• 124 results
#101 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

Bantam. They published the Choose Your Own Adventure books before Alefgard was ever shrouded in darkness.

#102 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

I'm going to have to go with the probably-obvious Bioware. Yes, they've had some troubles recently, but their back catalogue is simply undeniable.

#103 Edited by Zithe (1045 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

The game has to not only facilitate but acknowledge my differences in action of my various characters for it to be an RPG by my definition.

Seems like the only way to accomplish this currently (or the way most RPGs do anyway) is to put the player on rails and give them a couple of tracks to choose from. This can be entertaining and all, but it also limits my role playing abilities to "Choose dialogue option 1, 2, or 3." I am forced to go where the game wants me to go and do what it wants me to do in service of the story. The game won't progress any other way. I am no longer truly in control of my character like I am in Skyrim.

#104 Edited by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

@Zithe said:

@Tennmuerti said:

The game has to not only facilitate but acknowledge my differences in action of my various characters for it to be an RPG by my definition.

Seems like the only way to accomplish this currently (or the way most RPGs do anyway) is to put the player on rails and give them a couple of tracks to choose from. This can be entertaining and all, but it also limits my role playing abilities to "Choose dialogue option 1, 2, or 3." I am forced to go where the game wants me to go and do what it wants me to do in service of the story. The game won't progress any other way. I am no longer truly in control of my character like I am in Skyrim.

Not really all games that do this provide plenty of side content. Obviously there is a main story but so is there one in Skyrim. Take BG2 for example the main story is on rails but the majority of the game is not even part tof the main story. Skyrims main story is just as much on rails. The only difference is how much effort they put into the main thread. And the best of these types of games don't have simple paths with 1-3 choices where to go, they have basically webs of cause and effect, of how things play out depending on your actions.

All you are in controll off of your character in Skyrim is where to go and what quests to take, nothing more really, almost all traditional rpgs do this just not on the same scale.

Is your argument for what defines an rpg is I do what I want? Freedom? then I would argue that Saint's Row is just as much of an RPG.

See? This is why I did not want to get into discussion on what defines an RPG, this shit is so personal to each of us and takes forever to argue.

#105 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

LOL you kids and your Black Isle.

TSR was rocking out RPGs back when Black Isle was only a sand bar.

#106 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Buzzkill said:

So was Infocom but you don't see anyone mentioning them.

#107 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@uniform said:

Squaresoft. Sorry, I know it's not going to be a popular answer, but it was once upon a time.

Ah, memories...

#108 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I would say Bioware but Dragon Age 2 has enough bad in it to offset the good from Baldur's Gate I & II and Dragon Age: Origins, so I'll go with Obsidian / Black Isle on this. Squaresoft if we're talking maybe 10 years ago...

#109 Posted by hermes (1485 posts) -

Years ago, I would have said Square.

Now, now I don't know...

#110 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

I'm too elite to go with anything else than Bioware.

#111 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

I like Bethesda.

Bioware had me with Mass Effect and Dragon Age..until they made Dragon Age II.

#112 Posted by azrailx (342 posts) -

you can tell who is an old school pc gamer from most of these answers

black isle

id murder 10 puppies for a game that could match planescape torments story

#113 Posted by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

Even though I haven't liked the last couple of games Square has put out I still think they're one of the best RPG studios ever. They've made so many beloved classics. They may not be doing so great now but that doesn't negate their amazing legacy.

#114 Posted by OtakuGamer (1237 posts) -

It used to be Bioware but since I haven't really been interested in any of their new titles, Bethesda gets my vote. Skyrim was amazing.

#115 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1576 posts) -

Team Ninja.

#116 Posted by benspyda (2034 posts) -

Bethesda

#117 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3307 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Fact: There has never been a bad Mario RPG.

Also Fire Emblem.

What now mother fuckers.

and Pokemon and Advance Wars are badass.

#118 Posted by azrailx (342 posts) -

^ advanced wars was sick, and fire emblem was a fun but frustrating rpg take on advanced wars

#119 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Right now: Bethesda

Before their recent troubles: BioWare

A long, long time ago: Square

#120 Edited by Chemin (632 posts) -

Black Isle, for consistency. Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2. Come on, that's a pretty stable track record.

Bethesda did one of my favorite games of all time, Morrowind, but went downhill from there. Bioware made several superb/good games, like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and KotOR, but later became so big they had to stop making awesome RPGs that wouldn't sell and instead focus on action games with a few RPG elements mixed in. KotOR was the downfall, yes, even though I enjoyed that game immensely, but at least it wasn't an action game. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed Mass Effect quite a lot, so it's not necessarily a major bummer. Perhaps Dragon Age: Origins will redeem them as RPG makers for me. I haven't actually played it, but really seems to be up my alley - especially nowadays with "RPGs" being what they are.

Then we have the JRPGs, which I also enjoy, but I often consider the western style to be more rooted in, and more fitting for, the RPG genre and questions like this. Squaresoft easily takes the cake for JRPGs though. They've made more good games than I can remember, almost all of them before they joined up with Enix.

#121 Posted by Raven10 (1789 posts) -

10 years ago I would have said Origin Systems or New World Computing. With both of them gone, though, I will have to give my vote to Bioware. On the JRPG side my choice would have to be either Tri-Ace or Level 5. Never was a fan of Square, Enix, or Atlus.

#122 Posted by Modedude (36 posts) -

Personally, either Atlus or Tri-Ace.

#123 Posted by Raven10 (1789 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

@Buzzkill said:

So was Infocom but you don't see anyone mentioning them.

I was the first to mention New World Computing and the second to mention Origin Systems. As far as I know no one mentioned Sir Tech. Without Origin and Sir Tech there would be no Black Isle, Bioware, Square Soft, Bethesda, or Enix. Those companies all rose from the innovations of those two companies but you can't expect the average forum goer to have played games made in the 70's.

#124 Posted by ultimathule (59 posts) -

Black Isle made Planescape: Torment, so by default they are the best rpg game studio of all time.