• 72 results
#1 Posted by spyder335 (265 posts) -

Ive been replaying farcry 3 and really enjoying the openness of the game, being able to take on the encampments anyway you like, whats your favorite open world game and why?

#2 Posted by afabs515 (831 posts) -

Honestly, for me it's a toss-up between Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed IV. In Far Cry 3, I stealthed my way through every outpost using only the bow and felt like the most badass son of a bitch around. But I love just pirating for literally dozens of hours in ACIV. It's a hard choice for me, but those are definitely my top 2.

#3 Posted by Vuud (1422 posts) -

What is this Ubisoft nonsense?

The STALKER series. Period.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11252 posts) -

I haven't played Far Cry 3, but I really loved Far Cry 2. Apparently your mileage my vary...some people absolutely hated the game because enemies respawed at checkpoints.

#5 Posted by narujoe93 (2408 posts) -

My personal favorites are Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, GTA 4, Infamous 1+2, Ass Creed 2, Sleepy Dogs, Saints Row 3, Jak 2+3. I'm probably forgetting something, but thats most of them

#6 Posted by Daiphyer (1273 posts) -

Hmmm, for me, I think Saints Row 3 and 4, Red Dead Redemption, GTA V, and Just Cause 2 are the best open world games of this generation.

#7 Edited by bigjeffrey (4151 posts) -

i really enjoyed the new GATV a lot, Fallout 3 i liked as well. Ass creed 2 and brotherhood just get me wet.

#8 Posted by spyder335 (265 posts) -

I too am really enjoying assassins creed 4, i seem to drop fps really crazy though

#9 Posted by TheHT (10248 posts) -

Web of Shadows: Fantastic web-swinging, cool combat.

GTA: San Andreas: The GTA game I probably played the most. It was huge and full of stuff to blow up. And motherfuckin bicycles, and martial arts, and jet packs. Man.

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion: The most exciting Bethesda world to explore. Maybe not the most rewarding to explore, but still, it's very pretty. The main quest had it's issues, but the game was filled with a lot of other awesome quests.

Just Cause 2: Blow shit up and grapple and stunt position and oh god I should probably include Sleeping Dogs.

Sleeping Dogs: Decent cover-based shooting with bullet time, good melee fighting, goofy fun driving, interesting locale, great story. It's like they took a bunch of features from other games and slapped em all together while making it not look like Frankenstein's monster.

Assassin's Creed 1: None of the other games quite captured the balance between stealth and action in an open world the way I remember AC1 doing it.

#10 Posted by Abendlaender (2595 posts) -

For me, the best open world games are those that are really fun to traverse. So Just Cause 2 it is!

I also really liked Far Cry 3 (they just should have given me the wing-suit earlier) and STALKER (man, remember Stalker? I want a new Stalker...). Saint's Row IV is fun, but the world is rather boring and it's always night which I hated...

#11 Posted by armaan8014 (5251 posts) -

Hmmm gotta say Far cry 3, Oblivion, Just Cause 2. Maybe Fallout 3 too, for it's atmosphere.

Ill Include The Witcher here cause I love that game. Not very open though, but makes me think TW3 will be an amazing open world game; so maybe nominate that for the future.

@theht said:

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion: The most exciting Bethesda world to explore. Maybe not the most rewarding to explore, but still, it's very pretty. The main quest had it's issues, but the game was filled with a lot of other awesome quests.

Just Cause 2: Blow shit up and grapple and stunt position and oh god I should probably include Sleeping Dogs.

Sleeping Dogs: Decent cover-based shooting with bullet time, good melee fighting, goofy fun driving, interesting locale, great story. It's like they took a bunch of features from other games and slapped em all together while making it not look like Frankenstein's monster.

Assassin's Creed 1: None of the other games quite captured the balance between stealth and action in an open world the way I remember AC1 doing it.

I like your choice! Especially choosing ES4 and AC1 over the sequels

#12 Edited by Fredchuckdave (4471 posts) -

San Andreas, the Scarface video game, Morrowind, and ACIV

#13 Posted by Animasta (14455 posts) -

I am really loving Far Cry 3, just playing it now. The open world is not exactly the most compelling part about it, however. I'd probably say Fallout: New Vegas myself (or Stalker: Call of Pripyat)

#14 Posted by Yesiamaduck (643 posts) -

JC 2, SR2, SR3, SR4, SD, FC3, RDR, GTA SA, GTA VC

#15 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs, Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV/V, Borderlands 1/2, Assassins Creed II/IV, Far Cry 3, The Godfather, Mafia II.

#16 Edited by spyder335 (265 posts) -

Ive been playing JC2 multiplayer, that really is a special kind of stupid hopefully they will make a third.

#17 Edited by Noblenerf (253 posts) -

My pick: Just Cause 2 (PC). It's a huge, freeform game that's a lot of fun to traverse. The island itself is beautiful, and there are many interesting sites to see (such as a certain island off of Panau's coast) and just as fun to destroy. The gameplay is smartly designed and enjoyable to play. JC2 multiplayer makes you appreciate everything everything about Just Cause 2 even more.

Just Cause 2's demo does a fantastic zoom-out sequence when it ends, showcasing Panau. (That sequence is what originally sold me on the game.) I can't think of any other open world game that is so proud of the gameworld they've created.

• Honourable mention: Sleeping Dogs (PC). The intense detail packed into Sleeping Dogs' relatively small open world makes me appreciate it a lot more than I should. It also helps that the game itself is a blast to play.
  • Honourable mention: Elder Scrolls V Skyrim (PC). One word: freedom!
  • Honourable mention: Fallout: New Vegas (PC). A large, complicated world that is a lot of fun to discover. With a UI mod and the jsawyer mod, this game becomes the very best in open-world roleplaying.

#18 Edited by BenLuke (55 posts) -

Can't beat Far Cry 2.

#19 Posted by Hector (3346 posts) -

As of right now Assassin's Creed IV. You can sail around, sink other ships, take down forts, hunt whales and sharks, etc...There's a lot to do and best of all your doing it as a pirate!

#20 Posted by YOU_DIED (695 posts) -

Fallout 2

#21 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2576 posts) -

The Infamous series are the only open world games I can say I've honestly enjoyed.

#22 Posted by xXHesekielXx (167 posts) -

GTA IV.

#23 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

For me it doesn't get any better than Skyrim that can suck me in instantly with it's world to explore, quests to accomplish and the ability to be anything you want to be in the game.

#24 Edited by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

Assassin's Creed IV is probably my favorite open world in a game (not my favorite open world game, but my favorite world in a game). It's really fun to explore everything and collect everything. I want to see it all.

#25 Edited by GTCknight (554 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma: I really liked the lack of a dedicated fast-travel system. It meant that I always had to prepare for anything when I headed out for the world. There's a lot of good things (and only maybe one or two bad things) I could say about this game but, I have no wish to write out an essay about it.

Saints Row the Third: I just love how crazy and insane that game can be. While I do like Saints Row IV I didn't enjoy how certain activities felt like they were meant for co-op.

Macross 30: I don't expect to many (if any) people here to have played it yet, the game was fun. Nothing quite like having a open world RPG combined with flying a jet that can transform into a mech. The combat was fast and quick as well. I also just like the perk of NG+ (getting to fly as Nekki Bassra and using the power of music to bring down your enemies); it changes how you play the game (if you chose to fly as Bassra) since you have to dodge enemy weapons fire more than you would normally.

#26 Posted by Ares42 (2442 posts) -

Noone's mentioned Arkham games ? They might not have the biggest worlds, but they're packed with exploration and puzzly goodness.

As far as favorite I feel like I'm forgetting something. In one way I'd say one of the earlier GTAs deserve it. Actually depending on your definition it's probably Star Wars Galaxies, maybe even Dark Souls ? They might not be your traditional open-world games, but I feel like they qualify in their own ways.

#27 Posted by EVO (3775 posts) -

GTA V. I might've had more fun in Red Faction and Just Cause 2, but GTA V is a masterpiece.

#28 Posted by HerbieBug (3836 posts) -

Just Cause 2 for best open world and best movement mechanics. But! You don't play this game for the missions and you definitely don't play it for the characters/voice acting. The missions are the weakest part of the whole package. You play Just Cause 2 for sandbox style make-your-own-fun adventure. And in that capacity I think it is the best open world game ever made.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Mercenaries for PS2/Xbox 1 original. That game is absolutely a classic. Super fun mechanics, great atmosphere, fun missions. Yes, it looks clunky and old at this point but don't let that dissuade you. --- just don't play Mercenaries 2. That game sucks.

#29 Edited by spykereightsix (78 posts) -

Far Cry 3 is probably one of my favorite games from "last gen", but I'd also put Sleeping Dogs on this list.

#30 Posted by spyder335 (265 posts) -

@herbiebug: Man mercs 2 was such a let down all they needed was a patch to fix the weird weapons spray and that game would of een alright.

#31 Posted by Vextroid (1316 posts) -

The characters, the music, the atmosphere.

#32 Edited by flameboy298 (64 posts) -

Far Cry 3

Batman Arkham City&Arkham Origins(not really)

Assassins Creed IV

Assassins Creed 3

Red Dead Redemption

#33 Posted by itspizza (420 posts) -

Red dead, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Saints Row 3, Far Cry 3, Assassins Creed: Brotherhood (just started playing IV), GTA III - V

#34 Posted by Aviar (365 posts) -

Skyrim was just insane, and I love everything in Assassin's Creed IV.

#35 Edited by BaneFireLord (2873 posts) -

Oblivion, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, Just Cause 2 and GTA San Andreas are all on the short list of my favorite games of all time.

#36 Posted by Red (5991 posts) -

No mentions of Infamous yet. I don't play too many open world games outside of Bethesda releases, which I quite enjoy but wouldn't exactly say I love, so InFamous is actually probably my favorite open world game. If ever I have the time, though, I really should play through some Assassin's Creed and Red Dead. Is it alright to start Assassin's Creed with 4 or is there some story stuff I'll miss out on?

#37 Posted by Random45 (802 posts) -

The Witcher 3 is going to be the best open world game, just you wait.

#38 Edited by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

Elder Scrolls series.

#39 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

i really enjoyed the new GATV a lot, Fallout 3 i liked as well. Ass creed 2 and brotherhood just get me wet.

Sooooo... Saints Row IV then?

#40 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (244 posts) -

I see nobody has mentioned LA Noire yet.

#41 Posted by HistoryInRust (6211 posts) -

Morrowind. By a long shot.

As far as a more action-y open world game? Spider-Man 2 is still high on my list, even after nearly ten years.

#42 Edited by HatKing (5553 posts) -

I see nobody has mentioned LA Noire yet.

The open world isn't the best part of that game. I say this being a person who enjoyed the game, but it might have actually been better without that. They could have still had the same wonderful art direction and environments without the driving from place to place. In the end the open world came off really hollow and felt a lot like they put it in there because it was kind of a Rockstar game and that's kind of what people want from them.

As far as games that utilize an open world to make the locale feel alive and work toward the greater narrative, I don't think anything has touched Red Dead Redemption. The only Rockstar game that I've honestly gotten the 100% completion (even the DLC) on because I loved spending time in that world so much. Heck, I still get the occasional urge to revisit that game.

But if you're just looking for a sandbox experience, one that trades on craziness, the first Mercenaries game - which games like Just Cause 2 owe a lot to - is absolutely fantastic. If you haven't played Mercenaries, it's somewhere between Battlefield Bad Company and Just Cause 2. Calling in bombing runs, or just air dropping any weapon you want, was a ton of fun. Even if you were using them for nefarious means. Carpet bombing a city is fun, I'm sorry. I still hope that the next Just Cause borrows just a little more from Mercenaries, in addition to its own brand of craziness.

#43 Posted by froggeh (18 posts) -

So nobody has mentioned the actual best open world game which is Red Faction Guerrilla.

Also I think The Saboteur is an underrated open world game.

#44 Posted by spyder335 (265 posts) -
#45 Edited by PimblyCharles (1099 posts) -
@spyder335 said:

@froggeh:

i too loved saboteur

That was a surprisingly fantastic open world game. Forgot about it, and now am interested in playing it again.

Other than that, I think any Bethesda open world game, Mafia 1 & 2 and Just Cause 1 & 2 are fantastic. Fallout New Vegas is probably my favorite open world game of all time.

#46 Posted by OldGuy (1431 posts) -
#47 Edited by bybeach (4596 posts) -

I liked the Stalker and the Fallout 3 suggestions. Also, is not Dark Souls open world, or is it too narrow? You certainly have choice of progression, though there is a hierarchy of missions. seems open world to me.

edit-if we are going well back in time, I would also say like another poster, Vice City.

#48 Posted by ripelivejam (2772 posts) -

Pitfall 2

#49 Edited by CornBREDX (4454 posts) -

I find open world games to tend to be like single player MMOs often times, so I don't tend to finish them as it can be daunting having so much in a game for me sometimes. So, I'm not a big fan of that aspect but I actually feel only recently have I even been able to actually finish an open world game (over past 2 years or so) as I usually don't. Some of the better ones I've done have had more focus so I'd say stuff like Dark Souls or maybe most recent Saint's row games. Far cry 3 did it well also. Stuff that is open but it being open doesn't get in the way or feel over whelming.

Where it just feels natural. I don't know how to explain that very well.

#50 Posted by NTM (7029 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption, that's my favorite. I'm really enjoying ACIV too, and that's perhaps my second or third now. I liked the first InFamous, though not necessarily due to it being open world, it was just a superb game. I would want to say GTA Vice City, but the gameplay nowadays is archaic, so it's not much fun to play other than perhaps driving around listening to the '80s music and seeing some of the story (though you'd have to play it to get to further parts of it).