices to make it even more difficult to make it work for both players and developers. Like 15 bucks for a L4D2 update, Minecraft water down, and Super Meat Boy not being marketed on summer of arcade are ridiculous considering how much freedom developers are given just on other platforms.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By senrat

I REALLY enjoyed my 360. I got it a year after it came out and was completely stoked to play oblivion. I have endless memories of awesome online moments in party chat playing call of duty and all sorts of games. Of course I probably play my PS3 more now because it has more games I want to play nowadays. That doesn't take away how awesome the 360 was for about 4 years after it came out. I wouldn't say its the best, but it was certainly one of my favorites.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SNES, NES and PS2 are much better systems than the 360 I'm sorry OP. Just Super Mario Bros 1 & 3 make strong arguments for being better than anything that's ever come out for the 360.And Jeff knows the SNES was better than the Genesis, and has admitted so, but he was a Genesis kid and his heart is with that console.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Let's not be fucking crazy here.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or PS3, I could hear an argument for both of them. But with the logic ''which console has the most greatess games of all time?'' as stated in last week's bombcast, the 360 (or PS3) wins without even breaking a sweat.

I mean, Jeff was arguing for the genesis with heavy hitters such as Sonic, golden axe and tojam and earl. Without those rose tinted nostalgia glasses on how do they compare to

Half life 2, Half life 2 ep 1 and ep 2

Portal 1 and 2

Left for dead 2

Mass effect 1, 2 and 3

Oblivion and Skyrim

Halo 3 and reach

The witcher 2

Fallout 3 and New Vegas

GTA 4 and 5

Batman arkam asylum and arkam city

Red dead redemption

Bastion

Braid

Shadow complex

Geometry wars

super meat boy

The walking dead

Gears of war 1, 2 and 3

Saints row 3 and 4

Bioshock and Bioshock infinite

Borderlands 1 and 2

Deus Ex human revolution

Xcom: ennemy unknown

Burnout paradise

The Forzas

CoD 4, MW2 and BlOps

Minecraft

Terraria

Dark souls

Tales of Vesperia

Dragon age 1 and 2

Dead rising 1 and 2

Viva pinata

Assassin's creed 2, brotherhood and 4

and countless others.

Even if I like super mario world and a link to the past as much as the next guy I can't really see the SNES library standing up agains such a barrage of great huge games. Same goes for the PS1 library.

which bombcast was this like the date

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

SmithCommaJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SmithCommaJohn

The one that I grew up with and therefore have the fondest memories of.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

THE VIRTUAL BOY

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SNES, NES and PS2 are much better systems than the 360 I'm sorry OP. Just Super Mario Bros 1 & 3 make strong arguments for being better than anything that's ever come out for the 360.And Jeff knows the SNES was better than the Genesis, and has admitted so, but he was a Genesis kid and his heart is with that console.

SMB 1 is only great because it was the first SMB game. There's nothing fantastic about it except the music. If you're talking about cultural impact it doesn't even come close to something like CoD 4.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By Atlas

Yeah, Xbox 360 is probably my favourite game console I've ever owned, in terms of the amount of quality games that I played on the system. That's a very personal experience for me though, and I had a fairly ideal experience with the system - I bought one in '07, after the hardware issues were mostly ironed out, and I didn't have a good PC...until 2010, which is around when the system started getting bloated and going downhill. I also never owned a SNES, PS1, or a PS2 (I had a Mega Drive, a Nintendo 64, and a GameCube), so take that for what you will.

This is such a weird debate anyway; a lot of people in this thread are bringing up the third-party heavy nature of the 360's library, and the strong first-party SNES games, but that was just a totally different time in the industry. Games that were released on SNES and Mega Drive were sometimes completely different games, so multi-platform in the modern sense didn't really exist in that era - look at the qualitative difference between Mortal Kombat 1 on SNES and the game on Mega Drive.

I think you can have the debate about 360 as one of the great consoles, but I think these debates always include a pretty hefty amount of nostalgia, and most people writing about games on the internet are the right age for SNES to be the system they grew up with. I'm not saying that the 360 is undoubtedly the best system ever, but just because PS2 and SNES are the easy answers, doesn't necessarily mean that they're the right answers, especially in a debate where there is inherently no one right answer.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

SMB 1 is only great because it was the first SMB game. There's nothing fantastic about it except the music. If you're talking about cultural impact it doesn't even come close to something like CoD 4.

I seriously beg to differ on all of that.