• 75 results
MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Preferably on PC.

I just got a new machine put together and it should run anything out there atm, and I've been in the mood for a good FPS. I'd also like it if I can play it with a controller (I know, I know, save it). I've been really enjoying running my PC to my big TV and playing games while on my expensive recliner.

I've played most every FPS game in the past few years. The ones I've enjoyed the most were probably Battlefield type games (does BF4 still suck?), Planetside 2, etc.

Having said that, none of the above is a "must have." I also own a PS3, and an Xbox 360, so if there are any amazing shooters out on them right now, then sure, let me know.

Just wanted some opinions. Thanks in advance!

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Wolfenstein: New Order if you haven't played it yet

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By conker

Personally thought it was way overrated. I would wait for Desitny next Tuesday!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

Doom!

...all right, I'm kidding. Wolfenstein: The New Order is the best FPS released in the past few years. It is compatible with 360 controllers. I know it's third person, but Tomb Raider is also pretty good if you need more shooting stuff.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Justin258

@conker said:

@gaminghooligan said:

Not coming out on PC. EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read the whole post. Still, even after playing the beta I couldn't tell you if Destiny is going to be great or just really fucking boring. It could be either.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

Really depends what you're looking for. FPS hits so many different notes.

I thought Bioshock: Infinite was amazing, and I wasn't even a huge fan of the old ones.

Resistance 3 is one of my favorite PS3 games, I can tell you that. Gameplay, story, character, cool set pieces, atmosphere, has it all.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Doom!

I'M PRETENDING THE REST OF YOUR POST DOESN'T EXIST DOOM IS THE RIGHT ANSWER.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wolfenstein The New Order is probably the only real big FPS that's worth buying right now.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

Doom!

Doom is always the right answer.

But it seemed like the fellow was looking for something to stress his new machine and Wolfenstein is also a very, very good shooter, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conker said:

@gaminghooligan said:

Not coming out on PC. EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read the whole post. Still, even after playing the beta I couldn't tell you if Destiny is going to be great or just really fucking boring. It could be either.

Do you guys have any idea how well Destiny looks/plays on the PS3/Xbox 360? Is it acceptable? I haven't looked into it at all. I've only seen it on PS4/Xbox One. So I have no idea.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@mast: I played the beta on ps3 and it ran fine. Obviously it looked worse than the current gen versions, but still perfectly acceptable for ps3 graphics.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@punkxblaze said:

@believer258 said:

Doom!

But it seemed like the fellow was looking for something to stress his new machine and Wolfenstein is also a very, very good shooter, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

If that's the case, then Hard Reset.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Justin258

@mast said:
@believer258 said:

@conker said:

@gaminghooligan said:

Do you guys have any idea how well Destiny looks/plays on the PS3/Xbox 360? Is it acceptable? I haven't looked into it at all. I've only seen it on PS4/Xbox One. So I have no idea.

I played the beta version on PS3 and it looked fine. I had very little in the way of framerate problems and I'm real picky about framerates, so it seems fine on that front (though it's entirely possible that it gets worse later in the game). Some textures look muddy, but overall I'd say there's no problem with the PS3 version if you want to play it and don't have a PS4 or Xbox One yet.

EDIT: I can't stress enough that anyone on the fence about Destiny should wait, though. If the full game is structured exactly like the beta was, then that game is going to be one of the most boring shooters you could buy.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Corevi

Syndicate.

@mast Destiny looks fine and plays perfectly on PS3.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Justin258

@beachthunder said:

@believer258 said:

@punkxblaze said:

@believer258 said:

Doom!

I felt like Hard Reset needed twice the movement speed for the enemies it had. I couldn't get into that game, but some people loved it and it still looks pretty good so sure. It has controller support but it doesn't play too well with a controller in my experience.

EDIT: Shadow Warrior was made by the same people and I actually liked playing it, but I could never get it to run very well.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

@punkxblaze said:

@believer258 said:

Doom!

I've heard good things about Hard Reset, but yeah seems like Wolfenstein is a pretty safe bet right now. There's also the Metro Redux Bundle, if that style interests you.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BeachThunder

@believer258 said:

EDIT: Shadow Warrior was made by the same people and I actually liked playing it, but I could never get it to run very well.

Ah, I liked hard Reset a lot more than Shadow Warrior. I mean, I still liked Shadow Warrior, but I thought Hard Reset was better in every way.

Also, if you want a goofy fun FPS that definitely will not tax your system, I really enjoyed Rogue Shooter: The FPS Roguelike. It's definitely not for everyone, but it's the kind of game that really spoke to me. Also, there's some genuinely funny stuff in that game.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: @believer258:

I think I'm gonna buy Wolfenstein and Hard Reset (it's only 15 bucks anyway). I also forgot I had just bought Borderlands 2: Game of the Year a few weeks ago for cheap, and I've never played it. So between those 3 things, I should be occupied for a while. I'm going to wait a month or two before I get Destiny. Until reviews have come out and people have given it a fair shake. If everyone thinks it's good after that, then I'll buy it.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I read every one even if I didn't reply to them all. ;)

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing through Far Cry 3. That looks pretty darn good on PC (or so the Quick Look... looks).

Loading Video...

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfenstein The New Order is the best FPS right now. Nevermind the story, the level design, the health/armor mechanics, just the feeling of the weapons themselves is worth the purchase

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VUOLFENSTIEN!?!?

It's really god damn good.

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By syz

Quake Live.

The Destiny beta was the first time I've enjoyed a shooter since... Quake 3. So that, in a week.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blood dragon. Because why the hell not?

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Old School shooter? Quake Live
  • Shooter with RPG elements? Far Cry 3 or Destiny
  • Classic single player shooter? Wolfenstein The New Order
  • Close Quarters Multiplayer? CoD Black ops 2, Titanfall, or CoD Ghost
  • Long-range multiplayer? Battlefield 4
flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lovely Planet.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Team Fortress 2

Also, don't play it with a controller.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo 4, Halo: Reach, Far Cry 3.

Top 3 FPSs, in my experience (In that order).

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By handlas

No one will agree with me I'm sure but if you are looking for something relatively new...

Titanfall

The pilot parkour stuff is a lot of fun. And I think they just made a new game type where it is only pilots vs pilots (no dumb AI or Titans). The game would be better off without the AI guys running around distracting you.

Also the map packs they released, imo, contain maps that are all better than the ones that came with the game.

edit: And, oh yeah, Metro Redux just came out. I only played Last Light and enjoyed it quite a bit. Been thinking about picking up 2033... it's nice they are selling them separately as well.

GeneralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GeneralBison

I've been getting heavy into CS:GO lately... like harder than I ever have before. You forget how great that game is, just wish I had more people to play with.

Reddonkeyham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pvz garden warfare

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pvz garden warfare

Surely that would be more appropriate for a thread about third-person shooters.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfenstein: New Order, NEXT!

Also check out Painkiller, that shit's crazy.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By monetarydread

@beachthunder said:

@reddonkeyham said:

Pvz garden warfare

fps / tps are pretty much the same. You aim your reticle, push a button, then someone dies. Ultimately, PVZ is one of the best made shooters on PC and has a surprising amount of non-hardcore players. I love playing this game because I do not need to memorize every detail or play for a dozen hours a day to be competitive (priorities change when you are nearing 40 years old). I can just pick up a controller (even on PC), play for fifteen minutes, and feel like I accomplished something.

Edit: I haven't checked today, but yesterday Origin was selling Titanfall for 50% off.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Crembaw

Battlefield 4 has cleaned up pretty nicely.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By jkz

The Metro games are both fantastic and Metro Redux just came out. I haven't played Redux at all but Last Light and 2033 both looked (and still look) pretty incredible, both assets and art design wise, so I'd assume both the Redux versions do as well.

Not the best pure shooters on the market if you're looking to just shoot some dudes up (Wolfenstein is fantastic in that case), but if you're in for something more narrative driven I'd give those a shot. They're among my favorite FPS's of the last generation (although again, not talking mechanically here).

Also CS GO is the best fps out right now. Fight me.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#36 fisk0  Moderator

ok, Doom has been mentioned, and I'd say the source port Zandronum has pretty decent gamepad support, but Descent with DXX-Rebirth runs even better with a gamepad. Not quite as well as a real joystick would, but I prefer it over mouse and keyboard in that game.

Titanfall plays incredibly well with the gamepad, assuming you actually find any players to play with.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@beachthunder said:

@reddonkeyham said:

Pvz garden warfare

fps / tps are pretty much the same. You aim your reticle, push a button, then someone dies. Ultimately, PVZ is one of the best made shooters on PC and has a surprising amount of non-hardcore players. I love playing this game because I do not need to memorize every detail or play for a dozen hours a day to be competitive (priorities change when you are nearing 40 years old). I can just pick up a controller (even on PC), play for fifteen minutes, and feel like I accomplished something.

Edit: I haven't checked today, but yesterday Origin was selling Titanfall for 50% off.

It's all just left trigger right trigger shit.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasar7 said:

@monetarydread said:

@beachthunder said:

@reddonkeyham said:

Pvz garden warfare

It's all just left trigger right trigger shit.

Or if you're using a computer - it's just clicking your mouse. Therefore first-person shooters are one in the same with point and click adventures, hidden object games, and MOBAs...

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing a bunch of insurgency again lately which is like red orchestra 2 but Middle East modern setting plus a fun coop mode. Also, red orchestra 2, great ww2 game.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without a doubt CS:GO is the best FPS on the market, but it is 2014 so you probably already know how you feel about Counter Strike,

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Another vote for Battlefield 4 here.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The bugs in BF4 were half the problem... poor map design was the rest. Even if the game runs perfect nothing can hide how lame the core maps were. Seriously, the quickest example I can think of is the map with the big tower in the middle that can be blown up and.... yay another flat urban map! My other favourites are flat urban map, rainy boring urban map, open map near a dam with poor control point placement and flat design... I mean did the same guys who made Operation Metro, Caspian Border, Operation Firestorm and Damavand Peak make this game?

tl;dr -- Wolfenstein New Order is the game you want. It's brilliant... not flawless, but a lot of fun.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half Life 2 and its episodes , Stalker games , Metro game series , Quake 1 and 2 , Doom 1-2-3 , Hexen , heretic , Duke Nukem 3D

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#44  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Wolfenstein, fo show

strikeuno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If "out right now" means recent I'd go Wolfenstein without a doubt, I haven't been that invested in an FPS singleplayer campaign like that since Half-Life 2.

Avatar image for unstoppablebomb
UnstoppableBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me.. Crossfire, Half Life 2, Battle Field 4

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metro 2033 is my favorite FPS ever made. It has an amazing atmosphere, great graphics, a good story, great characters, a moral system - what more could you want from it? The sequel is also pretty good, but it doesn't top the first one in my eyes.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That no one has mentioned Bulletstorm thus far makes me a sad panda. I really enjoyed that game, it felt like what shooters from the late 90s/early 00s would've become if Call of Duty never existed. Good dumb fun.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By zenmastah

Right now?

New Order.

Awhile back?

Borderlands 2.

Way way back?

HL2.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

RIght now? Wolfenstein The new Order. It's an absolute blast.