• 66 results
SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SpencerTucksen

There are numerous games I could include for best ending, in my opinion. The InFamous games, BioShocks, Assassin's Creed: Revelations (very underrated, but satisfying ending), God of War III, Arkham City....the list goes on. However, I vote Red Dead Redemption. It was so perfect, to me. At first I was like "FUCK, why?! WHY?!" but then, upon thinking about it, it was absolutely perfect. My complete opinions and reason for choosing Red Dead Redemption is in the spoiler tag. But anyway, what is your favorite ending to a game and why?

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#2  Edited By DonutFever

Portal 2, Arkham City, Persona 3, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, and out of all the crazy Professor Layton twist endings, Unwound Future is the best.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

Digital Devil Saga 2

sooooo crazy

YES ME, THE HERMAPHRODITIC CONJOINING OF SERPH AND SARA AND THE DATA OF OUR FRIENDS ARE ON THE DIGITAL SUN HAVE JUST BEATEN THE INFINITE GOD AND NOW ME AND THIS MAGICAL FUCKING CAT THAT TURNS INTO ME WILL NOW BE AWESOME GODS EVERYWHERE AND WE WILL MAKE THE SUN STOP TRANSFERRING EARTH'S DATA TO IT OR SOMETHING

love that game

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By TehFlan
WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By WightnNerdy

I personally thought Braid's ending was absolutely incredible.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpencerTucksen
@TehFlan said:
Conduit 2 
Holy shit. Point made and received. 

@DonutFever said:
Portal 2, Arkham City, Persona 3, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, and out of all the crazy Professor Layton twist endings, Unwound Future is the best.
Portal 2, I forgot about. That was a perfect ending that was so creative. The fact you kind of end up feeling for GlaDos  for much of the game was a big surprise for me. The ending was, again, great though.
SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpencerTucksen
@Bulby33 said:
I personally thought Braid's ending was absolutely incredible.
I liked it, and thought it was a very smart ending.  So many great endings to choose from, I think it's impossible to really just choose ONE.
Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By connerthekewlkid

i thought the bayonetta ending was pretty crazy

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By tescovee

I thought the end of Enslaved was pretty good. Don't know if i am the minority on that tho. sure the game play was a bit wonky but Its one of the best story driven games I have played in a long long time.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By BaneFireLord

I also liked the RDR ending, but for a completely different reason than the OP. 

theredcoat24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By theredcoat24

I loved Red Dead Repremtions too, it seems... so poetic and Shakespearean. Like it was the only way to end the era.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikeGosot
SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpencerTucksen
@BaneFireLord said:

Valid point. I over-think things in games and movies, so that was my reason. Also, I shot like every one of those dudes, but no matter what, you can't prevent it. Lol 

@tescovee said:

I thought the end of Enslaved was pretty good. Don't know if i am the minority on that tho. sure the game play was a bit wonky but Its one of the best story driven games I have played in a long long time.

My opinions on the game exactly. The combat was VERY weird, and sub-par, for me. But the platforming was plenty good and the story was stellar. Andy Serkis' acting work was stellar, as per usual. I still recommend it to friends saying this "The combat is a bit odd, for the most part. However, you'll keep going because the story pulls you in, which makes it worth a look." and they wound up enjoying it. Too bad more people didn't end up buying it.
SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Before I had watched that many mafioso movies, Mafia was a genius game with an amazing ending.

The game was full of mobster cliches and typical things you'd find in a mobster film, but I played it well before I had seen any of that (I was also pretty young). So the ending was really impactful for me.

Your best friend getting killed by your own mob family and having to kill your other best friend at the end was a mindfuck for me.

Then Mafia 2 came out and you find out who killed your character in Mafia 1. It was cool at first, but also annoying that the awesome Tommy Angelo was killed by two immature kids trying to be big bad mobster men.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpencerTucksen

It's so cliched, but I still loved that game. On a side-note, I think I'm the only person who loved The Warriors being both a prequel and a re-telling of the film. It was amazing. And on an even further to the side note, I feel I'm in the minority of people who thoroughly enjoyed the Godfather game.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Canteu

Nier. Motherfucker deletes your save, it's just that much of an ending.

The final ending that is of course.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpencerTucksen
@Canteu said:

Nier. Motherfucker deletes your save, it's just that much of an ending.

The final ending that is of course.

I never actually played it, sadly. Worth a play, I assume? do tell me about the game since I don't know dick about it. I just heard that it was an okay game, and I don't have the money to spend on "okay" games. Didn't care to get too many details on it, either.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Jeust

Silent Hill 2: In The Water ending is heartbreakingly sad.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zombie2011

I thought the Halo: Reach ending was perfect for that game, and Bungies note to the fans at the end was a great touch.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tescovee

@SpencerTucksen said:

My opinions on the game exactly. The combat was VERY weird, and sub-par, for me. But the platforming was plenty good and the story was stellar. Andy Serkis' acting work was stellar, as per usual. I still recommend it to friends saying this "The combat is a bit odd, for the most part. However, you'll keep going because the story pulls you in, which makes it worth a look." and they wound up enjoying it. Too bad more people didn't end up buying it.

It was a pretty amazing thing, the facial movement and the character gesticulations were spot on... Trip reminded me of jade from beyond good and evil which also had a pretty good but short ending. Two games that I think will never have a sequel that sees the light of day.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Canteu

@SpencerTucksen: honestly, it's not an easy game to reccommend.

Takes forever to get going and if you want all of the endings you have to play through the second half 4 times.

The story and characters are fantastic however and the voice acting and music is probably my favourite of this gen.

Combat is very average in quality.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpencerTucksen
@zombie2011 said:

I thought the Halo: Reach ending was perfect for that game, and Bungies note to the fans at the end was a great touch.

I don't own an Xbox,only a PS3. I would have loved to play everything after Halo 2 (had the original Xbox), but sadly, I haven't. 

@Jeust said:

Actually played that game, and I must say....it was depressing as fuck. Depressing, but fantastic.
MSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By MSG

Recently: Bastion and Portal 2.

All time: I'm quite partial to the 2008 Prince of Persia. It was an incredibly bold choice on the part of the developer. The ending itself is beautifully bittersweet.

The Prince (and player) is forced to free the dark force he's spent the entire game struggling to seal away in order to revive the woman he loves. The game ends with the Prince somberly walking away, carrying a limp Elika, as darkness pours out of the temple behind him.
SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SpencerTucksen

Well, Beyond Good and Evil 2 is being made, so...there's that! However, Enslaved failed, and will most assuredly not get a sequel. Really a shame because if they would have made the controls a bit less wonky, it could have been great.

overjoyedpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By overjoyedpants
Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Canteu said:

Takes forever to get going and if you want all of the endings you have to play through the second half 4 times.

The story and characters are fantastic however and the voice acting and music is probably my favourite of this gen.

It's not so bad, you do start partway through for subsequent playthroughs and can get to the end in an hour or so once you know what you're doing. It is quite hard to recommend though, yeah, without knowing who you are talking to. I would say go for it though - it managed to touch my heart a little, Kainé is possibly one of my favourite characters ever, the story is great once it's all in place and some of the boss battles are incredible. Just don't bother doing most of the sidequests because there's no reason for them to even be there and the grind slog they ask of you might sour you to everything else.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MiniPato

In world of cliffhangers and sequel teasers, Portal 2 had the best ending I've ever seen in a long while.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpencerTucksen
@Canteu said:

Well, I think I'll give it a look. It's in the bargain bins anyway, so if I get a job, I could snag it for maybe 15 bucks. I'm willing to play through mediocre combat to enjoy a good story any day. 

@MSG said:

All time: I'm quite partial to the 2008 Prince of Persia. It was an incredibly bold choice on the part of the developer. The ending itself is beautifully bittersweet.

That was pretty great, in my opinion. I love when developers do something bold. Again returning to RDR, most fans were pissed about the ending, but I appreciated that they wanted to weave a great story, regardless of what the casual fan would see. Bold choices are great and further the evolution of gaming, to me.
SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpencerTucksen
@MiniPato said:

In world of cliffhangers and sequel teasers, Portal 2 had the best ending I've ever seen in a long while.

@overjoyedpants said:

how have we got this far and no one has mentioned mgs: snake eater

Valid choice, I would say, as well. 

@drag said:

@Canteu said:

It's not so bad, you do start partway through for subsequent playthroughs and can get to the end in an hour or so once you know what you're doing. It is quite hard to recommend though, yeah, without knowing who you are talking to. I would say go for it though - it managed to touch my heart a little, Kainé is possibly one of my favourite characters ever, the story is great once it's all in place and some of the boss battles are incredible. Just don't bother doing most of the sidequests because there's no reason for them to even be there and the grind slog they ask of you might sour you to everything else.

As mentioned to Canteu, I am thinking I'll give it a go if I get some extra money on my hands. I'll play through mediocre combat for a great story.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Jeust

@SpencerTucksen said:

@zombie2011 said:

I don't own an Xbox,only a PS3. I would have loved to play everything after Halo 2 (had the original Xbox), but sadly, I haven't.

@Jeust said:

Actually played that game, and I must say....it was depressing as fuck. Depressing, but fantastic.

That ending is such that it is just perfect for way the plot evolves, and for the twists it presents.

Deadly Premonition is the only game that got to me in the same level as SH2's ending did. Such a sad and surprising ending at the same time.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Drebin_893

I'm going to be crazy and say MGS4.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#32  Edited By psykhophear
SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpencerTucksen
@Drebin_893 said:

I'm going to be crazy and say MGS4.

I'm surprised no one else mentioned it. Lol
EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By EmuLeader

Portal 2, RDR, and Halo: Reach are some of my favorites. As for Halo, I think they made it really cool how your character dies. They could have just shown the planet getting completely glassed and it being the end, but having you play through your death was a good way to do it. The only bad thing was that it is kinda weird how that damage stuff never happens to you throughout the game, but because its the end, your suit suddenly starts to actually receive and show damage. Didn't stop the ending from making a strong impact though.

nodachie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By nodachie

Portal.

You get rewarded with that amazing song.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gruff182

A less obvious one would be Hitman: Blood Money.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By Sooperspy

Red Dead Redemption.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mmmslash

Shadow of the Colossus, times infinity.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By nintendoeats

New as it is, Bastion deserves a mention. I think that will continue to be true after the zeitgeist surrounding it has passed.

Nothing else really jumps out at me. I think that game storytelling has developed so quickly that there aren't very many "classic" endings to speak of.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sawtooth

@Jeust said:

That song is awesome too.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By UltimAXE

@MSG said:

The Prince (and player) is forced to free the dark force he's spent the entire game struggling to seal away in order to revive the woman he loves. The game ends with the Prince somberly walking away, carrying a limp Elika, as darkness pours out of the temple behind him.

Totally agree with you on PoP 2k8. But then you do something dumb and decide to buy and play the epilogue which just completely ruins it with a really shitty cliff hanger. Damn, what a waste of money that was.

I really wasn't that amazed by Bastion's ending specifically, but a certain section right before it struck me as being quite incredible.

My favorite ending to a game ever, though, would have to be Final Fantasy 9. It's just . . . so goddamn happy.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By strainedeyes

@BaneFireLord said:

The final shootout between Jack and Edgar Ross had an absolutely sublime catharsis to it, especially considering that I buttonmashed my way through the quick draw and ended up plugging the guy with about 200 bullets. Also, the ending title card is utterly incredible.

What's crazy to me about that ending is I bet a large percentage of the people who 'beat' the game never even saw it. You get no quest marker or any real indication that there is more to the story.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43  Edited By Yanngc33
Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Gemini Rue.

I recently finished it and the twist at the climax was amazing. It really puts the player on the spot and it was the one thing about it I did not expect at all. The ending definitely succeeds in bringing it home, too. The dialogue was so succinct and deep with regards to the central conflict of the game that it left a profound impression on me. Not to mention the music was amazing. They succeeded in giving it a very theatrical, fittingly neo-noir conclusion even with their use of sprites, something I would've thought was previously impossible.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EvilTwin

Portal 2.

That just happened.

MSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By MSG

@UltimAXE: I'm just going to forget that the epilogue even exists.

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By Hadoken101

This topic reminded me just how bummed I am that the Bombsquad totally forgot about the Best Ending 2011 category. So many GREAT endings last year with stuff like Arkham City and Portal 2.

siddarth0605

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By siddarth0605

Metal Gear Solid 3 was in my opinion one of the best endings regardless of medium. The twist at the end was not only shocking but emotional and touching and powerful and unlike other MGS games it earns it

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HisDudeness

@siddarth0605 said:

Metal Gear Solid 3 was in my opinion one of the best endings regardless of medium. The twist at the end was not only shocking but emotional and touching and powerful and unlike other MGS games it earns it

This.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SpencerTucksen
@Geo7877 said:

@BaneFireLord said:

What's crazy to me about that ending is I bet a large percentage of the people who 'beat' the game never even saw it. You get no quest marker or any real indication that there is more to the story.

I know! A lot of people saw that and quit, only to never realize what the true ending was, and it was very satisfying. Single-handedly made me love the game again.