#1 Edited by kartzero (6 posts) -

There's just something about SMB3 that cannot be topped.

What's the best mario game?

#2 Edited by EricSmith (326 posts) -

Super Mario RPG.

PS, welcome to Giant Bomb.

#3 Posted by EVO (3913 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy. The second was more varied, but had nowhere near the same impact on me.

#4 Posted by Schmollian (262 posts) -

Super Mario World, followed closely by 64. Those games were my early childhood!

#5 Edited by glyn (382 posts) -

Mario Sunshine :)

Theres just something about squirting water at monsters and hovering in the air that cannot be topped.

#6 Posted by DeF (4893 posts) -

@kartzero: I'm very suspicious of these topics by users who signed up MINUTES before. Are you a real person?

Also, there is no such thing as a "best" Mario game, there are only favorites.

#7 Posted by Vexxan (4621 posts) -

Super Mario 64 is my favorite. Probably because I grew up with it but I really like games where I feel I am in total control of the character(precision games like Super Meat Boy etc).

#8 Posted by Seroth (720 posts) -

Super Mario World

#9 Posted by kartzero (6 posts) -

@DeF said:

@kartzero: I'm very suspicious of these topics by users who signed up MINUTES before. Are you a real person?

yeah i'm real & best mario game = catchiest music, tightest control, most variety, nicest to look at, etc.

#10 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

But SMB3 didn't even happen! It's all a stage play! How are you even certain you're playing as Mario in that game? It's probably just some actor dressed as Mario! It's all fake, fake I tell you!!

But seriously, my favorite is SMB3. Love that game!

#11 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1248 posts) -

If I had to number a top 5...

1. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door

2. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga

3. Super Mario 64

4. Super Mario World

5. Super Mario Sunshine

#12 Posted by ProfessorEss (7378 posts) -

The original Super Mario Bros. The sequels may be better on paper but the first one will always be one of the most unforgettable gaming experiences in my life.

#13 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

@kartzero said:

@DeF said:

yeah i'm real & best mario game = catchiest music, tightest control, most variety, nicest to look at, etc.

Going by that definition of best then there really can't be a best Mario game, because those probably aren't all found in the same game. That being said, Galaxy.

#14 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (485 posts) -

Super Mario World. For me not only is it the best Mario game but also possibly the greatest platformer of all time. I admit I haven't played every Mario game and nostalgia may have coloured my opinion but I stand my every word.

Galaxy is also very, very good.

#15 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I don't even know. It's a tie between Mario Sunshine, SMW 3, Super Mario world, and does Luigi's Mansion count?

#16 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

For me it's SMB 3 or SMW.

#17 Edited by kartzero (6 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

I don't even know. It's a tie between Mario Sunshine, SMW 3, Super Mario world, and does Luigi's Mansion count?

anything from the Mario Universe counts

so if Luigi's Mansion is your choice, I can accept that.

However you should explain why you think Luigi's Mansion is a better game than Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World.

#18 Posted by jaycrockett (451 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy. The design in the game is just staggering. There are enough good ideas in there for 10 great games.

I did like Super Mario World back in the day, but in general I'm not so great with 2d platformers, and they seem to get harder as you go back.

Also, if Yoshi's Island counts, that's the best 2d one.

#19 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

@kartzero said:

There's just something about SMB3 that cannot be topped.

I agree with this 100%.

#20 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

Super Mario World.

#21 Posted by sonicrift (299 posts) -

I love all the Super Mario Bros. games, and SMB3 was my favorite when I was a kid and for most of my life, but I think that's because I didn't have a SNES. Today, I think Super Mario World is the best Mario game of all time, and by a large margin. The New series doesn't come close to matching the quality, variety, and content in that game. It looks like we'll be getting one New Super Mario Bros. per system now, so I hope one day, when a little more time has passed between iterations, they can match the quality of that SNES game.

#22 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

I forget whether I prefer 3 or World.

#23 Posted by SlapHappyJesus (120 posts) -

Toss between Super Mario World and Galaxy.

Super Mario World, I believe, was the first game I ever played. So yeah, there is some nostalgia with that one. Still, I think a lot of people consider that the best of the games. It's still a great game, bias or no. With Galaxy, I just feel that it is 3D Mario done almost perfectly. While I wasn't much of a fan of Mario 64, I absolutely love the galaxy games. Great art design, fantastic levels, and Mario just feels amazing to control. Some of the most fun I've had with games, period.

#24 Edited by Nukacherry (15 posts) -

I think in terms of the pure fun and enjoyment I got from it I would have to say New Super Mario Bros. (DS) is my favourite Mario game. However Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) is coming close to topping it, simply due to that games' great re-playability.

In a list, at the moment it would be:

1. New Super Mario Bros (DS)
  2. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
  3. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
  4. Mario Kart (DS) <- Not sure if this counts.
  5. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)

Anyway, Nintendo has yet to disappoint with a Mario game, and New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) looks pretty good!

-Nukacherry-

#25 Edited by believer258 (11923 posts) -

@DeF said:

He's got seven posts, meaning that at some point around 24 hours ago he hit the 5 post mark. It's been more than a few minutes since he signed up, or at least should have been.

EDIT: Also, Super Mario Sunshine is my answer. I played it before I played SM64 and I think Sunshine holds up a good bit better than 64 does. I like the 2D ones a whole lot, I just don't like any of them as much as Sunshine.

#26 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Super Mario World. I played that game almost non stop, back in the day.

Galaxy is a close second, I really wish they'd go back to the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy type of gameplay for the 3D games. I don't see why they've started making them so linear again, especially when they seem to be annualising 2D ones.

#27 Posted by Rafaelfc (1348 posts) -

this should be a poll

but the only real answer to this question is

Super Mario World!

#28 Posted by Somnus (84 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy.

#29 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Galaxy. Then 64. Then World.

Then Paper?

#30 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Super Mario World is the correct answer. However, I really fucking love Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

#31 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Super Mario 64 because its the one I played as a child and beat 100%, the music is best in that one and I love the level design.

#32 Posted by Fire_Of_The_Wind (170 posts) -

Super Mario World.

#33 Posted by DeF (4893 posts) -

@believer258: 4 minutes passed between account creation (genesis achievement) and starting this very broad topic without much substance to discuss. with all the spam going on lately, this was more than suspicious.

#34 Posted by johncallahan (568 posts) -

Super Mario World was the second game I ever played so I have a hard time not saying that. Despite "growing up" with 64 I still think Galaxy 2 is the best 3D Mario, 3D Land is a very close second.

#35 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

Toss up between World, 3, and 64.

#36 Posted by Asurastrike (2166 posts) -

Super Mario World

#37 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I think the original had the tightest controls definitely, but I guess my favorite is 64 after all. Sunshine would be better, but the FLUDD and no crouch jump basically negate the other benefits it has over 64.

#38 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

Everyone who said something other than Super Mario World is wrong and evil.

Super Mario World is perfect in every way.