• 78 results
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tunaburn

I am pretty broke these days. So i have been playing a lot of free to play games. I play Dota 2 almost every day. I love that game. I tried Planetside 2 but i couldnt figure it out i guess because it seems really dull. League of Legends was alright for a while and Super Monday Night Combat was great while it lasted but noone plays anymore.

What are your guys favorite F2P games? Id love to try some more.

My top 3 are:

Dota 2

Smite

League of Legends

(i know they are all 3 mobas but lots of F2P games seem to be)

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
The Lord of the Rings Online is the one I can recommend.

It's not for everyone but if you like these type of mmo's there's basically nothing the game withholds from you if you work for it. You can earn store currency by 'grinding' deeds (kill 30 goblins! Use a skill several times! Beat a dungeon! Complete X quests in Y zone!) and there's promotions and sales every few weeks. I put in a lot of time and I have every zone, skirmish and instance unlocked right now. But, honesty permits me, the game is getting older and when you've played a MMO like Guild Wars which does a lot of things good, for free after the buy, these things become noticeable! Still an amazing game however!
Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#3  Edited By Kidavenger

TF2 and LoL

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By bishna

My favorite free to play game of all time, and currently my favorite multiplayer game is Super Monday Night Combat. It is a hybrid of a MOBA and a 3rd person shooter. It is really fun. I tried LOL and DOTA 2 but thought they were waaaaaay to slow. SMNC is so much faster and I love it.

oldjack327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By oldjack327

I second Super Monday Night Combat. That game kicks ass.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By captain_max707

League all the way.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tunaburn

@Bishna: i listed super monday night combat. but almost noone plays anymore. its not even on the 100 most played steam games anymore. which means it has under 1000 players playing. pretty sad.

@TaliciaDragonsong: maybe ill check it out then

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jrinswand

TF2, LotRO, Tribes: Ascend, and LoL. Star Trek Online is fun for a while as well.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tunaburn

@Jrinswand: i really dont understand the love for tf2. ive played it many times. have it on my computer. i cant friggin get into it. it just... its just not fun to me. i really wish it was because so many people love it.i feel like im missing something.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TehPickle

I'm in the closed beta for Path of Exile, which is really very good even at this stage. It moves to open beta Jan 23rd.

I really recommend taking a look come then...

At the very least, take a look at the passive skill tree if you haven't already seen it. It's immense: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tunaburn

@TehPickle: its only $10 to get in the beta and you get some microtransaction points.

Is this game like diablo? Thats what it looks like.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By rentfn

TF2 is really fun. I didn't mind DC Online but I'm sure its not for everyone or even a few people.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tunaburn

@rentfn said:

I didn't mind DC Online but I'm sure its not for everyone or even a few people.

hahahhahhaa... i dont think many people play that anymore

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rentfn

@tunaburn: I haven't played it in a few months but I played it a few times a week for half a year. I went back when it was free and it was still ok. I'm sure it's a barren wilderness now...might not be very fun.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By themangalist

I have to mention Tremulous wherever I can. Playing Natural Selection 2 just reminds me of how much fun that free-to-play no pay-to-win marines vs. aliens game is. The atmosphere is top-notch.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By shiftymagician
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tunaburn

@ShiftyMagician: i didnt like mechwarrior. its so slow paced. i prefer Hawken over it. Except hawken has the most ridiculous in game currency system. It would take hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours to build one mech fully. i dont got that kinda time. unfortunately some people apparently do.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By shiftymagician

@tunaburn said:

@ShiftyMagician: i didnt like mechwarrior. its so slow paced. i prefer Hawken over it. Except hawken has the most ridiculous in game currency system. It would take hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours to build one mech fully. i dont got that kinda time. unfortunately some people apparently do.

Shame that you aren't into the game due to pacing, as being slow-paced is kind of the point in a game that is meant to be a fake simulator of giant mechs that weigh tons. I love playing games with a slow pace from time to time myself.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FrankieSpankie

Tribes Ascend needs more mentions! I think it's the best F2P game out there although I haven't had much of a chance to play Planetside 2. Planetside 2 is really the only game that I haven't played that I think could beat out Tribes Ascend for best F2P game.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tunaburn

@ShiftyMagician: it just felt like it ended up being me standing there shooting at someone else just standing there. could be i just suck at the game.

@FrankieSpankie: i will download tribes then. planetside seems cool but holy shit its confusing. like really really confusing.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Terramagi

DotA 2

Tribes: Ascend

Planetside 2

Maybe TF2 if you count it but fuck you I paid 20 bucks for the Orange Box in 2007.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tunaburn

@Terramagi: i play so much dota 2. i didnt like planetside. and i just checked tribes. it looks pretty empty now. one major drawback to liking online games. the player base always eventually moves on.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TehPickle

@tunaburn said:

@TehPickle: its only $10 to get in the beta and you get some microtransaction points.

Is this game like diablo? Thats what it looks like.

Yeah its a Diablo type affair. The micotransactions within the closed beta have felt extremely fair. Just extra character slots (i think you start with 5 or 6 slots), and shared inventory space.

It's the level of customisation that really sets it apart. All skills are usable by all classes if you spec correctly, so you can have a character that does whatever you want it to (within reason).

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By butano

Tribes would probably be my favorite. I thought Smite was pretty fun, and I usually dislike MOBAs.

Age of Empires Online is kinda neat, if you're into RTS games. The social hub is a little odd, but the missions were very much like the Age of Empires of old.

Nikoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nikoran

TF2, Blacklight: Retribution, i'd say Tribes but that's very P2W now.

Avatar image for 1m4d34g4m3w1thz0mb13s
1m4d34g4m3w1thz0mb13s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Airmech

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By bibamatt

Yeah, Tribes. Tribes!

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gamefreak9

Dota 2 is F2P? can someone confirm? There's a price tag on steam.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Canteu

League of Legends.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#31  Edited By mcmax3000

I really like Super Monday Night Combat, but I've always been more of a console player, so I'm TERRIBLE with a keyboard, and mouse, so I don't play it nearly as much as I'd like to.

If that game was on 360, I'd play the crap out of it.

BamurDeadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BamurDeadd

League of Legends, S4 League (If that's your cup of tea), Blacklight Retribution (Nice shooter), Planetside 2, Forsaken World is also a nice LoL clone.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Christoffer

I try out a lot of F2P games but there's not many that've stuck with me. At the moment I play a bit of RaiderZ (action oriented MMORPG with Monster Hunter elements) and I find it quite fun. Maybe because it's not as deep as a normal MMO (I don't have the time for those) and the people I've teamed up with aren't assholes, believe it or not. Can't say if I should recommend it or not.

I used to play a lot of TF2 but not anymore, I have a hard time getting into matches with people who cares.

I also tried out Planetside 2 for a while which was great at the start. But, yeah, it became dull very fast. Because there's no real end I felt there were no risk and no stakes at play.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tunaburn

@gamefreak9 said:

its free to play. but its in beta right now. i have like 8 extra keys though. they give so many to anyone playing.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#35  Edited By mcmax3000

@tunaburn said:

@gamefreak9 said:

its free to play. but its in beta right now. i have like 8 extra keys though. they give so many to anyone playing.

It sounds like how GMail ended up near the end of its beta. Seems like everyone in that beta always has extra keys.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TF2

Best F2P shooter without a doubt. And my personal favorite F2P game.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38  Edited By Giantstalker

Might as well put this here, I've got some DOTA 2 keys that I'll never use, send me a PM if you want one.

I played a few matches and didn't like it, however, its very popular amongst other people. Only way to know is to try.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cubidog1

Team Fortress 2 is my favorite. I haven't spent a single dollar and have got countless hours of fun out of TF2. I am tempted to buy a hat since I play on a server where we are all friends. I need a signature.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The only one I played for a while was Tribes Ascend. Should give that a try again soon on my new PC.

Looking forward to trying Planet Side 2 though and I'm liking Warframe so far.

Gave LoL a try and it wasn't for me.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Draxyle

I'm enjoying Planetside 2 a lot more than I thought I would, considering I don't particularly like FPS's or multiplayer shooters for that matter. The MMO like nature of it is still very fascinating to me (though maybe not to others who had already played the first Planetside). After spending a lot of time with it, the business model "feels" mostly fair to me as well.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ShockD

Depending on how you look at it, every game is a free game.
On a separate note - Team Fortress 2.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By chilibean_3

Shot Online

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Subjugation

I'd have to say Dota 2 and Planetside 2. Both take time to learn, but both are pretty rewarding once you get it down.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By tunaburn

@Subjugation: i play dota 2 almost every day. im just lookin for something else to play when im tired of it. i really couldnt get into planetside 2. i wandered around for 20 minutes looking for someone to shoot just to die instantly and start wandering around again.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BisonHero
@tunaburn

Yeah, Hawken is an...average amount of fun, but it's not compelling enough for me to grind for hundreds of hours OR send $10-$20 their way. Their game looks good and is playable, but I felt done with it after about 10-15 hours. The problem with F2P is that your game has to be fucking AWESOME and generate an obsessed community before you start getting consistent "tips", and Hawken is just so bland (and I think most of the maps are we're too vertical) that I don't see that happening.
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Subjugation

@tunaburn said:

@Subjugation: i play dota 2 almost every day. im just lookin for something else to play when im tired of it. i really couldnt get into planetside 2. i wandered around for 20 minutes looking for someone to shoot just to die instantly and start wandering around again.

Yeah, dota 2 is pretty great. About PS2, I can totally identify with what you describe. The best advice I can give is to try to deploy on the front lines or on a Sunderer that is deployed in the thick of battle. You also get an "instant action" deployment that has a cooldown, but it allows you to come flying into a battle hotspot via drop pod. Also, if you join up with a squad, the squad leader can deploy a spawn beacon that squad members can spawn on. Even with all of that said, the issue you describe is still completely valid.

What do you think of MMOs? Firefall is going to be f2p I believe, and I think I may have a beta key. I'm not sure though, so don't hold me to it.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tunaburn

@Subjugation: ive never heard of firefall. im not opposed to mmo's if they have something different from the typical WOW stuff.

someone else pointed out path of exile which comes out january 27th. it looks pretty intriguing.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kgb0515

I've had the most fun with Planetside 2 and Team Fortress 2 so far. Gotham City Imposters was ok for a bit, but then I started seeing a lot of stability problems, and couldn't get into a match for the life of me. It's quite likely that people in my area just stopped playing it. I generally suck at PC FPS games, but I do ok in Planetside 2. I usually just play medic and heal people or stay back and snipe. I haven't played enough to upgrade anything much, but it's fun.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Subjugation

@tunaburn: Check out some of the videos of it on the site. If you decide it is something you want to try out, I have one last beta key that I'll save for you.