• 160 results
#101 Posted by iceman228433 (572 posts) -

lost oddessy

#102 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -
#103 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

@Animasta: ::eyebrow raise:: You get the kids after the 2nd mission. It's like...3 or 4 hours in.

Cook and Mack are not 4 hours into the game. I'd say closer to 8-10. You get them near the end of disk one.

#104 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

Xenoblade Chronicles, for certain.

#105 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I have played almost every big name console JRPG this generation and quite a few niche PS3 ones and I gotta say the one of the few worth mentioning is Tales of Vesperia, and that one is very much worth it. Honorable mention to Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls because it doesn't have much of a story or characters by which to hang itself with (which is what FFXIII-2 did for me) and is just solid fun if you are into it's gameplay (which I assume many will not be as it is not particularly exciting)

What was my favourite genre in the past has quickly become one I have trouble getting behind because of characters and story just... not working for me anymore. I am really bummed about that.

#106 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@SuperWristBands: I loved vesperia until like 75% through, where it just became a generic JRPG again

#107 Posted by Rayeth (1021 posts) -
#108 Posted by MiniPato (2714 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

I'm going to go with Persona 4, because fuck it. It came out after Lost Odyssey anyway!

And people saying Vita is a next generation platform: What? It's on the market. That makes it current. It's even contemporary with Nintendo's handheld. You can't have devices out from all the major players and still call them next generation.

I love me Persona 4 Golden, but it just seems like a cop-out answer. It'd be like saying Batman Arkham City WiiU is one of the best superhero games of the next generation. Technically, neither statement is wrong, but the answers feel unsatisfactory to me. I don't know, personally I prefer to leave out re-releases when it comes to "best of" threads just because it makes for a more interesting discussion. AND BECAUSE ANY SANE PERSON WOULD.

BUT if I have to bring Persona 4 Golden into the mix, I will say I enjoyed FFXIII-2 more than Golden in terms of gameplay. Granted I haven't played too many JRPGs this generation as opposed to last. I'm going to blasphemize and say that Persona 4's core JRPG gameplay always felt more like a chore to get out of the way so I can get my social links on. Maybe that speaks more to me playing through P4 three times and P4G twice.

#109 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

is Dark Souls a JRPG?

#110 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@SuperWristBands: I loved vesperia until like 75% through, where it just became a generic JRPG again

Totally agree.

#111 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5160 posts) -

Pretty sure Xenoblade wins by miles, but since I don't have a Wii I guess I'd say FFXIII.

#112 Posted by pyrodactyl (1855 posts) -

Not Lost Odyssey or eternal sonata. One has boring ass combat and the other has a shit story and is to easy to be fun. Both are long and boring. Not Persona 4 because it would be to easy of an answer. Also, not this generation.

Tales of vesperia, resonance of fate, FF13-2 were pretty great so I would go with that.

Some of the ones out on the Wii might be good to. Not that me or most people cared, it's the fucking Wii after all...

#113 Posted by pyrodactyl (1855 posts) -

@YOU_DIED said:

is Dark Souls a JRPG?

nope, it's western RPG made in japan.

#114 Edited by Superkenon (1349 posts) -

The DS is chock-full of great JRPGs I don't even want to think about picking my favorite among them. Also, it's been around so long I'm not sure what "generation" it's in anyway.

Well, sticking strictly to consoles... I'm really tempted to say Xenoblade. So, yeah, Xenoblade. Screw rigorous thinking.

A lot of folks are saying Valkyria Chronicles. I think that's a fine choice, but is it really a JRPG? If so, would a Disgaea game belong in the category as well?

#115 Posted by Scrawnto (2432 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

@Scrawnto said:

I'm going to go with Persona 4, because fuck it. It came out after Lost Odyssey anyway!

And people saying Vita is a next generation platform: What? It's on the market. That makes it current. It's even contemporary with Nintendo's handheld. You can't have devices out from all the major players and still call them next generation.

I love me Persona 4 Golden, but it just seems like a cop-out answer. It'd be like saying Batman Arkham City WiiU is one of the best superhero games of the next generation. Technically, neither statement is wrong, but the answers feel unsatisfactory to me. I don't know, personally I prefer to leave out re-releases when it comes to "best of" threads just because it makes for a more interesting discussion. AND BECAUSE ANY SANE PERSON WOULD.

BUT if I have to bring Persona 4 Golden into the mix, I will say I enjoyed FFXIII-2 more than Golden in terms of gameplay. Granted I haven't played too many JRPGs this generation as opposed to last. I'm going to blasphemize and say that Persona 4's core JRPG gameplay always felt more like a chore to get out of the way so I can get my social links on. Maybe that speaks more to me playing through P4 three times and P4G twice.

I'm not even talking about Golden for my choice. Those were two separate comments. I was saying, I choose a game that's technically on a last generation console. It still came out during this generation, and it even came out after several games on current gen consoles that have been put forth in the thread.

#116 Edited by BamurDeadd (59 posts) -

@oldenglishC: I kinda feel that all the really great RPGs this gen came out on the DS and the early Xbox life cycle (LO, BD), of course there are games that stand out like Tales of Vesperia to tip the balance.. I mean, we PS3 gamers have Ni no Kuni to greatly look forward too and have been spending time with.. Trinity Universe? Ar Tonelico Qoqawhatsthatname again? Guess nothing nothing tickled my fancy, personally. Enjoying ToGF though!

EDit: Valkyria Chronicles.. There goes my point! Awesome game!

#117 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

No Contest. Either FFXIII or FFXIII-2 both have their strengths but If I was forced to only pick one I'd go with XIII. I've never had more fun with a JRPG this generation and its up there pretty high for favorite of all time. The only JRPG I enjoy more is Final Fantasy 8.

#118 Posted by pantzing_nome (581 posts) -

For me it's Yakuza 4, I spent over 110 hours playing it.

#119 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1661 posts) -

@DeF: On your recommendation, I was able to pick up a used copy of Contact from Gamestop on the way home from work for $5. So we'll see how that goes!

#120 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

It would be a tossup between Dragon Quest IX and Radiant Historia for me. Xenoblade was good but a little overrated to me. It spent too long wading around before the story really came together.

The DS games are smaller and therefore the experience tends to be a little tighter. I've just gotten a little worn out with 100+ hour RPGs.

#121 Posted by DeF (4775 posts) -

@beard_of_zeus said:

@DeF: On your recommendation, I was able to pick up a used copy of Contact from Gamestop on the way home from work for $5. So we'll see how that goes!

For $5 you can't really lose :)

#122 Posted by Helios1337 (323 posts) -
#123 Edited by Petiew (1322 posts) -
@frankfartmouth: Man, how could I have forgotten Dragon Quest IX?
I'll change my previous vote to this. This game has so much content and charm. The quests treasure maps and alchemy give so much longevity to the game.
Every piece of gear is shown on your characters as well, so you can send your super saiyan out to fight tornados in just a speedo and shades or in a full santa suit and beard.
#124 Edited by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

If Lost Odyssey is the best JRPG, then this generation's JRPGs must have been abismal because that game had one of the most generic, boring stories backed by some of the most uninteresting, undeveloped characters in a JRPG since the early NES days. On top of that, add the fact that the combat was difficult in an extremely annoying, dice roll kind of way, not in a fun, strategic challenge kind of way.

Edit: Now that I've read all of you fucking insane people praising that game, I feel like I should go back and replay it. Ugh, fuck you people. Don't you know I broke the only controller I've ever broken out of frustration because of that stupid game.

#125 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

Honestly one of the best games on the DS I have played. I sunk hours into this thing with reckless abandon.

#126 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

The World Ends With You probably takes the cake for me, although I don't have a Wii to play Xenoblade: Chronicles on.

#127 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

If Lost Odyssey is the best JRPG, then this generation's JRPGs must have been abismal because that game had one of the most generic, boring stories backed by some of the most uninteresting, undeveloped characters in a JRPG since the early NES days. On top of that, add the fact that the combat was difficult in an extremely annoying, dice roll kind of way, not in a fun, strategic challenge kind of way.

Edit: Now that I've read all of you fucking insane people praising that game, I feel like I should go back and replay it. Ugh, fuck you people. Don't you know I broke the only controller I've ever broken out of frustration because of that stupid game.

I find a lot of people who like simply because the game is pretty... western, I guess, combat aside. DONT BOTHER

#128 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

I'm going to take the heat and predict the future for saying that Ni No Kuni will be the best JRPG this generation. The team behind it will (hopefully) bring the magic of the movies to the table. I'm buying a PS3 solely for that damn game - so it better.

This.

#129 Posted by Dixavd (1291 posts) -

I am a huge advocate of Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 (in fact it was my favourite game of 2012 by a mile). The Wii had some great ones in Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story (I haven't played Pandora's Tower yet). Lost Odyssey is fantastic too. If Kingdom Hearts counts as a JRPG then Birth By Sleep is my all time favourite handheld title. Nintendo did a couple great JRPGs too (Fire Emblem, Pokémon, the slew of Mario RPGs)

And that is just the ones I can think of in thinking for only a couple minutes. I have to say, anyone who thinks this generation hasn't been a good one for JRPGs is either an incredible snob or just an idiot. (And this is one of those things I feel pretty ok with generalising on).

#130 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

@Animasta: Yeah, that's what I suspect. There's just too many good games to go back and play a game I thought was pretty boring.

#131 Posted by oldenglishC (921 posts) -

@BamurDeadd: Ar Tonelico wasn't that bad, it's like a Tales game that had a little too much to drink. Trinity Universe on the other hand, makes me hate video games for a minute every time I remember it exists.

The genre's not as strong as it was back in the PS2 days, but as long as you're not tied down to one console, I think there's a lot of really good games.

(Tales of Xillia comes out this year, too!)

#132 Posted by S3v3nS1ns (43 posts) -

Tales of Graces F if I had to pick one.

I also enjoyed Lost Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story.

#133 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

i'll say valkyria chronicles, resonance of fate, and FFXIII. I would put nier and dark souls on the list but i don't think they're jrpgs.

#134 Posted by BamurDeadd (59 posts) -

@oldenglishC: That's pretty much the definitive description of Ar Tonelico. I agree that overall we had some nice games, but it seems that the majority came out on either the DS or the Wii. Maybe I'm just waiting for a final fantasy to win back my faith in the series? I dont know.. It seems like I should give FF13-2 a more concrete try though, judging from the reactions here.

#135 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

Skyrim!!

Just kidding, I would have to say Tales of Vesperia although I did not really find any good JRPGs in this generation but I did not play any DS ones.

Lost Odyssey just was not that great, the writing was sloppy, the music was generic and the way they fed a lot of the story was kind of lame (those white pages with texts.. come on), character development was just "ok".

Eternal Sonata was very, very slow and had an awful combat system imho.

Anyone else just dying for a new 2D Suikoden game? :)

#136 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

@pantzing_nome said:

For me it's Yakuza 4, I spent over 110 hours playing it.

Yeah! Though i'm not sure to go with 3 or 4. I liked 3 a lot, but 4 has Akiyama damnit.

#137 Posted by Bane122 (783 posts) -

Lost Odyssee has yet to be beaten. And honestly Xenoblade and FFXIII are the only other JRPGs I've liked this gen (yes, actually I like FFXIII), but I've yet to play Last Story or more than a few hours of Nier. Both of those seem like they could be pretty good.

#138 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -

@DelroyLindo said:

Despite how easy it was, I enjoyed every minute of eternal sonata. Just started tales of vesperia so I'll see how that goes

My vote goes to Tales of Vesperia

@floodiastus said:

Anyone else just dying for a new 2D Suikoden game? :)

YES - YES - A 1000 TIMES YES!!!!!

#139 Edited by WarlordPayne (694 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

Don't bother, the only good part of Lost Odyssey were the written stories. The actual game story, characters, and combat were all terrible.

If strategy RPGs count then Valkyria Chronicles and Devil Survivor 1 and 2. If not then I really don't know. I haven't played many JRPGs this gen and the ones I have I've been kind of disappointed with, which is pretty depressing since it was my favorite genre from the SNES all the way up to this generation.

Oh man, I almost forgot Half-Minute Hero. That's definitely way up there, I love that game so much.

#140 Posted by golguin (3832 posts) -

Tales of Vesperia.

#141 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Didn't play many of 'em this generation, but I definitely loved Valkyria Chronicles, if that counts. It's so excellent, I'm pondering to buy a PSP or a VITA soley to play its sequels.

Having missed out on Rogue Galaxy last generation, I might buy into Ni No Kuni next week, just so history won't repeat itself. I don't really think it's for me, but sometimes it's good to get out of the comfort zone.

#142 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5124 posts) -

I definitely have to say Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia were two amazing games.They both got their hooks in me in a special way.With that said,Legend of Heroes:Trails in the Sky was a fantastic Jrpg for the Psp.I still hope for it's sequals to be released in some capacity here in America.Other than that,I bought The Last Story when it came out,but have yet to play it given I'd actually have to use my Wii.As a final note,I preordered Ni No Kuni recently.I definitely plan to play it and see how it goes.It looks pretty good so fingers crossed.

#143 Edited by Jeust (10450 posts) -

Well Ni No Kuni turned out too childish and boring for my taste. It is an interesting game, but it didn't show anything world shattering: more pwetty cellshaded graphics, in a slow moving story with a flawed battle system.

Personally having played Ni No Kuni, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Final Fantasy XIII, Radiant Historia, The World Ends With You, a bit of Dragon Quest V and Dragon Quest IX, and recently purchased Star Ocean: The Last Hope, I have to side with Radiant Historia.

Lost Odyssey was interesting, but the classic turn battles, middling story outside of the dreams, and the bullshit last bosses of the game (that I haven't played) but read about it on game faqs turn me off of it.

Unfinite Undiscovery is a game I liked, with a good battle system, similar in some ways to the awesome Final Fantasy XII gameplay, but I lost interest in the middle of the unremarkable story. Also I disliked the main characters flute powers. Couldn't the developers give it something more manly, like an awesome guitar-transforming-into-an-axe kind of tool?

Final Fantasy XIII is technically very impressive, with great graphics, a cool battle system and an interesting if somewhat confusing story, but I hated the non-stop dungeon crawling nature of the game. It's fun for a while, but it got tiresome.

The Wold Ends With You is an interesting game, but I disliked the gameplay, and didn't play much of it.

Dragon Quest V sounds an interesting game, but it's still in my pile of shame, despite the fact I played a bit of it, loved the story, but disliked the classic gameplay. Dragon Quest IX falls pretty much in the same category, although I didn't like much the story, to me it seems the focus is much more in the multiplayer aspects of the game, than in the story or immersion.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is nice. I liked the gameplay, and the story, although some of the the dialogue isn't great, and the characters are some of them annoying, but it's japanese! It has that ludicrousness of japanese culture, annoying to the point of almost headache, dubious translation effort from japanese to american and european (very similar to the dubbing of the Bruce Lee chinese movies or even Deadly Premonition) and silly stereotypes. I feel it is a product of the Japanese culture, made to entertain the japanese players.

Lastly, Radiant History is a game I didn't expect much out of it, even though the wide acclaim it has won. But playing through it has been a wonderful experience. Although the gameplay is turnbased in combat, is flows nicely and has nice ideas that turn the battles in brisk affairs. The story is deep, and interesting, with branching paths, and consequences. The characters interesting, albeit not overly developed. But the whole experience is pretty great.

P.S. - Where is that awesome writer and lover of japanese rpgs and mmos Symphony?

#144 Posted by Dasacant2 (210 posts) -

@jeust said:

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is nice. I liked the gameplay, and the story, although some of the the dialogue isn't great, and the characters are some of them annoying, but it's japanese! It has that ludicrousness of japanese culture, annoying to the point of almost headache, dubious translation effort from japanese to american and european (very similar to the dubbing of the Bruce Lee chinese movies or even Deadly Premonition) and silly stereotypes. I feel it is a product of the Japanese culture, made to entertain the japanese players.

You liked the story? Does it get any better after the whole 1950's earth thing? Because after that I just quit the game. Also Lymle is probably my most hated character of this generation and no one in the cast up to when I quit was particularly likable so maybe that along with the creepy anime doll faces they had never let me really get into the story.

#145 Edited by Jeust (10450 posts) -

@dasacant2 said:

@jeust said:

You liked the story? Does it get any better after the whole 1950's earth thing? Because after that I just quit the game. Also Lymle is probably my most hated character of this generation and no one in the cast up to when I quit was particularly likable so maybe that along with the creepy anime doll faces they had never let me really get into the story.

I haven't gone that far yet, but for now I like the appocalyptic and hopeful setup. To me Welch takes the cake. The first time I heard her I was starting to get an headache. It was the first time that happened to me. She was just so annoying with the pointless playfullness and the voice was so grating!

#146 Edited by Dasacant2 (210 posts) -

@jeust said:

I haven't gone that far yet, but for now I like the appocalyptic and hopeful setup. To me Welch takes the cake. The first time I heard her I was starting to get an headache. It was the first time that happened to me. She was just so annoying with the pointless playfullness and the voice was so grating!

I completely forgot about her, yes that excessive bubbly personality was very grating. Its like the devolpers wanted us to think she was a cute and quirky but like ffxiii's Vanille she goes straight past quirky and into insanity.

#147 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

I loved FFXIII (and FFXIII-2, but I think the first one was better). Though I didn't play many JRPGs this generation that came out this generation though... Hm. I should fix that.

#148 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1503 posts) -

Is 2010 in "this generation?" If so, then Solatorobo: Red the Hunter is my vote. It's way better than people give it credit for, sure it has simple game play, but a fantastic story, music and art.

#149 Posted by Jeust (10450 posts) -

@jeust said:

I completely forgot about her, yes that excessive bubbly personality was very grating. Its like the devolpers wanted us to think she was a cute and quirky but like ffxiii's Vanille she goes straight past quirky and into insanity.

Yeah! But what was really getting to me was the high pitched voice echoing in my ears. So irritating!

Is 2010 in "this generation?" If so, then Solatorobo: Red the Hunter is my vote. It's way better than people give it credit for, sure it has simple game play, but a fantastic story, music and art.

Yeah, this is about last gen jrpgs. I never heard of this jrpg. Sounds interesting...

#150 Posted by TheHT (10796 posts) -

Dark Souls

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)