#1 Posted by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

what are your favorite more niche ps3 game (it dosent have to be a jrpg it can be any game that has niche appeal) because i think everyone has atleast 1 niche game that they like

heres mine

tales of xillia my fav ps3 non dragons dogma rpg i don't care what people say

child of eden:beautiful visuals and great gameplay

journey: yes i consider it niche because not everyone's gonna enjoy this game but if you want a very artistic and beautiful game get this 1

disgaea 4: endless hours of tactical fun for me plus very funny dialog

those are my fav niche ps3 games what are yours?

#2 Posted by nasp (290 posts) -

nier.because it has the best story in gaming imo.

#3 Posted by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

@nasp said:

nier.because it has the best story in gaming imo.

i have yet to play nier but it looks awesome

#4 Posted by nasp (290 posts) -

@thesonygamer12: if you go into knowing that it has flaws and can be repetitive, but stick around knowing that if you stick to it theres a really interesting story that does things that make you think. i think almost anyone( even if you dont like the game) will atleast like the story and how different it is.theres nothing else really like it tbh.

#5 Posted by Sterling (2272 posts) -

Mario v. Sonic XV Turbo 9

Not many people know about this game. Its a PS3 exclusive. Its pretty fucking rad. Its an open world fighting game. Think smash bros meets infamous. Its the ultra niche game. My uncle said no one will believe me that it exists. But he works for Sony and has let me play it. There are only like 4 copies in existence. Super NICHE RARE. Jelly?

#6 Posted by SkullPanda1 (120 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles for sure.

#10 Edited by fisk0 (4097 posts) -

Birds of Steel, maybe? A pretty deep PS3 combat flight simulator by Gaijin, who also made Wings of Prey and War Thunder.

I think flight simulators have been a pretty niche genre over all during the past couple of console generations, and Birds of Steel doesn't even go with the Ace Combat/H.A.W.X. arcade route. It's not exactly DCS, as you can't really interact much with the stuff in the cockpit, but the physics and flight model seem pretty serious.

I kinda want to mention the Söldner X games too. They aren't amazing or anything, but euroshmups are a small, often maligned niche within the already niche shoot 'em up genre, and while the voice acting is absolutely horrible, they pretty much feel like Amiga/C64/PC style euroshmups should.

#11 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3301 posts) -

Tales of Vesperia, Way of the Samurai 4, My Summer Vacation, Gundam Extreme Vs. (Full Boost and so on) are a few that come to mind.

#12 Posted by avenlaya (63 posts) -

Demon Souls, Valkyria Chronicles are good choices.

#13 Edited by DeadpanCakes (886 posts) -

Halo. I like that u get a gun and aleins are cool.

Nier

#14 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11721 posts) -

My fav PS3 niche is a game caled demons souls I dont know if you have heard of it but it is super cool and hard.

#15 Posted by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@thesonygamer12: Touchy, aren't we. And I won't ''get over it'', because if threads as muddled as yours are allowed to continue then that means others may start cropping up, and suddenly there'll be a rise in dull, generic threads like this, which is something I wouldn't want to see.

Not every thread has to involve deep, meaningful introspection or whatever. But all of your threads are horrible to read and like I said are all within a similar ballpark of discussion.

MY SPELLING IS GOOD SO DONT CRITISISE

#16 Posted by fisk0 (4097 posts) -
#17 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

@thesonygamer12 said:

@yummylee said:

@thesonygamer12: Touchy, aren't we. And I won't ''get over it'', because if threads as muddled as yours are allowed to continue then that means others may start cropping up, and suddenly there'll be a rise in dull, generic threads like this, which is something I wouldn't want to see.

Not every thread has to involve deep, meaningful introspection or whatever. But all of your threads are horrible to read and like I said are all within a similar ballpark of discussion.

Now now, don't you use that tone with me, mister. Otherwise you'll be going straight to bed without any tea!

...Also, there's a difference between spelling and grammar, and while your spelling is fine your grammar is piss poor. And I'm not asking for an English Literature paper here... My own is undoubtedly far from perfect at that, but yo, seriously, just look at your own posts and compare them to how they're formatted and written to everyone else's in here. I mean some capitalisation would help for a start.

And besides, your presentation wasn't even the main point of my post anyway.

#18 Posted by Akeldama (4246 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles, Folklore, Neir, Demon's Souls and Trash Panic.

#19 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2385 posts) -

Halo 3

#20 Posted by believer258 (11895 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Criticize.

#21 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1070 posts) -

Haha. This is one of the reasons why I don't go to the forums anymore. Keep seeing this dude's threads on the front page every time I visit.This makes me miss Hizang somehow lol. He was the right kind of weird.

#22 Posted by benspyda (2034 posts) -

Folklore was super interesting.

#23 Edited by pinner458 (771 posts) -

PixelJunk Monsters gets alot of love but I didn't enjoy it at all. I'd call it kind of niche.

N-No Kuni was the first game that came to mind but JRPG's are pretty obvious..

#24 Posted by AltonBrown (950 posts) -

Siren: Blood Curse is pretty awesome.

#25 Posted by pinner458 (771 posts) -

Halo. I like that u get a gun and aleins are cool.

Nier

This post is full of win.

#26 Edited by ElmerGlue (32 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles for sure.

It's a damn shame Sega tossed it onto the PSP to die.

#27 Edited by blackichigo (171 posts) -

Yakuza 4 was pretty good. Just be prepared to do ALOT of reading.

#28 Posted by Hunkulese (2721 posts) -

@thesonygamer12: Why do you keep posting the same threads? Are you an internet spam bot? Is you next topic going to be about the 7 best PS3 games starting with the letter 4?

#29 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (890 posts) -

Yakuza 4 I guess. It's not as good as 1 or 2 but I enjoyed it overall. Really wasn't a fan of many PS3 games, though I guess there were some niche multiplatform games I enjoyed the 360 versions of.

#30 Posted by MachoLucha (24 posts) -

Katamari Forever (assuming you haven't played any of the others, in that case don't bother), Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes (clunky but found it more fun than DW), Okami (HD), Tokyo Jungle.

Also, I'll bat for Siren Blood Curse too...

#31 Posted by audioBusting (1534 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@thesonygamer12 said:

@yummylee said:

Criticize.

Criticise =P

I would rather have the old threads bumped, but oh well. In this case, I'd vote for Tokyo Jungle. It's weird, but very well-made. I bet it would be a hit if it were to come out on Steam! Other than that, I don't know, does Demon's Souls count as a niche game?

#32 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

@irrelevantjohn said:

Haha. This is one of the reasons why I don't go to the forums anymore. Keep seeing this dude's threads on the front page every time I visit.This makes me miss Hizang somehow lol. He was the right kind of weird.

I think @falserelic has filled that void quite nicely :P

#33 Edited by falserelic (5436 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@irrelevantjohn said:

I think @falserelic has filled that void quite nicely :P

Seems like I was summoned here, did you miss me?

#34 Posted by believer258 (11895 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@thesonygamer12 said:

@yummylee said:

Criticize.

Criticise =P

Only in Europe.

#35 Posted by ManMadeGod (1561 posts) -

noby noby boy is as niche as it gets.

#36 Posted by kqedequalsvolvo (45 posts) -

@nasp said:

@thesonygamer12: if you go into knowing that it has flaws and can be repetitive, but stick around knowing that if you stick to it theres a really interesting story that does things that make you think. i think almost anyone( even if you dont like the game) will atleast like the story and how different it is.theres nothing else really like it tbh.

Completely agree, particularly with the last element - for all of its flaws (and there are many), I have never played a game like Nier before or since. The brevity of mixing multiple genres together so unexpectedly is, even if you don't end up enjoying it, worthy of your time I reckon. It's been a few years since I played but I can think of clear elements from all-over gaming - hack and slash, platformers, action adventure, shoot 'em ups, Japanese and Western RPG tropes all come to mind...there's even a text adventure section. The story is really affecting and forms part of an incredibly convoluted (but interesting) lore. I could bang on for ages about it but I bought it on a whim after a colleague at work told me to ignore the conflicting reviews and just give it a shot - I'm glad I did as I think it's probably my favourite gaming experience.

Drakengard 3 is coming out really soon for PS3 too and that's heavily related to Nier so maybe that'll be worth checking out too. Same musical composer as Nier too I think which is really exciting.

#37 Posted by kqedequalsvolvo (45 posts) -

Oh yeah No More Heroes is worth your time too. Found it pretty frustrating towards the end but certainly 'niche' in the sense that I can't think of another game quite like it. Never tried it with the Move controller though.

#38 Posted by nasp (290 posts) -

@kqedequalsvolvo: yes ive seen enough of drakenguard 3 from the japan release to say that im totally sold and will buy it eventually.gameplay looks really fun.