Best Football Game Of All Time!

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ptys

With the World Cup on I've been hankering for a bit of soccer but have no idea what to play as I'm not really a long term fan. Tried FIFA World Cup 2010, which is okay but was wondering if it gets any better as there seem like alot of choices! Doesn't really matter which generation, but something at least the last 3 generations would be good.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Joshakazam

Don't confuse soccer and football.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ptys

Oh sorry, mean't the game where you use your "foot" to kick the "ball". Been around for a few hundred years I think?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio
@ptys said:
" Oh sorry, mean't the game where you use your "foot" to kick the "ball". Been around for a few hundred years I think? "
This picture comes to mind.......
No Caption Provided
Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Joshakazam

You do that in 2 different games.

That's why they named one of them football and the other Soccer.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ptys

Sorry, we call it Soccer (Aus/Nz) but I thought the Europeans on GB would get confused and considering it's their game, went for football. We call Rugby & AFL football down here so I guess it's where you come from. We call American football Gridiron FYI.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Joshakazam

Ah, i'm Australian too i just thought you were calling Soccer football.

Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Moth_Pope

I play a lot of football titles so I thought I'd offer my opinion to try and help out. My favourite football games had always been the Pro Evolution Soccer (Winning Eleven) series. PES 1-5 on the PS2 were amazing and, for me, 5 is where it really peaked. Everything about that game - minus some official licensing - was perfect, but since the jump to the current generation of consoles the series has really fallen behind. They feel incredibly dated now as they use the same 10-year-old engine and a lot of the same animations they've always used. Basically, they've released 5 PES games on the 360 and PS3 but haven't really moved on from the PS2 yet... I still continue to buy the new game each year as they are improving bit-by-bit, but at the same time it's gotten more dissapointing as it's gone on because of how dated they feel.

Saying that... PES2011 is actually looking really promising. They're updating the game engine and taken a lot of what FIFA has done correctly for the last few years and put it into their game. Seems they're finally making the jump to the current generation of consoles. If you don't mind waiting, I'd hold out for this.

If you have the World Cup itch now though, the best game available is probably FIFA10. I never really liked the series much but I bought FIFA10 last year and really enjoyed it. It get's a bit repetative but is probably the best game on the market right now. Either that or go buy Pro Evolution Soccer 5 on the PS2. It's old, but still quality.
andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By andrela

Fifa 98 on the n64 was pretty sweet

drjota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By drjota
@Moth_Pope: Agree completely.I wasted far too much time with my roommates on PES5.

As far as a good recent football game,FIFA 10's solid,especially if you're into the whole online aspect.Pro Evo 10's worth a look,but like Moth says it's just about the same as the earlier gen with a fresh coat of paint.There's Football Manager,don't know how many people are still going that route,I always found it a bit tedious.Other than that I guess you could always go back to Sensible Soccer??

EDIT:Just caught the PES2011 trailer.Looks impressive.If they have the Libertadores and Brasilian League,I am all for it.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jimbo

FIFA 10 sold 10 million copies, so I guess it isn't too bad.

American Football is merely a variation of Rugby, which is itself derived from Football (soccer); that's the only reason American Football it's known as 'Football' in the first place.  If American Football had been invented from scratch, nobody in their right mind would decide to name it 'Football'.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder
@Venatio said:
" @ptys said:
" Oh sorry, mean't the game where you use your "foot" to kick the "ball". Been around for a few hundred years I think? "
No Caption Provided
"
Whoever made that image clearly doesn't know much about anatomy. That is not a hand.
Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ChickenPants

With sports games the latest iteration is usually the best bet.

FIFA 10 is as good as it get at the moment. Pro Evo is their only real competition and that is a shadow of its former self. 
During the last generation Pro Evo was the king of football games and FIFA was shit but there is a complete swing in that now.
Pro Evolution 6 is the greatest Pro Evo game. I wouldn't go any further back than that if you're looking for your fix.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Joshakazam
@BeachThunder said:
" @Venatio said:
" @ptys said:
No Caption Provided
"
Whoever made that image clearly doesn't know much about anatomy. That is not a hand. "
Well elbowegg doesn't sound very good does it?
Hats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hats

I think elbowegg rolls off the tongue better

and ya FIFA 10 is it for the new ones or maybe that crazy f2p football mmo comming out at some point

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Whisperkill

Super Bowl XLII

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers