#1 Posted by ChanimalPlanet (7 posts) -

I am looking for a new TV for my Gaming Room that would give me the best picture for my casual gaming needs. I would be using the TV with my PS3.

What are the key words/features i need to look for in a TV?

Thanks for the help.

Chad in Houston

#2 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

You should be okay as long as you get an LCD display capable of (at minimum) 720p, and a HDMI port.

I'd avoid a plasma display because of burn-in issues and I'd steer clear of LED displays because of the price increase.

Edit: I stand corrected. It's been awhile since I've shopped for a TV, it seems ;)

#3 Posted by McLargepants (354 posts) -

As a counter point, Plasmas are fantastic for gaming because of the deep blacks and extremely fast response time. Plus Burn-in hasn't really been a problem for years now. For Plasmas, Panasonic makes really great TVs, and the lower end models (1080p but no 3D or smart stuff) is usually around 600-700 dollars. But LCD can be more manageable (reflections aren't as big of a deal, and they're usually a little lighter), and cheaper. I'd say find a 1080p one still though, you don't want 720p holding you back (it won't matter so much for your PS3, but you want to future proof your purchase as much as possible). I've had a few Samsungs that I've really liked in the past for LCDs. I'd go to a best buy and see if one stands out, check out reviews on amazon, and then purchase from a place that's convenient to you.

In terms of features, I'd say really all that's essential is 720p (really really really should go for 1080p) and HDMI inputs.

#4 Posted by RawknRo11a (550 posts) -

Yea, should need anything too fancy. Hell, I've got a Vizio from Wal-Mart thats about 4 years old and has a great picture. AND it was only about 3/4 the price of a similar sized Sony or Panasonic, ect.

As Ravenlight said, LCD is definitely the way to go (as long as it's over a certain size I think most all are 1080p).

What it really comes down to is how much you wanna spend?

#5 Posted by mikey87144 (1649 posts) -

Plasma displays don't really have that burn issue anymore. To get rid of that all you would need to do is watch some TV or play another game. For size and picture quality Plasma gives you more bang for your buck. I'd start looking for Plasma screens that have at least a 120hz refresh rate. Also do not get less than a 1080p display. New consoles are right around the corner and you'll want your TV to be at least 1080p to play those games.

#6 Edited by Nickieroonie (141 posts) -

It's worth taking a peek at some reviews to see if there are any notable characteristics pertaining to the model(s) that you're looking at. For example, a particular model might display colors more vibrantly than another model does.

For size, you can generally multiply the distance in feet by 10 to give you the size required in inches. For example, if you're seated approximately 4 feet away from your TV, shoot for 40+ inches. This is ultimately a personal preference, though.

Other than that, go with what Ravenlight suggested. Shoot for 1080p if you can afford it!

edit: I can also vouch for plasmas being totally fine nowadays re: burning. As far as I know you'll have the easiest time finding a 120hz+ refresh rate on a plasma TV. It looks super smooth and nice if you can find one.

#7 Posted by Robinson (170 posts) -

@Ravenlight: The burn-in effect you mention has been dealt with in newer plasmas and is not an issue. I would go plasma

#8 Posted by ChanimalPlanet (7 posts) -

Thanks everybody!!!

Yall have been very helpful. I may go plasma seeing that i may not have much time for those marathon gaming sessions (Sad).

Thanks again... and have a happy new year!!!

#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

@ChanimalPlanet: One thing to keep in mind that I didn't see mentioned is watch out for TV's with a glossy screen finish. I just bought a TV a month back, 50 inch Panasonic plasma, and I love everything about it but the glossy finish. I'm in a pretty dark room that only has one outside facing window and it's rather annoying having everything in the room reflect off of it even with the one window lighting the room. If this TV is going into a room with any kind of outside lighting you will not be able to play it during the day because of the reflection. Even when I play at night when it's dark I can still see all the little LED lights from stuff in my room reflecting off it and it can be rather distracting.

Keep that in mind and make sure the TV you want has enough HDMI ports for everything you want. Sadly from when I was doing research it seems like 2 HDMI was the norm until you jumped into the $1000+ market of TV's which is a real kick in the balls that TV makers do stupid shit like that.

#10 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

You should be okay as long as you get an LCD display capable of (at minimum) 720p, and a HDMI port.

I'd avoid a plasma display because of burn-in issues and I'd steer clear of LED displays because of the price increase.

I would say that's kinda outdated info. At this point you're wasting money getting 720p for how cheap it is to go full HD and plasma burn-in hasn't been an issue in a long time.

I'd still avoid LED though. Just not really worth what they want for it. Also don't pay a premium for a smart TV or 3DTV, I mean if it's on sale and matches a normal TV then whatever, but don't go out of your way to find one.

#11 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@McLargepants said:

As a counter point, Plasmas are fantastic for gaming because of the deep blacks and extremely fast response time. Plus Burn-in hasn't really been a problem for years now. For Plasmas, Panasonic makes really great TVs, and the lower end models (1080p but no 3D or smart stuff) is usually around 600-700 dollars. But LCD can be more manageable (reflections aren't as big of a deal, and they're usually a little lighter), and cheaper. I'd say find a 1080p one still though, you don't want 720p holding you back (it won't matter so much for your PS3, but you want to future proof your purchase as much as possible). I've had a few Samsungs that I've really liked in the past for LCDs. I'd go to a best buy and see if one stands out, check out reviews on amazon, and then purchase from a place that's convenient to you.

In terms of features, I'd say really all that's essential is 720p (really really really should go for 1080p) and HDMI inputs.

100% this, although my Panasonic plasma doesn't reflect at all, the screen looks like an LCD (no reflections, almost matte) which surprised me. My old LG plasma reflected like crazy, hated it.

@RawknRo11a said:

As Ravenlight said, LCD is definitely the way to go

LCD/LED is only the way to go if you want 32" or smaller, as plasmas rarely come below 37".

Plasmas are the better televisions from a quality standpoint, better black levels, better response times and far better handling of standard definition content. (not a big deal for some, but it's a nice bonus for older consoles)

#12 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

A TV with a really fast response rate. Plasmas have great response times. Some LCDs have good response times too. I have an LCD with a 5 ms response time and have yet to see blurring or have had issues with lag.

#13 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Ravenlight said:

I would say that's kinda outdated info. At this point you're wasting money getting 720p for how cheap it is to go full HD and plasma burn-in hasn't been an issue in a long time.

I'd still avoid LED though. Just not really worth what they want for it. Also don't pay a premium for a smart TV or 3DTV, I mean if it's on sale and matches a normal TV then whatever, but don't go out of your way to find one.

Can you even get a current TV without LED backlighting? I know it's hard to find monitors that are CCFL these days, and even then they'll cost more cause they're older and by that, rarer.

#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@MikkaQ said:

@Ravenlight said:

Can you even get a current TV without LED backlighting? I know it's hard to find monitors that are CCFL these days, and even then they'll cost more cause they're older and by that, rarer.

Well yeah I bought a strictly LCD TV earlier this year. Actually twice this year, but I was sharing that one for a while with my roommate and I sold my half to him.

It's still the only way to reliably find a good-sized 1080p TV for under a thousand bucks.

#15 Posted by ajamafalous (11813 posts) -

I just bought (like, last week) a 39" 1080p LCD Insignia from Best Buy and it's awesome. Have my new PS3 hooked up to it and also have it hooked up as a second monitor. It's awesome.

#16 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

Recently bought a Panasonic Plasma had a Samsung LCD before. The Panasonic Plasma decimates the Samsung in every single aspect, the picture quality is just wonderful. Don't get bought in my Smart TV's or 3D bullshit you will never use those features.

#17 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

The other thing I would suggest is calibrating your TV once you get it. Depending on how much money you spend on the TV you'll get varying levels of quality right out of the box. The cheaper the TV is the less likely it will look 'right' when you first set it up. I bought my 37" Vizio LCD TV about 3-4 years ago for about $500 and out of the box it looked awful. It had too much great, the contrast was too high, and on and on it went. The TV came with a lot of options for calibrating but I really didn't know how to calibrate properly.

I'd suggest going here; http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration. This is a really cool calibration tool that comes with detailed instructions on how to use the tool properly. It made my TV look really good. I've used it on other TVs and it has worked well with those too.

#18 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2205 posts) -

I'm not sure about the NA region but prices for a full HD LCD TV has gotten to the point where you could pick up a 40" for a really cheap AU$500-$700. Also get a TV with more than one component input as well as a few HDMI ports and composite ports.

#19 Posted by ChanimalPlanet (7 posts) -

Thanks again for all of the help!!!

#20 Posted by Mr402 (136 posts) -

Wait until right around the Super Bowl if your in the market for a new television. That's when you will see the biggest sales of the year from most major retailers. Hold off a couple of weeks for your purchase and you will save yourself a lot of money. Or be able to stay within your budget and still get those features such as 3D and Smart capability. As to what type I agree with others about going plasma over lcd or led. I stand by plasmas and as long as manufacturers are making those panels that is what I am going to own. Above all else be patient with your purchase and shop around!