Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Akeldama

Anything in particular come to mind?  

I really enjoyed the levels from Bioshock (just replayed it for the third time)

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

Bioshock had a very nice atmospheric feel to it, but I would have to say Dead Space.  It had it's share of the usual corridors and such, however it did have some pretty great personality

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Level design as in actual geometry or as in artistic style? Because those are both very different things.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Akeldama
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Level design as in actual geometry or as in artistic style? Because those are both very different things. "
both. 
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Very well then. I can certainly agree that Bioshock has excellent artistic design, especially in Fort Frolic and other areas of rapture like that. However, as far as actual geometric design.... I occasionally get lost, so take that as you will.

Oh, and Left 4 Dead is good on both counts, especially after listening to the audio commentary which shows how painstakingly precise the level design in that game was.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Damian

Assassins Creed. No contest.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Metroid545
@Damian said:
" Assassins Creed. No contest. "
what about them did you like? I found nothing to love about the map after 3 missions in
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EVO

Crush is a headfuck. The level designers must've been on drugs.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EvilTwin

Psychonauts if that is recent enough to count.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Akeldama
@Metroid545 said:
" @Damian said:
what about them did you like? I found nothing to love about the map after 3 missions in "
i sense sarcasm on his end.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JJOR64

Super Mario Galaxy.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Metroid545
@Akeldama said:
" @Metroid545 said:
" @Damian said:
what about them did you like? I found nothing to love about the map after 3 missions in "
i sense sarcasm on his end. "
lol if thats true then it went waaaay over my head
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Damian
@Metroid545: I'm just thinking about the work involved in making the level, and to whom I'd give the "award". AC levels were pretty accurate historically. The levels were massive and detailed. Most if not all sections were sort-of choreographed for faster, slicker action. And the ease in which Altair moves around the levels is a testament to all of that coming together in a way we just never seen before. 
The level designers for that game, both geometrically and artistically set a new bar for single player games. If the question were "best atmosphere" or "most FUN level design" then you'd probably get a different answer.
ImHungryx10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ImHungryx10

Psychonauts level design was amazingly fantastic. The milkman conspiracy level was just ...AH awesome.
God of war usually has some well designed levels too. Well certain worlds I guess you can say.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Lies

Fort Frolic from Bioshock

The segment immediately after the nuke in COD4

Galaxy also had some amazing level design, but nothing I can particularly pinpoint- game is just amazing all over.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

In terms of atmosphere, Bioshock is pretty hard to trump. 

Overall design, however, and mindfulness of design--Assassin's Creed is certainly up there. The level of interactivity in that game is pretty astounding.  

Similarly, Crackdown has a surprising level of player-level interactivity. 

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Metroid545
@Damian said:
" @Metroid545: I'm just thinking about the work involved in making the level, and to whom I'd give the "award". AC levels were pretty accurate historically. The levels were massive and detailed. Most if not all sections were sort-of choreographed for faster, slicker action. And the ease in which Altair moves around the levels is a testament to all of that coming together in a way we just never seen before. The level designers for that game, both geometrically and artistically set a new bar for single player games. If the question were "best atmosphere" or "most FUN level design" then you'd probably get a different answer. "
true I guess if the prize was most accurate to the stories date then yeah I can see why you'd pick AC
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Damian
@Metroid545:
I just mean overall effort. Only GTAIV comes close, but in Liberty City, the city as a whole is almost perfect, but when using it to play it doesn't feel related really. Nico is in a city. Altair is kinda one with his game world (by the way he uses it). Both done intentionally to differing effect of course. I just prefer levels designed around the avatar. Not the other way around.

Also, some of Braid's levels gave me goosebumps. Really simple esthetically, but scheme-wise there was some truly brilliant stuff in there.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Diamond

Demon's Souls.  That's really one of the things that makes the game great.  Both gameplay-wise and artistically.  The dungeons are amazing.

Bioshock too is one of the games that comes to mind when I think level design these days, but I'd say it's slightly limited in a gameplay sense because of the strong attempt (and successes) at creating a realistic environment.

The worlds of GTA4 and Assassin's Creed can often times be beautiful, but I feel the openness of those worlds really reflect more realism than helps the gameplay.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Damian
@Diamond: Different criteria I guess. BioShock didn't even come to mind, even though it's easily one of my favorite game-worlds. If I had to answer all-time, I'd say SotC. And it didn't even have "levels".
deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deusdigit
@Akeldama:
System Shock 2 had some of the most amazing single player design. it took alot of thought and opinion and dedication to come up with a creepy world like that one. Even tho its a old game, the shock value the game offers is so relevant in gaming today.
deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deusdigit
@Sir_Ragnarok:
Bioshock is absolutely astounding. i don't know about everyone else here, but i believe the genre, if you call it one "rpg shooter" could actually breathe life into the Dried up genre.
atlantabrave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By atlantabrave04
@Akeldama said:
"Anything in particular come to mind?   I really enjoyed the levels from Bioshock (just replayed it for the third time) "

I clicked this topic specifically to mention Bioshock. Good call.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By AgentJ

If Fallout 3 didn't have so many glitches, I'd probably go with that. It was rare that I didn't understand where I was supposed to be going