• 132 results
Posted by Aegon (5831 posts) 1 year, 18 days ago

Poll: Best Soundtrack of the Generation - Finals (498 votes)

Bastion 31%
Hotline Miami 47%
Mass Effect 12%
Mass Effect 2 10%

The winner after 3 PM EST on Dec 5th will be crowned as the Giant Bomb community's best soundtrack of the generation.

#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

#2 Posted by Flappy (2352 posts) -

Mass Effect

Mass Effect 2

What?

#3 Posted by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -

Mass Effect :O

#4 Posted by Mendelson9 (408 posts) -
#5 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1216 posts) -

Funny jokes you tell... but seriously where is Super Meat Boy?

#6 Posted by cloudymusic (1230 posts) -

Shaking my head and walking away.

#7 Posted by Chocobodude3 (643 posts) -

No Nier?

#8 Posted by RonGalaxy (3266 posts) -

The score for all 3 mass effects are supremely forgettable. As in, I cant even recall any of the music from those games. Isnt it just orchestral stuff?

#9 Edited by EricSmith (392 posts) -

Lack of Assassin's Creed 2 is disturbing.

#10 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

I'm not voting, because the true best soundtrack isn't here.

Nier 4ever

#11 Edited by csl316 (9441 posts) -

Bastion. Someone link the Darren/Ashley PAX performance because it's amazing.

I'd give Mass Effect's galaxy map tune best song, though. I liked slow mining in 2 just so I can take in that sweet, sweet ear candy.

Edit: Here. Stick around for Transistor grandness at the end.

#12 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

#13 Edited by Aegon (5831 posts) -

I hope those disappointed aren't pointing the finger at me. I'd put in Xenoblade and maybe a couple others instead. This is what people voted for.

#14 Posted by Belegorm (676 posts) -

I didn't actually really love any of the music this gen that much, but I'd probably have said FEZ, FTL, or maybe one of the other indie games I liked; sadly I missed the prior polls so here's some Bastion support!

Also ME and ME2... wat.

#15 Posted by cloudymusic (1230 posts) -

@aegon: Nope, just the voters. Between this and the CharacterOTG polls, it became clear pretty fast that a lot of people were just blindly voting for their favorite game or whatever. ("Yeah, a silent protagonist with zero lines of dialogue is totally worth voting for as the best character of the generation!")

#16 Posted by chkdsk1991 (33 posts) -

Lack of Assassin's Creed 2 is disturbing.

Agreed.

Mass Effect 1 and 2? Really?

#17 Posted by csx009 (48 posts) -

giant bomb in a nutshell right here.

#18 Edited by Pie (7111 posts) -

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Democracy simply doesn't work

#19 Edited by HH (626 posts) -

man, nothing there moves me.

mass effect i guess, but more for it's electronic bits than it's score.

meanwhile, for actual score nerds like myself, a Lethal Weapon box set was just released and i just spent all my next-gen money on it.

/dannygloveri'mtoooldforthisshitsaxophonesolo

#20 Posted by DarthOrange (3893 posts) -

Wow. Those are seriously the four finalists? Fuck the opinion of every one of you who voted those turds. I am going to go ahead and not vote. I am disappointed in all of you.

Starhawk. The Last of Us. Heavy Rain. Those games had extremely well done scores. Seriously, what the fuck?

#21 Edited by Thiago123 (496 posts) -

Lot's of hate, but I gotta say ME1 is one of my favorites for this past generation when it comes to orchestral/score/original music, along with Halo: Reach, Skyrim, Super Meat Boy and Dark Souls.

If we're talking licensed music, the ones that stuck most with me were Guitar Hero 2, Forza 2, Forza Horizon, Dirt 3, or Hotline Miami.

#22 Edited by Icicle7x3 (1203 posts) -

This forum's obsession with Mass Effect is getting ridiculous.

Anyway, Ill vote Bastion but I'm fine with Hotline Miami winning.

#23 Posted by BeachThunder (12411 posts) -

What a crummy list :c

#24 Posted by jiggajoe14 (832 posts) -

Miami of Hotline

#25 Posted by Encephalon (1334 posts) -

I dunno about this one, guys. I guess I'll vote for Bastion, but...

#26 Edited by LucidDreams117 (422 posts) -

Umm. This... these.... out of the last EIGHT years, this is what we have as the finals? By the way, Mass Effect has some of the best and most iconic music I've ever heard. And doesn't hold candle to Mass Effect 2. Should not be here. And I agree Hotline is pretty great. My cast is vote.

#27 Posted by believer258 (12187 posts) -

Any "Soundtrack of the generation" list that doesn't include Skyrim and Journey is just plain wrong.

What I've heard of Xenoblade's and Nier's soundtracks is very good as well.

I know it ain't your fault, Aegon.

#28 Posted by DeadpanCakes (1065 posts) -

Went with Bastion.

(Not) surprised games like Shatter, Super Meat Boy, and Dustforce didn't make it, but both Mass Effect's did.

Well, if there's one thing I learned from all this, it's that I should be ashamed for having never played Nier...

#30 Edited by altairre (1280 posts) -

As much as I love the Mass Effect series and as much as I like certain tracks of its soundtrack, this is crazy. At least Bastion is there so I'll vote for that but y'all should listen to the Xenoblade Chronicles OST regardless of wether you plan to play it or not.

@video_game_king: I'm curious what your picks would be. Your taste in videogame music seems to at least partially overlap with mine and I'm always interested to listen to new stuff but since I tend to play more of the well-known titles I miss quite a few great soundtracks (took me a while to get to Xenoblade).

#31 Edited by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

did uh....did everybody fall asleep and forget to go vote? How the hell did these end up as the finalists?

Do I like mozzarella cheese or gouda cheese? Gee I dunno they're both great but they're both just cheese....how about some variety?

#32 Posted by DonChipotle (2845 posts) -

You have disappointed me, Giant Bomb Community.

#33 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6145 posts) -

Oh of course Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2... What?

#34 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5991 posts) -

Now let me say I understand these polls are completely held upon the mass majority vote, and can bring about many different kinds of results, but how in the hell did Mass Effect 1 and 2 get on here.

#35 Posted by OmniscientCajun (140 posts) -

I fucking love the Hotline Miami soundtrack. But I have never voted for it in this bracket/award/thing. That a significant part of it is licensed takes away some of the magic that other fantastic soundtracks written specifically for the games they are featured in have.

OK, now that my principle reason has been put out there, I'm going to go listen to all the M|O|O|N tracks.

#36 Edited by GaspoweR (3489 posts) -

Murder Dancing

@believer258 said:

Any "Soundtrack of the generation" list that doesn't include Skyrim and Journey is just plain wrong.

I concur. Fighting random dragons isn't complete without the Skyrim theme. Also the ambient music in that game is fucking great.

#37 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

what

#38 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@altairre:

You should check out the nomination thread, but to keep it very short, the soundtracks that immediately come to mind are the somber and emotional Fragile Dreams, and just about anything Yoko Shimomura. Also:

Soundtracks to review to.

1. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu
Is it really any surprise? There are just so many memorable tracks from this game!
2. Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Man, does this game know how to work a piano. It knows exactly which notes to hit to make you feel whatever emotion it wants.
3. Bahamut Lagoon
Just like Fragile Dreams before it, Bahamut Lagoon's pretty good at laying down some emotional tracks.
4. Mystic Ark
How the hell did Produce make the SNES sound so good? Sometimes, it's hard to tell which track is the original, and which is the arrange. Also, crazy ass names abound. It's just a shame that my favorite track (Alone) is nowhere to be found on YouTube. Also, it sucks that the sequel dropped the crazy names for something much more boring.
5. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Not the PSP version (although I've nothing against that), but the SNES version. It's like a boisterous proto-Mystic Ark, in a sense. It's just the type of fighting spirit I could use while writing about how much I don't like Costume Quest.
6. Final Fantasy VI
Again, like Seisen no Keifu, so many memorable and beloved tracks to pick from.
7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
OK, I mostly listened to this one while I was reviewing the game in question. It's how I figured out that half the soundtrack is ripped from Link to the Past. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy it, though.
8. Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Honestly, how the crap can you question this? Michael Jackson wrote the soundtrack. He snuck Smooth Criminal into the Ice Cap Zone. That is just all kinds of awesome.
9. SaGa
(Specifically, the Romancing variant of it.) Technically, I should only list Romancing SaGa 3 here, since 1 is hard as hell to find on YouTube (hint: English won't do you any favors), and I'm pretty sure that 2 isn't even on YouTube, but they're all so good. Kenji Ito sure as shit knows how to compose stylistic music.
10. Hatsune Miku
Goddamn it. I guess that's it. I've crossed the weeaboo line. There's no going back now. I have to admit, though, that this Vocaloid can work wonders when used properly. You (I) have Icemael to blame.
11. Fire Emblem Gaiden
I'm trying to institute a new rule where for each review I write, I try to write it to a video game soundtrack I haven't already done for this. This time, we have Fire Emblem Gaiden, which manages to eke in with a decent fantasy soundtrack, ranging from energetic to just plain mystical.
12. Yoko Shimomura
Oh, Ms. Shimomura. Only your elegant, sonorous pieces could help me survive the terror of reliving Alone in the Dark for review purposes.
13. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
And following Ms. Shimomura is a soundtrack that's simultaneously bouncy and emotional. It's like Fragile Dreams Pinball, only not that fucking insane.
14. Terranigma
While I'm here, I might as well add the Terranigma soundtrack. So distinctive and soft. The sad thing is that neither of the composers for this game ever worked on anything else (as far as I can tell).
15. Liberation Maiden
Appropriately for when reviewing Liberation Maiden.
16. Silence
Maybe I should listen to this one more often. Knocked out that Metal Gear Solid 2 review in a day.
17. Panzer Dragoon Saga
Or maybe it was the fact that I dedicated a fucking day to writing a review. Worked for Metal Gear Solid 2, and worked for Pandora's Tower, as well. Oh, the soundtrack? Right, right. There's this strange organic, otherworldly quality about it that's hard to put into words.
18. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
God, there's something so fantastical and whimsical about this game's music that's just so endearing. Strange to pair it with a review of a game that isn't terribly whimsical (Fire Emblem), but what's done is done.
#39 Edited by altairre (1280 posts) -
#40 Posted by Xanadu (424 posts) -

No Journey? I refuse to participate.

#41 Posted by WalkmanBoy (81 posts) -

Well, seems like Hotline Miami is winning so I'm happy. Y'all getting mad at an unofficial forum vote is pretty silly though. Come on guys.

#42 Edited by Hunter5024 (5963 posts) -

Maybe I'm just bitter that Bastion is losing, but I just went and listened to like a half an hour of the Hotline Miami soundtrack and I'm really not digging it. It seems kind of like a perfect storm of "I was alive during the 80s and hell yeah electronic music" which explains why its so popular with video game fans. Just ehh... Bastion and Nier are both way better.

#43 Posted by Petiew (1361 posts) -

Y'all getting mad at an unofficial forum vote is pretty silly though. Come on guys.

#44 Posted by mrfluke (5341 posts) -

Well, seems like Hotline Miami is winning so I'm happy. Y'all getting mad at an unofficial forum vote is pretty silly though. Come on guys.

#45 Posted by fisk0 (4485 posts) -

Aren't pretty much all the songs in ME2 just reworked and a bit more bland/cinematic versions of ME1's excellent tracks? Of the poll alternatives, I still think Bastion had the best soundtrack though, it did it's own kinda unique thing instead of just being derivative of 80's or early 90's electronic music, which I think both Mass Effect's and Hotline Miami's music were.

#48 Edited by BigJeffrey (5178 posts) -

@nekroskop: I think gifs work like regular images now.

#49 Edited by Master_Funk (741 posts) -

LOL at mass effect soundtracks. Out of those choices, Hotline Miami easily.

#50 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -