Best Soundtrack of the Generation - Semifinals, Group 1

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Best Soundtrack of the Generation - Semifinals, Group 1 (280 votes)

Mass Effect 19%
Hotline Miami 40%
FTL 7%
Journey 17%
Super Mario Galaxy 2 5%
Dark Souls 5%
xenoblade 6%

Top 2 move on to the finals. Poll results final as of Tuesday December 3rd after 3 PM EST.

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

X

enoblade

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'll give it to Mass Effect. It transported me to the future.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

FTL. That title track makes me just want to sit and listen.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Xenoblade Chronicles, of course.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Immortal_Guy

You can't make me pit FTL against Xenoblade. That's not fair!

Edit: Picked FTL in the end. Relieved to see that FTL and Xenoblade both have the same score. Disappointed to see them both being hammered by Hotline Miami...

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Journey. The fascination with Hotline Miami and it's soundtrack still eludes me...

Ideally, I want the finals to be Journey vs Nier, and then Nier takes it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@esrever said:

The fascination with Hotline Miami and its soundtrack still eludes me...

Yep, I agree. I think that M.O.O.N track is pretty all right; I don't really have any particular reverence for the rest of the soundtrack though. Also, for the game itself: overall, I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say anything more than that.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By csl316

Interesting how Hotline Miami could take this. But a lot of people tend to evaluate game soundtracks by a 10 second clip they like. "Good music." Well... more like catchy section that loops over and over.

The music enhanced the vibe, I guess. That counts for something.

I should add that I love Hotline Miami.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Hotline Miami here since it's the only one I've actually listened to outside of the game.

It's probably in another group but Super Meat Boy is my favorite soundtrack.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Rising didn't make it.... Ugggggghhhhhhhhh

Hotline Miami

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I voted for ME in the GotG competition, but I can't do so again in good faith. Xenoblade gets my vot--

Welp, that was a wasted vote.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@csl316 said:

Interesting how Hotline Miami could take this. But a lot of people tend to evaluate game soundtracks by a 10 second clip they like. "Good music." Well... more like catchy section that loops over and over.

Yeah I guess if someone didn't like electronic music, they might tune out most of the layers that exist beneath the obvious recurring patterns. If you pay attention to all the elements of the track, you realize that it's not just a loop.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Journey is one of the very few game soundtracks I listen to outside of the game, it's truly beautiful. I assume by Mass Effect you mean the series as a whole because I wouldn't rate the soundtrack for ME1 as highly as the other two.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Canteu

Dark souls.

Hotline Miami is just boring techno licensed tracks. That's dumb.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Journey, it was nominated for a Grammy after all.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By DeadpanCakes

Hotline Miami had a fantastic licensed soundtrack, but I'm (personally) looking towards original scores, and Xenoblade wasn't memorable to me at the time of playing it (though listening back to the music alone, it's great). Same with Mass Effect. I have to go with Journey.

Also, holy wow, all of my nominations made it pretty far. :D

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@canteu said:

Dark souls.

Wait, Hotline Miami's soundtrack is licensed? Oh, come on.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@hailinel said:

@canteu said:

Dark souls.

Wait, Hotline Miami's soundtrack is licensed? Oh, come on.

it's well used in the game, there are original tracks, and it adds to the atmosphere in the game that the others on the list don't.

I didn't even vote for it (I voted for DS), but it's a lot more than just Madden's EA trax or whatever.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By csl316

@saturdaynightspecials said:

@csl316 said:

Yeah I guess if someone didn't like electronic music, they might tune out most of the layers that exist beneath the obvious recurring patterns. If you pay attention to all the elements of the track, you realize that it's not just a loop.

I like electronic music and own a great deal of it. My experience with Hotline was in the context of the game and it honestly got tiresome. When you're in a level for 15 minutes listening to Hydrogen over and over my mind didn't gravitate toward the subtle shifts. It focused on the looping melody that relentlessly takes precedence for 4 minutes straight. Granted, I didn't follow the game's prompt of "best with headphones."

That's my experience, that's why I didn't vote for it. It fits the aesthetic but I wish there was more variation when you're just stuck at a checkpoint (which the game design leads to eventually). During Brad's stream he couldn't progress and just mixing up the audio a little would've been nice. A Best of the Generation soundtrack should be as flawless as possible in context of the game and as a stand-alone album.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the first I've seen of this series of polls, so I'd just like to ask if, at some point during these discussions, Remember Me was brought up.

Loading Video...

Because goddamn if it isn't one of the coolest video game soundtracks I've heard in the past few years.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@csl316: If you're stuck on the same checkpoint for 15 minutes then listening to the same loop fits the situation. You aren't progressing, why should the music? You're doing the same thing over and over so listening to the same beat over and over is apt. If you eventually learn the levels and are going for high scores then the progression through the levels and the tracks goes at quite a clip.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Man, all of my favorites are getting the short end of the stick. Oh well.

I'm actually genuinely surprised Mass Effect's gotten anywhere. I don't seem recall the soundtrack being all that memorable.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Flappy

@sissylion: That's pretty funky. You get a star in my book!

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is Journey losing?! I mean, come on.

Loading Video...
altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X

enoblade

Absolutely. I can't believe it's losing so clearly but I guess that game wasn't as popular as the others? I never played it myself but that soundtrack is absolutely amazing and nearly all tracks are fantastic which is impressive considering there are so many of them. Should win this whole thing in my book but the other contenders are pretty good too so whatever.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@csl316 said:

You pretty much nailed why people like it so much. The music does more for that game then any non-music game I can think of. I don't think I would have liked Hotline Miami much without the music and I don't really like the music much without Hotline Miami. Everything just worked together perfectly.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

This was hard for me. The music in FTL really is special. I think it's the best Sci Fi music out there in games. Mass Effect of course has a few killer tracks (Death Theme, Menu Music and the Faunt's track at the end).

The fact that Hotline's music is licensed is actually a huge part of it being so impressive. Licensed soundtracks tend to majorly suck (unless we're talking about NBA Street 2). The way they all fit together so perfectly, the tone and feeling they create. Un fucking real. Just unbelievable. Unheard of!! Whoever curated that list is music master beyond music masters. Also there are those Jasper Byrne tracks (of Deus Ex fame) which were created for the game and they are aamaaaazing (High Score music, for example).

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By emfromthesea

Despite them not being my nominations, I'm happy to see Hotline Miami and Bastion do so well. They would definitely be on my top 10 of most memorable/favourite soundtracks of this generation.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

HM is sick

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well at least Mass Effect isn't going to lose to Mass Effect 2, I would lose my shit.

Hotline Miami had a pretty damn sweet sound-track.

Genuinely confused at the lack of Super Meat Boy though.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How the hell are Journey and Dark Souls up there?

Anyways, I picked Mass Effect 2. Such an epic sound track. Hotline Miami's is great too.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By xyzygy

Hotline Miami has only a few good tracks. Whereas something like Xenoblade should be award winning.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skytylz said:

@csl316 said:

You pretty much nailed why people like it so much. The music does more for that game then any non-music game I can think of. I don't think I would have liked Hotline Miami much without the music and I don't really like the music much without Hotline Miami. Everything just worked together perfectly.

Indeed. When I played it a second time after the Vita release I was blowing through the levels and it was amazing. The whole package just being awesome together.

The first time I felt it got monotonous because I was sucking and dying constantly, and outside of the game it didn't have the same impact for me. But that second playthrough really made me appreciate it more.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

no contest.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By shiftymagician

This is the first I've seen of this series of polls, so I'd just like to ask if, at some point during these discussions, Remember Me was brought up.

Loading Video...

Because goddamn if it isn't one of the coolest video game soundtracks I've heard in the past few years.

Rest assured that it did. I and maybe a couple other guys brought it up. Unfortunately almost everyone will not remember this beautiful soundtrack.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

FTL. Milky Way is sooooooooooooooo good. Never really noticed the music in Dark Souls.

chkdsk1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Assassin's Creed II or Deus ex Human Revolution? :(

As much as I love Dark Souls the soundtrack is just decent.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bunnymud

Mass Effect almost had me until I read Hotline Miami. Now, if this were a battle of just OST recordings...

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: That's fair, much as I like the MOON tracks, they are very repetitive. But there are just as many tracks that build and go places. For example Miami Disco, Inner Animal, Knock Knock.

Besides, there's something to be said for repetitive music when you're in the middle of a robotically efficient killing spree.